August 8.1

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

RenderScot3D said:

certaintree38 said:

Sevrin said:

So my initial reaction was "Cool, a gender-diversity bundle".  And then I looked at it.

August is a little too stylized for me, and the promos suffer from copy/paste syndrome.  There's nothing wrong with stylized, but kind of sends a strange signal.  The outfit styling is great, but the execution gives us the same the bundle-neoprene stuff we're used to from pro bundles.  The poses are the usual stereotypical LGBTQ drag queen/manspreading lesbian sideshow stuff.   And the flags, well, they're from the Parade bundle.

The hair's fine, though! 

The hair only has promos showing it from the side, which makes me think it probably looks silly from a front view. It's also kinda ridiculous to not include at least one promo showing a product from the front.

I've seen police officers with hair like that.  Well, almost.  Theirs was a lot shinier.  They can do that because their caps go up in front.  Also Tintin.

• AllenArt said:

No.

So, when exactly was it that Daz changed hands again? I'm thinking about November....that's about when I started losing interest in most of what's been in the store. There's been a total 180.

My assumptions is that it's their new art director. Who started a bit before November. If he's truly directing the artistic look and flow of the products and what's being approved/rejected from the store, then it's obvious he has "unique" tastes. I'm in the same boat as you as far as spending. Heck, I haven't even purchased a gift card in months even with the gift card sales because I'm not buying as much as I used to here. Everything is so lackluster these days or way too specifically geared towards an audience I'm not a member of cheeky

• DripDrip Posts: 1,153

xyer0 said:

plasma_ring said:

Wicked Whomp said:

A clearly adolescent one that they've decided to include anatomical element materials for. Daz had one job. Hard pass.

This artist's characters always look a little on the young side, but with this one it's almost entirely in the face. For what it's worth, I'm 37 and if I'm wearing masculine clothes sometimes people still mistake me for my partner's teenage son. 

NONE of Thorne's other Genesis 8 Core Figures include anatomical elements, but Daz makes the rules; so, they can break them whenever they choose, or define them away. And it's evidently acceptable to sexualize non-binary children.

Children.

Dunno, depends a bit on which promo you pick, so angle and lighting do matter. On some of them, I'd guess him/her 21-27.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,570
    edited March 2021

The store states August 8.1 as female. 

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Yeah, gens in a bundle with a figure that looks underage is Not A Good Look for Daz. And that's being charitable.

I was hoping I could support this one, but between it being 8.1 only and then gens. Nope, not even considering the base figure.

Serene Night said:

The store states August 8.1 as female. 

They had to put them somewhere, and they probably figured there are already too many male characters.

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,287

Only thing I have in my cart from the Bundle at the moment is the Dapper outfit - but another paper thin suit? :-( I know dforce doesn't like thickness, but that doesn't help realism and puts me off buying things. The shirt collar is more a mandrian collar than a shirt collar, the jacket collar at the back, doesn't look right in some views. The texture add-on talks of difference between the male and female textures but only shows female ones. I could be talking myself out of this unless something can show me some great renders.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,815
    edited March 2021

I love the concept here and very much appreciate the thought behind August (and Torment).

But in the case of August I just don´t love the execution, as much as it bums me out to write this.

I tend to like Thorne´s work if it´s full-on toon. The more it veers towards realism the less it speaks to me. I don´t love Josie and Kaylee, either. Or Cleopatra for that matter, who isn´t a Thorne character but has the same issue, in my opinion.

Post edited by Hylas on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,146

Is there an option for the front of the hair to be shorter?  If so I may pick it up.

• JeniMorrisJeniMorris Posts: 144
    edited March 2021

Oh I love this portrait! RenderScot3D

Post edited by JeniMorris on
    edited March 2021

Worlds_Edge said:

Is there an option for the front of the hair to be shorter?  If so I may pick it up.

Hair Options:

hairoptions.JPG
    205 x 550 - 30K
    edited March 2021

I don't like Maynard hair. First, it does not apply/ fit in 4.11, so it does require the newer version of studio, and I dislike the styling of the front. 

RenderScot3D said:

Very cute!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

the other thorne stuff isn't on sale.

• CrescentCrescent Posts: 321

I see August as an older teen.  If they're gender fluid with a flat chest, they might sometimes go out in a bikini and sometimes in swimming trunks.  The pics don't strike me as sexualized at all.  The bikini is a little silly, but definitely something I could see a teenager buying.  I think the face was made a bit younger looking to provide better mixes with other morphs, especially male morphs.

What gets me is some of the renders are mis-labeled.  Row 4, pics 1 and 2 are obviously wrong for what morphs were mixed together.

The pose pack is weird.  Half is over-the-top drag queen and the other half is average person poses.  Maybe that's supposed to reflect the gender fluidity somehow, but it strikes a very wrong tone, IMO.

