New DS Filament Render Engine

Comments

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,550

I think I'm going to end up getting filament items to play with just because of the novelty of it. That's the same reason I got a Chromebook.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,252

This is the first release of Filament in Daz Studio. If Daz3D doesn't abandon their work on it and run off to the next shiny thing, Filament will probably be improved. I think it is already improved from the first Beta that included it. If it doesn't work for your workflow, don't use it. All the other choices are still there. We have no right to tell Daz3D what to spend their time and money on. Daz Studio is free. We get what we get. Daz3D is really a content brokerage. With all the bridges they are providing, I'm kind of surprised (but happy) that Daz Studio development is continuing. 

• yeah that is what is rubbing me up the wrong way.

everyone has their choices and preferences

but to be told using it and putting stuff out there is going to bring DAZ 3D into disreputeangry

Really???

I don't know if the "DAZ Studio is free" argument works if the product they're selling depends on DAZ Studio to work. But I did notice that adding Filament didn't seem to stop anything else from working.

• hjakehjake Posts: 813
    edited November 2020

Can someone please confirm if the google software mentioned in the links below is the software that has been integrated into DAZ Studio?

What is Filament                   https://google.github.io/filament/

Filament for Android/MAC    https://github.com/google/filament

Filament Release Notes       https://github.com/google/filament/releases/tag/v1.9.0

Post edited by hjake on
  • sean2_7606d08833sean2_7606d08833 Posts: 40
    edited November 2020
    hjake said:

Can someone please confirm if the google software mentoined in the links below is the sfotware that has been integrated into DAZ Studio?

Yes, it is.

Post edited by sean2_7606d08833 on
  • This is my first animation experiment with the new DS Filament Render Engine in DAZ Studio.  It rendered in 6 minutes for 180 frames in 1920 X 1080. I added a little pixel motion blur in After Effects. 

• hjakehjake Posts: 813
    edited November 2020
    hjake said:

Can someone please confirm if the google software mentoined in the links below is the sfotware that has been integrated into DAZ Studio?

Yes, it is.

Thanks. So it seems its target audience is rendering on mobile devices. It will be interesting where this will take DAZ Studio which leverages powerful Windows computers with Nvidia graphics cards.

Post edited by hjake on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited November 2020

I rendered this animation with Filament in just under 14 minutes. It would have taken my machine over 2 hours to render it in Iray.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/478310569

Edit: Vimeo lowered the quality by a LOT. It rendered out much more clear and crisp. Here's one of the frames (and of course uploading the frame here also lowered the quality a bit lol /DOH!):

G8F Animation - Wrestling Moves in Boho Outfit0059.jpg
    4000 x 4000 - 5M
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,252

The biggest problem with Daz Studio animation for me is the slippery sliding foot problem. It just makes everything look fake.

• CrescentCrescent Posts: 319
    Shadows work for certain light types, not for others, and there are limits on the number of lights. Hair has two issues - enabling dForce/Strand based hair (which is essentially the same as any other preview emthod) and the transparency mapped hair being overly transparent (which can be adderssed via surface settings, as discussed up-thread).

What is the solution for trans mapped hair being too transparent in Filament?  I read/re-read this thread a few times and can't find the answer.  Thanks.

edited November 2020
    barbult said:

This is the first release of Filament in Daz Studio. If Daz3D doesn't abandon their work on it and run off to the next shiny thing, Filament will probably be improved. I think it is already improved from the first Beta that included it. If it doesn't work for your workflow, don't use it. All the other choices are still there. We have no right to tell Daz3D what to spend their time and money on. Daz Studio is free. We get what we get. Daz3D is really a content brokerage. With all the bridges they are providing, I'm kind of surprised (but happy) that Daz Studio development is continuing. 

