October Carrara Challenge: VOTING ENDED... WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!!

Comments

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Forgot to add, I really love sukyL's Extinction 2057. Really keyed in to the pulp mag style, with dog eared cover to boot.....a shame really that one couldn't vote for that one.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited October 2014

First of all, thanks to SukyL for coming up with such in inspirational challenge and hosting it with such grace and attentiveness. Bravo!

Thanks also to our fine sponsors, AntFarm and DAZ 3D without which, these challenges wouldn't be what they are. Thanks also to all of our past sponsors!

Now to the very hard part. All of the entries were very good. It is so hard narrowing it down, which is a testament to the talented folks that participated.

#3 Incredible Experiment by Pimpy. You did a really nice job with the feel of this. The set you constructed for this fits the genre, and the effects are very nice.

#5 Robot and Juliet by Antara. How can you not feel moved by the robot? The lighting and poses are also excellent.

#17 What A Time To Take A Shower by Jon Stark. A really good job of making the monster visible in the scene, yet suggesting it is hidden in shadows. The woman's pose and expression are excellent. She looks very sexy in the towel. Just what you would expect in a scene like that. If I had one criticism, it would be that the render is too small. I would have liked to click the thumbnail and look at the details a bit better!

I'm going to waffle a bit on the HM suggestions and suggest a few candidates.

Honorable Mention suggestions:

#11 Alien Jungle Menace by David Collins (BooksbyDavid) I went back and forth so many times on where to place this that I think I was giving my web browser whiplash! It's a great job. I don't know what else to say. The modeling you did for this is super cool. I'm thinking about switching my vote at this moment.

#10, Sink Night by Tim_A. Great expression. Love the titles!

#6, The Long Sleep by Varsel. I am very impressed by the modeling work you did for this one, as well as the cover layout

#15 Robot Bears Invade Mars by headwax. A perfectly concocted Twilight Zone of a cover. Cute, twisted and subversive at the same time.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

Forgot to add, I really love sukyL's Extinction 2057. Really keyed in to the pulp mag style, with dog eared cover to boot.....a shame really that one couldn't vote for that one.

yes :)

• sukyLsukyL Posts: 251
    edited December 1969

Wow! I absolutely love looking at all these great pulp covers in one place. It gives me such a thrill that the theme inspired such enthusiasm and awesomeness! I so wish they had actual stories to go with them.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to vote their favorites and leave comments so far. Also. Thanks to those who have left comments for my entry. Sorry if it seems strange to pull mine from voting. I promised it to myself, early on, so I wouldn't get too stressed out. I'm just happy I was able to finish.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

This kind of composition is not at all my speciality then, I made my choice only on the general look.

1- Entry: 10
    Artist: Tim_A
    Title: Sink Nigh

More expensive than the others (25 pence against 25 cents), but I feel a true plot in this composition.

2-Entry # 4
    Artist: Diomede
    Title: Daughter of the Falcon

Visually very special and moreover, all is “home made” (what I like)!

Entry #11
    Artist: David Collins (booksbydavid)
    Title: Alien Jungle Menace

Attract the glance by its fluorescent colors and in an excellent composition.

HM:
    Entry #: 7
    Artist: 
 evilproducer
    Title: 
 Secret of Pandora or How to Get Boned.

Very beautiful work!

Entry #5
    Artist: 
 Antara
    Title: 
 Robot And Juliet

Good idea!

I would have liked to vote for all because each artist stand out something in his work.
    Congratulation with all!

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

This has been a wonderful challenge which I have enjoyed thouroughly.
    It is extremely hard to say one is detter than the next as they are all very good in thier own right with lots of talent behind each one.

So here goes............

1. Entry # 3

Artist:
 Pimpy

Title: 
The incredible experiment

I thouroghly enjoyed the details on how to create the effects and it has such a wonderful point of view as a spectator behind the mad scientist.

2. Entry #15

Artist: Headwax

Title: Robot-bears Invade Mars

This one has an extremely enticing cover and theme which would draw the reader in.

3. Entry #1

Artist: Mark D. Olsen (MDO2010)

Title: Robot Attack

This one has drawn me back so many times as it seams to really fit the genre.

it is just so hard to pick so for HM here we go.

Entry #5

Artist:
 Antara

Title: 
 Robot And Juliet

Well done which imparts an emotion of Loss I think.

Entry #:7

Artist:
 evilproducer

Title: 
Secrets of Pandora or How to Get Boned.

This one also does give a feeling of desolation and loss. what a wonderful render and explanations.

