Does hiding objects/figures that are not showing in the view pane when rendering

[Does hiding objects/figures that are not showing in the view pane when rendering] speed up rendering?  Does the renderer automatically ignore that which is not seen or must I hide each part myself?  :)

I've tried researching this, but can't find a definitive answer.

Thanks for any insight to this.

Edited for Please put your question in the post body and the title - Daz 3D Forums

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Hiding objects stops them from being sent to the renderer, anything that isn't hidden will be sent (even if it isn't in the field of view it may be reflected or cast shadows into view).

• Richard Haseltine said:

Hiding objects stops them from being sent to the renderer, anything that isn't hidden will be sent (even if it isn't in the field of view it may be reflected or cast shadows into view).

Thank you for providing this clear explanation.  I'll get used to thinking about hiding non-essential objects or pay the price in rendering time. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,152

You might want to consider purchasing Camera View Optimizer.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited January 2021

Any object, wether it is visible in the frame or not, will have some incidence on the lighting. Objects not hidden will be taken into account by the rays bouncing around on geometry. 
    If those objects are in the scene tab, but not visible, then they won't (obviously) be calculated at all at render time. This is true for iRay, Vray or any other rendering engine. 

In the same way,  if you pose your Genesis with clothes visible, then the smoothing and the calculation of deformations will slow down DAZ. If you pose your objects but hide everything linked to them, then clothes/accessories deformations won't be calculated (same as the render) and the posing will be much smoother.

Morality : always hide what you don't need to work faster ;)

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • I read somewhere that hiding things in the scene does vastly speed up render times (if a lot of stuff is hidden.) But it apparently does not save on vram usage? Is this true? Ideally I'd want objects I hide to not consume vram, but if they do consume vram I might need to save my scene, delete all hidden, save an alternate scene, then render?

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,228

clintok_ebecada709 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Hiding objects stops them from being sent to the renderer, anything that isn't hidden will be sent (even if it isn't in the field of view it may be reflected or cast shadows into view).

Thank you for providing this clear explanation.  I'll get used to thinking about hiding non-essential objects or pay the price in rendering time. 

Why not delete the non-essential items instead of hiding them if you can?  Or is there something I don't know about hiding vs. deleting?

• left1000left1000 Posts: 41
    edited February 2023

In my case I might want to hide things I want still want, like an indoor scene's floor/ceiling. Or I might want to hide the items in the background of camera position1 when rendering based on camera position2.

Unhiding something is very easy, it's one of the best features of daz3d. So understanding it's impact on vram is important.

edit: note to self, in a minor test where I deleted all hidden objects before doing a render vram usage did not change. However the scene didn't have a large number of hidden objects so I can't be certain.

Post edited by left1000 on