Un-Biased Reneder Thread - Post Your Renders!! (Reality/Lux, Luxus/Lux, Octane Render, and others?)

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2015

Mattymanx said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    UHF said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...the most VRAM a GeForce GPU has is 6 GB. The TitanX is actually a dual GPU so even though it advertises 12GB, for rendering purposes only 6 GB applies. After reading though this thread, A 3 - 4 GB GPU is more than sufficient when using the Out of Core rendering option.
    I think you worry too much. The pros all use GeForce wit 6GB. Is your computer way awesome over speced, and horribly expensive?

With Reality you have similar solutions to different problems. With Lux, you merge Bump and Displacement into a single normal Map to save memory and speed up the render. Alternatively, you could crank up SubD to solve displacement but it will slow down your render, and use way way more memory. More render time equals more heat, and of course a bigger electricity bill.

I suppose its good news that they can do out of GPU RAM use. So far I haven't done anything with more than 5 characters, dozens of props, and a few models in Octane. 1 or two more characters and I'd be tapped out.

...cannot afford a Titan Black (almost 1,000$) or even a 4 GB 980 (about 600$) at the moment. Currently only have 12 GB memory with only a 1GB Nvidia GPU. Looking to scrape up the finds to upgrade to the memory to 24 GB (the most the board will support)

LuxRender still has issues with their pure GPU mode which supposedly are to be ironed out in ver. 2.0. Not sure how fast Reality will be updated to accommodate it as I understand there are currently issues between it and the Lux 1.4 beta.

As it has been described in earlier posts here, Octane's out of core rendering uses the GPU primarily for the Geometry and CPU for processing the textures. In speed tests it still seems to be much faster than Lux's pure CPU mode. This is why, even considering the expense, Octane with Out of Core rendering has become more intriguing to me.

But with the advent of DS having its own native unbiased rendering options that likely perform at a faster rate than anything Octane or LuxRender could ever hope to catch. If you ask me, the game has totally changed for DS users. I cannot see any reason why they would not eventually adopt this for Carrara and hopefully for Bryce some day as well.

or roll Bryce into Carrara or DS

That would be a nightmare for Bryce users. Bryce is Bryce because of its interface, if you remove that then the entire userbase will dry up overnight. Most Bryce users hate everything about he way DS and Carrara are set up. IT really would be best to give Bryce for once its own direct connection to unbiased rendering.

Couldn't agree with you more My first reaction when I saw this

or roll Bryce into Carrara or DS

Was NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I guess I am probably one of the longest time Bryce users on the forum, having started using it at Bryce 2 and I love Bryce just as it is.

I will now have to download and learn DS because of this latest update, but don't marmalise our Bryce please. :coolsmile:

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Just thinking it would be better to roll its features and abilities into another app then have all 3 DAZ apps use the same render engine yet not all be able to do what the other one does in general

This is a fair consideration, especially when it seems DS is all that matters to Daz3d as a company. However, I do not see how rolling Bryce's features is the way to do that. Iray seems like it would do just fine as a render engine for all Daz applications, all Bryce needs is a plug-in or a secondary render engine to be added to Bryce 8 that accesses this engine. But Bryce needs to remain a distinct application or it will die. Bryce users use it for its interface as well as features at dedicated environment tools. Most Bryce users hate that they have to use DS at all, and would completely lose it. There are very few to none of the avid Bryce users who would see rolling Bryce into DS as a good thing. Again, most Bryce users barely open DS, so forcing them to do so will simply cause them to move on.

DS users on the other hand, I can imagine would love to have all those awesome atmospherics and procedurals available in DS for them to place them behind the dolls. But the whole point is that DS is about rendering people and Bryce is about environments. Amazing cumulus clouds aren't background items, they're focus points to a Bryce user. The emphasis on people makes DS in my opinion the exact wrong place to put Bryce's features. Bryce is about creating entire worlds, not just adding background items to "fill" in a shot of a human figure. The priority is completely opposing.

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ... sounds like it will be prohibitively expensive for many of us as the "Z" is already about 1,600$.

It'll be killer expensive for us mere mortals, for sure, but I doubt it will be as much as the Titan Z (which is pretty much deleted now).

It replaces the Titan in the marketplace, so expect something similar + to that at launch (or maybe Titan Black + ). If it's proportionally as successful as the other Maxwell releases then the enthusiast demand* will outstrip supply and keep the price up (people were paying more than the recommended retail price for original Titans at launch).

* that'll be just the well heeled DS users. And Rashad. ;-)

edited December 1969

chohole said:

I guess I am probably one of the longest time Bryce users on the forum, having started using it at Bryce 2 and I love Bryce just as it is.

One of, indeed. :coolsmile:

Bryce is brilliant. It just needs to be 64bit and fast. Yes please, DAZ folks.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ... sounds like it will be prohibitively expensive for many of us as the "Z" is already about 1,600$.

