Daz Studio 4.16[.0.x] Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• Ivy said:

Imago said:

Robinson said:

4.15, "Preparations toward migration to a considerably newer version of the application framework" - I really like the sound of that.  Big job I know but not intractable.

I really hope this also means some bug fixes, especially for the animation tools. cool

Translations ~ Be prepared for Daz Studio to break more thing as they tell you its new and improved.  Adding that transferring content that works currently , that something, somewhere, in the studio app break it, so you will not e able to use said content without buying some upgrade morph set, shader's, plugin's,autofit-tool, auto-rigger's,graphic card, computer etc,etc etc.  Past experience has taught has that, but there is some good examples as reminders.

My Motto. "Hope for the best, but expect the worst, and back up everything just in case."wink

Daz is, by necessity, going to break plug-in in a forthcoming release to adderss compatibbility with Big Sur (and perhaps to lay the groundwork for other desired features, such as a scalable UI). However, the non-beta versions of DS have not broken plug-ins (that's since 4.5) and DS 3 did not break plug-ins during its run, nor did the later stages of DS 2 (barring the odd bug, which was fixed in every case). Content does not usually break, and if irt does (as with some shaders recently) the issue is fixed as soon as practical (sometimes Daz is hsotage to third parties, such as nVidia - as far as I know that is true of the current issue with volumetixcs and transparency).

• How do you install this application? There should be an answer on the FAQ, as there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. I'm sure if you already know how, it's easy -- but if you don't know how, it is not possible.

• DamianLloyd said:

How do you install this application? There should be an answer on the FAQ, as there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. I'm sure if you already know how, it's easy -- but if you don't know how, it is not possible.

Have you downloaded and isntalled daz Central, or Daz Install Manager? If you obtained DS by going to https://www.daz3d.com/dazcentral I think you should be guided through the steps (click the link to download, tell it which drive to use, and it will start).

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 745

Robinson said:

4.15, "Preparations toward migration to a considerably newer version of the application framework" - I really like the sound of that.  Big job I know but not intractable.

I found the move from Qt4 to Qt5 pretty much painless but from what I have seen written here Daz have a more difficult job because, apparently, DAZStudio plugins can use Qt sufficiently directly that a major version change could require changes to those plugins.  Qt released Qt6 on December 6 last year and that means they drop unpaid support for Qt5 so for those of us who do, or use, open source software that means moving to Qt6 to get long term support.  I don't know how things work for commercial licensees beyond the fact that they still get support for Qt5 and don't want to speculate on what Daz will do.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Richard Haseltine said:

Ivy said:

Imago said:

Robinson said:

I really hope this also means some bug fixes, especially for the animation tools. cool

Translations ~ Be prepared for Daz Studio to break more thing as they tell you its new and improved.  Adding that transferring content that works currently , that something, somewhere, in the studio app break it, so you will not e able to use said content without buying some upgrade morph set, shader's, plugin's,autofit-tool, auto-rigger's,graphic card, computer etc,etc etc.  Past experience has taught has that, but there is some good examples as reminders.

My Motto. "Hope for the best, but expect the worst, and back up everything just in case."wink

Daz is, by necessity, going to break plug-in in a forthcoming release to adderss compatibbility with Big Sur (and perhaps to lay the groundwork for other desired features, such as a scalable UI). However, the non-beta versions of DS have not broken plug-ins (that's since 4.5) and DS 3 did not break plug-ins during its run, nor did the later stages of DS 2 (barring the odd bug, which was fixed in every case). Content does not usually break, and if irt does (as with some shaders recently) the issue is fixed as soon as practical (sometimes Daz is hsotage to third parties, such as nVidia - as far as I know that is true of the current issue with volumetixcs and transparency).

Let's hope they give us permanent copies of the last version that is able to use the old plugins. A permanent copy of a working version ...

Sigh

• The RED CrownThe RED Crown Posts: 247
    edited February 2021

Why are you so concerned about the new framework.
    Use your a wallet you can fix anything .laughyes

There is nothing more important than what is in your wallet .

Post edited by The RED Crown on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,063

jbowler said:

Robinson said:

I found the move from Qt4 to Qt5 pretty much painless but from what I have seen written here Daz have a more difficult job because, apparently, DAZStudio plugins can use Qt sufficiently directly that a major version change could require changes to those plugins.  Qt released Qt6 on December 6 last year and that means they drop unpaid support for Qt5 so for those of us who do, or use, open source software that means moving to Qt6 to get long term support.  I don't know how things work for commercial licensees beyond the fact that they still get support for Qt5 and don't want to speculate on what Daz will do.