Regardless, I appreciate it when DAZ branches out beyond pretty white sorority girls.

Drip said:

xyer0 said:

plasma_ring said:

Wicked Whomp said:

A clearly adolescent one that they've decided to include anatomical element materials for. Daz had one job. Hard pass.

This artist's characters always look a little on the young side, but with this one it's almost entirely in the face. For what it's worth, I'm 37 and if I'm wearing masculine clothes sometimes people still mistake me for my partner's teenage son. 

NONE of Thorne's other Genesis 8 Core Figures include anatomical elements, but Daz makes the rules; so, they can break them whenever they choose, or define them away. And it's evidently acceptable to sexualize non-binary children.

Children.

Dunno, depends a bit on which promo you pick, so angle and lighting do matter. On some of them, I'd guess him/her 21-27.

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 551

Characters look great. Excellent addition to my library!

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,563

Serene Night said:

I don't like Maynard hair. First, it is FiberMesh, so it does require the newer version of studio, and I dislike the styling of the front. 

Fibremesh normally means from Zbrush, which means it can be used on other figures and it is not dependent on the DS version number. I am not sure if this is the case here.
    edited March 2021

It does no fit to the figure's head in 4.11   It does however do so in 4.15 

Fibremesh normally means from Zbrush, which means it can be used on other figures and it is not dependent on the DS version number. I am not sure if this is the case here.
    edited March 2021

One of my renders with them together-both the Genesis 8.1 Male UVs and Genesis 8.1 Female UVs ;-)
    Also the versatility is really cool. Long hair render is the Genesis 8.1 Male Model/UVs.

GenderFluidPride.jpg
    3000 x 1875 - 3M
    August Male UV Popup 12.jpg
    2308 x 3000 - 4M
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,563

Serene Night said:

It does no fit to the figure's head in 4.11   It does however do so in 4.15 

I do all my stuff as Fibremesh and it fits fine. And I am not using 4.15. So I am curious about that.
    edited March 2021

I do all my stuff as Fibremesh and it fits fine. And I am not using 4.15. So I am curious about that.

Yeah, dunno. I only use 4.11 and keep an installed version of 4.15 to view but not render new stuff. 

I use 4.11 since it is prior to the GPU hits that current iray, drivers etc. seem to make  I don't have other versions right now, but I've found sometimes content made in the newer versions of DS don't always work with older versions.

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 826
    edited March 2021

Yeah, dunno. I only use 4.11 and keep an installed version of 4.15 to view but not render new stuff. 

I use 4.11 since it is prior to the GPU hits that current iray, drivers etc. seem to make  I don't have other versions right now, but I've found sometimes content made in the newer versions of DS don't always work with older versions.

Well, I guess I'll test it when I get home tonight. I use 4.10 so if this is an issue I'm returning it. I hate to do that and have only done so once. The hair looks great imo and I much prefer Fibermesh over strand-base/deforce.
    Post edited by ZippyGuitar on

This one has a bit of a young Kate Moss thing going on that you don't get from the other promos.  Lovely render.  

Cool, let me know.

I'm going to return the bundle. I can't use it. 

edited March 2021

Sevrin said:

This one has a bit of a young Kate Moss thing going on that you don't get from the other promos.  Lovely render. 

Funny, I see young Tyra Banks!

Post edited by Hylas on
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

So, does this finally mean Genesis 9 will go back to being unisex? Because the release of this character totally destroys the excuse used to seperate the figure down gender lines and effectively proves it really was more of a marketing decision.

Thank you @Sevrin ;-)

Sevrin said:

Xenomorphine said:

So, does this finally mean Genesis 9 will go back to being unisex? Because the release of this character totally destroys the excuse used to seperate the figure down gender lines and effectively proves it really was more of a marketing decision.

What marketing?  G8F and G8M are free to use and free to base custom characters on, and there are inexpensive tools for switching junk around.  Also, these characters are fairly androgynous and stylized and unrepresentative of the majority of Daz characters, not to mention of an age where gender differentiation isn't that pronounced.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,146

Serene Night said:

ThI don't like Maynard hair. First, it does not apply/ fit in 4.11, so it does require the newer version of studio, and I dislike the styling of the front. 

Thanks for the info.  The front bugs me a bit too, that's why I was wondering if it could be shorter/spikier rather than so curled back.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,755

I usually alter all skin and can’t work with the new shaders, I still think the older iRay shaders look MUCH better and I know how to manipulate them to my liking. I have sooooooo many characters and morphs, I may be done purchasing new characters. I see no advantages to G8.1 and I’m scooping up older characters in the $2.99 sales and I already have enough to work with for the rest of my life lol. I’ve been testing out a few of the $2,99 characters I purchased and with a few tweaks, some of the skins look AMAZING IMO.  I have no interest in the new shaders. I’m sure the skins themselves on August are great, is there a way to apply the older shaders to them?