Genesis 8.1 / Victoria 8.1

Comments

• kimhkimh Posts: 386
    edited January 2021

My first render of Victoria 8.1. I am pleased with her. Other then fixing a few poke-throughs and adjusting the lighting a little in Paintshop Pro this is her out of the box

Victoira 8.1 testbDaz.jpg
    4000 x 3200 - 8M
    Post edited by kimh on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Virtual_World said:

My first V8.1 render.  I love the new skin shaders; but I needed to adjust my preferred lights because it looks to me that the new shaders react different to those lights or it is something new in 4.15 or the Iray renderer..

I definately like your older renders better. The new might show more detail but your renders are so pretty.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I have read two people in this thread that have gotten the Victoria 8.1 Vellum Hair product in DIM after buying Victoria 8.1 as part of a bundle. It's not in either of my Product Library or DIM. Is this a phased rollout & I should wait or to I need to file a ticket & tell them they didn't get all the Victoria 8.1 purchasers their copy of the Vellum Hair?

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

I only bought Victoria 8.1 and I got it yesterday I think, or this morning, don't quite remember (been a bit stressed today lol). If it isn't in your product library (or can't find it in DIM or Smart Content depending which one you use) than you should probably contact support.

• Visuimag said:

mumia76 said:

Visuimag said:

As for content, no, I'd like to see new clothes/hair/skins exclusive to 8.1. Time for something new after 3.5 years. .

If that new brought more to the table than it takes away, you'd be right. I was expecting G9 or G10 or whatever it's going to be called by now, not a minor update that breaks stuff and what it improves is questionable or barely noticable. 

After 3.5 years, it was time for something new in my eyes. Things breaking do not disprove that and a full new release could have broken things and/or something releasing a year after Gen 8 released could have been broken as well. 

Also, while you may have expected a Genesis 9, the .1 update was apparent based on recent marketing. I would like a new Genesis as well, but am fine with what they've given with 8.1. And, outside of some 8 expressions not working with 8.1 (which will most likley be fixed in an update), I do not see what has been taken away.

1++++

• RobotHeadArt said:

Anyone else think this release hasn't gone as smoothly as others in the past? I know with G8 there were lots of PAs praising the new model and justifying the backwards compatability breaking changes, one PA was even bragging of crying tears of joy at their high sales of new G8 item.  G8.1 doesn't seem to have the same level of PA engagement and DAZ must have not given much advance notice to them since DAZ didn't even make it a full week before running out of G8.1 items to sell (today no new G8.1 items).

Really the reason there's less PA engagement in the forums is that I'm so chatty and won't shut up about it :D But seriously, the reason a lot of vendors aren't in the forums chatting about her is that they're working hard on G8.1 stuff. As far as product releases go, particularly the PA's that this is their main source of income, will make things a month or two before they want them in the store so they can plan on a steady income, and if something happens and they can't work for a bit, they'll have products coming into the store so they'll still be earning.

Also, Daz hasn't run out of G8.1 items yet. As I'm sure you're aware by now, this release has been a little different that previous ones because the compatibilty level with the previous base is very good. In fact, the mesh and rigging are identical. The former UV's still work, etc. This is basically a transitionary period. The PAs know that some people are hesitant to update to a new system or might not have a computer capable of it, so a lot will choose to make sure their products are still compatible on G8. Since most everything will work on both-- clothing, poses, hair, etc-- there's not a lot of need to keep it G8.1 specific. That said, the character artists in general really like the new UV's with 8.1 and the new shader that's available, so other than expressions, I suspect that characters will be the quickest thing to move to G8.1. I suspect it won't be a hard switch though. I hope that makes sense.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Virtual_World said:

My first V8.1 render.  I love the new skin shaders; but I needed to adjust my preferred lights because it looks to me that the new shaders react different to those lights or it is something new in 4.15 or the Iray renderer..

This is a beautiful render! yes 

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

My first V8.1 render.  I haven't really decided if I like her face yet.  Her chin was looking way to big so I had to make some tweaks. Pretty much out of the box with some slight tweaks to lighting and just a touch of sharpness added.

Victoria81TM012021edit.jpg
    1236 x 2000 - 2M
  • VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 551

charles said:

Visuimag said:

mumia76 said:

Visuimag said:

As for content, no, I'd like to see new clothes/hair/skins exclusive to 8.1. Time for something new after 3.5 years. .

If that new brought more to the table than it takes away, you'd be right. I was expecting G9 or G10 or whatever it's going to be called by now, not a minor update that breaks stuff and what it improves is questionable or barely noticable. 

After 3.5 years, it was time for something new in my eyes. Things breaking do not disprove that and a full new release could have broken things and/or something releasing a year after Gen 8 released could have been broken as well. 

