My Projects in 3D Digital Rendering

Comments

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957

@Rakuda - I love seeing all the wonderful things you've been making. Please continue. Also, the pipe is really, really great. Reminds me of when I used to smoke; I don't miss cigarettes or tobacco in general. (So happy to be free) But a pipe--now that was hard to give up. The only real temptation I ever feel is around the various pipe tobaccos that are out there. Anyway, keep up the great work.

• themidgetthemidget Posts: 287

Beautiful work Rakuda!

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited May 2018

@Saphirewild That is exactly how I feel. I remember the enticing scent of my own grandfather's pipes and father's as well. Great memories!

@Wanderer Yes, I don't really smoke, but an occasional pipe once or twice a year in the fall and a glass of wine is a nice thing to go with the crisp air and fall leaves..

@themidget Awesome! Glad you enjoy it! ^__^

After much work, here is an orderly layout in a template of all the parts of the image map for the washing machine. Now, I have to work on the details of the maps accordingly.

washer_diffuse_map_template.png
    697 x 697 - 28K
    54634.jpg
    1526 x 1976 - 1M
    washer_final.JPG
    1406 x 881 - 129K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited May 2018

Here is a rough draft to test out my map. All looks good except there appears to be some issues with the geometry

of my map at the top of the inner drum. This can be easily corrected. Next I have to just take some time to finesse

everything and get the map just right.

rough_draft_washer.jpg
    1526 x 1976 - 2M
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

You are crazy good at this.  And fast!

edited May 2018

@IceDragonArt I try Sonja. A little bit each day. ^__^

Hi again. Back playing with DForce and trying to simulate a mop. It is in two parts with a clasp and the strings.

The mop strings have a preset that is similar to a sweatshirt fabric from dForce Master - Cloth Simulation Presets. While simulating,

as can be seen, the strings go right through the clasp as if it doesn't exist. I am trying to remedy this behavior.

By the end of the simulation, the mop strings are all on the ground and have escaped the clasp completely!

Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited May 2018

Progress:

As suggested by @RGcincy adding more resolution to the clasp geometry did the trick!

Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited May 2018

Thought I had it, but apparently, there is still an issue holding the head of the mop together and containing

the strands. There probably has to be a physically weld of the strands to form a band along the root.

moptest2.jpg
    900 x 900 - 900K
    Post edited by Rakuda on

It's looking really good.  You must have a lot more patience than me!

@Rakuda - You're doing really, really excellent work here. Love seeing your rapid progress. Does adding a weight map and painting the areas where you want the mop strands not to be simulated help? Here's a thread I found that suggests someone was having an issue with clothing, but I have no idea if this is relevant to your problem. I hope something I've said helps.

@Rakuda - Also, I don't know if you'd be interested at all, maybe it's much too niche/specific to be of interest to you, but there is a really cool book that goes into great detail about various pipes from around the world: The Pipe Book by Alfred Dunhill. I have a copy. It has a lot of hand drawings, but very informative.  Anyway, just thought maybe it'd be helpful if you were considering making other styles of pipes. In any case, keep going!

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Wow the pipes look so very realistic.  Great work, not only on those but the other models you have made.

edited May 2018

Thanks again all! @themidget @Wanderer @Worlds_Edge Definitely hope to keep some good freebies coming.

@Wanderer, Definitely weight mappping is going to be the way to go. I just have to find time in the next few days to sit down and do it. Time time.... I will check out that book or something else at the library. .Yes, it would be fun to make an array of pipes, or at least morph the current pipe in a few ways and have a few texture variations.

Here I was playing with a texture set and made a  male and female version of the morph and textures using FaceGen. You could call them "Maxim" and "Sezim"... seems like appropriate names as they could be siblings. 

^__^

Max-Sez4.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 385K
    Max-Sez7.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 359K
    Max-Sez8.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 313K
    Max-Sez10.jpg
    1200 x 1553 - 611K
    Post edited by Rakuda on

Cool mop!  Its nice to see everyday practical items.

