Be Honest, Is Daz the best for animation?

Comments

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131
    edited January 2018

Post edited by FrankTheTank on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited June 2016

HA ha,  that $1.77 in ad revenue.is how much my video(s) have made since june1st 2016.  Youtube has a 28 day cycle,   my year to date ad revenue is more like a couple hundred bucks.. still not much compared what you put into these. animations  most of my ad revenue comes from my music videos not my animations believe it or not. so yea having your own web site is a much better this is mine http://www.ivysdomain.com/

Post edited by Ivy on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,326
    Ivy said:

Hi DominicTesla

Because I am a Google partner  & use a lot of sound and music files in my animations  Google, YouTube, Facebook,   Have all asked me for proof of being allowed to use those sound files.  they usually ask for links in a PDF doc.       I have had YouTube once ask me for proof for my usage for my daz 3d content ( see screen shot 2) which I had to use a screen shot of the products i was using in question in my daz account to prove i had usage rights to them.  So its become a automatic habit for me to just have all this paper work ready for them when they come asking . I started just using pdf docs like this one and loading them to my own web site.

But i have a whole web page on my web site that is just for copyright in formation and coprights for Ivy Summers for my animations  & art work as well.  and I didn't stop there, I  felt it was in my best interest to protect my own content so I had a lawyer friend right me up a terms of use for my stuff.    Plus I figure while i was at it I mise well list all the products i had used in my films so other daz users can see the products i am using  .

Plus  Its amazing at how many greedy money grubbing free loading companies such as rumblefish or CD Baby that do nothing but surf youtube and social sites like youtube. (see capture 1 below)  that will pray on you & make false copyright claims on your stuff to try to gain monetary value from your work. even though its not theirs.   you need to ready for them to prove ownership of your work.. the capture below was a false claim agaisnt one of my animations where i had recorded some bird chipping sounds  and they try to claim it was their bird sounds..  (give me a break.) this is the video in question.    which once i proved I owned and had rights to everything yotube release the claim

So  yea if your planning on using sound files and daz products on YouTube , I would be prepared to have this information for the wolves of the internet.. other wise they only give you 14 days to prove ownership or they will pull your video, or attach their name or someone elses to your work  with their own advertisements & credits & not yours

there is a heck of a lot more to making and posting animations in social media than their is posting still render art.  animations requires a lot more proof of copyrights, but doing so keeps my Google partnership stanadards in good shape. see capture below.   if your an animator you almost need a lawyer in your pocket, thats why I list my end credts at the end of the film in  case someone tries stealing it . they got a lot of work to do, to remove those meta data tags from my film..lol

That is an excellent cautionary explanation.  Definitely need to be aware of the wolves out there! 

edited June 2016

Wolves would be a understatement.  The stories I could tell .lol

I had this girl from Ohio once in 2013 make a claim against me on my web site, she wrote my web hosting company  and told them i was stealing her videos in a sworn affidavit,  so once i proved i had ownership of all my content by these dated pdf documents and my dates of my postings on YouTube.  my web hosting company released my site back to me.. and in turned I got a lawyer and went to federal court & sued the girl for false accusations  & slander because of what she wrote in her report to my hosting company and I won a federal civil court judgment against her.  so it really pays off to keep your paperwork in order.

I also have a on going stalking case since 2010  in federal court, that I can not talk about. but when the case is done.  i promise you I will be making a full news report on this person stalking me. The FBI contacted my lawyer a couple of weeks ago is also started investigating this case as a hate crime as well,  So social media really does have its looney's

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643

I never monetize my videos (allow commercials) so I haven't been bothered - yet.

edited January 2018

edited June 2016

Too much drama! You don't need to make animations about fictional karate girl, just make them about yourself ;)

I agree with Kevin, I don't think I will ever bother monetizing on youtube. I'll probably just use that as one of many avenues to bring an audience to my own website and build a portfolio of work, and of course gain constructive criticism, which is my main concern now as I learn.

One thing about a private web site over a social media web site is you will never be able to get the traffic to your personal web site so people will find and watch your videos like you will on social media. so you will need to attach some kind of social media to your web site to bring the desired traffic you are wanting.

With that said. even if you don't monetize your animations YouTube Veimo and Facebook still have their low life perditors companies that will make claims against your videos and claim credits & monetize your videos even if you don't want them to  anyway so you mise well be prepared for it. . that was the only reason I became  a YouTube partner. so I was able to dispute these false claims.  and even though I never made any money off the YouTube partnership program its has tools that allows you to add features to your web site using videos that you will not have other wise not to mention the Google analytics that comes with a YouTube partnership are worth being a partner for just for the ability to trace your traffic with..  Just something to think about as your making your films .  My advice is, its always best to keep a written doc of what you used and the links to where you can find the items you use in your films or someone will eventually make a claim on your videos and try to monetize it  and there will be nothing you can do about it accept delete the video  if you do not have proof of ownership. and if you had that video embed on your site Via YouTube of Veimo  then you lost the ability to show your own works on your own site linked to any social site.