Also, while you may have expected a Genesis 9, the .1 update was apparent based on recent marketing. I would like a new Genesis as well, but am fine with what they've given with 8.1. And, outside of some 8 expressions not working with 8.1 (which will most likley be fixed in an update), I do not see what has been taken away.

I am hoping the idea is that 8.x series will continue to tweak the current series and maintaine compatibility. If they have to break every damn thing previously to push G9 or G10 to some truely more realistic like other systems are offering I would be cool with that.

I'm with you on the notion of realism! 100%.

That said, for the sake of trying to understand more of the issues that folks are having, I do at least hope they can maintain some stability going forward. I totally appreciate what we receive for free either way! 

edited January 2021

I will say, I wonder if DAZ characters can finally reach this level at some point in 8.1's life. If Vicky 8's skin is anything to go by, we may get close (particularly if skins are built with XYZ in mind)!

Post edited by Visuimag on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

DustRider said:

Mystiarra said:

pity, they didnt fix the missing polys from the root regions.  not that i'm seeing any morph shapes for 8.1

she's bending in carrara, but no morphies or erc. morphies and pose controls work for g3
    and the missing to polies only ouchie the female.  g8m doesnt have the problem.

no party and i can cry if i want to

not seeing any of my g8 character mrophs on the shaping tab for 8.1
    am i supposed to do something to make them show up ?upI

I think you should be able to get the morphs in Carrara using the same procedure that people who are using versions of DS earlier than 4.15. There are several posts in this thread about it. IIRC you need to copy the morphs from their location for G8F to the same location with respect to G8.1F. DS 4.15 automatically links G8.1F to the G8F morph folder.

it was worth a try.  i see the morphs and eCrtl listed in the morph targets dialog, but they don't shw up when she selected in the instance panel like g8f does.  i dont see them in ds, running 4.11 
    oh well, glad to find out before i bought V8.1 bundle

on the one bright note, the g8f base pose presets so far work on 8.1 in carrara.  

morphs here but not under params.JPG
    800 x 500 - 74K
    g81g81-1.JPG
    1035 x 600 - 74K
    g81-2.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 70K
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,235

Visuimag said:

I will say, I wonder if DAZ characters can finally reach this level at some point in 8.1's life. If Vicky 8's skin is anything to go by, we may get close (particularly if skins are built with XYZ in mind)!

well... only the repeating xyz textures can be used out the box; we cant use full body and face scanned textures from xyz, so we are still mostly dependent on PAs. The advent of G8.1 isnt spontaneously going to make PAs receptive to using higher res and more realistic textures and shaping more realistic morphs.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,235

kimh said:

My first render of Victoria 8.1. I am pleased with her. Other then fixing a few poke-throughs and adjusting the lighting a little in Paintshop Pro this is her out of the box

if i cover up her robotic face and awkward hand pose with my hand, then this looks photoreal. Her skin looks really good here in this light set up.

edited January 2021

lilweep said:

Visuimag said:

-pic

well... only the repeating xyz textures can be used out the box; we cant use full body and face scanned textures from xyz, so we are still mostly dependent on PAs. The advent of G8.1 isnt spontaneously going to make PAs receptive to using higher res and more realistic textures and shaping more realistic morphs.

I never said magic fairy dust was going to suddenly bring DAZ figures to the level of Zbrush's best. I simply look forward to better results than anything I achieved before, which should also bring some of us closer to what my colleagues over at Pixologic are pulling off. I was specifically taking about shaders and textures and xyz is an option, not the only way to reach those heights.

At the start, I am a good deal closer than before.

Amanda 01C.png
    3840 x 2160 - 8M
    Post edited by Visuimag on
  • ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385

The RED Crown said:

I think G8.1 or G8.2 is G9 Beta .

DAZ release G8.1 to collect result testing from customers for build G9 .

Visuimag said:

So realistic that looks unrealistic, that is why neither Pixar nor Sony Animation Studios does not make realistic animations, there will always be a denial from the public to accept that "it is"

• AsariAsari Posts: 703
    Visuimag said:

I've used resources bought from XYZ to create maps for G8. I never plugged my maps into Studio because I have no idea about Iray shaders. But I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Would the old Iray shader not support maps created with the help of XYZ assets?
  • PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

RobotHeadArt said:

Anyone else think this release hasn't gone as smoothly as others in the past? I know with G8 there were lots of PAs praising the new model and justifying the backwards compatability breaking changes, one PA was even bragging of crying tears of joy at their high sales of new G8 item.  G8.1 doesn't seem to have the same level of PA engagement and DAZ must have not given much advance notice to them since DAZ didn't even make it a full week before running out of G8.1 items to sell (today no new G8.1 items).

That might be because Genesis 8.1 is only an update and not a new figure. 

If ever Genesis 9 will come out, you will see all the expected many many products that launch with her.

