Genesis 3 & 8 Face Controls

Comments

• Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452
    AllenArt said:

Hmm...maybe I'm missing something, but the expressions still seem pretty "wooden" and how is it different than PowerPose?

Laurie

This means that it'd be trivial to write a script for Daz to drive these facial expression morphs from any FACS based capture tool. I think both Faceware and the iPhone X are such.

The product comes with a Dynamixyz to Daz pipeline which is similar to what you describe. Once the facial control rig is properly built all that matters is the quality of the motion capture data. I looked into all facial mocap solutions and the one that gives the second best results is Dynamixyz. The best results come from Masquerade which is still not commercially available. Dynamixyz has a ridiculous pricetag but they do offer a month free trial. You also need Maya unfortunately because that's the way Dynamixyz decided to do things.

• I do want to say now that I got over the setup hurdles of this I do see the value in this. There's still some rough spots:

• I wish the buttons themselves did not move, I'm guessing that's not possible, however it leads to the next issues
    • The buttons that are close together like the upper/middle/lower buttons for the different parts of the lips. They're too close together and it's easy to move them over each other (e.g. move the lower segment over the middle segment). And it's hard to switch between the different buttons, e.g. I adjust the lower lip segment and now I want to adjust the upper lip segment. The overlays are so close together along with the universal tool overlay that I have to click on some other button far away like one of the eyelids so the upper lip segment button is visible enough that I can click on it w/o Daz registering it as me trying to move the lower lip segment.
    • It would probably be best if it loaded parented to the head so you get the same over the face location no matter how you pose figure. I would have never figured that out unless you had said something as based on the way it loaded and was parented to the figure I figured this was a conforming object and thus changing the parent wouldn't have affected anything.
    • I would also turn the "visible in render" to "Off" under "Display". Partially because inexperienced users will not know how to turn that off by (I saw that with a friend of mine), and I also found that I kept switching back and forth between the main desktop and an iray preview window to see how the facial feature actually looked as the overlay tends to obscure the face quite a bit.

I do want to say this is a really great first attempt and amazing that you got this into Daz at all. I'm sure over time it will be more polished smiley

• Faux2D said:
    AllenArt said:

Hmm...maybe I'm missing something, but the expressions still seem pretty "wooden" and how is it different than PowerPose?

Laurie

This means that it'd be trivial to write a script for Daz to drive these facial expression morphs from any FACS based capture tool. I think both Faceware and the iPhone X are such.

The product comes with a Dynamixyz to Daz pipeline which is similar to what you describe. Once the facial control rig is properly built all that matters is the quality of the motion capture data. I looked into all facial mocap solutions and the one that gives the second best results is Dynamixyz. The best results come from Masquerade which is still not commercially available. Dynamixyz has a ridiculous pricetag but they do offer a month free trial. You also need Maya unfortunately because that's the way Dynamixyz decided to do things.

@Faux2D awesome.

Are all the sliders accessible from Daz Script or the SDK?

• rmrf2003rmrf2003 Posts: 23
    edited November 2020

I made a short test 10 minutes: this product just add a graphical interface to manipulate head bones

Pro:

- very easy to create head expressions and fast

- this product could be very nice if .... (read cons)

Cons:

- the graphical interface does not follow head position. To use it with the mouse and red signs YOU NEED TO BE IN ZERO POSE ! For me its a no go !!!

- no fly over text to tell to which bone signs are associated when we click with universal tool

- I got a crash while manipulating the tongue

THE NO GO for this product is because YOU MUST WORK IN ZERO POSE for body and head !!!!! if you need to change something later for the expression you cant use Face Controls. Because they are away from the head or worse inside the head. So you can see them.

It seems also if you are not in zero pose, if you move the red signs head is moving :( :( :(

edit: DAZ have no tested this product !

