Octane Render for Carrara (OR4C) Public Beta now released..

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Really excellent work Rashad. When the Octane plugin is out of beta, they should buy a couple of those images from you, so that they can use them as promo pictures.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Really excellent work Rashad. When the Octane plugin is out of beta, they should buy a couple of those images from you, so that they can use them as promo pictures.

That would make me very happy. Hopefully they will use them. I'm still trying to figure out how to build a haze field that thickens naturally with distance and altitude. I'm making some progress. Once the scenes have some "air" in them I think they will look a lot more natural. Thanks once again for your positive feedback!

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Rashad... Wow!!

Awesome renders!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,944
    edited December 1969

OMG Rashad those are awesome indeed!

I did solve my problem
    under emission there is temperature which I can set according to the light used, just need to take note of values in DAZ plugin for incandescent, Fluoro , etc lights and use those.
    I have saved a few presets I use such as light bulb, candle flame etc

edited December 1969

While I have no problem getting a red or a yellow color by varying the emission, I couldn't find any way to make a blue light color. Just thought I would throw that out there, even though it's a slight tangent to the discussion, because I'm curious how it would be done.

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited December 1969

One more round to go.

Very delicious works Rashad...thanks for showing the possibilities... So enticing... I need to keep reminding myself I'm here to check on development on dynamic hair support... But the plants are waving at me...

Daz3D needs to know: some people are attracted to Carrara just for the most stable Octane plugin in the DS-Carrara-Poser zone. Make it easy for plugins producers to translate dynamic hair please please please.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,140
    edited December 1969

That would make me very happy. Hopefully they will use them. I'm still trying to figure out how to build a haze field that thickens naturally with distance and altitude. I'm making some progress. Once the scenes have some "air" in them I think they will look a lot more natural. Thanks once again for your positive feedback!

One way to do this would be to render a depth pass in either Carrara or Octane and use this in Photoshop to add the haze.

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    While I have no problem getting a red or a yellow color by varying the emission, I couldn't find any way to make a blue light color. Just thought I would throw that out there, even though it's a slight tangent to the discussion, because I'm curious how it would be done.

You should be able to get blue light by using a color temperature value of 7000 or greater - the higher, the bluer. There is a useful chart in this article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

outstanding work Rashad, photo-like quality, can't wait to see a clip with sound effects

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Sighman,

Have you and Sperical Labs (the person developing LuxCore for Carrara) had any dialogue about shaders which are flagged for your given plug-ins? The answer matters a great deal for a couple of reasons.

For one thing, I am curious if I were to share a scene that used Carrara shaders as well as Octane shaders with a person who did not own the Octane Plug-in, would it corrupt the file for them when they open it? I suspect that it would, which concerns me.

Another example, if by some chance a person who uses LuxCore for Carrara were to send me a scene to play with that included LuxCore materials, would it corrupt the file when I open it on my machine as a non-owner of the LuxCore plug-in?

What if by chance I happen to own both Octane Render for Carrara and LuxCore for Carrara on the same computer. What seems very good about both of these plug-ins so far is that they both allow you to add the plug-in related shaders in addition to the Carrara shaders. Fantastic. So would I end up with three nodes then, one for Carrara shaders, one for Octane shaders, and another for LuxCore shaders?

If I were to develop a new product and if I wanted to provide presets for users to render the content in the two unbiased plug-ins, would I need two distinct versions, one with materials for Octane and the other with materials for LuxCore?

I really don't like the idea of needing to release multiple iterations of the same content simply because of shader issues.

In theory, one should be able to use these integrated plug-ins as an accurate means for directly comparing the two unbiased rendering engines. Set up the scene, render it in Carrara native and in Octane and in LuxCore for a three way comparison. I feel users should be able to switch between rendering engines or even to render in both plug-ins simultaneously.

Please let me know your thoughts. I am thinking that the considerations of both of the unbiased engines would be similar, maybe there could be some cross over so that certain settings in unbiased are translated to either application?

