Sphere of Light & Dawn to Dusk Lighting 2 - Environment Lighting for DAZ Studio [Commercial]

Comments

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited September 2014

Thanks for the nid-bit about the save thing. so visible in renders vs cloths smoothing vs scene saves, lol. daz, daz, daz.

Well I got a scene loaded without the sky-dome (deleted it), and the haze worked... delete it, and load it again, and it still works, hmm. probably that save thing... Time to go visit DIM again. There I go, searching in dim for Dawn to Dusk, when I got Sphere of lights, lol. Time for some coffee.

There you are, now where are the skys, and where is my coffee, lol.
    (edit)
    the haze is not the kind of haze I thought it was, it apparently always worked.

SphOL_CLpath002.png
    1159 x 841 - 120K
    Clipboard01.png
    1222 x 695 - 181K
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    edited December 1969

Glad you're having fun with it. :-)

edited September 2014

a strange kind of fun, yes. I feel like Cameron Mitchell on that planet surrounded by busy Ja-fa. Can any one tell me where the star-gate is... any one... just point. lol. I jumped in with both feet, and am now looking for the "you are here" map, lol.

The ball thing in that Content library loaded something into the scene, and it is rendering now. I have no idea where the settings are yet, or what the default ones are for that load thing. I don't even know what is in the other folders yet, or what there for yet, lol.

The three sky-domes in the smart tab on the one screen-cap, is all I ever used in the past. Just click on things blindly, you'll fumble across stuff, that you'll never be able to find again, lol.

thus, it is time for bread-crumb trails.

edited September 2014

here are two quick tests, about 58 minutes and change for the full 3Delight one. Using the default ball thing in the content library.

The haze in Seascapes is apparently a sky covering only, not a sea-mist as I initially thought, lol. Now to fumble threw the other folders to see whats there.
    (edit)
    Well, the settings are in the Content Library paths, pretty much as labeled. Now to throw in some other stuff from other threads into this scene, if I can.

SphOL_CLpathAll001.png
    1566 x 584 - 204K
    SphOL_Test001fullRender1.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 692K
    SphOL_Test001ProgressRender1.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 748K
    edited December 1969

Uniform Light Direction?
    I'm guessing that is part of the Regular day settings that need not be touched when setting the time of day, or do these need to be used as well for something? possibly awkward alien lighting with a black part of the sky, a bright area, and a sun elsewhere?

Can I set up two or more suns?

SphOL_CLpathUniformLights001.png
    1423 x 497 - 134K
  • InaneGloryInaneGlory Posts: 294
    edited December 1969

Uniform Light Direction?
    I'm guessing that is part of the Regular day settings that need not be touched when setting the time of day, or do these need to be used as well for something? possibly awkward alien lighting with a black part of the sky, a bright area, and a sun elsewhere?

Can I set up two or more suns?

Fist lets establish some directions. When you default load Genesis lets assume she(he) is facing south, to her left is east, west is right and behind is north.
    The From Dawn to Dusk presets take you hour by hour though a day but while that is happening the sun doesn't just rise and then set, it moves across the sky directionally as well as vertically. At dawn the Sun is rising to the north-east, by 9:00am it's directly east, by noon it's above and somewhat south and eventually the sun sets to the north-west.

The Uniform Light Direction set use the same skies but the position of the sun fixed so the sun rises in the south-east, climbs up the sky and then falls back down again to set in the south-east again. If yoo look closely at the thumbs they try to show you where the sun is in the scene.

More than one sun? No, maybe if I do another set but what you see is pretty much what you get in this set.

edited December 1969

Here's a direct comparison between the two light sets. Scene used is exactly the same in each picture. Only difference is the light set. Buildings are Tin Pan Alley in an unmodified, default DS load and each light set uses the same matching light preset. Gamma is set to 2.2 with gamma correction ON. Both light sets use the corresponding 8:00am preset rotated -95° so the light is coming down the alleyway.

1st picture is Dawn to Dusk. Only change from default is quality is bumped up using the original 4XHi quality preset. Render time was just over 10 minutes.

2nd picture is Sphere of Light. No changes from default. Render time: just under 30 minutes

Test24-4SL.png
    1200 x 1200 - 3M
    Test24-4UE2.png
    1200 x 1200 - 3M
  • mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Here's a direct comparison between the two light sets. Scene used is exactly the same in each picture. Only difference is the light set. Buildings are Tin Pan Alley in an unmodified, default DS load and each light set uses the same matching light preset. Gamma is set to 2.2 with gamma correction ON. Both light sets use the corresponding 8:00am preset rotated -95° so the light is coming down the alleyway.