I have no idea how much experience you have with web site design and coding. But embedding animation in HTML5 code with video controls so you can show case  your videos on your own site is not as easy as it sounds and can be time consuming and that still does not stop someone making a claim against your animation on your own site.  I use html5 to embed my own adult rated animations. so I know what I am talking about.

If you think Hobby animators have a hard time  with these issues. you should see the stuff big companies like Disney and Dreamworks have to put up with.  that is why they have teams of lawyers.. I personally don't care how someone wants to show case their work .. this is just some friendly advice from someone that has been making &showing animations for over 8 years   so please take my advice as you see how it will attain to your own work.  I'm just telling you to what to beware of .

Oh and BTW my Karate Girl adventure cartoons are trademarked and copyrighted under my Business . which can be found at http://www.uspto.gov/trademark

it cost about $300 to register a copyright yourself & why I did this was so I had the ability to sell my Karate girl adventures stories to a gaming company in the future if i was approached

Post edited by Ivy on

I never monetize my videos (allow commercials) so I haven't been bothered - yet.

if your using sounds files it will be just a matter of time before it does effect you

I use sound with my VO demos and not a peep. Haven't used sound yet with the animation tests. They do scrutinize videos you want to monetize more closely, Ivy.

edited June 2016

I dunno Kevin  ask Wendy Vainity how many times she has been questioned on her sound files from Youtube. I am guessing that is why she make her own sound files.

If a company can make a copyright claim against one of my videos  because of some Bird chipping sounds I recorded my self . then I would dare say they would try it on anything  they think they can get away with

Post edited by Ivy on

Oh, I'm not disagreeing Ivy, I'm just saying monetizing brings extra scrutiny. Then someone sees ads before your clip so they assume you are making money, and then threaten to sue. If the ad wasn't there, they couldn't assume you're making any money. If memory serves, Wendy years ago used to use music that belonged to rock groups. I used to wonder how she got away with it. Apparently she didn't.

edited January 2018

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821
    edited June 2016

Oh, I'm not disagreeing Ivy, I'm just saying monetizing brings extra scrutiny. Then someone sees ads before your clip so they assume you are making money, and then threaten to sue. If the ad wasn't there, they couldn't assume you're making any money. If memory serves, Wendy years ago used to use music that belonged to rock groups. I used to wonder how she got away with it. Apparently she didn't.

No I used Youtube audioswaps

youtube actually pinged me on public domain music some  a couple of hundred years old not modern arrangements either that I had performed myself and would not budge.

this was the video that gave me the biggest issue

I was scrutinised on every aspect and even made demos of how I performed the music where it cane from showing using my synthesizers and DAWs to no avail.

And they still wanted to know what game content I used and would not accept links to DAZ and Reallusion EULA's and invoices showing purchases of content, I just gave up amd unmonitised just about everything, is their loss.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Wendy, they were definitely wrong to do that. But it's looking more and more like the monetizing is what caused your problem.

The thing is if you are on youtube and you don't monetize yourself . then it will be just a matter of time before some one else attaches their name to your work and monetize it for you only they will be getting the ad revenue as little it maybe its better in your pocket than someone who never did a dam thing accept make a claim against you .

VimeoPro might be the place to go. http://nofilmschool.com/2014/05/vimeo-updates-copyright-match-not-flag-private-videos-plus-pro-members

Article from 2014 said unlike YouTube, they were going to add real humans to go over copyright issues.

My feeling on this is , If you keep records and make copyright usage documents you won't have to worry about  it as much and if & when they do pinch you at least you will have your ducks all in a row waiting for them..  It does not happen every time i post a video just every once in a while . So for me I just feel it was in my best interest to keep paper work on my usage and copyright information. yea its a pain in the ass , But as your animation skills grow & your animations get better so will the internet trolls and predator companies.

If you  noticed some of my videos have a large number of  bad ratings on some of my videos .   So after some work learning how to trace IP addresses and using, analytics I have learned  who most of them are , Alot of them come from Minecraft junkie kids sites & envious individual people who have tried to create their own animation.. but failed so they feel its their right to down rate and troll my video . I guess its  the price you pay for showing your art work publicly and i have just come to accept it as such, with google analytics and IP trace ghost,  I can pretty much tell who my trolls are and where they demographic are And I can norrow it down to the town they live it  so thats how I know its pretty much  the same people trolling me over and over so I come to expect it from them. and I have exposed a few of them.    the more popular yur videos become them more you can expect these trolls of all types and forms.  So its just best as animator that spent 3 or 4 months creating animation to have the paper work to go with it.