IIRC DS uses Qt3, not 4, so that means a big change.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,063

Kerya said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Ivy said:

Imago said:

Robinson said:

Let's hope they give us permanent copies of the last version that is able to use the old plugins. A permanent copy of a working version ...

Sigh

There's a good chance they'll do what they did for DS4: switch to a new major version of DS, and keep the previous version available in Product library. Especially since they know some plugins can't be updated.

• Where is the link to download 4.15  NOT DazConnect !! 

By having 4.14 and 4.15 if I have a problem easy enough to just go back to prior version without being hamstrug by some stupid content manager.

I want the program not another content manager I don't use.

• paul_ae567ab9 said:

Where is the link to download 4.15  NOT DazConnect !! 

By having 4.14 and 4.15 if I have a problem easy enough to just go back to prior version without being hamstrug by some stupid content manager.

I want the program not another content manager I don't use.

In the Product Library in your store account. Enter 4.x in the seach box and click Filter.

Or you can use DIM.

Leana said:

IIRC DS uses Qt3, not 4, so that means a big change.

IRC DAZStudio is linked against Qt4.8, at least when I break into it from Visual Studio one of the threads is inside QtCore4.dll, which is certainly part of Qt4.  Wikipedia documents the versions here.  The comments therein about Qt 4 going out of support "since 2015" refer to the open source support which is provided without payment.  The FSF mantra is that software is free, we pay for support; so Qt supports older versions for commercial licensees.

My general rule is that so long as I just use the UI, which, after all, is what Qt was originally designed to provide, major upgrades are easy for me.  I face work when I rely on non-UI functionality such as audio and multimedia handling.

• New version Daz Studio keeps crashing when rendering models and LAM models too!!!

need a patch fast and soon!!!

• commando991_70eecfd4fc said:

New version Daz Studio keeps crashing when rendering models and LAM models too!!!

need a patch fast and soon!!!

What is your GPU? What driver version are you using?

• Leo LeeLeo Lee Posts: 184

Where's the Lip Sync Pane?

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,916

Leo Lee said:

You can find it only in 32bit versions.

• Leo LeeLeo Lee Posts: 184

Imago said:

Leo Lee said:

You can find it only in 32bit versions.

Thank you, Imago! Now I got it.

And for anyone trying to use Lip Sync in 4.15 you can find the Configuration Files (Genesis3.dmc and Genesis8.dmc) in the folder General>Mimic Configs.

• How stable is 4.15.02 and does its iray still support the Maxwell Titan X?

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

The Defaults render settings button doesn't revert the render settings to default. I can create a new scene to do it if I've just gotten started on the scene.

DefaultRenderSettingsNotWorking.jpg
    521 x 713 - 78K

dawnblade said:

The Defaults render settings button doesn't revert the render settings to default. I can create a new scene to do it if I've just gotten started on the scene.

Go to the Scene tab, select the "Environment Options" and "Tonemapper Options" nodes and delete them.  While you are at it you might also want to delete the "Filament Draw Options" node, if it is there.

It would be incredibly annoying if that button did the same thing.

jbowler said:

dawnblade said:

Go to the Scene tab, select the "Environment Options" and "Tonemapper Options" nodes and delete them.  While you are at it you might also want to delete the "Filament Draw Options" node, if it is there.

It would be incredibly annoying if that button did the same thing.

Thank you @jbowler, that is a good workaround. I disagree and would be ok if the button did what you just described, because it would be doing what it is supposed to do. But I don't want to make this a point of contention. Thank you again for your workaround!

• Running DAZ Studio 4.15 Pro with Windows 10 64 Bit. GTX2080. Constant crashes when using Iray, I can work maybe 10 minutes and the program crashes and generates the bug report. Bad thing is, the link with the Crash splash points to the https://www.daz3d.com/dsportal/bugs, which doesn't exist. With 4.12-no problems at all.

So here what I get:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmii.inf_amd64_4ea4d8037d4ef09c\nvcuda64.dll" at 0033:0000000038BF8AA7

Not gonna post the full dump here.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,565

jari_e41bb06d70 said:

Running DAZ Studio 4.15 Pro with Windows 10 64 Bit. GTX2080. Constant crashes when using Iray, I can work maybe 10 minutes and the program crashes and generates the bug report. Bad thing is, the link with the Crash splash points to the https://www.daz3d.com/dsportal/bugs, which doesn't exist. With 4.12-no problems at all.