Well done all.

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited December 1969

The WIP thread was really informative, loved it!
    Great challenge and amazing, dazzling entries.
    Though choice!

Entry #5 Artist:
 Antara Title: 
 Robot And Juliet

Entry # 6 Artist : Varsel Title : The Long Sleep

Entry: 10 Artist: Tim_A Title: Sink Night

Honorable Mention suggestions :
    Entry # 3 Artist:
 Pimpy Title: 
    Entry #:7 Artist:
 evilproducer Title: 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,804
    edited December 1969

You've all done very well :-)

Entry #15

Entry # 3
    Artist:
 Pimpy
    Title: 

Entry #8
    Title: Space Station Zero

HM:
    Entry #11
    Artist:
    David Collins (booksbydavid)
    Title:
    Alien Jungle Menace

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

The voting gets more difficult for me each time. I guess I'll just go ahead and vote and quit torturing myself. But honestly, there is some really amazing work here, wish I had a fraction of the skill and talent exhibited in this challenge!

Here are my votes:

Entry #8
    Title: Space Station Zero

Entry #5
    Artist:
 Antara
    Title: 
 Robot And Juliet

Entry #12
    Artist:
 evilproducer
    Title: 
 War of the Worlds

Honorable mention:
    Entry # 3
    Artist:
 Pimpy
    Title: 

edited December 1969

It is one of those rare difficult decisions where it is good that it is difficult.

Don't sell yourself short dustrider, your entry is outstanding as well!

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    The voting gets more difficult for me each time. I guess I'll just go ahead and vote and quit torturing myself. But honestly, there is some really amazing work here, wish I had a fraction of the skill and talent exhibited in this challenge!

That is my sentiment exactly. I've been going back and forth on this for days. And after all that I've only narrowed things down to 7(!!!)... This is really unbelievably hard.

Well, I'll mention all seven, and they are so close it's really not fair to exclude the other 4 as it ends up being almost a coin toss.

So the 3 votes:
    - Entry #11 Artist:David Collins (booksbydavid) Title: Alien Jungle Menace
    I would be immediately interested in this magazine. It instantly draws me in, and I want to flip through those pages and read the illustrated story. From overall conflict and composition, to the smallest details of plants, costumes and effects, it tells a fascinating story set in a mysterious world, and I want to know all about it.

- Entry #3 Artist:
 Pimpy Title: 
    I love everything about this image and cover. Great idea, excellent composition. True to the style and and themes of the originals.

- Entry #8 Artist: Mark D. Olsen (MDO2010) Title: Space Station Zero
    This is such a beautiful classic sci-fi cover. It would not look out of place on the shelves of a real news stands today. Clean, stylish, effective. In fact, if I were running a sci-fi publication, I'd be wanting this artist's info on my commission contact list.

Now to the HM nominations, and I will have 4, I am sorry, but I just cannot skip any of these images.
    The entries are listed in the order of entry#: 6,7,10,17...

- Entry # 6 Artist : Varsel Title : The Long Sleep
    Love the evolutionary reversal. This is just the story I'd expect to be covered in a such a publication. Lovely ageing effects on the equipment and great expression in the posing.

- Entry #:7 Artist:
 evilproducer Title: 
    I love the lighting and the vegetation, especially the glowing flowers, and the dead astronaut's body. Such a great juxtaposition of the beauty and abundance of the life on the planet and the deadliness of it to humans. I can see this being an illustration to some of my favorite sci-fi stories - thoughtful, socially aware and smart and allegorical. Something by Bradbury or Simak or Strugatsky Brothers.

- Entry: 10 Artist: Tim_A Title: Sink Night
    Very different genre, but still within the type of publications we are covering. Beautifully stylized and perfectly fitting for the genre it covers.

- Entry #17 Artist: Jonstark Title: What a time to take a shower!

The one and only reason why this image did not make it to the very top of my list is the page layout and fonts. Other than that, it is absolutely wonderful and would push all others out of the competition, I think. The illustration itself is perfect: the posing, the lighting, the monster, the atmospheric effects. Brilliant and perfect. But this was a cover challenge, so I had to take the font and page layout into account.

Honestly, I can keep going, because even these 7 are not enough!
    Can we make it so that participants cannot vote? I'm finding the voting harder and more emotionally draining than participating!

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    oh sukyL, the sense of a time worn magazine cover you have achieved is brilliant

Echo that! This entry would be in my top 4 if I were permitted to vote on it.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Is it me or are the monthly contests attracting more entries? That's a good thing!

