October Carrara Challenge: VOTING ENDED... WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!!

124»

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082
    edited November 2014

sukyL said:
    That's too funny booksbydavid! I entered the September challenge, and told everyone I knew that I had entered a 3D art contest and really wanted to come in second place for the same reason. They thought I was crazy!

The sense of community here is terrific and there are so many people here offering support, I don't think anyone could help but have a fun and positive experience hosting. It does take a chunk of time to be sure, but definitely well worth it. So, don't let hosting keep you from entering!!!

On second thought.... be a little worried if evilproducer or diomede aren't around to get your back ;-)

Speaking of awesomeness and support, I want to thank Bunyip02, diomede64, evilproducer, dustrider, and Stezza for cheerleading, updates, and renders in the Commons thread! The Commons is a big, scary place it was great to have friends out there. Also, thanks to Antara for letting me post the special edition Vote! cover there.

What a nice and unexpected thing to read! Thank you, SukyL.

From my perspective, the winner should not feel a huge external obligation. There are two musts. (1) In the beginning, pick the monthly challenge theme and rules - including clarifying any questions people might have. (2) At the end, coordinate with the winners and Britney of Daz. Everything between is gravy.

The other stuff is much appreciated, and I am always amazed by the selflessness of so many coordinators, but not required. That is where the community comes in. A winner need not feel obligated to keep a running commentary on every WIP in the Commons - but I think doing so had generally positive results. A winner need not provide technical or artistic advice for every entrant WIP, although that is always appreciated. I think it is obvious by now that in terms of giving artistic advice, I can tell people the chemical composition of paint (that was an analogy, I am not a chemist). So if I ever win again, I really can't give constructive criticism for composition, color palette, etc. But I might be able to help with finding a tool or function in Carrara that can do something that people might not be aware of. That might be my contribution sometimes. At the risk of embarrassing people, I would point out that Roygee and Varsel have great modeling insights (in addition to all else), Antara and Headwax have great postwork insights (in addition to all else), and on and on. The coordinator shouldn't feel an obligation to do it all.

What I am trying to say is that I would encourage anyone worried about the time commitment of winning to enter. The forum community (not just the entrants) do try to chip in and alleviate the burden. Please don't avoid entering for fear of winning. People are busy. We get it.

Having said that, I really am going to try to find some way to recognize EP with some sort of Most Valuable Entrant award. Unfortunately, it will likely be a sharecg freebie.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

Antara said:

Heh, heh. I've been sweating for days...'Please don't pick me, don't pick me, don't pick me'. It's not the only reason I haven't entered more Challenges (I've been pretty busy), but it is a 'small' concern. I came in on this one because I couldn't resist the theme. If another irresistible Challenge comes along I'll probably bite at that one as well. I'll just have to man up and take my medicine. :) If I were lucky(?) enough to place first, that is.;-)

I was wishing you to win, and I believe you deserved to! But I hope this scare does not prevent you from entering the next challenge. I absolutely loved your input and I would be sad to miss it.

:lol: I was wishing for you to win. I guess we know who the wish fairy listens to most. Heh, heh.

While hosting was a concern, lack of time plays a bigger part now. This Challenge happened to come at just the right time, and I couldn't resist the theme...and headwax's nagging :) If time permits, I will most certainly join in on the next Challenge. I had forgotten how much fun they were.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

headwax’s nagging

Moi? Little ole moi? How could I ever nag? Gee, I ask you, 'me nag', go on say it, as if I would ever nag? Oh and one more thing, the garbage still needs to be taken out and that dripping tap is driving me nuts and the lawn needs mowing and all the girls are coming round for morning tea and the fridge still keeps freezing the cup cakes and the gin and tonics taste like other people's bad breath not to mention the washing is still in the machine, that's the same washing as last week let me say

and , oh where was I?

Me nag? hehhehe :)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    headwax’s nagging

Moi? Little ole moi? How could I ever nag? Gee, I ask you, 'me nag', go on say it, as if I would ever nag? Oh and one more thing, the garbage still needs to be taken out and that dripping tap is driving me nuts and the lawn needs mowing and all the girls are coming round for morning tea and the fridge still keeps freezing the cup cakes and the gin and tonics taste like other people's bad breath not to mention the washing is still in the machine, that's the same washing as last week let me say

and , oh where was I?

