August 8.1

Daz 3D very first official non-binary base character! :D

Comments

• RCDeschene said:

A clearly adolescent one that they've decided to include anatomical element materials for. Daz had one job. Hard pass.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

So my initial reaction was "Cool, a gender-diversity bundle".  And then I looked at it.

August is a little too stylized for me, and the promos suffer from copy/paste syndrome.  There's nothing wrong with stylized, but kind of sends a strange signal.  The outfit styling is great, but the execution gives us the same the bundle-neoprene stuff we're used to from pro bundles.  The poses are the usual stereotypical LGBTQ drag queen/manspreading lesbian sideshow stuff.   And the flags, well, they're from the Parade bundle.

The hair's fine, though! 

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    Torment is non binary too, though people tend to misgender them because it was less overt and only mentioned in the description. I <3 Torment. (https://www.daz3d.com/torment-8-1)
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,743

Wasn’t original Genesis technically gender fluid? It seems strange to go back to that format now... I thought they originally divided the sexes to make clothes fit better. This just seems like a PR stunt based on pop culture current trends...

certaintree38 said:

Torment is non binary too, though people tend to misgender them because it was less overt and only mentioned in the description. I <3 Torment. (https://www.daz3d.com/torment-8-1)

Not sure human/demon is non-binary.  JK.  Torment is fine, but it's a different concept, and better executed.

edited March 2021
    Sevrin said:

So my initial reaction was "Cool, a gender-diversity bundle".  And then I looked at it.

August is a little too stylized for me, and the promos suffer from copy/paste syndrome.  There's nothing wrong with stylized, but kind of sends a strange signal.  The outfit styling is great, but the execution gives us the same the bundle-neoprene stuff we're used to from pro bundles.  The poses are the usual stereotypical LGBTQ drag queen/manspreading lesbian sideshow stuff.   And the flags, well, they're from the Parade bundle.

The hair's fine, though! 

The hair only has promos showing it from the side, which makes me think it probably looks silly from a front view. It's also kinda ridiculous to not include at least one promo showing a product from the front.

Post edited by Sera on
    Sevrin said:

certaintree38 said:

Not sure human/demon is non-binary.  JK.  Torment is fine, but it's a different concept, and better executed.

lol. Yeah, the new character's body morph options are definitely interesting and something I haven't seen before.

RCDeschene said:

A clearly adolescent one that they've decided to include anatomical element materials for. Daz had one job. Hard pass.

Third post in a row... Sorry. But yes this struck me as odd.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

I think it's a pretty interesting character, would buy it but I need to cut down a bit on spending :P

I wonder if we ever get away from nipple shaming as well. "This person identifies as a female...shock horror... cover the nipples!" vs  "This person identifies as male...nipples are fine..."

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

Wicked Whomp said:

RCDeschene said:

This artist's characters always look a little on the young side, but with this one it's almost entirely in the face. For what it's worth, I'm 37 and if I'm wearing masculine clothes sometimes people still mistake me for my partner's teenage son. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Wasn't the original Genesis a 2-in-1 capable character too?

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,735
    edited March 2021

plasma_ring said:

Wicked Whomp said:

This artist's characters always look a little on the young side, but with this one it's almost entirely in the face. For what it's worth, I'm 37 and if I'm wearing masculine clothes sometimes people still mistake me for my partner's teenage son. 

NONE of Thorne's other Genesis 8 Core Figures include anatomical elements, but Daz makes the rules; so, they can break them whenever they choose, or define them away. And it's evidently acceptable to sexualize non-binary children.

Children.
    Post edited by xyer0 on
  • LucielLuciel Posts: 475

nonesuch00 said:

Wasn't the original Genesis a 2-in-1 capable character too?

Yes.

Though, with morphing the same has been true for every generation. 

I also use the female 8 base to make male figures, and have done for aaages.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,604

Big pass from me

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569

The character looks too - unnatural. As a whole, the bundle is very weak. DAZ had better bundles with better conditions/discounts attached. Since there is also nothing for me in PCFAD, I am just using up my March PC+ coupon.

<sarcasm on>I have to save money anyway to purchase one of those nifty NFT's <sarcasm off>

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676
    edited March 2021

I guess the no shoulder rule is out the window lol. That cover picture is pretty racy, looks like a 12 year old girl with a totally unbuttoned shirt.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • MunemanMuneman Posts: 219

Can the mods clarify how the $20 coupon will work? It's not straight store credit, so it feels like there's going to be some pretty strict criteria for it.

But that said, the bundle comes down to $23 with all the discounts applied. That's not a bad price, especially if that ends up being a good coupon.

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569
    edited March 2021

Muneman said:

Can the mods clarify how the $20 coupon will work? It's not straight store credit, so it feels like there's going to be some pretty strict criteria for it.