+1

Daz Studio has just added a new PREVIEW OPTION draw style that people can use only IF THEY WANT. And they can even render with it IF THEY WANT TO (because it renders crazy fast animations), but it's 100% OPTIONAL to use and some people are freaking out. lol It's hilarious. I'd go make some popcorn but I'm having too much fun playing with Filament right now. lol It's a preview draw style. That's all. You can use it to render with if you want to but I think most people will use Iray. It's not meant to be a replacement for Iray. It's cool to have options. No one is forcing anyone to use Filament if they don't want to. I think people who do animations will enjoy it (I'm enjoying it) and I'm sure it will be improved upon with time. :) People can decide for themselves if they'd like to use it or not. Options are nice to have. Give it a chance or don't, no one is forced to use the new preview option nor is anyone forced to render with it. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • they are worried it will make DAZ look bad

I think that cat was out of the bag long ago with many people's (me included) renders blush

Crescent said:
    Shadows work for certain light types, not for others, and there are limits on the number of lights. Hair has two issues - enabling dForce/Strand based hair (which is essentially the same as any other preview emthod) and the transparency mapped hair being overly transparent (which can be adderssed via surface settings, as discussed up-thread).

What is the solution for trans mapped hair being too transparent in Filament?  I read/re-read this thread a few times and can't find the answer.  Thanks.

I think that's something that needs to be worked on, for right now though front light (no backlight) helps a lot. 

• 3Diva said:
    Crescent said:

I think that's something that needs to be worked on, for right now though front light (no backlight) helps a lot. 

or geometry hair be it strandbased or Zbrush etc

3Diva said:
    Crescent said:

or geometry hair be it strandbased or Zbrush etc

Yeah, strand-based hair helps a lot. Just thicken the strands. :) If using Poly-Hair though I also find that using darker colors can help.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145
    edited November 2020

I dunno what the big deal is. If you want to use it, do. If you don't, don't. You still have everything you had before. I'm sure it'll improve over time.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    3Diva said:

Here's one of the frames (and of course uploading the frame here also lowered the quality a bit lol /DOH!):

This looks good! May I ask you if this is a pure Filament render, like load a character, add clothes, pose, lights, render? Not counting animation. Or did you use any of the new Filament products or maybe your own custom shaders that you are so great at creating? 

edited November 2020
    dawnblade said:
    3Diva said:

Here's one of the frames (and of course uploading the frame here also lowered the quality a bit lol /DOH!):

This looks good! May I ask you if this is a pure Filament render, like load a character, add clothes, pose, lights, render? Not counting animation. Or did you use any of the new Filament products or maybe your own custom shaders that you are so great at creating? 

I adjusted the mats myself, as they are Iray mats.

Just as I wouldn't expect 3DL mats to look decent in Iray without some adjustment (and vice versa), one shouldn't expect Iray mats to look decent in Filament without adjustments. :) They're all three different render engines.

Post edited by 3Diva on
    3Diva said:
    dawnblade said:
    3Diva said:

Just as I wouldn't expect 3DL mats to look decent in Iray without some adjustment (and vice versa), one shouldn't expect Iray mats to look decent in Filament without adjustments. :) They're all three different render engines.

Thank you very much! smiley

• cain-xcain-x Posts: 164

It seems that point lights do not cast shadows - is this a known issue?

Also - are there no methods to allow for softer shadows (other than duplicating lights to fake this effect)?

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    3Diva said:
    barbult said:

+1

Daz Studio has just added a new PREVIEW OPTION draw style that people can use only IF THEY WANT. And they can even render with it IF THEY WANT TO (because it renders crazy fast animations), but it's 100% OPTIONAL to use and some people are freaking out. lol It's hilarious. I'd go make some popcorn but I'm having too much fun playing with Filament right now. lol It's a preview draw style. That's all. You can use it to render with if you want to but I think most people will use Iray. It's not meant to be a replacement for Iray. It's cool to have options. No one is forcing anyone to use Filament if they don't want to. I think people who do animations will enjoy it (I'm enjoying it) and I'm sure it will be improved upon with time. :) People can decide for themselves if they'd like to use it or not. Options are nice to have. Give it a chance or don't, no one is forced to use the new preview option nor is anyone forced to render with it. :)

First of all, this isn't a PREVIEW OPTION draw style because it doesn't match Iray's lighting. Therefore, it's useless for previewing a scene.

I don't have a problem with options. I just wish Daz had had spent their time / money on something better. It has been years since we've had a meaningful improvement to the software. The last thing was strand-based hair, and those products still look like jagged straw. Dforce is still painfully slow at times.

We need improvements to the photoreal aspects of Daz, and that simply isn't happening. 

barbult said:

We have no right to tell Daz3D what to spend their time and money on. Daz Studio is free.

