Daz Studio 4.14 Pro, General Release!

Comments

• NathNath Posts: 2,748
    Nath said:
    Nath said:

I have never understood the need for installers. I just can't imagine a better way, than manual install with a decent zip app. I use 7zip for at least 10 years now, and never had any problems.
    What is people's problem with manual install at all?
    Why do we have to have installers, other than zip apps?

I prefer manual install from zip as well. The only drawback I can see is that - especially if you buy from various stores - not every product conforms to the standard directory structure, and if you don't pay attention or don't really understand the content file structure it's possible to end up with nested content directories and runtimes, and loose items in random places.

Well, there's that. But there's also the flux of support ticket issues if folks who manual install don't go in and uninstall things before updating anything. I recall this whem DS 4.0 was still fairly new and previous versions of Genesis needed to be uninstalled before installing the fresh update, because file names remained the same, but with a different extension, where both extensions are supported by Daz Studio, so the user was left not knowing which file to open, and neither worked properly due to the lack of uninstall.

That being said, I'm a bit perturbed that Daz 3D decided to rename products with a new "Legacy" suffix and load those into my DIM without offering to uninstall the originals. So now I'm faced with that dreaded dual load syndrome and likely twice the storage space.

I have a feeling that this had to do with the new Daz Central or perhaps Daz Connect, but in a world of metadata, why didn't they handle it differently?

That said, I'm reluctantly beginning to feel as my friend Mindsong does (above). I have been an integral part of Daz 3D for many years now and am (reluctantly) beginning to feel as if they want me to take my business elsewhere. 

I don't think I've reached that point yet, but I certainly can understand the sentiment.

I haven't yet either, and I truly hope that day never actually comes. Daz 3D (Carrara and Daz 3D Content, actually) is my favorite reason to turn on a computer. I built this machine just for my Carrara endeavors - and it Rocks Carrara!

• Ryzen 2700 Octa core (Carrara uses CPU for ray tracing)
    • 64GB RAM
    • Modest GTX 1660 6GB - still works Great for Iray

I somehow never really got into liking Carrara (which perhaps says more about me than about Carrara), but have been working on wrestling Blender if not into submission, at least into doing what I want on occasion, but still enjoy working with Studio and its content as well (and of course Blender and Studio (content) aren't mutually exclusive either...)

• Nath said:
    Nath said:
    [...]  I use IZArc. Just unzip everything and tidy up while I move things into the content directory.

I don't quite understand. Shouldn't a zipper do all this automaticly?
    Just choose your target folder, click and watch it happening.
    E.g.: Target Folder "blablabla://DAZ/Content/..."
    click and go. Aaaand perfectley installed.

Nath said:
    Nath said:
    [...]  I use IZArc. Just unzip everything and tidy up while I move things into the content directory.

I don't quite understand. Shouldn't a zipper do all this automaticly?
    Just choose your target folder, click and watch it happening.
    E.g.: Target Folder "blablabla://DAZ/Content/..."
    click and go. Aaaand perfectley installed.

Only if you have a standard set-up for your content folder. I strip out vanity folders, rearrange categories, move 'environments' that install as Props to the Environments folder etc., and reorganise for fewer clicks while using a product (e.g., if there's a folder Materials with two subfolders Iray and 3DL, I move the two subfolders to the level Materials is at and remove the now empty Materials folder).

• TheRetiredSailorTheRetiredSailor Posts: 259
    edited November 2020

Some of you are obviously very experienced users. You feel very comfortable around a computer and know how to install new software as well as customizing you content folder.  That's great, I do too.  That said, there's a lot of DAZ customers who don't. The tricky part for DAZ is trying to make one product that fits the needs of all users. 

Post edited by TheRetiredSailor on

Some of you are obviously very experienced users. You feel very comfortable around a computer and know how to install new software as well as customizing you content folder.  That's great, I do too.  That said, there's a lot of DAZ customers who don't. The tricky part for DAZ is trying to make one product that fits the needs of all users. 

Good point, but the solution isn't dumbing things down for everybody and, for example, making it virtually impossible to even find the software to install manually.

The way to do it would be to document the various options properly, and have a clear route to progress to more complicated/more controlled by themselves options for users who wish to do so. Nothing wrong with training wheels, but it shouldn't be so hard to remove them.