Post edited by rmrf2003 on
  • drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited November 2020

Hey guys.  I think some of you may be confused because you don't understand the origination and purpose of FACS.  Originally it was used to identify emotional cues by examining the face.  This has been applied by different fields from Marketing to Psychology.  Lately, the VFX animation industry has adopted it as a sort of standard in the facial animation pipeline.  To fully understand and take advantage of FACS, you should be using one of the various facial animation software packages that use technology to track the face, compute and solve the expressions based on FACS, and manipulate a facial rig for final results.  This is the true benefit of FACS for animation.  It is the common language that computers and humans use to get a satisfying, and somewhat automated result.  Otherwise, hand-keying facial is a tireless, time-consuming, lethal job.  If you are not animating, this may seem like a nice rig for manipulation, but as others have noted, its usefulness may not be any more than other ways of posing.  I for one am very happy to finally see a proper FACS rig in Daz Studio.  Unfortunately, Genesis 8 has too few face joints to make any kind of realistic deformation.  A useful VFX-quality face rig -like the one I use- has 300 or more joints.  Maybe that will be for Genesis 9?

Post edited by drzap on
  • plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    rmrf2003 said:

I made a short test 10 minutes: this product just add a graphical interface to manipulate head bones

Pro:

- very easy to create head expressions and fast

- this product could be very nice if .... (read cons)

Cons:

- the graphical interface does not follow head position. To use it with the mouse and red signs YOU NEED TO BE IN ZERO POSE ! For me its a no go !!!

- no fly over text to tell to which bone signs are associated when we click with universal tool

- I got a crash while manipulating the tongue

THE NO GO for this product is because YOU MUST WORK IN ZERO POSE for body and head !!!!! if you need to change something later for the expression you cant use Face Controls. Because they are away from the head or worse inside the head. So you can see them.

It seems also if you are not in zero pose, if you move the red signs head is moving :( :( :(

edit: DAZ have no tested this product !

It doesn't have to be on the character's face to work, but you can parent it to the head if you want it to stay directly on the face. I've used it a lot with different body poses. 

• It doesn't have to be on the character's face to work, but you can parent it to the head if you want it to stay directly on the face. I've used it a lot with different body poses. 

it was parented to head

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    rmrf2003 said:

It doesn't have to be on the character's face to work, but you can parent it to the head if you want it to stay directly on the face. I've used it a lot with different body poses. 

it was parented to head

It works for me, that's weird. Did you have "parent in place" checked? I can also see tooltip popups when I hover over the nodes. 

parented rig.png
    1626 x 782 - 482K
    edited November 2020
    rmrf2003 said:

it was parented to head

It works for me, that's weird. Did you have "parent in place" checked? I can also see tooltip popups when I hover over the nodes. 

Sorry, I was imprecise in my explanations.

I launch Face Control, I relate it to the head, I make the desired expression.

I deleted Face Control while I was building my scene.

If I want to put back Face Control to change a detail in the expression, Face Control will be displayed anywhere.

Edit: unparent + parent to head + parent in place does not work either

Edit 2: tooltips OK

Capture d’écran 2020-11-18 121140.jpg
    845 x 769 - 61K
  • rmrf2003 said:
    rmrf2003 said:

it was parented to head

If I want to put back Face Control to change a detail in the expression, Face Control will be displayed anywhere.

Are you loading the Face Control product with the figure in the zero pose or are you posing the figure and then loading the product?

• If the figure is in the zero pose when you load face control it should load near the face. Move Face Control's parent from the g8m figure to the head bone. You may have to position it a bit to overlay the face. Once you're happy with the position, you're good to go.
    • If you posed the figure and then loaded Face Control, Face Control will still load in the default position as if the character was in the zero pose. 
      • First parent Face Control to the head bone of the figure
      • Then with Face Control still selected, right click on the parameters tab and choose "Zero figure's pose" that will move it to where the face is in the pose.
    edited November 2020

Are you loading the Face Control product with the figure in the zero pose or are you posing the figure and then loading the product?

