October Carrara Challenge: VOTING ENDED... WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!!

Comments

• sukyLsukyL Posts: 251
    edited December 1969

Time's up!

I'll count the tie breaker votes and be back shortly with the final results.

edited November 2014

THE FINAL VOTES ARE IN!!!!

Massively huge THANK YOU to the Third Place tie-breakers, who posted and PM'd their votes, for coming back for yet another excruciatingly difficult decision!!!

The winners of the October Carrara Challenge: Create a pulp magazine cover with Chills, Thrills, & Carrara Skills! are....

First Place and Host of the November Carrara Challenge: 13 Votes
    Entry #5
    Artist:
 Antara
    Title: 
 Robot And Juliet
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/47729/#698411

Second Place: 9 Votes
    Entry #11
    Artist: David Collins (booksbydavid)
    Title: Alien Jungle Menace
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/47729/#700917

Third Place: 8 votes regular voting plus 4 tie-breaker votes

Entry # 3
    Artist:
 Pimpy
    Title: 
The incredible experiment
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/47729/#697842

Honorable Mention: 8 votes regular voting plus 3 tie-breaker votes

Entry #12
    Artist:
 evilproducer
    Title: 
War of the Worlds
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/47729/#701475

Congratulations winners!!! Awesome work all who entered!!! I want to give a big thank you to everyone who entered, submitted WIPs, commented, voted, followed along, or just checked out the challenge threads! Thanks so much for embracing my pulp cover theme. The results were beyond my hopes. The displays of imagination, creativity, skill, and camaraderie were inspiring. I truly wish I were the editor-in-chief of a real magazine. I would hire the lot of you! I have totally enjoyed being the host of this challenge. Now, I can't wait to see what Antara comes up with for the November Carrara Challenge! Good luck!

Very special thank you to our wonderful challenge sponsors -- DAZ 3D and The AntFarm -- for their generous challenge incentives. Thank you to Britney Creek for coordinating the sponsorship and Paul Haber for awarding of the prizes.

I'll be in contact with the winners via PM (most likely tomorrow) with award details.

sukyL

Post edited by sukyL on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the all the winners, and SukyL for hosting a great challenge!! I'm looking forward to see what Antara has in store for us next month.

• waxfin_c9ea3eab69waxfin_c9ea3eab69 Posts: 57
    edited December 1969

wow that;s a very satisfying result, well done :)!! Antara David Pimpy and Evil ;)
    the quality of the entries was super superb, that made voting so much harder

and thankyou sukyL for running a tight and enthusiastic challenge

and Daz and Antfarm for their kindness!! Love Antfarm's work.

If I can make a suggestion to Antara - that the challenge after this next one, both the winner and the second place getter bec0me the hosts.
    It will take a little of the strain of the host, as it is a hard job if it is done right

congrats again :)

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Congratulations all, great contest!

• AntManAntMan Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to everyone, great work and tons of fun for us the audience, I enjoyed this a lot.
    John
    The AntFarmer

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,709
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners, many thanks to the sponsors, and great entries/work by everyone involved !!!!!!
    Special thanks to SukyL for a superb choice for the challenge.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited November 2014

Congrats to all winners and ALL participants...BooksByDavid, you really jumped in and I loved your entry as I did Pimpy's and Antara's and it was truly amazing to see 40+ pages of WIPs !!! Is that a first?

Down to you, Suky. You did an amazing job and presented a great theme. Hope to get into the next challenge and also see you there and winning!

Antara, can't wait to see what you come up with!

:) Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Well done everyone. Can't wait for the next one...

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to all!

I really learned a lot just by participating in this between trying new things myself and seeing how everyone else did things; looking forward to the next one! :)

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Great job everyone! Congratulations to the winners and many thanks to the sponsors!

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to David, Pimpy and EvilProducer!

And great many thanks to all, and especially sukyL and our sponsors.
    Honestly, I am terrified, because this was such a superbly hosted challenge and came on the tails of a few other phenomenally successful ones, I feel it will be impossible to live up to such high standards.

Please have patience with me, as I want a few days to try to sort some things out before we go into the next challenge. It's also almost the next week of November (and will be even later by the time I am ready to post the next challenge) and then we'll have the winter holidays through December, so people might get busy. I would like to give a bit more than one month's time for the next challenge, and maybe end it closer to the Christmas. Would there be objections to that?