• ajrfajrf Posts: 11

Sorry, but the "building interface" is taking an eternity.

For your information, my specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel I7 6700K
    Kingston ValueRAM 16GB Ram@2133MHz
    Gigabyte GeForce 1060 6GB OC (current driver is 457.30)
    Win10 64-bit Home

MSI Z170A Pro

• Nath said:

Good point, but the solution isn't dumbing things down for everybody and, for example, making it virtually impossible to even find the software to install manually.

The way to do it would be to document the various options properly, and have a clear route to progress to more complicated/more controlled by themselves options for users who wish to do so. Nothing wrong with training wheels, but it shouldn't be so hard to remove them.

I hear you. I'm not saying that DAZ is doing a good job of it, just that I appreciate their challenge. I had the desktop computer support job for many years and had both types of users. 

• Not sure what I am missing or doing wrong but I ahave been unable to get Octane into 4.14. I am able to access it on 4.12 but not 4.14. 

IO have updated Drivers and the most recent version of Octane but cannot get it into 4.14.

Ideas....?

• It is not good at all. Granted, there are some really cool things added but let us go to the meat and potatos here, it is great for rendering using Octane and that is all.  Animation in the new advanced timeline, compared to 4.10 is a utility knife with so many things attached that it is time consuming to use. In a different post I mentioned how in 4.10 advanced view I could find a "needed to be deleted" node and delete it quickly, 2 clicks of the mouse. In 4.14 that is not the case. Forget intermediate, useless when the delete key is permenantly greyed out and it is not like you can even find the node for intermediate shows every key in a scene regardless of the the SINGLE node clicked on. So you have to use advanced so that "needed to be deleted key" now means lots of clicking. Why Is there something called 'properties' that I need to click on, why is there something called 'transformations' that I have to click on afterwards....added steps in not an improvement, esp. considering animation is already time consuming enough without adding 2 more things to click on just to do something. Fortunately I have a portable 4.10 and if Daz cannot make the intermediate to function like the 4.10 advanced timeline then it is off to Blender. The newest version is looking hot and I know that it is designed by people who use it and not a marketting team telling devs what would look pretty.

See http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log_4_12_1_118#4_12_1_15

Split the Timeline pane “Advanced View” toggle action into 3 distinct view mode actions; Basic View, Intermediate View, Advanced View; Basic View is equivalent to Advanced View being unchecked in builds prior to 4.12; Intermediate View is equivalent to Advanced View being checked in builds prior to 4.12; Advanced View is the more full featured view introduced with 4.12.

though I am not sure this was how it worked when I tested last night, in response to one of your posts, so it is possible there is an issue or we are missing something.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,453
    edited November 2020
    PDSmith said:

I'm at a loss and digging through page upon page of the forums is far too much of a hassle. 

I am honestly curious as to why Tone Mapping and Environment are now an 'opt in' must be 'created' process?  

And here is why I ask.  If I choose to use 3DL under the Render Settings, I receive a ton of new options that have nothing to do with Iray. Even Scripted 3DL has its own options.

So, when I switch to Iray shouldn't all those tools directly related to Iray render engine needs be apparent under the Render Settings Tab? Why not make it a preference to 'opt in' automatically under the Preference options. That is what it is for right? To customize the user's preferences and session needs?

and since Filament is looking to be a pending render option, why not have purely Filament only based render settings appear?

Or am I asking far too much?

Set up a scene the way you want it, including any Singleton nodes, then in Edit>Prefrences (Daz Studio>Preferences on a Mac) you can use the Stasrt Up and Scene tabs to have that scene load to configure things to suit your needs (you can also do this with a preset or a script, but a Scene is probably the simplest way here). These options allow almost any configuration desired, and offer a great deal of flexibility with only scenes or presets used, much more so that would be practical through prefrences itself.

Although Filament, as with any Drawstyle, can be used as a render engine that isn't its main purpose - its main pupose is to be a Drawstyle, a PBR drawstyle to get closer to Iray.

Edited to remove something I misunderstood.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • jbowlerjbowler Posts: 752
    PDSmith said:

I'm at a loss and digging through page upon page of the forums is far too much of a hassle. 

I am honestly curious as to why Tone Mapping and Environment are now an 'opt in' must be 'created' process?  