It'll be killer expensive for us mere mortals, for sure, but I doubt it will be as much as the Titan Z (which is pretty much deleted now).

It replaces the Titan in the marketplace, so expect something similar + to that at launch (or maybe Titan Black + ). If it's proportionally as successful as the other Maxwell releases then the enthusiast demand* will outstrip supply and keep the price up (people were paying more than the recommended retail price for original Titans at launch).

* that'll be just the well heeled DS users. And Rashad. ;-)

Won't be me this time. I'm still paying off my two Titan Blacks and for Octane itself and for the OR4C plug-in. If I had simply waited a few months, I could have used DS new native unbiased rendering, using Daz's GPUs instead of purchasing my own. So if I'm not mistake thne I wasted a LOT of money for a system that will not perform as quickly as DS's native Iray implementation.

Daz REALLY should have given people a head's up on this sort of thing. I mean we've got people developing plug-ins for Lux and Octane, all of it could be considered a waste if this Iray thing turns out to be faster and better integrated than any of the plug-ins.

I love Octane, don't get me wrong. But I bought into it as I did with the understanding that this was the g=fastest way to get unbiased renders. Literally, my head aches as we speak.

Is Otoy shooting themselves in the foot here? Won't this Iray thing seriously undermine Octane's appeal? Am I out on a limb alone here?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,604
    edited December 1969

Bummer, I was hoping to try out the new render engine, but I have to wait till the general release as it requires install manager (DIM) which I don't use.

Guess I'll just enjoy everyone else's great renders.

• UHFUHF Posts: 512
    edited December 1969

Won't be me this time. I'm still paying off my two Titan Blacks and for Octane itself and for the OR4C plug-in. If I had simply waited a few months, I could have used DS new native unbiased rendering, using Daz's GPUs instead of purchasing my own. So if I'm not mistake thne I wasted a LOT of money for a system that will not perform as quickly as DS's native Iray implementation.

Daz REALLY should have given people a head's up on this sort of thing. I mean we've got people developing plug-ins for Lux and Octane, all of it could be considered a waste if this Iray thing turns out to be faster and better integrated than any of the plug-ins.

I love Octane, don't get me wrong. But I bought into it as I did with the understanding that this was the g=fastest way to get unbiased renders. Literally, my head aches as we speak.

Is Otoy shooting themselves in the foot here? Won't this Iray thing seriously undermine Octane's appeal? Am I out on a limb alone here?

Number One... I'd seriously question how long it will take Daz to debug this and get all the features they want working correctly. Facts are facts. The track record here is not good. (I'm still a fan though.)

Number Two, I like it! I look forward to giving it a shot. (I am currently deathly afraid of testing anything Daz Beta.)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,621
    edited March 2015

...kinda also makes Luxrender (Luxus and Reality) a bit moot as well considering the long render times involved.

Thankfully the update to Reality4 only cost me 19$. Added to the 42$ for the original version of Reality + 9$ for the 2.0 update.

Though if one needs a hefty amount of VRAM (my Nvidia GPU only has 1 GB) then my investment in Reality is still a good one as I cannot afford a Titan Black or even a GTX 980 (and I already have have two AMD 7950 HD's which were free).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...kinda also makes Luxrender (Luxus and Reality) a bit moot as well considering the long render times involved.

Exactly. Having thrown thousands of dollars at this personally, I really want a good explanation. On Some level I almost want Octane and Lux to remain relevant, but for that to happen it would mean something would need to be deficient with the Iray implementation in DS which doesn't appear to be the case so far.

Unless there is some major major major looming issue with the way it is being done, Daz3d has just changed the game in a very big way. Starting today the game is simply not the same.

Sometimes things change too quickly. It's just not safe to invest in anything because like Genesis 1, there is always another version or a newer way of doing things that makes the current methods irrelevant only weeks after they were introduced as the next best thing.

Do your things, Daz3D, carve your niche and do keep adapting to the changing times. PLEASE take the Bryce and Carrara along on this journey.

If Bryce had faster rendering, that alone would boost it back into place as relevant. It already has the realism features, it just needs the speed.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,322
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Exactly. Having thrown thousands of dollars at this personally, I really want a good explanation. On Some level I almost want Octane and Lux to remain relevant, but for that to happen it would mean something would need to be deficient with the Iray implementation in DS which doesn't appear to be the case so far.

Unless there is some major major major looming issue with the way it is being done, Daz3d has just changed the game in a very big way. Starting today the game is simply not the same.

Sometimes things change too quickly. It's just not safe to invest in anything because like Genesis 1, there is always another version or a newer way of doing things that makes the current methods irrelevant only weeks after they were introduced as the next best thing.

