NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Okay dang it, what's going on? I got that same error message with Pool House. Is this a default sphere or something? I haven't changed anything in my studio, so why am I suddenly getting this stupid message?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The Environment Sphere is part of Default Lights and Shaders for DAZ Studio.

edited December 1969

Yeah, well why did it disappear on its own- I didn't even close the studio- and how do I get it back please?

edited December 1969

Reinstall Default Lights and Shaders

edited December 1969

I used the two dollar coupon on nails earlier. I am having trouble finding items eligible for the new coupon : BYOFLASH nothing I've tried has thus far been elligible

What have you tried? It has to be exactly 3 items, excludes new items, PC+, and vendors already on flash sale.

Are these items too new?

Sebastian Hair Bundle
    Ultimate Natural for Michael 6 Body
    Ivanna for Genesis 2 Female(s)

Marketing says they tested those three items and it works.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited June 2015

Thanks FixMyPCMike. Sorry, was on my cell and couldn't leave a longer message. =-)

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

I'm not using 4.8 and not going to install it. Is there some place to manually get the 4.7 default lights and shaders/

edited December 1969

Interesting. It shows one of the 4.8 default lights and shaders as installed- I don't remember doing that- and one waiting to be installed. I uninstalled it. I have already backed up my 4.7 version- where would I find the default light and shaders so I can copy it to where it needs to go? (says the non-technical person.)

edited December 1969

Did you save the previous version?

edited June 2015

The file should be called:

IM00013176-42_DefaultLightsandShadersforDAZStudio

see if you may have it archived. It would be an installer you backed up with your other DAZ STudio 4.7 files.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

If you don't have the old one backed up you should be fine installing the 4.8 one -- it adds Iray content but the prior content is unchanged.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    edited December 1969

I've seen the Ciao Bella Outfit for Genesis 2 Female(s) used in images in this thread, so I want to alert you to two bugs I've found in the product. There are easy fixes for both:

1) The jacket loads with incorrect diffuse texture map for the buttons (pants texture instead of jacket texture) . You can even see the error in the promo images! The button looks like it is white with part of some blue jeans in the corner. If you just apply the jacket material file after loading the jacket, that problem gets corrected, and you have the gold metal buttons the jacket was supposed to have.

2) The outfit loads with Interactive Update On in the Mesh Smoothing for the jacket, Pants, and Shoes. This slows your viewport interface down terribly. I can hardly move parameter or pose control sliders once this outfit is loaded into my scene. Fix this by changing Interactive Update to Off on all three items (Jacket, Pants, Shoes) and get your viewport responsiveness back again. You'll find this setting in the Parameters tab.

I hope you find this helpful. I'm going to submit a bug report to DAZ.

4_Interactive_Smoothing.PNG
    574 x 381 - 30K
    3_Right_Buttons_Buttons.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
    2_Wrong_button_texture.jpg
    384 x 410 - 103K
    1_Wrong_Buttons.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
    edited June 2015

Very useful info- thank you so much!

Yep, here's the render with that outfit and you can see the buttons. I just loaded the outfit and went on my merry way, lol.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/52145/P690/#832814

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

BTW, thanks to everyone for their help. I went ahead and loaded 4.8, what the heck. If I don't like the version, I'll go back to 4.7.

edited December 1969

Has anyone rendered Indoor Pool House? At 9 minutes, it hasn't even started rendering. (In both 4.7 and 4.8) I don't want sets that take forever to do. There weren't any people or anything added to the scene, it was the set and only the set. Has anyone zipped right along rendering this?

http://www.daz3d.com/indoor-pool-house

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Very useful info- thank you so much!

Yep, here's the render with that outfit and you can see the buttons. I just loaded the outfit and went on my merry way, lol.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/52145/P690

As you should be able to do! I've submitted a bug report. We'll see.... They seldom fix what I report, but this one is pretty egregious with the interactive update turned on. I've already fixed my own copy by editing the duf files with Notepad++. Pretty easy to make the small changes necessary.
    edited December 1969

Does the QA team fix this stuff or do they kick it back to the vendor? I assume the latter.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Does the QA team fix this stuff or do they kick it back to the vendor? I assume the latter.
    I don't know. It is a buy out, evidently, because it is listed as DAZ Original, Mada. So, I think that means DAZ is responsible for it. The fixes are trivial, if they will just do them.
    edited December 1969

I think the PAs are the ones who fix it. But not sure. I've had a few tickets which never were fixed and one that has been open for at least a year.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Something easy like the buttons on a DO is almost certainly fixed by QA. Most of the updates that have come out that fixed minor glitches in products have also been fixed by QA. I know I had an error in some shaders (I didn't notice UV had gotten added to shaders when it first was done) and QA quickly and silently fixed it without ever even letting me know it needed to be done. The fix would have been doable via a text edit and would have taken seconds so it was no doubt faster to just do it than write me an email and explain what needed to be done. Something more complex the PA would need to take care of themselves.