And here is why I ask.  If I choose to use 3DL under the Render Settings, I receive a ton of new options that have nothing to do with Iray. Even Scripted 3DL has its own options.

So, when I switch to Iray shouldn't all those tools directly related to Iray render engine needs be apparent under the Render Settings Tab? Why not make it a preference to 'opt in' automatically under the Preference options. That is what it is for right? To customize the user's preferences and session needs?

and since Filament is looking to be a pending render option, why not have purely Filament only based render settings appear?

Or am I asking far too much?

Set up a scene the way you want it, including any Singleton nodes, then in Edit>Prefrences (Daz Studio>Preferences on a Mac) you can use the Stasrt Up and Scene tabs to have that scene load to configure things to suit your needs (you can also do this with a preset or a script, but a Scene is probably the simplest way here). These options allow almost any configuration desired, and offer a great deal of flexibility with only scenes or presets used, much more so that would be practical through prefrences itself.

Indeed; because I always used custom "progressive rendering" settings most of the time I work from an existing scene so that I did not have to go through all the setup.  This is extraordinarily easy to do with Windows without using any Daz stuff other than to make the settings:

1. Start DAZStudio.
    2. Set everything up; I change "progressive rendering" and "simulation" settings.
    3. Save the scene in a convenient place; I save it in a "Presets" directory but it doesn't much matter so long as you give the file an appropriate name, e.g. "animation settings" or "HDRI settings" etc.
    4. If you have not "pinned" DAZStudio to the Windows taskbar do so now; right click on the running DAZ icon on the toolbar and pick "pin to taskbar" (the entry just above "Close Window" at the bottom.)
    5. Exit DAZStudio.
    6. Go to where you have DAZ on the Windows toolbar (it will still be there because you pinned it), right click on the icon.  You will see the scene file you just created at the top of the recent files list.
    7. Go up to the file and right click again, click on "pin to list" on the context menu that pops up (there is also a push-pin icon on the right which you can click on instead.)

Once you have done this you can start DAZStudio with all those settings just by right clicking on the task bar and selecting the scene file from the top.  You can then change the settings and just save the file or, to start a new scene with those settings, do a "save as..." to an appropriate file name and start work.  Easy.

In fact there are a great many ways of doing this.  For example you can save "render settings" presets and just load one when you start.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,955
    edited November 2020

Thanks again, I'll give this a try for sure. I really hate this new menu settings, it's driving me nuts!

Glad to help, hope it works out for you!

This doesn't work I'm afraid Takezo.

I made 'the scene' using all my regular settings, saved it into presets and then told DAZ to load that scene on boot up. Nothing happens, it still just boots up with the new rubbish menu.

Here's a quick tutorial:

1. Open the environmental and tone mapping items from the create menu...

2. Once loaded, save the file to your library, it can be custom-made or where you usually save your scene files... I already used a custom location myself.

3. Open up preferences and go to the start up tab, check the load box and select the browse selection from the drop-down menu, then browse to where you saved your file that you just saved on your HDD...

4. So whenever you start up Daz studio your new scene with the old menu items will load!

SETTING UP RENDER SETTINGS 1.png
    470 x 605 - 56K
    SETTING UP RENDER SETTINGS 2.png
    844 x 1109 - 129K
    SETTING UP RENDER SETTINGS 3.png
    1901 x 1115 - 143K
    SETTING UP RENDER SETTINGS 4.png
    2560 x 1100 - 255K
    Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • jbowlerjbowler Posts: 752
    Nath said:

I have never understood the need for installers. I just can't imagine a better way, than manual install with a decent zip app. I use 7zip for at least 10 years now, and never had any problems.
    Why do we have to have installers, other than zip apps?

I prefer manual install from zip as well. The only drawback I can see is that - especially if you buy from various stores - not every product conforms to the standard directory structure, and if you don't pay attention or don't really understand the content file structure it's possible to end up with nested content directories and runtimes, and loose items in random places.

DAZ uses: Content/..., Rendo uses: My Library/... and rotica uses: <whatever>/...
    what other stores are left.
    The nice thing about free 7zip is, that you go down the hirachy and start unzipping from there.

The nice thing about Windows Explorer is that I can simply click on the .zip file, double+click on the sub-directories therein, find what is actually needed and drag and drop it into the right place in another file explorer window.