Do your things, Daz3D, carve your niche and do keep adapting to the changing times. PLEASE take the Bryce and Carrara along on this journey.

If Bryce had faster rendering, that alone would boost it back into place as relevant. It already has the realism features, it just needs the speed.

Your expertise in those renderers won't vanish (and may well give you a head start in Iray). As far as I know people still use Octane, even with 3DS where Iray is also available. There will be differences that will make one or the other the best choice for a particular artist, or for a particular project (as wills till be true for 3Delight).

edited December 1969

If I had simply waited a few months, I could have used DS new native unbiased rendering, using Daz's GPUs instead of purchasing my own. So if I'm not mistake thne I wasted a LOT of money for a system that will not perform as quickly as DS's native Iray implementation.

So is DAZ offering online rendering of users scenes, then? And I don't think Iray is anything to do with Otoy?

I wouldn't beat yourself up over your earlier decisions. You still benefit from combining this new engine with your hardware. You don't have to be online to render, and you aren't tied to DAZ Studio if it doesn't go in a direction you like. Better to be independent.

Yeah, tough on the plugin developers. Feet, carpet pulled out from under.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Your expertise in those renderers won't vanish (and may well give you a head start in Iray). As far as I know people still use Octane, even with 3DS where Iray is also available. There will be differences that will make one or the other the best choice for a particular artist, or for a particular project (as wills till be true for 3Delight).
    All my knowledge of Reality transferred verbatim to Octane. I kinda miss Reality's Mesh lights with Gobos.. That was handy. (but for the love of God why can't I use Point At! ARG!)

Kyoto Kid: This does no in any way make Reality/Luxrender obsolete. A big part of what Reality is, is Paolo's efforts to translate materials. It makes the whole experience rather friendly and helps produce good renders.

edited December 1969

So is DAZ offering online rendering of users scenes, then? And I don't think Iray is anything to do with Otoy?

I wouldn't beat yourself up over your earlier decisions. You still benefit from combining this new engine with your hardware. You don't have to be online to render, and you aren't tied to DAZ Studio if it doesn't go in a direction you like. Better to be independent.

Octane still rocks my world. :-)
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,621
    edited December 1969

UHF said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

All my knowledge of Reality transferred verbatim to Octane. I kinda miss Reality's Mesh lights with Gobos.. That was handy. (but for the love of God why can't I use Point At! ARG!)

Kyoto Kid: This does no in any way make Reality/Luxrender obsolete. A big part of what Reality is, is Paolo's efforts to translate materials. It makes the whole experience rather friendly and helps produce good renders.
    ...yeah but until Lux gets their pure GPU rendering working soundly (and Reality is revised to be compatible with it), pure CPU rendering in Lux makes Bryce's old render engine look blazingly fast .

edited December 1969

On the subject of unbiased rendering in general, the many and varied renders in this thread do illustrate that a render process in itself cannot provide 3D realism. Success in textures / materials / shaders and lighting, etc., is essential to a scene.

It's interesting how literal unbiased rendering can be. Some of the images look like photographs of dimensional models, as if someone has 3D printed a scene at 1/24th scale and taken a photo of it. Some of the renders don't look like scenes of people or objects, they look like highly realistic pictures of models.

edited December 1969

If I had simply waited a few months, I could have used DS new native unbiased rendering, using Daz's GPUs instead of purchasing my own.

On another thread, they've announced that there's no network rendering for now.

So your Titans still have work to do.

DAZ renting out Iray renderfarm time for NVIATWAS(WithRealCaustics) scenes could be business genius. ;-)

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited March 2015

WOW! Call me impressed with the DS 4.8 Beta iRay render engine.

Darius mat + iRay Optimized Genesis 2 Male material applied. Used the default iRay photoreal settings, but upped the Render Quality from 1 to 2. Took about 13.5 minutes using CPU i7-3930K + GT 430 1GB 96 cuda cores + GT 640 3GB 144 cuda cores. Definitely a good excuse to upgrade these modest Nvidia gpu's.

Edit: I found the Iray Sun Dial light preset and used it in this brighter image.

Darius_IRay_Sun_preset.jpg
    883 x 886 - 398K
    Darius_iRay.jpg
    946 x 886 - 420K
    Post edited by Lindsey on
    edited December 1969

If I had simply waited a few months, I could have used DS new native unbiased rendering, using Daz's GPUs instead of purchasing my own. So if I'm not mistake thne I wasted a LOT of money for a system that will not perform as quickly as DS's native Iray implementation.

They must be. If I'm understanding the video linked before about Iray, yes indeed it is connected in some way to Daz3d via the internet. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm still yet to test it myself.

If I was a plug-in developer I'd be quite miffed right about now, and quite significantly so. IF for no other reason than the fact that these plug-in sales are certain to be negatively impacted by DS having it's own native unbiased rendering. This really should have been announced by Daz to the community a long time ago. Sure, we would have been anxious to see it, but at least we wouldn't have potentially wasted resources.