So here what I get:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmii.inf_amd64_4ea4d8037d4ef09c\nvcuda64.dll" at 0033:0000000038BF8AA7

Cannot help but noticing a trend...  "ACCESS_VIOLATION..." and "_amd64_"

Those tend to go together, which would make sense with all the complaints about "DAZ constantly crashing"

• PerttiA said:

jari_e41bb06d70 said:

Running DAZ Studio 4.15 Pro with Windows 10 64 Bit. GTX2080. Constant crashes when using Iray, I can work maybe 10 minutes and the program crashes and generates the bug report. Bad thing is, the link with the Crash splash points to the https://www.daz3d.com/dsportal/bugs, which doesn't exist. With 4.12-no problems at all.

So here what I get:

Those tend to go together, which would make sense with all the complaints about "DAZ constantly crashing"

Hmm? The standard 64 bit isntruction set is from AMD, regardless of whether the CPU is Intel or AMD, so I'm not sure what you are picking up here.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,565

Richard Haseltine said:

PerttiA said:

jari_e41bb06d70 said:

So here what I get:

Hmm? The standard 64 bit isntruction set is from AMD, regardless of whether the CPU is Intel or AMD, so I'm not sure what you are picking up here.

Ok, thought it would be linked, but anyways I don't have that folder on W7 Ultimate and every folder containing "_amd64_" is followed by "neutral_" 

• BootwinkBootwink Posts: 43

I don't know if anyone has noticed this, buy my Facial Expressions disapeard altogether where one of 2 places you could find them, another thing that has happened, In doing Medical illustrations, the male penis don't work at all just sits there.if it works I don't have any ideas to make it work, I'll have to do Illustrations the old fashion way. before any advancements on such technical items are bound to cross wires, this is very Sophicated stuff,

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224

Bootwink said:

I don't know if anyone has noticed this, buy my Facial Expressions disapeard altogether where one of 2 places you could find them, another thing that has happened, In doing Medical illustrations, the male penis don't work at all just sits there.if it works I don't have any ideas to make it work, I'll have to do Illustrations the old fashion way. before any advancements on such technical items are bound to cross wires, this is very Sophicated stuff,

Did you look in the Parameters pane for for the morphs? 

Screenshot 2021-03-02 195548.jpg
    573 x 604 - 86K
  • donchan1donchan1 Posts: 48
    edited March 2021

Download link pls.

Post edited by donchan1 on
  • donchan1 said:

Download link pls.

In the Product Library in your store account page. Enter 4.x in the filter box and hit Filter.

The issue of character load times - the time to add a new character to a scene or, indeed, the time to load a scene file with one or more characters in it - has been around for some time.  It's not specific to the the 4.15 release but it is present in this release.  It has been discussed multiple times in multiple places; it seems as though a new thread in "The Commons" or elsewhere gets started every couple of weeks and the issue is frequently raised on general threads.  Recently the discussion started anew on the Genesis 8.1 thread with this comment.

The issue is really simple; it takes me over 92 seconds to merge the "Genesis 8 Basic Female" into an empty scene if DAZ Studio can see all the content I've purchased, but if I hide most of that content the merge takes under 2.65 seconds.  As we buy more content the product actually slows down, and it slows down a lot; by a factor over over 34 in my case.

Explantions have been posted in multiple places, but they are rarely clear; users with a detailed knowledge of DAZStudio will explain it in terms that depend on knowledge of how a character actually works.  The work rounds are not obvious and the benefits not clear.  For me it became so annoying that I ended up figuring I had to work out what was going on in terms I could understand and then come up with something that would at least get back to the speed I had a year or so ago.  The work round I came up with gives me a time of about 20 seconds to insert a new character.

To get to this time I have divided my DAZ content installation into separate directories according to the type of the product.  New characters go in one installation directory, conversion scripts, character specific props, animations, wardrobe items, poses, expressions and general morphs each have their own root.  DAZStudio can see all of these as separate directories in the DAZStudio "Content Directory Manager", and DIM sees them as possibilities for the "Advanced Settings/Installation" pane "Content Path Shortcut".  Because I can de-select ("remove") individual directories from the DAZStudio Content Directory Manager I have been able to perform simple tests of the load time of a character and establish where the time goes; hard numbers rather than speculation about exactly what is going wrong.

