The We Will Miss You, Chohole Complaint Thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,172
    edited July 2021

'Nother Non-complaint:  Wheee... updating the BIOS on my baby-bear computer has also fixed a problem with the "Samsung Magician"  software not being able to manage the parameters of the storage SSD (Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe) which is very new and probably not fully supported by the old BIOS.  Although it seemed to function as a storage drive but wouldn't cooperate with the Samsung Magician management software.  Regardless, the problem is now moot.  Wheee...yes

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,701
    Complaint, my medicine gives me dry mouth and thirsty feeling. Non complaint I found a way to deal with it. Complaint: that solution creates an interesting exercise program.
    edited July 2021

Complaint:  Arghhh..., updating the BIOS has not fixed my dual monitor problem.frown  When I have both an HD and a 2K resolution monitor attached, the system will still crash indicating graphics card problems.  Boogers!sad

System works fine with single HD monitor via VGA connection.  I'm using an MSI GT-730 graphics card with three ports (HDMI, DVI, VGA).  DVI is unused, HDMI goes to my KVM switch and then to my 2K monitor.  

A few possible problems come to mind:  

1) is graphics card memory(2GB) too small for buffering dual monitors?

2) is the graphics card too outdated?  Need better driver?

3) is the KVM-switch behavior an issue with this graphics card?

4) is the combined length of the HDMI cables (to KVM-switch then to monitor) too long?

5) is the motherboard/CPU combo incapable of handling the graphics needs?  (CPU is an AMD Ryzen5-1400)

My CPU doesn't have on-chip graphics, and I don't have another spare graphics card with HDMI and VGA ports.

I'm going to pull my GTX-1660 card from my mama-bear machine and give it to the baby-bear for testing.  The GTX-1660 doesn't have a VGA port but it does have an HDMI port and 3 DPorts.  I think I have an adapter to convert DPort to HDMI so I could try dual monitors both using HDMI connections.  But that's a task for another day.  Time to unwind for the day.  Wheee...yes

Note:   My mama-bear machine with the GTX-1660, and my papa-bear machine with the RTX-3060 both run similar dual monitor setups (i.e. HD direct, and 2K via KVM-switch) and both of those graphics cards handle the different resolutions without trouble by forcing the HD monitor to display 2K data (not perfectly but good enough).  Perhaps swapping monitors would give a clue.  Hmmm...  (Sigh... too many variables)indecision  Time to make supper.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

is there a trick to reheating alfredo sauce?  its like a gob of oil in the pan. frown

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

LOW  HEAT KEEP STIRRING GENTLY

Selling organic water! Wait maybe I can give it away for free if you provide a bucket.
    Just found out some non expired food got thrown out for some probably stupid reason.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited July 2021

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Wheee..., I finally was able to upgrade the BIOS on my baby-bear computer.  Finally found the three little words cleverly hidden in the motherboard's user's manual that identified the correct USB port to be used in conjunction with the Asus "BiosFlashback" method of forcing a BIOS update.  Couple of other hoops to jump through too, but once I had the correct BIOS file downloaded, unzipped, name changed, USB stick formatted with FAT32, and the stick stuck into the correct USB port it worked just like the manual said it would in all the bits and pieces of that information scattered throughout the f'n manual.indecision 

Yay!  Perhaps now it will behave a little better and might even resolve my dual monitor unstableness (see earlier post).  Wheee...smiley

The motherboard, an Asus "TUF Gaming B450M-Plus-II" is the one that I was forced to buy along with my RTX-3060 graphics card (that was put into my papa-bear DAZing machine) after winning in a "NewEgg Shuffle" lottery.  If I wanted that 3060 at near MSRP (i.e. nearly unobtainium) I had to buy the motherboard too.angry  It came new and I eventually sucessfully built a functional machine out of it.  But when I realized that it might need a BIOS update I discovered that its BIOS version was WAY behind.  It came with BIOS version #0309 and the current version is #3202.  So, perhaps the motherboard was really old stock gathering dust on the shelves and NewEgg used the lottery to clean off their shelves.

...in an earlier post you mentioned the 3060 in teh main system has 8 GB of VRAM.  Is that the Ti version (the standard 3060 should have 12 GB but fewer cores)?