I usually list all the stuff I used so people don't get the wrong idea that I made the whole thing. Putting everything together is pretty easy right now if something come up. I think you are smart to document all that you have. If I get something really good done, I may just go the full copyright route, not just the automatic one and probably will join VimeoPro then. Dealing with YouTube's video compression is frustrating.

Too bad about the negative idiots causing you grief. I'm happy you've tracked the trolls down! I don't allow comments and don't display the likes/dislikes. I don't want to fuel comments on something I only check once in a while.

All good points, I think I will start logging what I use in my scenes, especially my kitbashed stuff. A little more work, but probably worth it down the road.

But I don't think it's a good idea to list credits on your animations publicly for everything you use, just for the fact that if/when someone does claim your work is theirs, you've made it that much easier for them, as you've prepared the list for them as to what is in your animation, and they can then submit a list of documents identical to your own, before you do even. I say at least make the thieves work to try to figure out what you use.

edited June 2016

Good idea, Dominic. Of course, my two good animations were also posted on facebook, so the publishing date timeline for them is solid. But nobody will care since they are so short. And they are posted here, too. Anything really worth it, though, I will make them work to figure it out! smiley

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
    edited June 2016

The main reason I list end credits are for 2 reasons. the first one is I get a lot of artists sponsored or 3d models given to me so I can beta test or show case the models for the artist that made them in my films,  so I like to give credit for them when I use them because its the right thing to do. . the artists that gifted me the models  always give me ELUA for the product they have gifted me. so its not s issue listing them in the credits  My friend Kevin McCloud who makes 90% of my music files love it when I credit him, and he happily gives me songs and music files weekly to work with under creative common licensing. And has defended me in a few music claim disbutes  , the second reason is  that I feel new daz users are interested in what do & may like to know what I may used in my films for products..  I get a lot of emails asking me what was this model or what was that model so if I list them and where to find them in my films end credits they no where to find them. if someone tries to make a copyright claim on my content that s not a issue if I have the paper work to prove my ownership over the content. and if someone makes false claims on your films and you make a counter claim against them and have proof of ownership, sometimes you can get that individual account removed from google for false claims   I think I got 4 accounts removed for such BS  So far.  As you can tell I have been doing this a very long tme..and have learned th do and don't of animation on social media./ lol

I leave my ratings and comments on  I don't care about ratings. its my view counts that matter to me,  how many people are watching my videos is more important than what people opinions are of them.  if the comments is too nasty I just remove it block and  the user who made the nasty comment and add them to the troll list and go on make another film. I like to read comments , Some of them have useful constructive information or useful criticism and suggestions  for stories for my films, this helps me make better films and sometimes I will use Viewers suggestions to make a stories for my films.   its good to keep your fans and viewers engaged in your art form of animation

Post edited by Ivy on

Well, Ivy, you have good reasons for the credits, too! smiley

Maybe if I get a longer animation done that's worth getting comments on, I'll use them, but it's still too much time to check and deal with them. I work a split traffic reporting shift and do free-lance VO and website stuff, so time is at a premium.

edited January 2018

OOOooo dark ending...lol  Nice job on the animating.

I just want to give a heads up  that Its going to be just a day or 2 and I'll have my new street racing animation posted.  I got the licensing work done and posted today in case anyone wants to see how i set up my paper work.

Cool thanks for posting that Ivy!

And yes, that was a pretty dark ending, I'm thinking of doing more with that in the future.

edited June 2016

As Primised Epic Street Race (Animated0

Rendered with Daz Studio 4.9 - Credits at the end of film

(click picture to view film) Or Click here to watch on YouTube

I wanna give a BIG THANK YOU to "FirstBastion" for his help with his Highway & Road Environment sets and getting me started on the right track so to speak.., I really appreciated all the great advice my friend.

I also wanna give special thanks to the following people  Richard Haseltine, Fixmypcmike, SimonJM & mjc1016 for helping me learn & understanding a new technique of doing lighting with 3delight , it was a very big help to light this film properly.

Enjoy the film

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited January 2018

Thanks DominicTesla, I got some good advice from some of the boys here at daz on lighting at night, and I played around for a while with that information until I could get what I was looking for..

and I have 5 Iray scenes just using emmsive textures for lighting in the inner city scenes for the race, which was a cool effect, but very time consuming

• specta3specta3 Posts: 32

The Devils Pit  a enviroment i  made and shot in cryengine , animations and assets made and shot in Daz ,Film and audio edits done in Hitfilm along with lighting effects.

I think Daz is a great application to animate in as a  hobby etc so easy to get a start in it . Mix it up with Unreal are Cryengines enviroments and the assets look good