I'm happy for Daz3d indeed, but for my tastes, they really should have told us about this months ago, publicly as an ofoicla announcement. Extremely bad move to keep a development this monumental a secret this long. I almost feel lied to, after so much investment has been made by so many forum members. Next time Daz, if you're going to completely change the game, give us a little heads up. This news comes as welcome but very much bittersweet instead of just plain sweet.

edited December 1969

If I had simply waited a few months, I could have used DS new native unbiased rendering, using Daz's GPUs instead of purchasing my own.

On another thread, they've announced that there's no network rendering for now.

So your Titans still have work to do.

DAZ renting out Iray renderfarm time for NVIATWAS(WithRealCaustics) scenes could be business genius. ;-)

Business genius was when they purchased their own Iray VCA machine so they don't need to rent anything, people will instead rent from them. It may not be there quite yet, but based on the video it seems clear that networking is the main ideal for this type of rendering. Yes, for now, I am still ahead with my Titans but once the "cloud" is up and running, I will be in a much less lovely position.

Progress is frustrating but welcomed. I will go away and sulk /celebrate in peace. As far as chess moves are concenred, Daz3d just captured the opponent's Knight, closing in on the King.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,322
    edited March 2015

If I was a plug-in developer I'd be quite miffed right about now, and quite significantly so. IF for no other reason than the fact that these plug-in sales are certain to be negatively impacted by DS having it's own native unbiased rendering. This really should have been announced by Daz to the community a long time ago. Sure, we would have been anxious to see it, but at least we wouldn't have potentially wasted resources.

It may not have been entirely up to DAZ - this is obviously a partnership with nVidia, so there may have been requirements from that end too.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

This really should have been announced by Daz to the community a long time ago.

Simultaneously announcing it to their competitors. I don't think so.

I suppose it's a bit like buying a new luxury car and then next day, out of the blue, Ford/GM/Toyota announce the new anti-gravity medium saloon with low-orbit pressurisation. A bit of a bitch-slap but just another day in progress-by-commerce.

edited December 1969

Business genius was when they purchased their own Iray VCA machine so they don't need to rent anything, people will instead rent from them.

That's what I meant, Rashad. DAZ don't make NVIATWAS scenes, their customers do. 8-/

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148
    edited December 1969

All I can say is WOW. The renders are so photo realistic it's not even funny. Congratulations DAZ. Color me impressed. I will wait for the final to be released. But will keep tabs on this and the beta thread for now.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

They must be. If I'm understanding the video linked before about Iray, yes indeed it is connected in some way to Daz3d via the internet. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm still yet to test it myself.

I haven't looked at that video, but the renderer is resident on your computer just like 3delight, no internet connection required.

edited December 1969

I haven't looked at that video, but the renderer is resident on your computer just like 3delight, no internet connection required.

When fully implemented I suspect network rendering is what this will develop into. I could be wrong however.

So far it seems Iray is rendering faster than Octane because it is combining my Titans with my Xeons. Cannot complain one bit.

• AprilYSHAprilYSH Posts: 1,481
    edited December 1969

So far it seems Iray is rendering faster than Octane because it is combining my Titans with my Xeons. Cannot complain one bit.

whoah! lol how cool :coolcheese:

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,073
    edited December 1969

Guaranteed. My system doesn't have an internet connection and Iray is working just fine.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

I haven't looked at that video, but the renderer is resident on your computer just like 3delight, no internet connection required.There is another Video with a car being moved in real time being rendered on none, 1, 4 and 16 Iray VCA (Video Computer Appliance). It is, IMHO, a very impressive demonstration of what happens when you throw more hardware at Iray.

edited March 2015

There is another Video with a car being moved in real time being rendered on none, 1, 4 and 16 Iray VCA (Video Computer Appliance). It is, IMHO, a very impressive demonstration of what happens when you throw more hardware at Iray.

It also seemed to me that the point of the video was to attract render farm builders to adopt these VCA devices instead of the traditional route. Daz can easily afford the $50K needed to buy one of these and perhaps even have the funds to buy more than one. They could ( and I assume will) then sell time on those VCA machines to the DS community likely for a price.

But I may well be reading too much into it. I am willing to wait and see.

Post edited by Rashad Carter on
    edited December 1969

It also seemed to me that the point of the video was to attract render farm builders to adopt these VCA devices instead of the traditional route.

That is entirely Nvidia's interest in acquiring and developing the technology behind Iray - to flog their hardware by the bucket load. Be it to (the likes of) DAZ or directly to DAZ's customer base.

Further development of Iray is contingent upon the success of this business model.

Which may be another good reason to keep your fingers in an alternative pie...