I was considering the non Ti version as it's MSRP was only 329$ (of course before all the pricing craziness) as it is pretty close to my Titan-X (which will likely be dropped from Iray support in a year or so as smaller Maxwell cards are already depreciated) in specs and performance, however with the addition of a faster GPU chip, RTX/Tensor cores, and faster GDDR6 VRAM.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    I worked on getting the domain name Sfariah.site to work. I first tried installing WordPress but found out quickly DNS settings were wrong. I looked up the write servers info. It didn't update right away but I got it updated. Now I forgot what password I used for my new WordPress account.
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

Complaint/question: What happened to the Clearance sale?  I thought it was good until the end of July 31st?  It's not over yet, but I can't find it!

Dana

edited August 2021

...yeah, several hours ago I ran into having a code for a PC coupon I hadn't used yet rejected (which should be good until 00:00 Daz time [23:00 where I live]) but it would not work either.

When I looked at my PC member info, it already had the August coupon codes posted.. When I tested the August code on what I had in the cart, it worked, so it wasn't because of the items I had selected. 

Situations like both of these seem to have been occurring with some regularity as of late.  Addressed he matter of the coupon on the PC forum.

I usually wait until the last minute to use the PC+ coupon, and thus the code on the PC+ page in my profile always has the next month.  But, it's easily remedied...copy and paste the code, then change the digit that is different.  It always works for me, unless I wait to long and it's past DAZ midnight.

Dana

....that is what i usually do on when it gets down to the last day of the month but it didn't work.  The only coupon I used all month was the Save 6 one on a Flash sale..  I tried to apply the PlatClub coupon code at around 18:30 local time (19:30 Daz time) and it kept getting rejected.

The one thing that most likely happened was I missed that the code changed on the 30th of June as it was close to 00:00 Daz time and accidentally pasted the July one in without changing it and clicked "Apply".  Maybe they need to alter the message on these two coupons to respond sith something like "Coupon Used" when it fails.

This is why I dislike having the codes change a full day in advance. I'd rather wait until after Daz Midnight to use the new ones.  Another issue is here on the west coast, or in Alaska and Hawai'i we are 1 - 3 hours behind Utah (in Hawai'i right now "Daz time" is 21:00) so it is easier to get caught up in other things and forget (mid to late evening is usually my prime Daz work time).

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    Complaint: Insomnia.
    Complaint: Insomnia.
    Great complaint! My issue is staying asleep. Sometimes it is due to the amount of fluids I get at night.

kyoto kid said:

....that is what i usually do on when it gets down to the last day of the month but it didn't work.  The only coupon I used all month was the Save 6 one on a Flash sale..  I tried to apply the PlatClub coupon code at around 18:30 local time (19:30 Daz time) and it kept getting rejected.

The one thing that most likely happened was I missed that the code changed on the 30th of June as it was close to 00:00 Daz time and accidentally pasted the July one in without changing it and clicked "Apply".  Maybe they need to alter the message on these two coupons to respond sith something like "Coupon Used" when it fails.

This is why I dislike having the codes change a full day in advance. I'd rather wait until after Daz Midnight to use the new ones.  Another issue is here on the west coast, or in Alaska and Hawai'i we are 1 - 3 hours behind Utah (in Hawai'i right now "Daz time" is 21:00) so it is easier to get caught up in other things and forget (mid to late evening is usually my prime Daz work time).

Perhaps the problem was that it's now August, not July, so it wasn't the June one you should have been trying to input.

Dana 

edited August 2021

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I seem to have resolved my dual monitor problem.  Yay!  Happy, happy, joy, joy!smiley

Going on the theory that the HDMI cable was too long or too low spec'd to carry 2K resolution signals to the 2K monitor, I disconnected from the KVM-switch and wired another 1080 HD monitor directly to the HDMI output of the GT-730 graphics card along with the VGA direct connection to the original HD monitor so now both monitors are 1080 HD and I've bypassed the KVM-switch eliminating one 6 foot HDMI cable in the link.**  The remaining cable was a skinny(i.e. cheap) HDMI cable about 16' long.  It was a leftover from my previous HD-only monitor cabling setup, and it may not have been properly rated for 2K resolution bandwidth requirements.  But with the graphics card connected directly to two same resolution 1080 HD monitors the crashing problem went away.yes 

So, proving to myself that the computer and graphics card could properly handle two monitors by reducing the cable length and having eliminated the KVM-switch too, then I had to determine which(or both) was the cause of the problem.  I put the KVM-switch back into the circuit but connected to the 2nd HD monitor instead of the 2K monitor.  System seemed to work OK.  Hmmm...