The nice thing about DIM is that I don't even have to do that, not because using DIM is any easier than extracting a Zip archive to the particular directory but because the existence of a DIM formatted archive means that the creator, the PA, had actually taken the time to work out the correct structure for Daz.   I see DIM more as a tool for enforcing good behavior from PAs than helping me, although it does that too.

•  

Thanks again, I'll give this a try for sure. I really hate this new menu settings, it's driving me nuts!

Glad to help, hope it works out for you!

This doesn't work I'm afraid Takezo.

I made 'the scene' using all my regular settings, saved it into presets and then told DAZ to load that scene on boot up. Nothing happens, it still just boots up with the new rubbish menu.

Here's a quick tutorial:

1. Open the environmental and tone mapping items from the create menu...

2. Once loaded, save the file to your library, it can be custom-made or where you usually save your scene files... I already used a custom location myself.

3. Open up preferences and go to the start up tab, check the load box and select the browse selection from the drop-down menu, then browse to where you saved your file that you just saved on your HDD...

4. So whenever you start up Daz studio your new scene with the old menu items will load!

I've got! Excellent. Thank you for your time that's been a great help.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,560
    edited November 2020
    jbowler said:

I believe it is more like a 2EV difference .. emissive surfaces don't seem to be mapped to anything .. DAZStudio lights seem to penetrate non-transmissive surfaces .. Filament seem to have different fall-off rates

I didn't really tested filament yet since I'm busy with diffeo hair. Thank you for the notes, I guess they need to tune it up. As for emissive surfaces that is expected though since indirect light needs to be baked unless you can raytrace.

Post edited by Padone on
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,955

I've got! Excellent. Thank you for your time that's been a great help.

Good, I'm very glad it worked out for you!wink

I don't know what is this about, but when I finish a render, is impossible to save it. The message says:

"Could not save file to: "specific folder""

This is what appears on my log:

2020-11-23 09:59:13.930 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
    2020-11-23 09:59:13.931 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: <html><head>
    2020-11-23 09:59:13.931 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: <title>400 Bad Request</title>
    2020-11-23 09:59:13.931 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: </head><body>
    2020-11-23 09:59:13.931 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: <h1>Bad Request</h1>
    2020-11-23 09:59:13.932 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: <p>Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.<br />
    2020-11-23 09:59:13.932 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: </p>
    2020-11-23 09:59:13.932 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: </body></html>
    2020-11-23 09:59:13.932 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): peer performed orderly shutdown errno=0
    2020-11-23 09:59:14.714 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00022 iterations after 7.274s.
    2020-11-23 09:59:15.696 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00025 iterations after 8.256s.
    2020-11-23 09:59:16.992 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00029 iterations after 9.552s.
    2020-11-23 09:59:17.464 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: 100.00% of image converged
    2020-11-23 09:59:17.464 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00030 iterations after 10.025s.
    2020-11-23 09:59:17.639 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Convergence threshold reached.
    2020-11-23 09:59:22.535 Saved image: C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render\r.png
    2020-11-23 09:59:22.542 Finished Rendering
    2020-11-23 09:59:22.577 Total Rendering Time: 15.41 seconds
    2020-11-23 09:59:28.369 Failed to save image: C:\Users\Usuario\Pictures\DAZ3d_Renders\y8u9jo234drwekdr.jpg
    2020-11-23 09:59:28.369     Operation failed
    2020-11-23 10:00:13.469 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request

2020-11-23 10:00:13.470 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 09:00:13 GMT

2020-11-23 10:00:13.470 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: Server: Apache

2020-11-23 10:00:13.470 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: Vary: Accept-Encoding

2020-11-23 10:00:13.470 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: Content-Length: 226

2020-11-23 10:00:13.470 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: Connection: close

2020-11-23 10:00:13.471 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

2020-11-23 10:00:13.471 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection:

2020-11-23 10:00:13.471 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
    2020-11-23 10:00:13.471 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: <html><head>
    2020-11-23 10:00:13.471 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: <title>400 Bad Request</title>
    2020-11-23 10:00:13.471 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: </head><body>
    2020-11-23 10:00:13.471 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: <h1>Bad Request</h1>
    2020-11-23 10:00:13.471 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: <p>Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.<br />
    2020-11-23 10:00:13.472 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: </p>
    2020-11-23 10:00:13.472 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: </body></html>
    2020-11-23 10:00:13.472 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): peer performed orderly shutdown errno=0
    2020-11-23 10:00:17.640 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Device statistics:

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited November 2020

The Got an unknown command has it's own thread here:
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/415346/got-an-unknown-command-from-the-persistent-connection#latest

As for not being able to safe renders: are you sure you are not trying to save to a protected folder?

