Carrara Community Art Gallery - Show us your Renders!!!

1333436383952

Comments

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,051

    Would be nice to see Carrara 9 !!!

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,099

    Steve K said:

     

    Entry in a "Pinup" Contest.  Carrara, of course.

    image

    Great to see, @SteveK .  Like the variation on Memphis Belle.  yes

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,099

    magaremoto said:

    average time 3/4 minutes per frame, 3200x1800 res

    Great video.  The render time is a little steep for my interests, but you get great results.  Excellent!  Agree with you on status of Carrara at Daz3D.  Thanks for fighting the good fight.

  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

    thx Diomede :)

    well, if you own a bunch of machines (6 in my case), 0.3 second animation per hour/machine is not bad - 20 seconds per day less or more; as said carrara works fine even with 4 cores cpus and 8 gb ram only. You know it's funny and pleasant to mantain carrara alive and kicking but I feel men @ daz never will be aware of

  • therixxtherixx Posts: 93

    Let's hope that soon Daz will realize that keeping Carrara and Bryce like this makes no sense and they resolve to:
    a) Develop them again
    b) Sell them to some company who means to develop them
    c) Release as Open Source software
    Any option makes more sense than the current situation.

  • therixx said:

    Let's hope that soon Daz will realize that keeping Carrara and Bryce like this makes no sense and they resolve to:
    a) Develop them again
    b) Sell them to some company who means to develop them
    c) Release as Open Source software
    Any option makes more sense than the current situation.

    A and C would be expensive, releasing soemthign as open source will hae legal fees and may well involve rplacing chunks of code used under a non-open source license. B requires a willing buyer, and also has up-front costs for legal fees etc. I don't, and wouldn't expect to, know anything about Daz' plans but those are general points to bear in mind.

  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

    well, option b requires a willing seller before a willing buyer. To put carrara on the market I guess it will be enough make an announcement, even if 10 years of unconcern makes carrara selling unprofitable for daz or tafi as well

  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited March 2023

    Bunyip02 said:

    Would be nice to see Carrara 9 !!!

    maybe carraracafe can launch a "carrara 9 project" where every carraraist  can contribute putting stuff like UIs, enhanced atmospheres, render settings, PBR shaders etc to build up carrara 8.5 on steroids

    Post edited by magaremoto on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,205

    Diomede said:

    Steve K said:

     

    Entry in a "Pinup" Contest.  Carrara, of course.

     

    Great to see, @SteveK .  Like the variation on Memphis Belle.  yes

    Thanks.  Actually, my inspiration was more the old Spanish missions here in Texas (the Alamo is only one).  They have bells that are a part of their charm.  But I agree "Memphis Belle" was a very good movie. Roger Ebert: " ... it exploits so fully the universal human tendency to identify with a group of people who are up in an airplane and may not be able to get down again. As the flak flies, as enemy fighters attack, as wings are shredded and engines catch on fire and gun turrets are blown off ... "  One of my wife's older relatives was a gun turret (bottom, I think) gunner in WWII.  I met him a couple of times, a very quiet guy, and very short, a necessary attribute for that position.  

  • I've worked as a graphic artist and have long used Carrara as a Swiss Army Knife. I think it's a GREAT tool, and I can usually get exactly what I need out of it, given my limited scope of use.

    One thing disappointed me when I recently did a fresh 8.5 install on a new machine: The HUGE number of "presets," scenes and objects don't seem to be included with Carrara anymore.

    I had to install Carrara 7 Pro and copy them from the file areas to get them into my new install.

    I wonder why Daz doesn't put up all that great stuff  anymore? Very useful for quick projects and in learning how Carrara works. ~pablo 

    2023-03-11_14-23-19.jpg
    1125 x 238 - 60K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

    PabloTempe_1d60a0e1f7 said:

    I've worked as a graphic artist and have long used Carrara as a Swiss Army Knife. I think it's a GREAT tool, and I can usually get exactly what I need out of it, given my limited scope of use.

    One thing disappointed me when I recently did a fresh 8.5 install on a new machine: The HUGE number of "presets," scenes and objects don't seem to be included with Carrara anymore.

    I had to install Carrara 7 Pro and copy them from the file areas to get them into my new install.

    I wonder why Daz doesn't put up all that great stuff  anymore? Very useful for quick projects and in learning how Carrara works. ~pablo 

    Everything is still there.  You likely didn't load the folder called Native Content, or didn't assign it correctly to Carrara.

    General install instructions - http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/carrara/8_5/userguide/getting_started/tutorials/setup_guide/start

  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,205

    UnifiedBrain said:

    PabloTempe_1d60a0e1f7 said:

    ...

    One thing disappointed me when I recently did a fresh 8.5 install on a new machine: The HUGE number of "presets," scenes and objects don't seem to be included with Carrara anymore.

    ... 

    Everything is still there.  You likely didn't load the folder called Native Content, or didn't assign it correctly to Carrara.

    General install instructions - http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/carrara/8_5/userguide/getting_started/tutorials/setup_guide/start

    Yes, I installed Carrara 8.5 long ago and all the great presets were there.  I don't remember if I had to do anything special, but the above will hopefully get it done.

  • Nope. I just checked the 8.5 Native content folder.

    It includes a hair cap and some shaders, but not the presets you got with Carrara 7.

    It seems like I didn't have to do anything manually when I moved from Carrara 7 to 8 on my old machine, but I'm telling you that all those objects and scenes aren't included with a new purchase of 8.5. ~pablo

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,051
    edited March 2023

    If you have Carrara 8.5 you should have two lots of Native Content.

    Pro version gives an extra lot of Native Content

    Did you install via DIM or manually ?

