More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

I wanted to see how far I could take sketchy without using postwork.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,856
    edited April 2022

More experiments in Unity. No postwork.

dm01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    dm02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on

I've taken to see how certain hair looks with the transmaps for the strands turned off. Because its easier to make them look more toon-like if they're a solid piece.

Really on a roll today.

edited April 2022
    BD_Cleo01pic01.jpg
    1205 x 1075 - 289K
    BD_Cleo01pic03.jpg
    979 x 1079 - 299K
    BD_Cleo01pic04.jpg
    1001 x 1077 - 261K
    BD_Cleo01pic05.jpg
    971 x 1079 - 307K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,779
    edited April 2022

I know this isn't the video games thread, but I just came across the MythForce trailer... and god, the cell-shading is divine! The He-Man realness of it all!

Too bad the game is 1st person, which I generally don't enjoy. But the visuals!

I really have to put more time into 3DL and VSS rendering... being pulled in a 100 different directions here! XD

And in case you're interested in more gorgeous, cell-shaded games: here's the trailer for Aeon Must Die (kinda violent, just so you know.)

I haven't played that game. It appears to have a problematic publishing history (the publisher may have screwed over the creators) and according to reviews it's a rather mediocre game... but just check out the trailer for the visuals!

And there's Sable, which I have played. Super-chill game that I absolutely recommend.

I wish DAZ would shimmy just a little in this direction, whether by giving 3DL some more attention again, or by introducing an additional render engine that can do these kinds of things. laugh

Post edited by Hylas on

I haven't tamed Sketchy to my liking yet, but I am coming closer to something I can make a signature style out of.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798

@Hylas :

Those are great examples for NPR games -- Thank you, for posting them.

I don't really see anything in the first or last that can't be accomplished using 3DL in DS, and the only thing in the second one I would not be sure about would be emissive light objects with the Cartoon Renderer, or stock DS toon shaders.

All else, seems quite doable, especially if you have some of the myriad of NPR products that have been released for 3DL over the past couple decades.

Even if not, all could be accomplished with the toon shaders, stylized textures, line/edge renderer, and if needed, inverse hull normals method (can be done with a Geoshell) for other line-work.

The first one is utilizing lined flats, or 1 tone/step toon shading with stylized matte painted textures for the environments.  You would have to create the custom painted textures for your environments, but DS can produce the flats with edge rendering out of the box.

The second one looks to either use custom light mapping per object, or custom textures with parts painted black for the dynamic shadowing.  Background looks like standard matte painting as well.  This should be achievable in DS with 3DL.  However, I have never tried getting glowing weapons with emissive objects through toon shading or Cartoon Renderer, so I am not sure how achievable that could be without post-processing.

The third example appears to be using simple 1 tone texture painted environments with 1 tone textured objects, and using shadow mapping for projecting 2nd tone to both when needed.  Does DS 3DL with toon shaders allow for shadow casting without self-shadows?  I am not sure.  I haven't tried that technique, but I think it would be worth a try  --  That game looks stunning with it's KISS method.

• csaacsaa Posts: 812

Interesting input from all of you! Hope to see more.

I don't believe I've share this image here ... thanks for your interest.

Cheers!

Sgt. Andrea & Inez: Hacking the Bot | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Hylas said:

I know this isn't the video games thread, but I just came across the MythForce trailer... and god, the cell-shading is divine! The He-Man realness of it all!

Too bad the game is 1st person, which I generally don't enjoy. But the visuals!

I really have to put more time into 3DL and VSS rendering... being pulled in a 100 different directions here! XD

And in case you're interested in more gorgeous, cell-shaded games: here's the trailer for Aeon Must Die (kinda violent, just so you know.)

I haven't played that game. It appears to have a problematic publishing history (the publisher may have screwed over the creators) and according to reviews it's a rather mediocre game... but just check out the trailer for the visuals!

And there's Sable, which I have played. Super-chill game that I absolutely recommend.

I wish DAZ would shimmy just a little in this direction, whether by giving 3DL some more attention again, or by introducing an additional render engine that can do these kinds of things. laugh

Thanks for posting these examples.

Just wonder how popular is NPR genre among game players.

I do not play computer games any longer, because I am more interested in exploring possibilities of Unity game engine.

Artini said:

Just wonder how popular is NPR genre among game players.

Well, these 3 examples are smaller games.

But Breath Of The Wild is one of the most successful games of all time, and it uses beautiful cell shading.

@DaremoK3: Thanks for your input! I'm still a total n00b at 3DL, I'll have to sit down and look more into it's possibilities, including everything you wrote!

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited April 2022

Nice NPR Game examples @hylas !

I`m pretty sure those Bloom/glow/glare fx done via realtime processing fx which available in most game engines . Something you also can do in Blender EEVEE , I believe .