This was one of the trickiest contests to pick for me. I kept going back and reviewing the entries and adjusting my list. Here's what I ended up with:

Choices
    Artist: DustRider
    Title: DAZling Stories - Raie and the Triassic Terror!!

Artist:
 evilproducer
    Title: 

Honourable Mentions
    Artist:
 Antara
    Title: 
 Robot And Juliet

Artist: Jonstark
    Title: What a time to take a shower!

Many more entries could be added to the HM list. I had several good laughs over the cover designs and titles. I say this every month...but I wish I had more time to work on an entry some time; every time my job calms down a bit it ends up being the signal of a storm. My Carrara skills are atrophying as I spend more time in LightWave...

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

good ones guys
    my 3 picks

Artist:David Collins (booksbydavid)

Artist: Pimpy
    Title: The incredible experiment

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,711
    edited December 1969

Heaps of entries I would love to make my number 1 choice.
    But since I only get 3 in total plus one Honorable Mention:-

1. Entry #5 - Artist:
 Antara - Title: 
 Robot And Juliet
    Very nice, loved the concept and the way the scene was put together.

2. Entry #12 - Artist:
 evilproducer - Title: 
 War of the Worlds
    Excellent render, and great use of your model

3. Entry #11 - Artist: David Collins (booksbydavid) - Title: Alien Jungle Menace
    This one definitely reminds me of those 1930's to 1950's space comics !!!!!!!

Honorable Mention. Entry #8 - Artist: Mark D. Olsen (MDO2010) - Title: Space Station Zero
    Love your spaceship !!!!!!!!

All of the entries were great, including those who did some great WIPs but for various reasons were not able to get their entries in.
    Many thanks to sukyL for a great choice for the challenge, and many thanks to the sponsors once again !!!!!!

• NetWorthyNetWorthy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So many great ones to choose from, really tough! I looked mainly at two things: How much of the work appeared to be done in Carrara and how true is the image to the target genre. So here is what I come up with:

My top votes:

Entry #3
    Entry #5
    Entry #10

Honorable Mention:

Entry #2

As I said, this was really TOUGH as they ALL are great!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225
    edited December 1969

This one IS tough, once again. So I've finally decided to stop looking for render wows, and just go for my favorite magazine covers. Last time I came to do this, I think I picked differently, so it certainly has a lot to do with how a person is feeling, what they've eaten for the day, how much sleep, who they've dealt with, etc., it all changes how we perceive art? Perhaps. Anyways, here's my vote(s):

What? I cannot vote for SukyL?!!! What gives with that! Totally unfair! That's one fantastic mag cover!
    But I'll respect the artist's wishes and silently tell everyone that I want to vote for this one, but I cannot.

Entry #5

Artist:
 Antara

Title: 
 Robot And Juliet

Entry #11
    Artist: David Collins (booksbydavid)

Entry #12

Artist:
 evilproducer

Title: 
 War of the Worlds

Honorable Mention:
    Entry: 10

Artist: Tim_A

Title: Sink Night

Dog gone hard to do this judging thing! All of the submissions are fantastic! I almost wish that, instead, I could vote for all of them, and place them in an placing order... so I guess that's what I did, except that I didn't put my final votes in any particular pecking order. But we always seem to have a WIP thread preceding, and following along with the submission thread. Couldn't you folks converse in the WIP thread and decide who will submit something that sucks, just to make the voting easier?

edited December 1969

Thank you everyone for making this voting decision so difficult! It was an excruciating exercise narrowing down the list, but a joy to go over each entry over and over again.

Here are my choices...

Entry # 3
    Artist:
 Pimpy
    Title: 

This cover is truly electrifying! It successfully captures the essence of weird science with the incredible ape/himan transformation and lightening effects. The modeling is wonderfully detailed. I especially like the sense of depth created by the grid, angle of the chamber walls, and mad scientist in the foreground. The text and layout enhance the composition quite well and all available space is utilized--elements of a classic pulp cover.

Entry #5
    Artist:
Antara
    Title: 
Robot And Juliet

The theme of love lost is a classic depicted here with a fresh perspective and humanity through the gestures of the robot who doesn't even have a face!. This cover is so bold in it's composition, use of color, and utilization of every inch of space-- very much in the spirit of the original pulps. The colors are gorgeous and the lighting from the glowing panel illuminates the human and robot beautifully. The diagonal angle is quite daring and works so well with the angle of the DAZling title. I just couldn't stop coming back to it.