• If the figure is in the zero pose when you load face control it should load near the face. Move Face Control's parent from the g8m figure to the head bone. You may have to position it a bit to overlay the face. Once you're happy with the position, you're good to go.
    • If you posed the figure and then loaded Face Control, Face Control will still load in the default position as if the character was in the zero pose. 
      • Then with Face Control still selected, right click on the parameters tab and choose "Zero figure's pose" that will move it to where the face is in the pose.

1) figure zero pose + select G8F + load Face Controls ---> OK

2) Face Controls loaded on G8F zero pose + pose G8F ---> KO Face Control does not follow G8F head.

3) Then with Face Control still selected, right click on the parameters tab and choose "Zero figure's pose" that will move it to where the face is in the pose. ===> does not work

Edit for 2) ===> get a crash while trying to move Face Control !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PC config: see capture + GTX 1080 8GBytes

Capture d’écran 2020-11-18 160956.jpg
    514 x 87 - 14K
  • rmrf2003 said:

2) Face Controls loaded on G8F zero pose + pose G8F ---> KO Face Control does not follow G8F head.

3) Then with Face Control still selected, right click on the parameters tab and choose "Zero figure's pose" that will move it to where the face is in the pose. ===> does not work

Edit for 2) ===> get a crash while trying to move Face Control !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your description doesn't say that you're moving the Face Control prop's parent to the head. Your face control should be moved so it's listed under the head bone and not under the main G8M/G8F figure.

It should look like the screenshot below.

FControl.png
    598 x 598 - 43K
  • Your description doesn't say that you're moving the Face Control prop's parent to the head. Your face control should be moved so it's listed under the head bone and not under the main G8M/G8F figure.

I think I will make a video to make you understand what I am saying.

I do exactly what you show in your screen capture (and what you say in your text) . When I say I got a crash was when I change the pose of my G8F and Face Control does not follow the head (ie: the face control are not facing the face of G8F). I tried to move them in front thee face AND daz crashed

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    rmrf2003 said:
    rmrf2003 said:

it was parented to head

The distortion there is concerning for me. I thought Face Control had FACS limits built into it so one couldn't distort the face beyond what the FACS scientific data says is possible?

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,692
    rmrf2003 said:
    rmrf2003 said:

it was parented to head

The distortion there is concerning for me. I thought Face Control had FACS limits built into it so one couldn't distort the face beyond what the FACS scientific data says is possible?

While that would be ideal for "realistic" animation/poses, if someone wanted to use this for toon/caricature animation/poses then the limitations of realism would not alow for the exaggerated expressions that are a staple for non- realistic animation. Just my 2 cents worth here, but I prefer it the way it is. Possibly having a way to turn realistic limits on or off might make everyone happy?

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,692
    rmrf2003 said:

Your description doesn't say that you're moving the Face Control prop's parent to the head. Your face control should be moved so it's listed under the head bone and not under the main G8M/G8F figure.

I think I will make a video to make you understand what I am saying.

I do exactly what you show in your screen capture (and what you say in your text) . When I say I got a crash was when I change the pose of my G8F and Face Control does not follow the head (ie: the face control are not facing the face of G8F). I tried to move them in front thee face AND daz crashed

With the FACS UI parented to the head, it moves perfectly with the head for me, even in extreme poses (like with the head upside down). Maybe your issue is coming from the fact that you loaded FACS, used it to create an expression, deleted it, then re-loaded it? My guess is that there is some imbedded data in the file that is causing a conflict and the issues you are experiencing? Try loading it in a new scene and parenting it to the head to see if it will then work for you.

For future reference, you don't need to delete FACS if you don't want to see it, just turn the UI off in the scene pane (click the eye icon). 