    Carrara Content 1.png
    788 x 1023 - 88K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • therixxtherixx Posts: 93
    edited March 2023

    Yes, Bunyip is right, Pablo.
    I own Carrara 8.5 Pro and in my product library this means

    Carrara 8.5
    Carrara 8.5 Native Content
    Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Content
    Carrara Hair Caps For Genesis And Genesis 2
    Carrara 8.5 Pro

    I think you just have to add the content files to your Carrara installation. Maybe installing them manually (as with most other programs/applications installers).

    Post edited by therixx on
  • This version on this computer is not Pro, it is just 8.5.

    That may be the problem, the presets are NOT in the Carrara 8.5 Native Content folder. They must be in the Pro content.

    Daz should just include the presets in both versions. They don't even really mention them.

    All that built-in Starting Content distinguishes Carrara from the rest of the pack, IMHO. ~pablo

  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

    PabloTempe_1d60a0e1f7 said:

    This version on this computer is not Pro, it is just 8.5.

    That may be the problem, the presets are NOT in the Carrara 8.5 Native Content folder. They must be in the Pro content.

    Daz should just include the presets in both versions. They don't even really mention them.

     

    They actually do mention them in the product description, but they mention them in both versions. surprise

    The main issue is, why are there two versions?  It might have been useful in the past, but not today.  It just causes unnecessary confusion.

    If you are correct about the missing content, then file a ticket with Daz, explain to them the issue, and ask them to refund your purchase and apply it to 8.5 Pro instead.

    Carrara 8.5 pro is 70% off today.  I've seen it cheaper, but that is still not a bad deal.

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,051
    edited March 2023

    Carrara 8 Native Content has a lot of items in it - I suspect that is what you loaded from Carrara 7. Shown is just a small sampling of the content.

    Carrara 8 Content 1.png
    3719 x 1023 - 719K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited March 2023

    Luck be a Lassie

     

    Since there is no Carrara Challenge over St. Patrick's Day, I instead entered this in the pinup contest at Rendo.  This particular render has assets from both Daz and Rendo.

    They changed a bunch of their longstanding contest rules.  One change is that you now get up to 5 votes.  Another is that they allow you to post your entries elsewhere "on social media," I suppose to drum up interest in their contest.

    Voting ends on March 14 (tomorrow), so if you want to vote you will need to hurry.  Over 700 entries, so it may be a daunting task. smiley

    I also noticed another contest, this time at Renderhub.  Cash prizes!  I'm strictly entering Daz assets on that one.

    And of course, all done in Carrara.

    Luck be a Lassie.png
    1800 x 1116 - 3M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,901

    yay.. waving the Carrara flag.. yes

    I didn't know of the one at Rendo, I'll see if I can beat the cut off time and put an image in.. couldn't find yours over there to vote on .. gottta lnk? wink

  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,901
    edited March 2023

    Good Luck @UnifiedBrain

    I missed the deadline to enter ... surprise

    Eliza.png
    900 x 675 - 641K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited March 2023

    Stezza said:

    yay.. waving the Carrara flag.. yes

    I didn't know of the one at Rendo, I'll see if I can beat the cut off time and put an image in.. couldn't find yours over there to vote on .. gottta lnk? wink

    Stezza, thanks for your support.  My entry is here.  With so many entries, it can be very hard to find. I know. smiley

    Yes, too late for Rendo, but the robot contest at Renderhub is more "serious" anyway.  You have until March 30th to enter that one.  Plenty of time. yes

    Great pose and camera angle on the above render, btw. 

    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,901
    edited March 2023

    yep, the bank had closed devil

    voted for yours keeping the Carrara flag waving yes

    Bank Closed.png
    800 x 600 - 767K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • moonglowmoonglow Posts: 44

    Yikes! Is one of the characters floating into the sky? surprise

    Stezza said:

    yep, the bank had closed devil

    voted for yours keeping the Carrara flag waving yes

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,051

    Diomede said:

    Steve K said:

     

    Entry in a "Pinup" Contest.  Carrara, of course.

    image

    Great to see, @SteveK .  Like the variation on Memphis Belle.  yes

    Voted !!!

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,051

    UnifiedBrain said:

    Luck be a Lassie

     

    Since there is no Carrara Challenge over St. Patrick's Day, I instead entered this in the pinup contest at Rendo.  This particular render has assets from both Daz and Rendo.

    They changed a bunch of their longstanding contest rules.  One change is that you now get up to 5 votes.  Another is that they allow you to post your entries elsewhere "on social media," I suppose to drum up interest in their contest.

    Voting ends on March 14 (tomorrow), so if you want to vote you will need to hurry.  Over 700 entries, so it may be a daunting task. smiley

    I also noticed another contest, this time at Renderhub.  Cash prizes!  I'm strictly entering Daz assets on that one.

    And of course, all done in Carrara.

    Voted !!!

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,051

    Stezza said:

    Good Luck @UnifiedBrain

    I missed the deadline to enter ... surprise

    Nice render !!!

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,051

    moonglow said:

    Yikes! Is one of the characters floating into the sky? surprise

    If you are referring to the Bird with a Guitar I think you will find it's on the Awning roof !!!

  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

    Stezza said:

    yep, the bank had closed devil

    voted for yours keeping the Carrara flag waving yes

    Another timely commentary. :)  Love the piggy bank.

    Thanks to you and Bunyip for voting.  I wish I had thought to mention the Rendo contest earlier, so everyone could have entered.

  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,205

    Bunyip02 said:

    Diomede said:

    Steve K said:

     

    Entry in a "Pinup" Contest.  Carrara, of course.

    image

    Great to see, @SteveK .  Like the variation on Memphis Belle.  yes

    Voted !!!

    Thanks!  That's quite a compliment given the large number of entries - ~700?

Sign In or Register to comment.