Entry # 6
    Artist : Varsel
    Title : The Long Sleep

People in tubes is my favorite pulp cover theme ever! I just can't resist it. The modeling of the cryochambers, hoses, and control panel is excellent. The streaky rust shader is perfect on the cryochambers. I like the whole composition with all the cryochambers receding into the background. I so want to know what's with the ape scientists!?

Sorry, I can't narrow honorable mention, so I'm suggesting a couple like others have:

Entry #12
    Artist:
evilproducer
    Title: 
War of the Worlds

This is such an exciting composition with the dramatic lighting and angle! The Martian War ship is a classic and well modeled. The backdrop of the hills, trees in silhouette, and sky are also quite remarkable.

Entry #1

Beautiful modeling on the robot, classic pulp cover color and composition, and I love the role reversal with the woman saving the man. The aging and cellophane tape repairs are an excellent touch!

I'll be back tomorrow with the final tally for first, second, and third place. I'm hoping The AntFarm will be able to assist with the honorable mention decision. If not, I'll thoroughly go over your suggestions for a final decision. Until tomorrow!

I declare voting on the October Carrara Challenge officially ended!

edited November 2014

I've counted the votes multiple times...There is a tie for 3rd Place between...

Entry # 3
    Artist:
 Pimpy
    Title: 
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/47729/#697842

and

Entry #12
    Artist:
evilproducer
    Title: 
War of the Worlds
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/47729/#701475

I would like to have a tie breaking vote. Winner of this vote receives Third Place and the other will be awarded Honorable Mention. You can either vote here or send me (sukyL) a PM by tomorrow November 5, 8pm US MST (DAZ time). I'll count the tie-breaking votes then announce all winners immediately afterward.

Post edited by sukyL on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

oh dear ! maybe you could count the HMs?

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

Just thought, is the tie breaking vote just for previous voters? If so Pimpy has my vote. Great to see a "new" contender place in the top three!

Entry # 3
    Artist:
 Pimpy
    Title: 

:) Silene

edited December 1969

I vote again for ........................
    Entry # 3
    Artist:
 Pimpy
    Title: 
The incredible experiment.

In my opinion every one is a winner.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082
    edited November 2014

Wow, talk about a tough choice. Both are deserving. I will choose Pimpy for 3rd place and Evilproducer for honorable mention. Congratulations to the winners as well. What an amazing month! Thank you Daz for continuing these and Antfarm for this month's sponsorship. And SukyL, bravo, bravo. Too bad you made your own ineligible but I can understand.

Tentacle monster asked me to pass along a message regarding his reported defeat. Drawn directly from Citizen Kane. ;-) :-)

65656813_Fraud20at20Polls20Citizen20Kane20194120Warner20Bros_answer_1_xlarge.jpg
    184 x 197 - 8K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

I contemplated using the HM suggestions, but it was all over the place with many, including myself, giving multiple suggestions. So, I thought this might be a bit cleaner solution. Bad on me for not lining up someone in advance for this contingency. :red: It's a mini redo vote just between these two, It's ok if you did or didn't vote previously. PM me with your vote if you prefer.

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Tentacle monster asked me to pass along a message regarding his reported defeat. Drawn directly from Citizen Kane. ;-) :-)

:lol:

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

The initial voting slipped right past me. I need a personal assistant to keep me up to date.

Anyway, on to the tie breaker.

This is hard. Like diomede64 says, 'both are deserving'.

I vote for:
    Entry #12
    Artist: evilproducer
    Title: War of the Worlds

I've got a soft spot for War of the Worlds. :)

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited November 2014

It's a bit unclear who is eligible to cast the re-vote... But if we all are, then here is my choice

Entry # 3
    Artist:
 Pimpy
    Title: 

But only because I liked EPs other entry much better than #12, so out of the specific 2 mentioned, I'd go with #3.

But yeah, tough choices. I am not surprised we have ties... In fact, voting was so tough, I was afraid we'd end up with fewer voters than entries....

Post edited by Antara on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited November 2014

Had to think about this a while, and go back and check my original vote to remain consistant.

Here are my votes:

Third Place:
    Entry #12
    Artist:
 evilproducer
    Title: 
 War of the Worlds

Honorable mention:
    Entry # 3
    Artist:
 Pimpy
    Title: 

Post edited by DustRider on
    edited December 1969

I shall refrain from voting. ;-)

edited December 1969

I shall refrain from voting. ;-)

I think I know who you are voting for.............:)

Pimpy..............?