• gMAKgMAK Posts: 26

Hello all - can anyone tell me if the expression/changes can be - saved and reused 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    DustRider said:
    rmrf2003 said:
    rmrf2003 said:

it was parented to head

While that would be ideal for "realistic" animation/poses, if someone wanted to use this for toon/caricature animation/poses then the limitations of realism would not alow for the exaggerated expressions that are a staple for non- realistic animation. Just my 2 cents worth here, but I prefer it the way it is. Possibly having a way to turn realistic limits on or off might make everyone happy?

Well then like the rest of DAZ Studio & other models it needs to have a switch for turning the FACS limits on and off because technically in a way that matters to what the product actually says what it is, if it doesn't follow the scientifically established FACS limits then it is not FACS even if everything else about it does follow technical FACS requirements.

ceba said:

Hello all - can anyone tell me if the expression/changes can be - saved and reused 

Yes. The expressions and animations can be saved as poses: File - Save As - Prose preset

DustRider said:
    rmrf2003 said:
    rmrf2003 said:

it was parented to head

Well then like the rest of DAZ Studio & other models it needs to have a switch for turning the FACS limits on and off because technically in a way that matters to what the product actually says what it is, if it doesn't follow the scientifically established FACS limits then it is not FACS even if everything else about it does follow technical FACS requirements.

I recommend always turning limits off, this includes the entire figure. The Genesis figure has its own limits built into it which restrict the full range of motion my tool can achieve. Therefore select the Genesis figure's head, then select all its children, then go to the Parameters tab and just uncheck all limits on everything.

Check out the the beginning of this video:

It goes rather fast but you can see me turn off the limits while the audio talks about Paul Ekman.

This tool is about giving the user full control of a character's face. Whether they want to achieve realism or go the cartoony route is up to them. I wanted to make a tool that can support both options.

rmrf2003 said:

Just parent the Genesis Face Controls to the head like the instructions say. DO NOT fit Genesis Face Controls to the Genesis figure. This creates an infinite loop which will cause the program to crash. There is a bug where you can fit the Face Controls to the Genesis figure without Daz Studio crashing. Again, this a bug. Infinite loops are bad and when the program crashes it does so because it was programed to do so, kind of like a killswitch to avoid other issues.

Sometimes Daz Studio automatically fits certain items to whatever figure is selected in the Scene tab. Like the video shows: load the genesis figure, have its root selected in the scene tab, then double-click on the Face Controls in the Content tab. Then you can parent it to whatever body part you want.

Faux2D said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

@Faux2D awesome.

What sliders are you referring to?

• Faux2D said:
    Faux2D said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

@Faux2D awesome.

I'm sorry, I think I made an assumption on how your product worked. I assumed each AU's intensity could be controlled by a slider somewhere.

Faux2D said:
    Faux2D said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

@Faux2D awesome.

I'm sorry, I think I made an assumption on how your product worked. I assumed each AU's intensity could be controlled by a slider somewhere.

Your assumption is correct. The arrows and circles are the GUI for these sliders. There's more than 80 of these sliders, scrolling up and down trying to find the ones you want is not ideal hence the GUI. You can find them by just selecting the Face Controls in the scene tab (the root), then go to the proprieties tab and you should see a subgroup called "FACS". They're hidden by default so make sure to have "Show Hidden Properties" checked.

• So I'm having lots of fun with this. I have to say I like it once I figured out what I was doing. So far, my only complaint is the fact the Face Controls default to showing in the render. That seems an odd thing to do. I had to go in and select all the controls and manually turn them off for the render. While I can possibly see the need to having the controls visible during a simulation if tweaks were needed, having it visible in your final render isn't good. I couldn't find a button to turn off visibility. That would have been a nice feature. Anyway, render coming soon.

So I'm having lots of fun with this. I have to say I like it once I figured out what I was doing. So far, my only complaint is the fact the Face Controls default to showing in the render. That seems an odd thing to do. I had to go in and select all the controls and manually turn them off for the render. While I can possibly see the need to having the controls visible during a simulation if tweaks were needed, having it visible in your final render isn't good. I couldn't find a button to turn off visibility. That would have been a nice feature. Anyway, render coming soon.

