Daz Studio 4.16[.0.x] Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• alofaroalofaro Posts: 12

A question that I hope nobody else has asked (tried to search, did not find it) - does anyone if there is (I think so) a limit to how many cores Daz Studio will use ?
       I have a computer with two processors multicore, plenty of RAM, and even a TITAN V card. Unfortunately, after some testing I realised Daz Studio was not using the Titan V for rendering, after months waiting the Daz Support just gave the general suggestion of updating the drivers to the latest ones and after a bit they closed the ticket. But I noticed that Daz seems not to be using all the cores that area available, it takes forever to do some stuff like cleaning a scene, but the load on the CPU is minimal.

• alofaro said:

A question that I hope nobody else has asked (tried to search, did not find it) - does anyone if there is (I think so) a limit to how many cores Daz Studio will use ?
       I have a computer with two processors multicore, plenty of RAM, and even a TITAN V card. Unfortunately, after some testing I realised Daz Studio was not using the Titan V for rendering, after months waiting the Daz Support just gave the general suggestion of updating the drivers to the latest ones and after a bit they closed the ticket. But I noticed that Daz seems not to be using all the cores that area available, it takes forever to do some stuff like cleaning a scene, but the load on the CPU is minimal.

Most of the things Daz Studio does are single-threaded, so can use only one core. Rendering and simulation do multi-thread, and will use all available cores (simulation requires an OpenCL driver for the CPU, however).

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 748

alofaro said:

Clearing the scene is traditionally a single-core operation; it's just the way computer programmers like me grew up (it doesn't have to be, but it always is).

Since you are clearing a scene you don't actually need to do that to continue working :-)  Deleting single items is relatively fast (most of the time), deleting everything is also fast (most of the time), but "clearing the scene" is interminably slow (not because it is single threaded, there seem to be other issues as well, lots of discussions in the beta thread and specific threads related to close down time).

So, work rounds:

1) Delete everything (^A in the scene tab, DAZ is embarassingly pane specific), DEL.  Now you have a clean scene and can start doing other stuff.
    2) The red X: hit the red X (well, white saltire on red field).  DAZStudio will disappear.  Now start a new instance; "dazstudio -instanceName #" (various ways to make this easy discussed elsewhere, including doing it before you hit the mighty X using a DAZ Productions script).  You don't even have to X it; running multiple instanes of DAZStudio at once is an enormous productivity boost.
    3) The mighty hammer of Wart; go to the Windows task manager, find the DAZ Studio Application [sic], right click, select End Task.  (Mac, probably ps and then kill -KILL, that's the solution I know.)  Now start DAZStudio; magic, a cleared scene ;-)

As for rendering; download a Windows or Mac add-in that will display GPU load and watch the various loads on rendering.  If there aren't any it isn't switched on (see the DAZStudio log file), otherwise it will most likely maxing on on somthing; the product I use displays the "PerfCap Reason" and it is almost always Thrm (heat) unless I have to take a rest break.

• 4jazzy14jazzy1 Posts: 17

I simply cant download this. my 4.14 version no longer works. I try to install through both DC and DIM. what I'm I doing wrong or not doing

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 5.01.37 PM.png
    1528 x 1358 - 554K
  • 4jacinta said:

I simply cant download this. my 4.14 version no longer works. I try to install through both DC and DIM. what I'm I doing wrong or not doing

What is your OS and version?

edited April 2021

catalina 10.15

Post edited by 4jazzy1 on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,030
    edited April 2021

You are posting correctly. I've asked a Mac user for his input, do please be patient.

You could in the meantime add the DIM log.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,625
    edited April 2021

Hi,

can you click on the action icon and show log, and copy the last 20 lines and post here?

screen.jpg
    241 x 260 - 41K
    Post edited by Totte on

it would be so great if there were how too videos. I create characters to print out, so I need the basics and for a while all was well, now heck has broken loose.. lol  i'm so lost

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 5.59.36 PM.png
    1486 x 1420 - 1M
  • edited April 2021

trashkollector said:

I installed 4.15 today and it already crashed 4 times in 1 hour.