Post edited by Kerya on
    Kerya said:

As for not being able to safe renders: are you sure you are not trying to save to a protected folder?

Not in this case.

• Does anyone have any insight into why filament is not working for me and why did my Daz Studio switch to animate lite after I installed Das Studio 4.14? I attached an image of the Drawstyle drop-down menu in my Daz Studio. I the image you can see the Filament option is shaded out. I can't even click on it and again, how do I enable animate 2 in Daz Studio 4.14? It was working before the update.

My Filament ain't working.png
    1366 x 768 - 163K
  • kyoto kid said:

Holy Moly you guys!!!

Okay, some of you Daz 3D Devs may know me for the die hard Carrara user that I am - I am. I Love Carrara!

Well I've been incredibly hyped about everything that's been going into Daz Studio over the past years - ever since 4.0, but I never really used it as my animation/render studio - just all of the amazing, incredibly handy and powerful tools it has.

This whole Filament thing along with (I haven't found/figured them out yet) the new Animation tools has really got me jazzed.

When another Carrara user turned me on to the Beta with Filament, I gave it a bit of a try - not much time invested into it - but it was cool enough to get me to start putting a bunch of Daz Studio info on my site so that my readers and myself can learn and grow with this thing.

Well one of my awesome readers sponsored me a gift card, which I used to get a cool Genesis 8 Female character and hair for her just last night so I could install and try the new Daz Studio as soon as my Carrara renders were complete.

Oh Man!!! 

Okay, I have a lot of Steph videos to watch so I can wrap my head around where things are. I used Filament just fine for getting an animation put together, but not well enough to run it for the render, so I switched to Iray. OMG!!!

Little Lara Thorne and her Bronwyn Hair are fricken Spectacular! Dropped in an HDRI for both lighting and an environment and set up Iray for speed - something I just kinda started picking up on how to do... kinda.

Well my animation is rendering at roughly a minute per frame, give or take, and the results look fantastic!

Filament is amazing! Even if I stick with Iray for my final renders, Filament looks gorgeous at its absurdly fast render speed!

I know I saw Steph working in a Graph Editor and some other new animation tools. I have to look into that stuff and see how far this adventure takes me!

Now I need to get my hands on Linday's Classic Long Curly Hair with dForce and I bet I could make a Daz Studio Genesis 8 Female version of my Rosie character (My hero, fashioned after my lovely wife)! Lara makes a stunningly similar Rosie 8 - on the right is Rosie 5, a cross-generation Genesis 1 Female (click the image to see the intro video of her)

Wow. Just... Wow!

Great Job! Thanks Team Daz 3D!!!

...was going to ask about the hair until I watched the video (very nice i may say). So it was generated in Carrara? 

Been looking to rebuild my Merida character (who's also quite a "kitbash") and hair like that would be ideal. 

I even have a meager system for this stuff - 

• Ryzen 2nd Gen 2700 octa-core
    • GTX 1660 6GB
    • 64GB RAM

So I'm running Iray using both GPU and CPU and it's running great!

I had one crash, but it truly felt like it was my fault, switching from Iray in my viewport to Filament right in the middle of a bunch of setting changes - Iray was busy busy busy.

Installation via DIM went without a hitch, but I just installed the latest nVidia driver to run the Beta. I wonder if that made the difference.

...save for the GPU (Maxwell Titan-X) that meagre system is far more of a beast than than mine: (6 core Westmere Xeon and 24 GB DDR3 1333 memory) 

WOWEE! Spectacular heart and I want to know how your acheived it...................tell me, tell me, tell me, pretty please? cheekydevil surprise

• Does anyone have any insight into why filament is not working for me and why did my Daz Studio switch to animate lite after I installed Das Studio 4.14? I attached an image of the Drawstyle drop-down menu in my Daz Studio. I the image you can see the Filament option is shaded out. I can't even click on it and again, how do I enable animate 2 in Daz Studio 4.14? It was working before the update.