These load time tests produced the following results; obviously they are specific to me but they show how different products affect the character load time:

CMS/DSON Core Conversions Props Animation Wardrobe Figures-in-use Poses Poses 8.1 Expressions Morphs Figures Non-G8 content NO CACHE NO CACHE ÷ Everything +CACHE +CACHE ÷ Everything Extra time over G8 core (seconds) SIZE SIZE ÷ G8 core +CACHE ÷ NO CACHE +CACHE ÷ SIZE (ns per byte)
    G8 core                     4.169 4.1% 2.649 2.9% 100% 23,344,247 6.7% 64% 113
    G8 ->Animations               4.161 4.0% 2.618 2.8% 99% 23,355,954 6.7% 63% 112
    G8 ->Props                 4.208 4.1% 2.622 2.8% 99% 23,350,794 6.7% 62% 112
    G8A +Poses 8.1           4.230 4.1% 2.678 2.9% 101% 23,721,052 6.8% 63% 113
    G8 ->Conversions                   4.159 4.0% 2.834 3.1% 107% 23,344,247 6.7% 68% 121
    G8A +Wardrobe             6.191 6.0% 3.028 3.3% 114% 25,156,870 7.2% 49% 120
    G8A +Poses           6.719 6.5% 3.482 3.8% 131% 25,683,560 7.3% 52% 136
    G8A +Expressions           6.993 6.8% 4.293 4.7% 162% 42,866,817 12.2% 61% 100
    G8A +Morphs           10.973 10.7% 6.658 7.2% 251% 42,866,817 12.2% 61% 155
    G8 select         12.618 12.3% 7.142 7.7% 270% 62,444,103 17.8% 57% 114
    G8 no figures       17.075 16.6% 10.919 11.8% 412% 84,652,830 24.2% 64% 129
    G8 figures-in-use     25.903 25.2% 19.910 21.6% 752% 118,300,912 33.8% 77% 168
    G8 All 100.807 98.1% 91.726 99.5% 3463% 350,263,611 100.0% 91% 262
    Everything 102.795   92.176   3480% 350,263,611   90% 263

Times are in seconds to load the "Genesis 8 Basic Female".  The basic time is in the "+CACHE" column, the "NO CACHE" column lists the time after the DSON cache directory is completely deleted and the "SIZE" column is the size, in bytes, of the Female8.cache.dsf file in the cache.  The left columns indicate what combination of products I made visible to DAZStudio before performing the timing test, I restarted DAZStudio before each test.  The column headers above the check marks should explain exactly what was in the CMS; the left column is a little cryptic.

What these tests show is that some products, animations, the various converter/script products and props (weapons etc) have next to no effect on character load time.  Products that morph the characters - poses, expressions and raw morph packages as well as, curiously, wardrobe items have a significant effect on load times, but the really big issue is characters.  My "figures-in-use" set has been dervied over the last month or so by starting with no figures visible ("G8 no figures" - no figures but everything else is visible) and adding figures as I opened scenes and encountered the "you need to install this product" dialog.

In fact I have a total of 636 G8 figure products (i.e. separate DIM packages) of which 78 are in my "Genesis 8/Figures in use" content directory.  So I have only one eighth of my purchased G8 figures visible in my standard content set ("G8 figures-in-use" above).

So my current approach is to accept a 7.5x slow down and I could reduce this to a 4.2x slow down (the "G8 no figures" row) by using a scene specific set of G8 figures - only the ones I actually use in that scene.

Most of the CMS changes I made have a relatively small effect on load time. The take-away here is that hiding individual character products and only making visible those that are actually used in the scene is a sure way o substantially improving scene load time.  Of course that really doesn't work in practice - it takes longer to set that up within DAZStudio that it takes to load the character or the scene, but it may make sense to have "character groups" or characters typically used together and it certainly makes sense for me to hide most - seven eighths - of the character products I own!

edited March 2021

@jbowler Awesome testing and documenting here! I can only hope that the developers use it to better DS load times substantially, so that customers don't have to go to these great lengths to load a character.

I'm not at my computer, but if you create a new scene and just add a character, and then save it as a subset? or sub-scene? (I don't remember the exact word but it's close), then create a new scene and load/merge the sub, is loading time improved?

Post edited by dawnblade on