And as @DaremoK3 explained , those cel shading is DO-ABLE using DAZ 3Delight . The challeging parts using DAZ contents  maybe about how to find nice stylized meshes to start the projects  ( props - wardrobe - hairs ), especially when right now DAZ contents seem move into "Realism with Texture Based  " =====  just use/sell simple meshes and let image textures do the heavy works :)

Post edited by juvesatriani on
    edited April 2022

Another render example from Unity.

Meadows01pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 675K
    Post edited by Artini on

More sketchy with minimal postwork. Feeling a lot less worried about 3DL shaders going away, now that I've figured out how to make Sketchy give me similar results.

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited April 2022

Nice images guys !!!

Here another BG concept art for my buddy`s web comic project Like always made with Blender Eevee - Photoshop and lots of coffee ;)

recolor_garage.jpg
    1920 x 967 - 2M
    Post edited by juvesatriani on

juvesatriani said:

Here another BG concept art for my buddy`s web comic project Like always made with Blender Eevee - Photoshop and lots of coffee ;)

Beautiful colours!

Artini said:

More experiments in Unity. No postwork.

Artini said:

Another render example from Unity.

Love your landscapes!

edited April 2022

My Sketchy method is still very much a work in progress, but here is how it stacks up against PWToon.

Post edited by vrba79 on

Thanks a lot, @Hylas

Hylas said:

juvesatriani said:

Beautiful colours!

Yes, fully agree. He is a master of NPR.

Further refinements made to the process. That obnoxious edge glow is gone now.

edited April 2022

Recent work. Experimenting with low res hair and CSP flourishes. So far these came out decently well.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers!

Sgt. Inez: Various Hairstyles and Backgrounds | Daz assets and setup | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on
  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798

Simple 1 Tone cel shading with painted textured background using 3Delight in Daz Studio inspired by @Hylas MythForce game trailer :

Created without any purchased addons/software...

Was created in DS 4.5 using DS basic toon shader (for the 3 foreground objects), 3Delight and 3Delight Scripted (Outlines) renderers, and (free) FotoSketcher-3.80 to 'paint' the textures for the background environment.  Also added a slight Gaussian blur to the BG after rendered that pass.

Just 2 passes needed;  One for the background (without foreground objects visible), and one for the foreground objects as flats (1 tone) with the outlines.

Then, BG, flats, and outline composited together for final image.

Skeleton and props are very old Poser 4 objects I spent no time on to create a better image  --  If I were to spend the time, for the skeleton I would add bones to the hands for gripping, create MAT zones for better outlined ID's, and add some kind of light armor.

Also, I would hand paint the textures as opposed to the quick-n-dirty painted texutres filter conversion.

For the flats, kill the lights with Ambient set to white and 100% in the shader.  Set your colorID to the color you want your flats to be.

Flats :

Outline (using Normal set to offset 1.00  --  Would use just colorID if prepped the skeleton with zones) :

This is what scene setup looks like with BG object hidden, and imported BG image with Gaussian blur :

SkeletonArcher01.jpg
    1002 x 929 - 152K
    Flats.jpg
    1002 x 929 - 34K
    Outline_Frm0_Normal.jpg
    1002 x 929 - 53K
    SkelArchr_ScreenPrint.jpg
    1004 x 930 - 146K
    edited April 2022

Another example renders from Unity.

lptb01pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    lptb01pic02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited April 2022

Artini,

Looking at the images you shared reminded me of this blog post about cel shading landscape scenes in Unity. Below is a Vimeo link (I hope the embedded video shows up!), a short clip in which the author showcases his work.

Flaming river from Harry Alisavakis on Vimeo.

A while back I was looking at cel shading in game engines. I remember that Unity seemed to have better tools than Unreal as far as cel shading goes. There certainly was a number of cel shaded games in the market done with Unity, more than Unreal. Wonderful look.

Cheers!

Post edited by csaa on

Thanks, @csaa

edited April 2022

DaremoK3 said:

Simple 1 Tone cel shading with painted textured background using 3Delight in Daz Studio inspired by @Hylas MythForce game trailer :

Created without any purchased addons/software...

Was created in DS 4.5 using DS basic toon shader (for the 3 foreground objects), 3Delight and 3Delight Scripted (Outlines) renderers, and (free) FotoSketcher-3.80 to 'paint' the textures for the background environment.  Also added a slight Gaussian blur to the BG after rendered that pass.

Just 2 passes needed;  One for the background (without foreground objects visible), and one for the foreground objects as flats (1 tone) with the outlines.

Then, BG, flats, and outline composited together for final image.

Skeleton and props are very old Poser 4 objects I spent no time on to create a better image  --  If I were to spend the time, for the skeleton I would add bones to the hands for gripping, create MAT zones for better outlined ID's, and add some kind of light armor.

Also, I would hand paint the textures as opposed to the quick-n-dirty painted texutres filter conversion.

For the flats, kill the lights with Ambient set to white and 100% in the shader.  Set your colorID to the color you want your flats to be.

Love this style... will have to study your method a little more closely when I find some time (HAHAHAHAHA)

Post edited by Hylas on