1st picture is Dawn to Dusk. Only change from default is quality is bumped up using the original 4XHi quality preset. Render time was just over 10 minutes.

2nd picture is Sphere of Light. No changes from default. Render time: just under 30 minutes

If you compare the shadow cast by the model in your gamma 2.2 rennders, the Dawn to Dusk lighting is giving a fainter shadow, more like what you would expect from hazy sunlight. The default intensities for the Sun of 50% and UE2 50% probably work well at gamma 1.0, but at gamma 2.2 I think you need to turn down UE2 and turn up the Sun. I used 70% for the Sun and 30% for UE2. I tried 50/50, 60/40 and 80/20 as well, but decided 70/30 seemed to give the best result.

edited September 2014

Thanks InaneGlory and mark128 for the info. Slowly fumbling threw this here, as I'm get distracted with trying to find other things that I know DIM installed, lol.

As for the sky, I think I for got something, or clicked things in the wrong order. I selected the red overcast sky, then I clicked the 11am light preset. The clouds don't look the same, infarct there is no clouds, What did I break now, lol.

Do I need to select the time of day first, then the "Other Skies" for that to work? Or is that what mark128 was referring to not being visible?
    (edit)
    Nope, there all on in the visible stuff, except the "Bones" one.
    (Edit2)
    Never mind, looking down to much for them to show.

SphOL_test02009ScrnCap2.png
    932 x 695 - 387K
    SphOL_test02009cam1_001.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    edited September 2014

wow, 36% in one hour. Same scene as above, slightly different angle. "O" not a progressive Render this time.

I just got that Dawn to Dusk Lighting 2, tho at this rate, it will be a while before I can install it, lol.

edited December 1969

Very Late Morning.
    6.2GB DazStudio alone, 2h 33m 14s. Now I can install Dawn to Dusk Lighting 2, and try that on this scene, lol.

SphOL_test02009cam2_001.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Dawn to Dusk, 101. hmm, from my complete lack of knowing anything, lol.

It looks like it is no different to get D2D2 up and running, then it is for Sphere of Light. The icons even look the same. So to start, where is it? Right here in the Content library.

D2D2? yes, it is a 'dee' not an 'are', lol

DtoD2_CLpath002.png
    1119 x 592 - 215K
    edited December 1969

Two fumbles in about two seconds.

The cloud settings load there own lights, so you can't select the dawn clouds, and use the 11am lights without major trickery I don't know how to use. Hence the two copies of DtD2 loaded in the scene tab of my attached screen-cap.

Also This is what mark128 was referring to, DtD2 has invisible sky by default thanks to a fluke in daz studio. "O" know my sky isn't showing, just turn it on in the "Parameters" tab after selecting the "EnvironmentSphere" in the scene tab. Thanks mark128 for the heads up on this.

DtD2_ShowInRender101lbl1b.png
    1133 x 864 - 304K
    edited September 2014

I fumbled onto a falling sky, lol. Dont panic if this happens, mark128 knows how to keep the sky from falling threw the ground.

The parameters tab dose not show the scaling thing by default, I need tt poke around to find what mark128 scaled up to something-thousand-percent.
    (Edit) got it... Or I didn't Get it, lol.
    For seascapes, about 2800% makes the sky about the correct size.
    (Edit 2)
    Just follow DestinysGarden's advice. Ignore the Uber size vs brightness thing, it dose not apply here

DtD2_hmmm001The_Sky_Fell_Down.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 1M
  • DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    edited September 2014

Hey ZDG, you're overthinking it. With the Dawn to Dusk set, each of the presets loads a UE2 skydome with its own light in a set position relative to the horizon. If you have one of the domes in the scene and you click another one of the presets, you are loading a second dome into the scene.
    You can scale the dome without jumping through hoops, just make sure that you have the correct thing selected in the scene tab. the Y Rotate slider is your friend and the easiest way to change which direction the light is coming from.

Edit: tip number 2, if you are just doing test renders to get a feel for the light, I suggest turning off your highly reflective and raytraced water prop as you are adding render time you don't need while testing. When you get the light how you want it, then turn the water back on.

DtD2forumpic.jpg
    1603 x 900 - 413K
    Post edited by DestinysGarden on
    edited December 1969

In my excitement, I didn't think of resizing the light at first. I was just preoccupied with making that black thing in the ground, bigger, and not finding a scale slider anywhere, lol. By the time I got back to looking at the scene tab to see if I missed something obvious, I had remembered what Szark said about making Uber Lights bigger, and how they get dimmer as a result.