You don't need to select them all manually, or select them at all. Just turn the visibility off (the little eye icon) of the whole figure, i.e. the root note.

I know this is an issue and Daz Studio actually has an option for this. Select the root, go to the Properties tab -> Display -> Visible in Render. Unfortunately this parameter doesn't work.

• Faux2D said:
    Faux2D said:
    Faux2D said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

@Faux2D awesome.

Your assumption is correct. The arrows and circles are the GUI for these sliders. There's more than 80 of these sliders, scrolling up and down trying to find the ones you want is not ideal hence the GUI. You can find them by just selecting the Face Controls in the scene tab (the root), then go to the proprieties tab and you should see a subgroup called "FACS". They're hidden by default so make sure to have "Show Hidden Properties" checked.

OK, awesome, then. That means both Daz Script and the SDK should be able to get a reference to their controllers and set them. The sky is the limit for what people will be able to do with this. Thanks again. And to think I was waiting for your muscle deformer :)

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,902
    edited November 2020

Below is an example usage on Mark - https://www.daz3d.com/mark-for-genesis-8-male

Mark03facs01pic01.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 256K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,902
    edited November 2020

Just want to confirm, that I am using it right. Does Face Controls really need to be parented to the head?

Today, I have lost the possibility to pick up the face control elements (GUI red icons) by picking them up from the camera view,

so I have to use the sliders from the scene hierarchy instead. Very strange.

How to make GUI elements selectable again?

Mark03facs01pic01scr01a.jpg
    1737 x 1305 - 398K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Faux2D said:

You don't need to select them all manually, or select them at all. Just turn the visibility off (the little eye icon) of the whole figure, i.e. the root note.

I know this is an issue and Daz Studio actually has an option for this. Select the root, go to the Properties tab -> Display -> Visible in Render. Unfortunately this parameter doesn't work.

Visible in Render On/Off does work. I've been using it all day turned off with Face Control. Faster than having to turn off visibility from the scene tab before I do an iray preview or render the scene. 

You may need to put in a ticket.

• Faux2D said:

So I'm having lots of fun with this. I have to say I like it once I figured out what I was doing. So far, my only complaint is the fact the Face Controls default to showing in the render. That seems an odd thing to do. I had to go in and select all the controls and manually turn them off for the render. While I can possibly see the need to having the controls visible during a simulation if tweaks were needed, having it visible in your final render isn't good. I couldn't find a button to turn off visibility. That would have been a nice feature. Anyway, render coming soon.

Weird. I turned visibility off this way: Properties tab -> Display -> Visible in Render

What I had problems with that didn't work was selecting just the root control and turning off the eye icon. That didn't work for me. It would have been super easy if it had.

Artini said:

Just want to confirm, that I am using it right. Does Face Controls really need to be parented to the head?

Today, I have lost the possibility to pick up the face control elements (GUI red icons) by picking them up from the camera view,

It does not need to be parented to the head but it is recommended.

If you kept turning off and on the visibility of the tool you might have accidentally pressed the little arrow next to the little eye in the Scene tab. That arrow makes the figure seectable/unselectable in the viewport.

Faux2D said:

Visible in Render On/Off does work. I've been using it all day turned off with Face Control. Faster than having to turn off visibility from the scene tab before I do an iray preview or render the scene. 

You may need to put in a ticket.

Are you using 4.14? I'm still using 4.12, if the issue is now fixed I'm glad to hear it.

Faux2D said:

Weird. I turned visibility off this way: Properties tab -> Display -> Visible in Render

What I had problems with that didn't work was selecting just the root control and turning off the eye icon. That didn't work for me. It would have been super easy if it had.

The root control? There's a cross control at the very top which can manipulare the whole GUI. Is that what you are referring to?

I should've been more clear. The root is the bone the Hip bone is parented to. Basically the figure itself, the one named "Genesis Face Controls" in the Scene tab.