• The RED Crown said:

I think G8.1 or G8.2 is G9 Beta .

DAZ release G8.1 to collect result testing from customers for build G9 .

8.1 is an update, two features that require chnages to the base (surface groups and expressions) plus some other stuff packaged together. I woudl imagine that any Genesis 9 will be a new figure, not a tweak.

• Victoria 8.1 is loaded very heavily. When you apply the characters prepared for Genesis 8 to V 8.1, much more realistic renderings emerge.
    Realism is ultimately about anatomy. Anatomy also depends on the number of polygons. As the number of polygons increases, the screams of our graphics cards increase.
    Ryzen 5 3600X with 6 core processor, 8 GB video card and 64 GB ram
    still not everything happens at the speed I want. I went through Poser program to DazStudio program. I still miss Poser. I used Poser for a very long time. Why is DazStudio taking a long time to install V8.1?

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited January 2021

Genesis 8.1

Gabriella 8 morph and HD (which looks just fine), Linday's Classic Wavy Hair (which works and looks fine), a pair of my smart prop earrings (which look and work fine), Chiffon Slip Dress for G8f (which looks and works fine). The expression is one of the Daz original expressions and this one at least, looks and works fine. The texture and shader is Vicky 8.1. Adjusted for lighting.

Gabbi 8.1 2a.jpg
    2507 x 2006 - 575K
    Post edited by AllenArt on

no eye contact...

• Siciliano1969Siciliano1969 Posts: 433
    edited January 2021

G8.1 with Stephanie 8 head morph...... HOT   Interesting effect....

Stephanie 8.JPG
    1679 x 1732 - 390K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817

surprise

• Ok so how do I delete the second post.... LOL

Siciliano1969 said:

Ok so how do I delete the second post.... LOL

1- ask a moderator

2- Or change image and text with other new text 

• Siciliano1969Siciliano1969 Posts: 433
    edited January 2021

Corin 8 is a bit better of an effect imho.....  

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Using the Lynna Hair For Genesis 8 Female.  I need to figure out what is going on with the noise the the strays of the hair.  

Corin head.JPG
    1680 x 1725 - 358K

Asari said:

Visuimag said:

-pic

I've used resources bought from XYZ to create maps for G8. I never plugged my maps into Studio because I have no idea about Iray shaders. But I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Would the old Iray shader not support maps created with the help of XYZ assets?

When you say you have no idea about Iray Shaders, do you mean you don't know where the maps go, you don't know where the Iray Uber shader is, or both? 

• ragamuffin57ragamuffin57 Posts: 132
    edited January 2021

Make of this what you will but over on ArtStation Herschel Hoffmeyer who has been a PA here posted this on his blog Mystique line is still coming and will release next month. However, after that, I will be taking a break from the Mystique line with the new 8.1 Gen 8 update. I may be doing a Mystique 3 line next year pushing the realism even further. I also have a feeling more Daz figure updates are coming soon so I'm going to wait and see how that pans out.

So I am with you Visuimag

I have posted elsewhere that as already mentioned Daz has to pull its finger out to bring its software or its content to a level to appeal to a greater and more professional audience which includes us

all the negative comments have been heard on every incarnation of  a new Genesis figure upgrade

How many people having a moan are happy to fork out for the lastest graphics card ££££  yet grumble that a few items amongst their content won't work

But tell me a hobby that does not cost ???

I have content that I have had  from V1 M1 days and posette from poser days

Yet here we all are looking at what Daz is offering us in  G 8.1

You find other software updating almost yearly or more often like substance painter yet I only see advancements, not problems just have to relook at how you work with the program after upgrades  which happens with all manner of things in real life

The old mental ray has  been replaced  in 2017  and now  Arnold seems the go-to renderer

Vray broke backwards compatibility I believe ( I have no hard evidence) but certainly it has improved a lot and most probably broke peoples workflow

Do we want to stay in the backwaters with poser or push forward with development?

The gripes I have is fresnel has been removed within the new pbr shader

But I am happy to forgo my old content to achieve  more realism

Yes some here are  more than happy with the manga style or stylised  characters that's fine  whatever floats your boat

But do we all here really want to have a software that all you can produce is renders that look doll-like, plastic, waxy characters ? Oh like Poser If you like that thing fine. But I for one want a more dynamic Daz updating the software a lot more frequently  and improving their genesis range on a more frequent basis than having an upgrade  after three years

Also more documentation

So from my rant do I like G 8.1 Yes I do looking forward to hopefully seeing this incarnation add more to its capabilities soft body. better bones maybe being able to use XYZ  and integrating  substance painter in bringing G8.1 to life  Daz can as it has some if not the best off the shelf characters that can be easily customised  by novice hobbyist or professional alike

My two pennies worth

Post edited by ragamuffin57 on