Andrew, I want to agree with you about shared hosting, but at the same time, I am not sure it's going to work well. Sure, it's a big responsibility, but maybe having to coordinate efforts between 2 hosts might add more work, not make things easier. (And there is also the consideration of "у семи нянек дитя без глазу" :) Have fun with that one :), I was pleasantly surprised with Googles ability for idiomatic translation. But I think the English version loses the wonderfully gory nature of the Russian phrase - try it with one word per line and see what it means. ;) ) So I think I'll leave this decision to whoever comes after me. :) Especially since I want to mess with too many rules already....

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited November 2014

Congratulations to the winners and all the participants ...(and of course thanks to all the voters and the people who voted twice ... :) )
    Many Thanks to Daz and to The Ant Farm and a special thanks to SukyL, for having hosted this fantastic challenge.

@ Antara – Good luck for hosting the next challenge and take it your time but I'm sure that it will be another “great challenge”

Post edited by pimpy on
  • booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

Wow! What a surprise to wake up to. :) Thanks to sukyL for the great theme. It's been a while since I participated in the Carrara Challenge and this theme was a super fun return.

Congrats to Antara, pimpy and evilproducer. Great job all.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

headwax said:

...If I can make a suggestion to Antara - that the challenge after this next one, both the winner and the second place getter bec0me the hosts.
    It will take a little of the strain of the host, as it is a hard job if it is done right

congrats again :)

I respect the suggestion, and it is up to the winner what they want to do, but for my part, I appreciate the moral support and help, but would actually prefer to host it myself if I were to win again at some point. It kind of goes back to the old saying, two chefs spoil the broth or something of that nature.

edited December 1969

Congratulation to everybody. If you learned something, were inspired to try something new to you in Carrara, or just plain inspired, then you were a winner, whether you entered or not!

Special congratulations to Antara, David and Pimpy! You all did absolutely splendid work!

A very special thank you to SukyL for a wonderful job hosting this challenge. You clearly have some mad artistic skillz™, however, being new to this aspect of the DAZ 3D family here in the Carrara Discussion forum, you have gone above and beyond the call of duty hosting this challenge with enthusiasm and grace. Again, thank you!

Thank you also to Antfarm for sponsoring this challenge. I'm sure your plate is pretty full with other commitments, but it be great to see you pop in once in awhile to see what' being accomplished with Carrara and your products.

A big thanks to DAZ 3D for generously sponsoring these challenges in such a generous manner and with such consistency. Thank you to Britney for handling the DAZ 3D logistics. I'm sure it is extra work for her in an already busy job.

edited November 2014

Antara, I certainly have no objection if the challenge runs a bit longer than normal. We're all volunteering for this after all, so I think a little latitude is in order.

I wouldn't worry about expectations either. You never know what is going to grab somebody's imagination. You're very creative, so I don't think that will be a problem.

Besides, you're joining the exclusive, Multiple Carrara Challenge Hosts' Club, of which headwax and I are members.
    ;-)

Just remember the old host secret handshake and you'll be just fine!

secret_handshake.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 285K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802
    edited December 1969

well done everyone..

You all did very well

Good contest SukyL :coolsmile:

Thanks Mr antfarm I shall now go and see your store in the new shop format to see what's on sale.. love your products ;-)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    well done everyone..

You all did very well

Good contest SukyL :coolsmile:

Thanks Mr antfarm I shall now go and see your store in the new shop format to see what's on sale.. love your products ;-)

agreed!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

Antara, Evil

Seven naked children without an eye?
    Ah that sounds like a good old proverb to me :)

:) Yes, I think two bosses would be like a bunch of blind children frolicking on a busy street.
    It was just a suggestion because I felt that some people wouldnt enter because they were too afraid of winning. ;)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Antara, Evil

Seven naked children without an eye?
    Ah that sounds like a good old proverb to me :)

:) Yes, I think two bosses would be like a bunch of blind children frolicking on a busy street.
    It was just a suggestion because I felt that some people wouldnt enter because they were too afraid of winning. ;)

:lol: I knew I could count on you to appreciate the proverb, although when I do a word by word translation, I am getting "at seven nurses child without eye", so I am guessing it's something along the lines of "a child left to the care of 7 nurses will end up without an eye"?
    When I did the word by word translation I was vividly reminded of some of your dark, spooky images, which if not directly display something gory and horrific at least hint at it in the mood :)

But going back to the more serious topic, I hope that the prospect of hosting doesn't put people off. I think it has been said before that if a person cannot host for some reason, they can delegate (?). At least I am hoping this is still the case, (not because I intend to use this clause, for the next challenge, but because I think it's a good clause to have for those whose schedule might not permit hosting, even when it permits occasional participation.)

