Genesis 3 & 8 Face Controls

12346»

Comments

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    Faux2D said:
    j cade said:

However, used completely in isolation it is operating at the base res so for things like smiles where in the real world we get all sorts of creases and crinkles its not going to capture that like an hd morph.

I will be releasing an add-on with corrective morhs + HD morphs. Here is a sample. Normal results on the left and on the right same pose but with corrective morphs.

Really looking forward to this! 

• I think this is one of the best smiles I've ever been able to create on a 3D figure. I really like how these controls work.

• I don't know if it will help anyone or not, but I did a tutorial on using the Face Controls on overly stylized characters with screenshots over on my Lab thread. It shows the steps I need to take to set up Face Control to work with characters with oddly shaped or over-sized heads. Hopefully, someone can get some use out of it.

Using Genesis 3 & 8 Face Controls on Stylized Characters with Bigger Heads

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,952
    Faux2D said:
    j cade said:

However, used completely in isolation it is operating at the base res so for things like smiles where in the real world we get all sorts of creases and crinkles its not going to capture that like an hd morph.

I will be releasing an add-on with corrective morhs + HD morphs. Here is a sample. Normal results on the left and on the right same pose but with corrective morphs.

Oh well it's mine when it comes out .......!!

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Appologies if someone else already posted a link to this video, but I thought it might be useful to some.  

• I don't know if it will help anyone or not, but I did a tutorial on using the Face Controls on overly stylized characters with screenshots over on my Lab thread. It shows the steps I need to take to set up Face Control to work with characters with oddly shaped or over-sized heads. Hopefully, someone can get some use out of it.

This helped me. I was bumped when I first tried this and it did not work with my characters. It's working now. 

• Mr Scot said:

I don't know if it will help anyone or not, but I did a tutorial on using the Face Controls on overly stylized characters with screenshots over on my Lab thread. It shows the steps I need to take to set up Face Control to work with characters with oddly shaped or over-sized heads. Hopefully, someone can get some use out of it.

This helped me. I was bumped when I first tried this and it did not work with my characters. It's working now. 

I'm glad it could help!

• endlesslovingendlessloving Posts: 71
    edited February 2021

plasma_ring said:

I can honestly not tell what this (pricey!) product is supposed to do.

I really wish they'd put the videos up on the product description, but it works very much like the videos @Artini linked above, with similar flexibility/range of motion. They include an an example animation timeline with speaking animations that are much closer to traditional animation than those shown in the Anilip example video, for instance, because the face can move so much. If you've ever paused a Pixar or DreamWorks movie and landed on a frame where the character looks like they've just seen Cthulhu even though the scene is just them talking normally, that's what you get if you scrub along the timeline this comes with.

It's useful to me for posing because my characters are semi-stylized and I'm interested in tweaking expressions to be more...well, expressive. laugh But it seems to really be intended for animators so they can either do really dynamic face motions or get realistic results from mocap data using Daz characters. I will never be able to afford to try the program this is integrated with officially, but I'm kind of curious about using this along with Anilip to adjust the expressions and make them more stylized. 

I'm at work right now but if there are any example things I can do that would help people I can give it a shot! 

Interesting thoughts! 
    Does this system allow to have more refined facial expressions that are not possible to achieve with PowerPose and Dials ?

EDIT: After watching some videos, I can see why this tool is quite nice for even just creating facial expressions. It's a more intuitive way top work and can easily be used to go beyond the normal limits to create strong or even extreme expressions. 

Post edited by endlessloving on
  • FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

there doesn't seem to be an easy way to clear a facial pose once you use this tool. How do you clear a pose? 

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 766

Does it absolutely need 4.15 or later to work?

I'm trying to use it in 4.11 and it does not work. So I'm wondering whether it's because I'm not using 4.15.

• Good question is can Face Controls expression be saved and used as morph or a pose preset separately on other characters without FC rig, and is there a way somehow to export FC expression to blender? Big thanks

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

MILAN.3BG said:

Good question is can Face Controls expression be saved and used as morph or a pose preset separately on other characters without FC rig, and is there a way somehow to export FC expression to blender? Big thanks

I don't think so with the external FACS control rig as included in MetaMixer product that works with Genesis 3 / Genesis 8 / Genesis 8.1 but I may be wrong. With FACS based expressions integrated directly into Genesis 9 however, those can be.