As you can see my brain is spinning a mile a minute. Thanks for any feedback you can provide on the subject.

• skydatskydat Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Dang it, too soon, too soon!! :) I know that's a weird complaint, but I had in my mind's eye that this would still be about 6 months out, and was mentally preparing to save up the scratch to get it. I do have $500, but I'm not sure I can claim I have $500 to spare, and certainly I haven't mentally worked myself up to be ready to spend on this yet... arrgh, I'm torn...

Seems like I always choose wrong. Back when I first learned about unbiased rendering, I couldn't bear the thought of waiting 400 hours to render in Lux, and didn't have a computer that could render with Octane, so I went with Thea (I think it was around $400+ that I ended up shelling out). I *love* Thea, it's an amazing renderer, and the latest version of it is blazing fast with it's GPU + CPU combined renderer... but there's no Carrara plugin for it, and who knows if there ever will be?

After picking up Luxus for Carrara, and could compare 2 different unbiased render engines to each other and get a feel for how it would intersect my workflow. I prefer Thea over Lux, as I'm able to get much better results (probably a function of the fact I'm now very well versed with Thea's materials, and haven't delved too deeply into Lux) and Thea renders much faster of course, BUT I can say that one point Luxus has going for it is that it is much much easier to get my Carrara scene into Lux to render (really it's a matter of setting up a library of shaders for Luxus materials in Carrara, applying them, and then with a click of a button I'm rendering in Lux). My only workflow for Thea is to export my scene as a .obj from carrara, import into Thea, then take the time to edit all my shaders. I do have a substantial library of good Thea shaders already ready to go, so this isn't as time consuming as it sounds, but it's still a pain.

So now Octane... which on the face of it would solve both problems, no more exporting/importing to get it into an unbiased renderer, and the render speed is fast and as far as I can tell the render quality is superb. Plus I now have a laptop that can run Octane, which is something I didn't have before (only 2G but still from my experiments in Thea 2G is plenty to do the type of scenes I tend to do).

But $500... I was ready to spend this, for sure... eventually... just not sure if I can spend it more immediately. I'll probably work some OT over the next 2 weeks so I have the extra money to pick this up though, I can't wait to play :)

Something else to think about though; luxcore (the new engine for Luxrender) and its connector is already available for Blender and it's free. Spheric is working on one for Carrara which you no doubt already know about, and there's sure to be an update for Daz as well. Therefore you can use a single renderer across 3 packages for consistent results. Also expect Luxcore to get much faster. AMD and Nvidia have only recently started taking OpenCL seriously and have updated newer drivers. Luxcore is being developed to take these new features into account.

So maybe for $80 you can use Luxcore across Blender, Carrara and Daz. Another advantage for me is that I dont' have to buy an Nvidia card. Nvidia is currently being sued under a class action lawsuit for miss-selling some of their Cards as 4GB when in fact they are not. My past experience with Nvidia left with me with paying a premium price for what amounted to 3 melted cards.

I noticed Nvidia have suddenly withdawn their 6GB cards from the consumer/gamer segment. This means for GPU rendering you need to buy their over-priced workstation range ($1000 upwards). Test have shown that these workstation cards often don't perform much better than the gaming cards, except they have more memory. You in effect end up paying a huge premium just to a few more GB for VRAM.

AMD are selling the 290 range with 8GB on board. You can get 2 of these for the price on *one* Nvidia Titan (4GB)! With GPU rendering becoming more mainstream on-board VRAM is becoming an issue. I simply can't see it being worthwhile shelling out serious dollar for a 4GB? Nvidia card. xTwo 290s are considerably faster than one Titan, plus you get an extra 4GB. I wish Octane would support AMD but they don't, moreover I don't want to buy Octane for three products.

• Akulla3DAkulla3D Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

I have been loving Octane on my Windows NVIDIA machine. I am thinking about moving to the new Macbook, does anyone here use a Macbook or mackbook pro with octane and carrara. Just wondering how it works.