The installation procedure has crashed a number of times for me. Not installed yet.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,581

I just installed 4.15.0.2 on a fresh box running Windows 10 Pro and have all my content on a USB 3 drive. When I look in the Content Library for G8F characters, it lists them all up to Ruby HD, but nothing past that.

The unlisted character files are there when I look in File Explorer. I've checked the drive for errors and it comes up clean. Also, the files show up in the Content Library when I connect the drive to another box running DS. 

If I rename "Ruby HD.duf" to "xRuby HD.duf" and refresh the Content Library, Ruby disappears from the list and Runa appears (the next installed character alphabetically). However, the missing characters at the end of the alphabet are still no-shows.

Anybody ever run into anything similar, or have any thoughts about what may be going on or how it might be fixed? Thanks in advance for any info/ideas!

- Greg

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,361
    Content Library breaks things into pages. There is a little page selector at the top.

Hmm . . . I do not see that in my UI, but do see what you're talking about in DS on another box. I'm also wondering if it may be a 4K/scaling thing. Thanks for bringing this up.

- Greg

After switching the display from 4K to 2K, the current page number with arrows on either side do in fact show up, along with the message saying "1 - x of y" and the buttons to increase the number of assets displayed per page.

Mystery solved - missing characters found! Thanks again for taking the time to post @Barbult.

- Greg

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,361

algovincian said:

Hmm . . . I do not see that in my UI, but do see what you're talking about in DS on another box. I'm also wondering if it may be a 4K/scaling thing. Thanks for bringing this up.

- Greg

This is what I see (4K monitor)

CL Page 1.jpg
    578 x 588 - 103K
    CL Page 2.jpg
    572 x 591 - 110K

I have my Content Library setup as an undockable pane viewing assets in what DS refers to as a List. As I mentioned when we were cross-posting, I did't see those UI elements, but they appeared when I switched to 2K.

I'm still wrestling with how I want to setup the display(s) for this new box. Mostly I'm just happy that it's not an issue with the drive itself or some weird problem with it when it's hooked up to this box.

Thanks again.

- Greg

• Anyone have a link to the 4.12 installer? I made the mistake of updating to 4.15 and now I can't use Iray at all, and it will likely be weeks or longer before I can manage to find a 3090. This update really needed a warning. I mean, the product page has 2060 recommended for 4.12+, but does not list a MINIMUM card, and my drivers are current (466.11). I have a GTX 1080 8GB, which worked fine with 4.12, but apparently isn't good enough for Iray past that.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,100

Suggestion: Conact DAZ personnel, and ask for the installer you want.

• scienceofspock_a627cb52d0 said:

Anyone have a link to the 4.12 installer? I made the mistake of updating to 4.15 and now I can't use Iray at all, and it will likely be weeks or longer before I can manage to find a 3090. This update really needed a warning. I mean, the product page has 2060 recommended for 4.12+, but does not list a MINIMUM card, and my drivers are current (466.11). I have a GTX 1080 8GB, which worked fine with 4.12, but apparently isn't good enough for Iray past that.

That card certainly should be working. Is it failing at start, or is it just really easily running out of memory? Can you render a simple sphere primitive (Create>New Primtiive) in an otherwise empty scene?

• Richard Haseltine said:

scienceofspock_a627cb52d0 said:

Anyone have a link to the 4.12 installer? I made the mistake of updating to 4.15 and now I can't use Iray at all, and it will likely be weeks or longer before I can manage to find a 3090. This update really needed a warning. I mean, the product page has 2060 recommended for 4.12+, but does not list a MINIMUM card, and my drivers are current (466.11). I have a GTX 1080 8GB, which worked fine with 4.12, but apparently isn't good enough for Iray past that.

That card certainly should be working. Is it failing at start, or is it just really easily running out of memory? Can you render a simple sphere primitive (Create>New Primtiive) in an otherwise empty scene?