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

Don't laugh, but that is precisely why I've not been entering.
    I've not wanted to complain, because everyone seems to be pleased with the way the contests are going.
    But, for personal reasons, the consequence of winning is too much to deal with.

Perhaps there are others in the same boat?

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    head wax said:

I've not wanted to complain, because everyone seems to be pleased with the way the contests are going.

Heh, heh. I've been sweating for days...'Please don't pick me, don't pick me, don't pick me'. It's not the only reason I haven't entered more Challenges (I've been pretty busy), but it is a 'small' concern. I came in on this one because I couldn't resist the theme. If another irresistible Challenge comes along I'll probably bite at that one as well. I'll just have to man up and take my medicine. :) If I were lucky(?) enough to place first, that is.;-)

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

It was just a suggestion because I felt that some people wouldn't enter because they were too afraid of winning. ;)

LOL - I never entered because I didn't want to embarrass myself :roll: When I finally did enter, I never worried about hosting a challenge if I won, cause I didn't consider that even a remote possibility. But, obviously I was wrong (just once). It was actually a bit less work than I expected it would be, and a lot more fun than I thought it would be, but did take quite a bit of time.

edited November 2014

That's too funny booksbydavid! I entered the September challenge, and told everyone I knew that I had entered a 3D art contest and really wanted to come in second place for the same reason. They thought I was crazy!

The sense of community here is terrific and there are so many people here offering support, I don't think anyone could help but have a fun and positive experience hosting. It does take a chunk of time to be sure, but definitely well worth it. So, don't let hosting keep you from entering!!!

On second thought.... be a little worried if evilproducer or diomede aren't around to get your back ;-)

Speaking of awesomeness and support, I want to thank Bunyip02, diomede64, evilproducer, dustrider, and Stezza for cheerleading, updates, and renders in the Commons thread! The Commons is a big, scary place it was great to have friends out there. Also, thanks to Antara for letting me post the special edition Vote! cover there.

Post edited by sukyL on
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    head wax said:

I'm sure if you did win one, you could abdicate the hosting duties to the number two winner. We're pretty forgiving unless you use LW, then Dart and I come to your convention and give you so much crap your eyes turn brown. Just ask Garstor. ;-)

edited December 1969

de3an said:

Please don't let it deter you from entering. It's true that it's probably the only competition you ever enter where you are more afraid to win the first place than not place at all, but as mentioned before, if you really don't want to host, you can delegate and not just to fellow place winners, but to anyone in the community who may want to try their hand at it. If you don't want to host, it would be no fun for you and much less fun for participants, so nobody wants that to happen :).

But as others have mentioned, the support network here is wonderful, so if you do end up hosting, I think you might find a more pleasant experience than originally feared.

edited December 1969

Heh, heh. I've been sweating for days...'Please don't pick me, don't pick me, don't pick me'. It's not the only reason I haven't entered more Challenges (I've been pretty busy), but it is a 'small' concern. I came in on this one because I couldn't resist the theme. If another irresistible Challenge comes along I'll probably bite at that one as well. I'll just have to man up and take my medicine. :) If I were lucky(?) enough to place first, that is.;-)

I was wishing you to win, and I believe you deserved to! But I hope this scare does not prevent you from entering the next challenge. I absolutely loved your input and I would be sad to miss it.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225
    edited November 2014

Congratulations to the winners (have fun playing with your new prize earnings!) and a warm thank you to all else whom have participated! I enjoy these things - seeing all of the wonderful imagination at work, and the results are fantastic! It's always such an impossibility to vote for favorites!

Anyways, great job to all!
    Also, Thanks to my friends Britney and TheAntFarm for being so generous to our contestants! Love you folks!

EDIT: TheAntFarm has always been one of my favorite stores, here at DAZ 3D... An enormous collection of great render assistance!
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

Congrats to the winners and many thinks to the spnsors and all who help.