OK, so now since the original total cable length is OK for standard HD monitors then my suspicion of degraded 2K resolution signals due to cable length or cable quality was more likely.  I rummaged around in my spare parts and was able to find a 6' 4K rated HDMI cable that is just barely long enough to reach from the KVM-switch to the 2K monitor.  That eliminated about 10' of skinny (possibly not 2K rated), HDMI cable.  And now my system appears to be working properly again.  Yay!  Wheee... yes

Right now, I have a tight, obviously visible, HDMI cable hanging in plain view over my lab tables, but if this setup continues to work OK, I'll order a more length appropriate cable and see if I can get away with a 10 footer.  Otherwise I'll have to re-engineer my lab cabling scheme.

Unfortunately, during this testing I rediscovered that this old GT-730 graphics card isn't as capable as my GTX-1660 or RTX-3060 and seems unable to force a 1080 HD monitor to display 1440 2K resolution signals.  Not even badly, just doesn't even try.  Not really a big deal, as long as the 2K monitor can display 1080 HD signals without crashing, I'm happy.smiley

**Note:  Total length of HDMI cable from computer through KVM-switch to monitor was about 22 feet (6' + 16' = 22')

TLDR:

Summary:  16' Long cheap HDMI cable appears to corrupt signals too much.  Replaced it with a 6' 4K rated HDMI cable and system appears to work OK.

wow its august?  when did that happen?  recently?   did you know?

Buppy love heart
    was layin out in the lawn chair, Iggy came over just to sneeze in my hair.   thaz how we know when the buppies love us

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Today is Swiss National Day. August 1st.

swiss miss cocoa?

Right now waiting for my mum to come to visit a bit. Complaint it is starting to sprinkle!
    It is also hot! I mean HOT outside!
    edited August 2021

DanaTA said:

kyoto kid said:

Perhaps the problem was that it's now August, not July, so it wasn't the June one you should have been trying to input.

Dana 

...as I mentioned above I changed the date to 07_21 when I tried to apply the coupon at around 18:30 local time yesterday (about four and a half hours before Daz "zero time" here). 

The reason I brought up June is that I feel I might have accidentally used the July coupon code back on 06/30 without changing it beforehand as I was in a rush to get the purchase in before 23:00 local time (00:00 Mountain time) that night which is likely why I think the July code did not work lat night..  Couldn't tell as the August code was already posted to my PC+ profile.

This is why I wish they'd wait until after 00:00 Daz time to post it at the change of the month.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436

I KNEW IT! I knew that would happen! Damn updates!

I can't play games on my (5 y/o) rendering computer. But those games will play on my eight y/o laptop... Go figure...

They've released a new version of my favourite horror film... In the US. I'd love to re-create the "Flayed Man" skin for G8M, but I can't find any pictures of the whole body suit frown

I'm tired again.

I'm getting sleepy but it is about 45 minutes to an hour before my regular bed time.

waiting for the neighbor buppy to come out and play. ready with a new squeaky toy.

Time to go to dentist!
    My teeth are okay but a tad sensitive so I need some expensive tooth paste and a more expensive night guard. I got the toothpaste but not the night guard. I didn't have enough for the night guard thing.
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,364

Sfariah said:

My teeth are okay but a tad sensitive so I need some expensive tooth paste and a more expensive night guard. I got the toothpaste but not the night guard. I didn't have enough for the night guard thing.

A bit of advice if that's okay: Save up for the night guard and get it asap, it can literally save your poor teeth from gnashing themselves to rubble. So happened to me, almost. Don't go there if you don't have to, it's not fun. 
    Also, might want to try and find out what stresses you so much that you grind your teeth at night. Although sometimes it can be due to jaw mislocations and such things. Anyways, rather forget the expensive tooth paste and get the guard I should say.

This discussion has been closed.