This is a really strange opinion. Most of us spend hundreds of dollars here, if not more. Just because the software is free doesn't mean we don't have a right to voice our opinion as Daz's customers. 

edited November 2020
    dawnblade said:
    3Diva said:
    dawnblade said:
    3Diva said:

NP, I'll try and put together some tips for Filament rendering but it may take a couple of days. For now though I highly recommend 1) Lowering the Environment Intensity by a LOT (until it's ALMOST down to zero). 2) Add a Distant Light or Spotlight and be sure to turn the Shadow Type to Raytraced. 3) HDRIs don't catch shadows in Filament so you'll need to add a floor or primitive plane under your character 4) Under Preferences and the Interface Tab under Preferences turn the "Texture Resources : Performance" all the way up - as recommended the walkthrough by Kindred Arts:

Oh and for surfaces: It appears that "glossy" settings (anything that adds or removes gloss) make one of the biggest impacts (if not THE biggest impact) on how surfaces look in Filament. I would start by lowering ALL the glossy settings all the way to Zero and then bring them up one at a time to see what effect you get. I mainly just mess with Glossy Roughness, and Top Coat Weight and Roughness. Having all the other glossy settings (like Duel Lobe Specular Weight, Glossy Layered Weight, etc) all the way off usually.

Post edited by 3Diva on

I find it a bit entertaining that the new rendering engine doesn't do proper shadows and now people are actually selling shadows you can add to your Filament people. I can't consider spending more money on DAZ right now though because I have that 1 in 30 million chance of snagging a PlayStation.

edited November 2020
    NylonGirl said:

I find it a bit entertaining that the new rendering engine doesn't do proper shadows and now people are actually selling shadows you can add to your Filament people. I can't consider spending more money on DAZ right now though because I have that 1 in 30 million chance of snagging a PlayStation.

It does do shadows. You have to turn the shadows on under the Light's settings and you have to make sure that there is a surface under the character (like a floor or primitive plane) as HDRIs alone don't catch shadows in Filament - it needs an actual surface to cast the shadow onto. I can see SY's Rigged Shadows being really helpful though if you want more control over where the shadow goes as well as if you want to use HDRI only for the lighting.

Post edited by 3Diva on
    3Diva said:
    dawnblade said:
    3Diva said:
    dawnblade said:
    3Diva said:

NP, I'll try and put together some tips for Filament rendering but it may take a couple of days. For now though I highly recommend 1) Lowering the Environment Intensity by a LOT (until it's ALMOST down to zero). 2) Add a Distant Light or Spotlight and be sure to turn the Shadow Type to Raytraced. 3) HDRIs don't catch shadows in Filament so you'll need to add a floor or primitive plane under your character 4) Under Preferences and the Interface Tab under Preferences turn the "Texture Resources : Performance" all the way up - as recommended the walkthrough by Kindred Arts:

Oh and for surfaces: It appears that "glossy" settings (anything that adds or removes gloss) make one of the biggest impacts (if not THE biggest impact) on how surfaces look in Filament. I would start by lowering ALL the glossy settings all the way to Zero and then bring them up one at a time to see what effect you get. I mainly just mess with Glossy Roughness, and Top Coat Weight and Roughness. Having all the other glossy settings (like Duel Lobe Specular Weight, Glossy Layered Weight, etc) all the way off usually.

This is super helpful. Appreciate you doing this!

• I kind of like this Filament PBR render setup. I just want to know how to create emissives, and I would be happy. Guess I better start doing some research. 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    Ben Oaks said:

I kind of like this Filament PBR render setup. I just want to know how to create emissives, and I would be happy. Guess I better start doing some research. 

This one's easy.  You can't in the current implemtation of Filament in DS.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    3Diva said:
    barbult said:

+1

We need improvements to the photoreal aspects of Daz, and that simply isn't happening. 

Then what?  People would just find another excuse for being terrible. 

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited November 2020

This is another quick animation experiment with the new DS Filament Render Engine in DAZ Studio. This time I added a distance light with shadows turned on. It rendered in 12 minutes for 216 frames in 1920 X 1080. I added a little pixel motion blur in After Effects.

Post edited by Joepingleton on