Thanks.

edited December 1969

Its about time this thread was revived IMO
    I have posted it in two other Carrara threads and on Otoy forum so hope not considered spamming.
    Using Anything Grows by DCG I can get fur with gravity that renders in OR4C albeit rather slow to compile.
    Head hair I am still working on, am new to the plugin but here is a genesis furry

index-1.gif
    270 x 450 - 8M
    edited May 2015

my billboard plants might render quickly but they look meh

I have some carrara trees here and there but too many and it will just crash my nVidia driver
    making them vertex objects proved pretty impossible as most over a GB each as an obj export and while DAZ studio loaded them decimator crashed it, carrara decimation in vertex room errored too

teagarden0018.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    teagarden0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited May 2015

ok trying poly-reduced meshes now, adding up fast though, this is only some of the shrubs and pushing it
    renders fast though

zoom0002.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    shrubs0011.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    edited December 1969

Wendy, great results!

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Wendy, great results!

thx a work in progress not happy with yet but shows doable
    https://www.facebook.com/wendy5/videos/10206099966372185/?l=3213752506240498237
    the rendered out video, only 3 samples a frame but took 18 hours for 2880 frames
    would do better sampling rate if get one I am happy with, lots of textures to fix and more plants to add.
  • MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited December 1969

OMG fellow Carrarists... big breakthrough in this space...

Sighman did it! Carrara dynamic hair is now working with OR4C!!!
    http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=47064&p=235892#p235892

It's great timing for me personally. I was just mulling maybe I should go back to Carrara native render workflow because I have just started the journey on Carrara dynamic hair and really liking it.

It's a new WIP preview version (2.2.3.0072). I've just installed it to my latest semi-stable 8.5.1.19. Fingers crossed...

Yeeepeeee....

edited December 1969

Oh cool bannanas, will try too later <3</p>

edited December 1969

So excited by this - still early days but it is a real step forwards!

Gorilla.jpg
    800 x 450 - 84K
    DarkPaigeHair.jpg
    640 x 480 - 88K
    edited May 2015

Oh yeah

cat0006.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    cat0037.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    edited December 1969

Does it animate?

edited December 1969

It uses the representation of Carrara Hair in the viewport, so anything that can happen in the viewport can happen with the hair in Octane - so it animates as well as Carrara Hair does. So yes it can be animated, with reservations about using lo-res proxies etc that have been covered elsewhere. It is still being developed at the moment but it is a major breakthrough that Sighman has been able to access the hair data at all and pass it through to Octane.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    It uses the representation of Carrara Hair in the viewport, so anything that can happen in the viewport can happen with the hair in Octane - so it animates as well as Carrara Hair does. So yes it can be animated, with reservations about using lo-res proxies etc that have been covered elsewhere. It is still being developed at the moment but it is a major breakthrough that Sighman has been able to access the hair data at all and pass it through to Octane.

I agree. It sounds very cool. I read the thread that was linked to, and gathered it used the Assembly Room generated hairs, but I wasn't sure how well they followed the guides/animated as I always turn that option off.

edited December 1969

A couple of better tests of Carrara Hair in Octane - very excited about this!

DarkPaigeHairLong2.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 443K
    DarkPaigeHairLong.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 412K
    edited December 1969

I am rendering that cat as an animation right now, those two frames were both part of a long png sequence
    I of course get the same crazy hair behaviour as always just renders quicker and unbiased :lol: like tbe cloth or anything else.

edited December 1969

Lovely renders Phil!

edited December 1969

Wow, this really is a giant step forward! Carrara hair now in Octane! I realize there are some limitations, but truly excellent work by Sighman to make this happen. :)

edited December 1969

https://youtu.be/_icBdGNG6Hg the hair looks great but my sims no better

edited December 1969

https://youtu.be/_icBdGNG6Hg the hair looks great but my sims no better

That looks strangely impressive! Do you have any settings that are changing that may be causing the ripple effect in the fur? If you haven't done a simulation, you shouldn't be getting those weird effects. I have found Frizz to be an offender, and clump needs to be in Local space I think.