But that said, the bundle comes down to $23 with all the discounts applied. That's not a bad price, especially if that ends up being a good coupon.

Well, last time (i.e. last week, IIRC) we had a coupon like that. It

• was restricted afterwards (i.e. on the day the coupon was issued. There have been no restrictions noted in the actual promo)
    • it did not work with the store (incorrect discounts if coupon was applied)
    • was pulled in the middle of the day "to fix the issues"
    • was re-issued again rather late within the DAZ day
    • and was invalidated at DAZ midnight
    • complaints were handle via the "please open a ticket with a cart snapshot" route.

I will not again fall for this. Those bundles are a hard pass for me now.

Post edited by Mark_e593e0a5 on
  • bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,810

Muneman said:

There's some discussion of the coupon in the sales thread, but no comment (yet) by the mods.

The small print on the promo says that it can't be used to buy gift cards (i.e. you can't simply turn the coupon into store credit). Like all coupons, it can't be combined with other coupons. Those are the known limits.

There's speculation that it'll only be good for one day. I've seen nothing so far to either support or confirm that, but it wouldn't hurt to assume that that's the case. So if you plan to be away from your computer on April 5th, then it might not be for you.

No other restrictions are mentioned in the promo, so in theory you would be able to use it on new items, PC+ items, Fastgrab items, etc. I think that if DAZ later announce that this is not the case, that, for example, new items are excluded or you can only spend it on selected DAZ originals, then this would rightly be seen as bait-and-switch, and there would be a lot of very unhappy customers. I like to think that DAZ are smart enough not to do this, but that too is an assumption. Of course if you do get the coupon and DAZ then announce that it can only be used to purchase selected items for Victoria 3 at full price, there's always the 30-day money-back guarantee.

bytescapes said:

Muneman said:

There's some discussion of the coupon in the sales thread, but no comment (yet) by the mods.

The mods are volunteers (and customers), not Daz employees.  They don't have any more advance information about promotions than other customers. 

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,810

Sevrin said:

bytescapes said:

Muneman said:

The mods are volunteers (and customers), not Daz employees.  They don't have any more advance information about promotions than other customers. 

They sometimes act as channels for information from DAZ. But DAZ are still asleep at this time. Which was the point of my "(yet)". We might see a clarification later in the day (perhaps in the form of a comment from a moderator, perhaps in the form of an edited promo). But it's too early for that just now.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,779

If this had come out last week, it would had saved me a lot of work. I am working on a series of renders of a family with kids the ages of six and seven (same father), nine, ten, eleven, twelve, and thirteen (twins) and their mother. Except where pointed out, all the kids had different fathers and their mother's features dominate heavily. I instead used Vernon HD for G8M by Mousso, and Growing-Up and morphed features lightly and found the male to female shift worked nicely for the mother, but for a seven year old girl, I hit a wall on the breasts. So I used another character for her. Having two characters up front that have the same genetics in each sex and at an age I can move them up or down the age scale easily, and tone them up as needed is useful. 

Even though I have the towel and of course the gens packages already, with the discount I have, at just $23.61 it is $4.72 an item. Characters, two outfits, hair, and yes, another pose pack I expect I will not use. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567

The clothing is useful to me, so I picked up the bundle since it was cheaper than buying alacarte..

I already own the pride flag, the poses look uninteresting to me, and don't use throne products, but it was simply cheaper to go that route.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,263
    The outfits are another swing and a miss for me. I think they're great if you want women's clothes styled more like menswear, though.
  • margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Timbales said:

The outfits are another swing and a miss for me. I think they're great if you want women's clothes styled more like menswear, though.

I think we need more good professional wear for men and women, and having a unisex option kills two birds with one stone. However, the fact that it took four PAs to make and the texturing look kind of eh makes me wary. Has anybody actually tried the Dapper Fluid suit out yet?

• This would be a great character... if it wasn't done by Thorne, because their characters all look the same. :T

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145
    edited March 2021

No.

So, when exactly was it that Daz changed hands again? I'm thinking about November....that's about when I started losing interest in most of what's been in the store. There's been a total 180.

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,263
    edited March 2021
    margrave said:

Timbales said:

I think we need more good professional wear for men and women, and having a unisex option kills two birds with one stone. However, the fact that it took four PAs to make and the texturing look kind of eh makes me wary. Has anybody actually tried the Dapper Fluid suit out yet?

I can deal with a texture not looking good, can always make my own. But when the modeled in details are wrong, there's nothing I can do with that. I can make do with older content that has accurate details, like Uzilite's M4 dress shirt and pants.
    Post edited by Timbales on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567

I'm going to check it out. Unfortunately not until later. But we'll see. 

• certaintree38 said:

Sevrin said:

The hair's fine, though! 

The hair only has promos showing it from the side, which makes me think it probably looks silly from a front view. It's also kinda ridiculous to not include at least one promo showing a product from the front.