Iray does not show up in render engines at all. I have Viewport, Multi-Pass OpenGL, 3Delight and Scripted 3Delight. My video card details are correct in Help -> Troubleshooting -> About your video card, so Daz sees the card, and my drivers are up to date as of about an hour ago.

• scienceofspock_a627cb52d0 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Iray does not show up in render engines at all. I have Viewport, Multi-Pass OpenGL, 3Delight and Scripted 3Delight. My video card details are correct in Help -> Troubleshooting -> About your video card, so Daz sees the card, and my drivers are up to date as of about an hour ago.

Are you running 32 or 64 bit DAZ Studio? Iray is 64 bit only.

• DoctorJellybean said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Are you running 32 or 64 bit DAZ Studio? Iray is 64 bit only.

Ok, I am an idiot. 

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    edited April 2021

JohnDelaquiox said:

How stable is 4.15.02 and does its iray still support the Maxwell Titan X?

I am also very interested in whether or not Maxwell GPUs (GTX 970, Titan X, Quadro M6000) are supported by 4.15, as that is what I have.

Post edited by Greymom on
  • Greymom said:

JohnDelaquiox said:

How stable is 4.15.02 and does its iray still support the Maxwell Titan X?

I am also very interested in whether or not Maxwell GPUs (GTX 970, Titan X, Quadro M6000) are supported by 4.15, as that is what I have.

See under General here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6200641/#Comment_6200641

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    edited April 2021

Thanks, Richard!

I take this note to mean "works but not recommended".

Anyone out there using DS 4.15.02 with any of these GPUs?  I would be very interested to hear your experiences.

angel  I recently picked up some TESLA M40's really cheap ($119 for the 12GB version!), and was hoping that a current version of DS/IRAY would be able to use them.  I still have a machine with 4.12.086 on it, so that is a fallback.  That will tide me over until some Ampere cards are available for a reasonable price.

Warning to those tempted by the bargain prices:  If your BIOS/MB does not support extended/Above 4K addressing, the M40's will not work.  Windows can't even see them without that enabled.  

Post edited by Greymom on
  • please holp data/daz 3d/genesis 8/female genitalia/genesis8femalegenitalia.dsf no fond thank you 

• As I keep seeming to get the run around, I have two questions in regards to the new software and Mac OS Big Sur that I would appreciate feedback on without being directed to the bootcamp work around.

1. Is there a firm date yet as to when this will be fixed rather than just saying mid 2021 or later. 

2. If i use the Boot Camp work around, will my Mac assets work with the Windows software? I have  close to 2 TB of Mac assets and if I have to reinstall everything, that will be a nightmare.

This is very inconvenient and frusatrating.

• EmpressKasumi said:

As I keep seeming to get the run around, I have two questions in regards to the new software and Mac OS Big Sur that I would appreciate feedback on without being directed to the bootcamp work around.

1. Is there a firm date yet as to when this will be fixed rather than just saying mid 2021 or later. 

No

2. If i use the Boot Camp work around, will my Mac assets work with the Windows software? I have  close to 2 TB of Mac assets and if I have to reinstall everything, that will be a nightmare.

Yes, as long as the content is accessible. However, the database used by the Content Management System is not cross platform as far as I know so things like Smart Content will not work; however, as long as you don't install through DS itself you can just reimport the metadata on the other OS.

• saharamdf said:

please holp data/daz 3d/genesis 8/female genitalia/genesis8femalegenitalia.dsf no fond thank you 

Sounds like it's not installed or not mapped if installed. What do you have installed?

• Richard Haseltine said:

EmpressKasumi said:

As I keep seeming to get the run around, I have two questions in regards to the new software and Mac OS Big Sur that I would appreciate feedback on without being directed to the bootcamp work around.

No

Yes, as long as the content is accessible. However, the database used by the Content Management System is not cross platform as far as I know so things like Smart Content will not work; however, as long as you don't install through DS itself you can just reimport the metadata on the other OS.

Thanks. Here's hoping it all works out.