As for the render times, well I didn't think of the water, just the high-poly alien foliage. And for the past few hours I've been fussing with render settings. battling grainy shadows, and the sorts. I must have cancelled the render a dozen times now, after it got past the water, lol.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

How fast do these sets render especially the UberEnvironment ones?

edited September 2014

Subjectively, The sky almost instantly shows, it takes almost an hour to get past the plants and water, and get down to the tube hotel things, then it goes really quick. in my test.

This Sea Scapes set has been like that with the surfer-guy tutorial lights as well. No foliage, quick render. Lots of plants, it takes bloody ages just watching squares appear.
    http://www.daz3d.com/sea-scapes

It is not the most friendly of sets in regard to render-time, tho it is very fun to play and have breakfast there, lol

I think this render took around two hours on the same island. Water, tones of reflections, and translucent surfaces. Not Sphere of Light or Dawn to Dusk Lighting 2.
    (Edit)
    "O" that is all out 3delight render. "Progressive Rendering" is considerably faster. 1600x1200 in about 28 minutes or less.

AlienGuarden01019cam3_001.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited September 2014

On that note, I missed the time on this one. All stock settings for the lights 11am, except the size of the skydome.
    Now I just need to remember what setting in the Uber thing makes that splotchy-shadow go away.
    (edit)
    looks like that "Occlusion Samples" up to 128, and shading rate dropped in half, in the light settings did allot to fix this.

SphOL_test02DtD2_002cam2_004.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,333
    edited December 1969

I used one of AoA fog cameras for this image came out interestingly.

Aliennlandscape2.jpg
    1500 x 1060 - 556K
  • mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

dkgoose said:
    How fast do these sets render especially the UberEnvironment ones?

I rendered the same scene with both light sets. It is back on page 2. Render time with UberEnvironment based Dawn to Dusk using the 4XHI quality preset was about 20 minutes, which is very reasonable. The Dawn to Dusk light set uses a distant light for the sun and UberEnvironment to provide environment or ambient light. There is no need to push the quality settings higher than the 4XHI preset when you are using UberEnvironment this way.

The Sphere of Light set is much slower. I think it was about 3 hours on the highest quality setting, which may be overkill.

edited September 2014

scorpio64dragon, nice render, I like the little lizard, lol.

Here we go, just one case of lizard skin to solve. Scene 6.2GB Ram, render time 32minutes 42seconds.
    Dawn to Dusk Lighting 2, de-facto "11am" settings. except the Occlusion Samples and the Shading Rate.

LightTest5_settings002.png
    406 x 474 - 21K
    SphOL_test02DtD2_005cam2_002.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
  • DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

Ok, thanks, I bought sphere of light, I have yet to install it,though, and debating on getting dawn to dusk

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

I need a little bit of help, I have a scene with a window, I need to get the light to shine through that window. How can I tell where the main light is coming from in the open gl preview.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I had remembered what Szark said about making Uber Lights bigger, and how they get dimmer as a result.

I don't think with the light sphere being that big will make much of a difference when rescaling it a little.

edited December 1969

I need a little bit of help, I have a scene with a window, I need to get the light to shine through that window. How can I tell where the main light is coming from in the open gl preview.

Using the Sphere of Light or Dawn to Dusk 2?

edited December 1969

Sphere of Light

edited December 1969

Sphere of Light

Option 1: The easiest, surest was is to use the perspective camera (or create a new camera) at put it where you want the light to be shining (on the floor, wall, bed etc.) Now rotate the camera till it is looking out the window. Now your where you want your light to be, looking out where you want the light to come into the room from. Then rotate the Sphere till you see the Sun out the window.

Option 2: Select the Joint Editor Tool. This will turn on the bone view in the preview window. Now when you select the Sphere it will show you the bone that points directly to the Sun in any scene. Rotate the Sphere till the bone is pointing out the window. This might not be the easiest thing to do as the bone is really really big and it can be hard to visualize it's position in 3 dimensions on a 2d preview window.

edited September 2014

My scenarists apologies about my horrid renders earlier. I inadvertently typed 0.24 instead of 0.25 into the Shading Rate setting.

DtD2 with corrected render setting.
    (Edit)
    Fixed the doughnut boxes, lol. 58minuts 8seconds.

SphOL_test02DtD2_008cam6_001.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited December 1969

The light comes from the sphere and points directly on the ground, correct?