So it was running the full Animate 2 from a serial number and lost that? With two oddities like that (I assume there are no others in Help>About Installed Plug-ins) I'd suspect some kind of data corruption

• When I try to do an edit on the character, it becomes robot-like and I only see the character's lines and I can't see the edit in real time.

• What is people's problem with manual install at all?

I'm a busy man and my time has more value than my money, the reason I've decided to buy from daz exclusively was the promiss of easy installation. however, my assumption have been proven wrong again and again.
    Now I feel like being stuck in a loveless marriage where none of the sides care about the other, I haven't been able to use daz for months simply because I can't stand installing everything anew and daz haven't seen any revenue from me because I haven't been using daz at all.

At least nobody can blame me for not trying, I've wrote posts on this forum about it, wrote tickets, suggested solutions and offered to help. but the most attention I've got from daz was when they removed my posts...

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

If you don't like using terminal, in the Finder use the “Go” menu and navigate down to “Go to Folder” and then type /usr/lib/ and see if you have libstdc++.6.dylib and libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib.

If these files are not there you can get how to reinstall them by searching the net.

I think that only libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib is a real file, with symlinks (that can be repointed for different releases).  The correct procedure is probably

cd /usr/lib; cp [wherever you have a copy] libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib ; ln -s libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib libstdc++.6.dylib; ln -s libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib libstdc++.dylib

• What is people's problem with manual install at all?

I'm a busy man and my time has more value than my money, the reason I've decided to buy from daz exclusively was the promiss of easy installation.  [...]

hm, still don't understand then, what is difficult with an (almost) one click install using 7zip.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,914

I'm a busy man and my time has more value than my money, the reason I've decided to buy from daz exclusively was the promiss of easy installation.  [...]

hm, still don't understand then, what is difficult with an (almost) one click install using 7zip.

+1

Open file, navigate to "Content", select the folders, click "Extract", press "arrow down" on your keyboard to select the last used folder, click "Ok" = Done

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,276
    PerttiA said:

+1

Open file, navigate to "Content", select the folders, click "Extract", press "arrow down" on your keyboard to select the last used folder, click "Ok" = Done

Not to mention the fact that DIM is Awesome, Fast and Free!

Beyond being used as an installer, I find DIM to be my goto database for finding my way through my content libraries, since I have quite a few. It's easy to search and find stuff - as well as to browse content using various filter methods.

If I want to create a new library for select items, I can 

• Create the new Library using DIM
    • Select everything I want in that library and uninstall
    • Select everything that just shown up in the download list
    • Install to new library

It also rocks for telling me where the Textures are installed, which I need to know quite often.

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,128
    edited November 2020
    PerttiA said:

+1

Not to mention the fact that DIM is Awesome, Fast and Free!

Beyond being used as an installer, I find DIM to be my goto database for finding my way through my content libraries, since I have quite a few. It's easy to search and find stuff - as well as to browse content using various filter methods.

If I want to create a new library for select items, I can 

• Create the new Library using DIM
    • Select everything I want in that library and uninstall
    • Select everything that just shown up in the download list
    • Install to new library

It also rocks for telling me where the Textures are installed, which I need to know quite often.

Broadly speaking, there are around five flavors of Daz content library management strategies out there right now (ordered by least to most advanced/capable):

1. Daz Central as manager of Daz store content.
    2. DIM as content manager of Daz store content.
    3. DIM as content manager of Daz store content and the user as manager of everything else via regular zip files.
    4. The user as manager of everything via regular zip files.
    5. DIM as content manager of everything (since if you've rtfm'ed, you know that any random collection of files can be made manageable by DIM.)
    Post edited by RayDAnt on
  • Ostadan said:

If you don't like using terminal, in the Finder use the “Go” menu and navigate down to “Go to Folder” and then type /usr/lib/ and see if you have libstdc++.6.dylib and libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib.

If these files are not there you can get how to reinstall them by searching the net.

I think that only libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib is a real file, with symlinks (that can be repointed for different releases).  The correct procedure is probably

cd /usr/lib; cp [wherever you have a copy] libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib ; ln -s libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib libstdc++.6.dylib; ln -s libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib libstdc++.dylib

You will need to execute the cp command as root because the /usr/lib/ is locked: su cp [wherever you have a copy] libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib