Be Honest, Is Daz the best for animation?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818

nonesuch00, I am always puzzled by this

I was an utter n00b to computing when I got my crappy Dell laptop in 2008 and one of the earliest things I installed on it was Carrara 5 pro which was on a magazine disc, I bought iClone 3 after learning of it through Crazytalk which was factory installed on my laptop for webcam avatar creation and used carrara 5 to create terrains and stuff in before I even learnt DAZ studio existed I imported those terrains then into iClone.

Maybe because I found Carrara first I find it easy, I had no preconcieved ideas of what a 3D program was supposed to do.

and DS3 crashed all the time on my laptop so rarely used it, bought Poser and used that later too only used DS after getting my Desktop years later.

• One of the things I had forgotten about Animation:Master is its ability to build and save a library of actions you can use over and over again. 

Noup. Animations you can create are VERY limited. Please be honest. Daz3d seems to be good for marketing(for people selling models) as it is a nightmare to do aniamtions

I am being honest. Of course, you may not know how easy it really is. Watch this! All the way through: 

With a library of actions you can easily make complex animations using aniMate 2.

DAZ has been putting up new YouTube videos showing other things you can do in aniMate 2, and GoFigure's own videos are online as well.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    fool said:

nonesuch00, I am always puzzled by this

I was an utter n00b to computing when I got my crappy Dell laptop in 2008 and one of the earliest things I installed on it was Carrara 5 pro which was on a magazine disc, I bought iClone 3 after learning of it through Crazytalk which was factory installed on my laptop for webcam avatar creation and used carrara 5 to create terrains and stuff in before I even learnt DAZ studio existed I imported those terrains then into iClone.

Maybe because I found Carrara first I find it easy, I had no preconcieved ideas of what a 3D program was supposed to do.

and DS3 crashed all the time on my laptop so rarely used it, bought Poser and used that later too only used DS after getting my Desktop years later.

2008 is eight years ago. After 8 years you will find use what you know easier than learning something new. I felt that way too about learning first Fortran, then Pascal, then C, then C++, then Java, then C# to say nothing of all the situation specific programming and scripting languages I had to come to grips with to do a one off job.

But we are talking about a  noobie in 2015 and in my opinion is they can get to where you did cheaper and easier using the CG Cookie course in 2015 and to be honest, that's what the majority of them choose or freebie tutorials on YouTube and there are alot of good ones. Carrara and iClone are pracitically unknown by many people as even exsisting as options today, even amongst many DAZ Studio and Poser users. Maybe DAZ has big plans for Carrara and it's suite of tools still yet.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

One of the things I had forgotten about Animation:Master is its ability to build and save a library of actions you can use over and over again. 

Noup. Animations you can create are VERY limited. Please be honest. Daz3d seems to be good for marketing(for people selling models) as it is a nightmare to do aniamtions

I am being honest. Of course, you may not know how easy it really is. Watch this! All the way through: 

With a library of actions you can easily make complex animations using aniMate 2.

DAZ has been putting up new YouTube videos showing other things you can do in aniMate 2, and GoFigure's own videos are online as well.

You call that easy !

check out how iClone does that and more - lots easer then DS .

• bigh said:

One of the things I had forgotten about Animation:Master is its ability to build and save a library of actions you can use over and over again. 

You call that easy !

Fine, if you have the money.

bigh said:

You call that easy !

Fine, if you have the money.

I know it cost - but what you get makes it worth wild

Iclone 6 does so much more now .

• Yes, it is good. I just wish it didn't cost so much with all you have to buy.

• Francis TaylorFrancis Taylor Posts: 84
    edited March 2016

Here are some animations done in Daz Studio...getting better every day.

Post edited by Francis Taylor on
  • Someone knows what they are doing! Nice job!

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited March 2016

Here are some animations done in Daz Studio...getting better every day.

very nice animations . I have to ask? were these single person projects or was there a team of people used to great these's animations.  I ask because I noticed you posted 2 diffrent youtube accounts, thats why I asked. if there were created with a team of people.  really awesome animations though.

I did all my animations as a single person project using Daz Studio, so I could inmagine a team coule produces some wicked awesome animations,

this is just one of 65 animations I done with daz studio

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Ivy, you've been showing improvement in your animations. You are getting better at showing different cuts in scenes.

edited April 2016

Thank you Kevin for the nice compliment . Ive been working with daz studio in animation for a long time and thanks to watching & listening too you all. I think I'm starting to learn this stuff :)

I think the best secret or advice i can offer is to make animations you like to watching yourself.  then others might like them as well.   ;)

This is another karate girl one i did recently

Post edited by Ivy on
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Posts: 62

I just wanted to add in that Daz Studio has an excellent, accesible IK system in place with a low barrier of entry, and that's exactly what many people need and require. But to make more precise animations I would strongly recommend a modeling package with an animation suite. From my own research and personal experience I'd say check out Blender and Maya LT if you want to learn a tool that has a bit more horsepower and can be utilized in other areas as well.

Blender is an incredible program, especially for the price, and it stands with the best of them. It has strong animation features and capabilities but like everything in Blender it suffers from what also makes it great: it's open source nature. A ton of different people loosely related bringing together ideas into a single place will inevitably lead to a fragmented presentation and Blender's steep learning curve is the result. Get past the obtuse UI and workflow though and Blender is second to none.