Me nag? hehhehe :)

I take back the nagging comment. Life's too short. :)

Maybe I meant peer pressure. That's it! Peer pressure...like the Mafia. "You need to be in this Challenge or maybe you might just lose that leg. You don't really need that leg to work on that art stuff, do you? So, what do you say? Let's get you in that Challenge thing...or else."

Heh, heh.

edited December 1969

Pirate Pressure maybe? :)

FINNIE.jpg
    1478 x 2000 - 479K
  • sukyLsukyL Posts: 251
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

head wax You should make a Vote or else version as well ;-)

edited December 1969

sukyL said:
    head wax said:

head wax You should make a Vote or else version as well ;-)

ha ha good point :)

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Now, that's pressure! (curls up in a fetal position on the floor and waits for the mean pirate man to go away)

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Now, that's pressure! (curls up in a fetal position on the floor and waits for the mean pirate man to go away)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh me hearties,
    Yes, it hurts when he walks on your back, at least he's not wearing his stilettoes :)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    head wax said:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh me hearties,
    Yes, it hurts when he walks on your back, at least he's not wearing his stilettoes :)

Heh, heh.

edited December 1969

heads up David, Ron's brushes in fast grab :) http://www.daz3d.com/rons-vintage-collection

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

My sincerest apologies for missing the voting. For some unknown reason Daz's forums wouldn't let me log in and post for nearly a week straight. I think I managed to get one post in and then it kicked me out again. I assume it's because they were changing the website in general, but mostly because the forum software hates me (and I have 2 different laptops, tried to login on both, using IE on Win7 and Win 8, as well as Chrome and Firefox... nothing seemed to work).

Looks like the winners matched pretty close to what I would have voted anyway, Congratulations to Antara, BooksbyDavid, Pimpy and Evilprroducer, seriously stellar work from everyone who participated, there were so many entries that actually had the look of real life pulp magazines. This challenge was a ton of fun to do and what a great theme! Also wanted to say thanks to SukyL for doing a first rate job on this one, and of course thanks to Antfarm for sponsoring :) Really, really great challenge!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

sukyL said:
    That's too funny booksbydavid! I entered the September challenge, and told everyone I knew that I had entered a 3D art contest and really wanted to come in second place for the same reason. They thought I was crazy!

I was really pleased to come second for exactly that reason. There's no way I could have run the competition as well as you did. :red:

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    heads up David, Ron's brushes in fast grab :) http://www.daz3d.com/rons-vintage-collection

And thank you for that. I'm off to grab before it goes away. :)

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    My sincerest apologies for missing the voting. For some unknown reason Daz's forums wouldn't let me log in and post for nearly a week straight. I think I managed to get one post in and then it kicked me out again. I assume it's because they were changing the website in general, but mostly because the forum software hates me (and I have 2 different laptops, tried to login on both, using IE on Win7 and Win 8, as well as Chrome and Firefox... nothing seemed to work).

Looks like the winners matched pretty close to what I would have voted anyway, Congratulations to Antara, BooksbyDavid, Pimpy and Evilprroducer, seriously stellar work from everyone who participated, there were so many entries that actually had the look of real life pulp magazines. This challenge was a ton of fun to do and what a great theme! Also wanted to say thanks to SukyL for doing a first rate job on this one, and of course thanks to Antfarm for sponsoring :) Really, really great challenge!

Hi jonstark Thanks so much. I'm glad you enjoyed the challenge. So sorry you weren't able to vote. That really stinks!

SukyL

edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    sukyL said:

I was really pleased to come second for exactly that reason. There's no way I could have run the competition as well as you did. :red:

Hi Tim_A I'm sure you would have, but that's nice of you to say. Thanks!

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

The NEW Challenge is here, and it's a special, Holiday one!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/48708/

Enjoy :), and please give me feedback and help - feel free to PM me if you have suggestions or concerns.

edited December 1969

;) yah!