edited December 1969

How's your DAZ Studio 4.8 experience, Novica? Did the upgrade go well?

edited December 1969

Haven't used it. Frankly, I was reading the mumbo jumbo threads on iray and totally disgusted with the lack of organization and lost interest in trying it at all, then with so much time wasted I decided not to render anything in 3DL either. Working on my book and yardwork. Thanks for asking though!

edited December 1969

I have tried in 4.7 and now in 4.8 to render Indoor Pool House. I returned it because of the render time. Aka, it didn't- not even after 9 minutes. It hadn't even started. While still in 4.7 I had rendered something after that and it did fine, so wasn't the studio hanging up. Tried again, same thing. Set is not rendering after a long time of waiting. Size wasn't even over 900 pixels for pete's sake.

I closed down the studio (4.7) and tried again. Same thing. So installed 4.8 and tried twice, same thing. You might not have the same problem, and I don't want to discourage anyone from buying it and trying it (I put a request in for a refund an hour ago, and it's already done) but I have to be honest about my experience. I had combined (and put on this thread) Indoor Pool with Classic Deco http://www.daz3d.com/classic-deco to create a unique indoor pool / home area, so I'll use that.

So if anyone has rendered Indoor Pool House, please feel free to share. I don't want my experience to be the only reflection of this product, it's only one person's experience. If you do have it, test it please for render time. I kept my settings the same (.30 shading rate, etc) so they are on excellent, but it's the same with all my renders and that's the way it should be when doing a comparison.

edited December 1969

Oh goody, Lyoness 60% flash sale. I was waiting on Darby, Anita, and Christina. :)

edited December 1969

I picked up Little Soldiers Bundle for $23.98 ($59.95), Gareth $7.18 ($17.95), Pierrette $11.18 ($27.95) for the create your own flash sale. (Yes, this is a different one. Check the rotating banner. There was one prior to this one.)

That little soldiers bundle has 4 products in it, and only 3 would be the $60, so it's a good deal anyway. Then at 60% off, it's playtime!
    http://www.daz3d.com/little-soldiers-bundle
    http://www.daz3d.com/gareth-hd-for-michael-6
    http://www.daz3d.com/pierrette

I think Pierrette would make a good children's doll. There's a new texture set for it (have to wait for it to go off new status, no rush.)
    I know we've rendered Gareth before on this thread. I remember I like him a lot.

Check fast grab as it has changed in the past day. Don't know if it was last night or not. Changing almost daily this past week.
    What are you folks buying?

edited December 1969

Gareth is my favorite Gen 6 Raiya male. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I don't have the other two.

I have been tempted by a few things, but just bought the two Xurge3d Gen2Female new releases. I love Xurge3d's reasonable intro pricing of 10 dollars an outfit.

I am tempted by the Wireframe and Hologram Shaders which just went off new status also Laser Sword and Poses and Ivanna for Genesis 2 Female(s)

edited December 1969

Thr BYO Flash works on top of the 60% shader sale. I got:
    Ron's Mud $2.87
    Totally Bazaar 2 $3.52
    Totally Bazaar 1 $3.51

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Thr BYO Flash works on top of the 60% shader sale. I got:
    Ron's Mud $2.87
    Totally Bazaar 2 $3.52
    Totally Bazaar 1 $3.51

Excellent!!! Totally Bazaar is AWESOME. (as of course are all of Ron's.)
    I went for the more expensive wishlist stuff- grabbed the soldiers because my books are going to be for kids and I have a lot of the toon generations stuff. The heroes were tempting but could only do 3 items.

When you play with your Bazaar materials, would love to see what you come up with :)
    For the shaders, I got one of the yarn ones, the quilts/calico, tree bark, industrial walls, antique grunge, DG Shader Essentials 3. Don't know when I'll get to putz around with them but happy with the 60% off. Thanks for letting folks know it stacks with the build your own flash.

edited December 1969

Gareth is my favorite Gen 6 Raiya male. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I don't have the other two.

I have been tempted by a few things, but just bought the two Xurge3d Gen2Female new releases. I love Xurge3d's reasonable intro pricing of 10 dollars an outfit.

I am tempted by the Wireframe and Hologram Shaders which just went off new status also Laser Sword and Poses and Ivanna for Genesis 2 Female(s)

Do you happen to know where your Gareth render is? I think you did one, right?
    Oooh, those wireframe/hologram shaders look cool. Hope you scoop it up and have fun with it!

edited June 2015

Pierrette
    http://www.daz3d.com/pierrette

Pierrette is fun- you have the natural face or the painted one. These are the slightly changed promo lights from one of the other AprilYSH products.

Click to enlarge/click again, large render.

Pierretteprint.jpg
    1541 x 1967 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.