@Rakuda - These two characters are interesting. I like them. I really think I'd like to get FaceGen and play with it. Seems to be very useful.

edited May 2018
    Wanderer said:

I really think I'd like to get FaceGen and play with it. Seems to be very useful.

It is.

Post edited by themidget on
    edited May 2018

Here is the modeling of the mop head that I can now attach the mop to and then apply the weight map to the mop itself.

mophead2.JPG
    1391 x 855 - 122K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited May 2018

Here is the mop bucket. I need to put an arm bar on the squeezer mechanism and some little wheels, but almost there.

Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited May 2018

A quick render of progress in the laundroomat scene. I got a little help from a few freebies including the hamper and the arcade machine. I need to adjust the scale a bit on a few things like the stools. Actually, the stools arent the final ones that I want in the scene. I will make some. Also, I think it is actually the folding table that needs to be bigger.

-Rak

This one is a bit better below.

645458.jpg
    1526 x 1220 - 2M
    645459.jpg
    1526 x 1220 - 2M
    Post edited by Rakuda on

Yes the second one is much better as far as the folding table goes. 

edited May 2018

A Laundromat Soap Dispenser. Now I just have to make a padlock for the front hooks.

Update:

Here is the lock:

I need to adjust my scaling a bit on different elements and then take my textures from this reference:

Also, next I need to put a white painted wood backsplash behind the folding table oon the wall as shown. I am looking forward to dirting up the image maps a little.

soap_dispenser.JPG
    1406 x 880 - 114K
    soap_dispenser2.JPG
    1394 x 860 - 106K
    IMG_1255_SM.jpg
    782 x 1200 - 180K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited May 2018

I figured something out today which probably seems elementary to some, but for me it was helpful. We all start somewhere... When doing complex objects, I can

1. model the whole thing in Hexagon
    2. export the  parts to individual hexagon files
    3. create  the simple maps for the pieces on a part by part basis
    4. re-import the pieces into hexagon one by-one
    5. select everything and rearrange the maps
    6. export one big  image map
    7. open that general image map in Photoshop
    8. place the individual object maps (maybe as Photoshop smart objects) one at a time in their places

That way I have higher resolution individual maps and and can set up the maps for everything much easier with less trouble. It also allows for better re-use of parts that could be used in various projects.

Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited May 2018

Here is an example of what I mean by breaking it down and making the individual  maps first.

The Box

'

A Bracket to hold the lock

dispenser_box.JPG
    1409 x 882 - 89K
    lock_holder_bracket.JPG
    1406 x 631 - 72K
    Post edited by Rakuda on

Interesting.  I hadn't been in a laundry mat in years.  Literally, until my washer broke down last fall.  Took a week to get a new one in. So off to the laundry mat I went.  Your modelling is amazingly accurate for the subject matter right down to the grime on that last machine lol. 

edited May 2018

Here is a redesigned coin changer  that is suitable for reuse on a variety of machines... now to image mapping.

coin_changer.JPG
    1391 x 857 - 125K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited May 2018

Currently being inspired by this new artist that I found named Clinton Crumpler.

Also to be found on Flickr.

He is also the owner of Dekogon Studios. Love that retro home screen!

Post edited by Rakuda on

Keep going, man. Your stuff is incredible. Thank you for sharing.

edited May 2018

@IceDragonArt - Not there yet with the textures, although I would like it to be as gritty as the reference photo.

Thank you @Wanderer ^__^

Here is the soap dispenser with procedural textures. I also changed up the branding a bit. I want to do some grit and texture on the metal, but I have to research that a bit to come up sith some good bump and roughness maps. Also, I have to come up with some fake detergent brands to put above each coin accepter.

Soap_vendor.jpg
    1483 x 1920 - 1M
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited May 2018

Locks

Locks.jpg
    1483 x 1920 - 2M
    Post edited by Rakuda on

@Rakuda - I'm beginning to feel like a broken record--old expression not everyone will get now. Maybe a scratched CD would work, but those aren't as common either. I feel old. LOL.. That looks incredible. Well done.