Maya LT is the indie version of Maya (read much cheaper - $30/month) and comes with restrictions like no rendering and a limit of 100k polys. However, everything else is the same as the software costing thousands and the LT version has been specifically designed to target indie game devs, for modeling, texture baking - and animating. As the king of the professional animation industry Maya is definitely a good tool to learn should you ever want to make computer graphics a part of your career going forward and it also happens to be one of the best CG tools there is.

PS: I like the video Ivy. I was expecting a 30 second clip or something, not a whole movie, nice work.

edited April 2016

@cjmarsh Thank you for the compliment.  I haven't made a 30 second animation render in years..lol  what happens is I usually get carried away and keep adding to my story board thats why my animations turn out so long.  as my husband says i have a very active imagination...lol

This is a little older animation I did with daz 4.8  but this is how i make my test animations.. I tend to get rather elaborate during my testing..lol

Click picture below to watch

Post edited by Ivy on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited April 2016

A scene from about 22 minutes into my current personal project

Sorry for the low res the finals are all rendered at 1280x720

this is a SOLO project using DAZ content rendered in maxon Cinema4D Studio

it will be feature length with a detailed "making of " segment at the end.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2TYEp536iB8TURicWZqQTNwWGc

Post edited by wolf359 on

Heres aer some HD still frames from the movie

vlcsnap-2015-10-07-09h46m54s182.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M

vlcsnap-2015-10-07-09h50m20s169.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M

vlcsnap-2015-10-07-09h45m12s140.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M

fully risin2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 514K

All genesis1-2 Figures (Except Galactus)

animated using DAZ Tools (aniMate,GraphMate ,keyMate)

Along with mcj 's Vital Scripts and of Course Iclone pro 5.5+3DExchange

and natural motion Endorphin for ragdoll physics.

So yes... Daz Studio Can be useful in Character animation if you are willin to 

implement a Multi tool pipeline

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131
    edited January 2018

Post edited by FrankTheTank on
    wolf359 said:

Can't wait to see your finished work wolf359!

I'm just now learning about mcj's DAZ scripts, I'm curious which ones do you consider "vital"? So far I've downloaded only the autolimb2015, but I can't seem to get it to work. I have animate2, graphmate and keymate, those have definitely helped me a lot. Although animate2 drives me nuts, i can only get it to work properly if I start a scene fresh at frame 0. If I have any existing timeline keyframes, it just will not work for me. I'm sure thats something I'm doing wrong as well.

help - link

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=daz+animate+2+tutorial

edited January 2018

wolf359 said:

I'm just now learning about mcj's DAZ scripts, I'm curious which ones do you consider "vital"? So far I've downloaded only the autolimb2015, but I can't seem to get it to work. I have animate2, graphmate and keymate, those have definitely helped me a lot. Although animate2 drives me nuts, i can only get it to work properly if I start a scene fresh at frame 0. If I have any existing timeline keyframes, it just will not work for me. I'm sure thats something I'm doing wrong as well.

Hi the scripts I find vital to my pipeline are mcj "copy pose animation" and the keyframe decimator that reduces the keyframes down to manageable amount for easier editing in keymate.
    bigh said:
    wolf359 said:

help - link

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=daz+animate+2+tutorial

Thanks bigh, I've looked at a lot of animate2 tutorials and even paid for a few. If I can find a tutorial that actually shows that it works, I would love to see it.

I'm talking about the following scenario: lets say you have a timeline with 800 frames of animation on your regular timeline. Now you want to add some aniblocks, and bake them to the existing timeline starting at frame 801. I have found no way to do this without completely screwing up the timeline. I have yet to find a tutorial to address this.

So what i have to do now, is plan my scenes accordingly and break them down, so that I don't mix the 2. Although it is possible to start with aniblocks, bake them to the timeline, and then do daz timeline animating after that. But I cannot add aniblocks after I've gone to timeline animation. 

Hope that makes it more clear what my problem is.

make a aniBlock out of your DS time line ( 800 frames )

then clear the DS time line

go to aniMake and add the new aniBlock after the aniBlock you made

bake to DS timeline

think that's what you want

edited January 2018

Hi the scripts I find vital to my pipeline are mcj "copy pose animation" and the keyframe decimator that reduces the keyframes down to manageable amount for easier editing in keymate.

I saw "keyframe decimator", that sounds very useful, I'm sure I'll be using that. I didn't see "copy pose animation", I'll have to check that out.

bake to DS timeline

Interesting idea, i didn't think of that. It might work, I'll give that a try. By the way, when you say "clear the animation timeline", is there a quick way to do this? I have gone manually into keymate and done this, but I don't see an easy way to select all nodes and clear all keyframes at once.

look under EDIT - clear ............

I saw "keyframe decimator", that sounds very useful, I'm sure I'll be using that. I didn't see "copy pose animation", I'll have to check that out.

Just FYI @ BigH The mcj keyframe culling script
    is called "Decimate for DS3"
    although it is working for me in DS 4.7 pro.
    Not to be confused with the similarly named "Decimator"
    from Daz that I use to create Low pow poly background
    figures that retain thier animation.

edited January 2018

bigh said:

bake to DS timeline

Interesting idea, i didn't think of that. It might work, I'll give that a try. By the way, when you say "clear the animation timeline", is there a quick way to do this? I have gone manually into keymate and done this, but I don't see an easy way to select all nodes and clear all keyframes at once.

look under EDIT - clear ............

figure - try it - see how it works for you

hope that helps .