Carrara Challenge X - “Past hopes and present nostalgia” WIP Thread is Open

Comments

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Trying out a layout for my picture.

Not quite sure if I got it yet. All fresh ideas are more than welcome.

And I still have to create the flying car of tomorrow.
    And maybe a family, that are enjoying their private garden..

Doc3.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 438K
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Thank you EP, I still learn something.
    Varsel, I don't know exactly which is your message in this composition but perhaps that an atmosphere around the earth would be nice (pollution, Ozon' hole ?).
    Nice render in all the case !

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:

The light doesn't look quite right. Maybe it's not bright enough or maybe it's not warm enough. I can't quite decide. Maybe add a touch of yellow to the sunlight to see if that helps. The moon also needs to be brighter I think.

As to layout, it may be cool to try and get a closer perspective on the space stations. That may help with the scale of the earth as well. I'll post an example of what I mean in a bit.

edited December 1969

Varsel said:

Now please keep in mind, this is only a suggestion. It's not really meant for the angle or framing on the space stations, but rather to convey the idea that you could get closer to them and show off the neat details you put into them. I'm too close I think in my example. I do think that however you decide to frame it, the Earth should be very prominent to better suggest the planetary scale.

earth_and_house.jpg
    1200 x 680 - 565K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited July 2014

Varsel, great job so far.

Just like EP suggests, for an image like this I think you need two aspects.
    The first is the stage - which you have produced wonderfully.

The second is the human element. That's what draws us in.

One way to is to think of near and far (and maybe middle distance) .
    The far is the stage.
    The near could be an ordinary family having a picnic on the lawn (their little boy flying a kite in still air? a guy mowing the lawn?) while in the background you give us clues as to their environment.

This way you would be giving us the 'telling detail" - which helps us suspend our disbelief. (see Hemingway's writing for examples of the telling detail)

Another idea: you could have a guy in a space suit outside the dome, looking at at the family having their picnic and in the distance the edge of the dome and the Earth, with orbitting space ships) . That would give you near, middle distance and far.

Lots of ways to go, eh?

Post edited by Headwax on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited December 1969

Yeah Varsel... Very cool!

edited December 1969

You trying to make me look loquacious Dart? :)

Here's part of my process. I painted and modelled the gas cylinders with Carrara, also the back rest which you cant see. I kit bashed the rest of the jet rotor pack. The clothes are for M3 but I used xdresser to refit them then took them into poser to reweight them properly. The pok ethrough will be removed in post. ETC.The distant buildings are urban sprawl also kit bashed. The K4 model is Mech 4's neaderthal kid or similar. I'll p ost a pre post render soon and the real details in the finals thread. Cheese :) The image is supposed to be retro.

AdventuresOfMonkeyBoy.jpg
    2000 x 1900 - 1022K
    monkeybojetcylindersy.jpg
    1725 x 1270 - 330K
    edited July 2014

here's the untouched render for the billboard and the post worked one
    and the larger unretouched render

monkeyboyfinnie.jpg
    2000 x 1510 - 824K
    Falsegods.jpg
    1989 x 2000 - 595K
    Doc18.jpg
    1940 x 2000 - 449K
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

Thank you.
    You have given me something to work with.
    now its back to the drawing board, and try to incorporate your suggestions.

I really appreciate it. I am a better modeller than artist, as all help is needed.

edited December 1969

Here's a different perspective test render.
    But now I see that the Dome base might need some more details - or greebles.

Doc2.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 439K
    edited July 2014

I like the angle on that much better!

This is just a quick hack job, but I just set up a color gradient in the shader and under Pattern Functions I used Squares set to Brick mode. Then I copied and pasted it into the bump channel. That may be a quick way to get a look. You could also put it in the Highlight channel.

Picture_2.png
    845 x 772 - 249K
    Picture_1.png
    830 x 541 - 74K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Thanks evilproducer. That is one way. But then I'll have to UV-map it.
    But that might give the impression of welded plates. Will investigate.

Something different. A start for a flying car of the future.
    I found a site with a lot of brochures of good old cars. A lot of inspiration there. http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com

Doc1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 329K
    edited December 1969

My example was a simple spline object, so just Carrara's internal mapping. Your vertex model should use Carrara's interpretation by default as well. It night look okay, or it might not. ;-)

Nice start to the car by the way!

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Great detail in your picture Heady!

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Great detail in your picture Heady!

thanks evil :)

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

Just a very gentle (if not subtle) reminder. ;-)
    There is only 3 days left before submission close

@silene: Nice entry you have there. As I told you before, it's full of emotion.

@headwax: I love what you're getting at. I'm impatient to see your final submission.

@varsel & DUDU: you already have nice renders. I just hope you'll have a submission up to your expectations before Monday :-)

edited December 1969

thanks Philemo :) here we go ;)

AdventuresOfMonkeyBoycroppe.jpg
    2000 x 1509 - 353K
    edited December 1969

Hi Philippe,
    I have to go away a few days (38 years of marriage…), but I will post that this evening.
    Superb, Head Wax !

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited July 2014

head wax said:

That is amazing... I just love it and want to look at all the minutiae in the scene!

There are so many really uber-cool entries this time. I wish I'd been able to give more time to mine...maybe next time. I stand in awe at the ability and imagination of all the Carrara creators here to design to a theme given, and just for fun and to share.

So I am very grateful just to have these opportunities and the helpful comments and instructions/tuts for better modelling are truly heartfelt..

Sorry to go on, but I love all these entries and the time taken to explain how things were done...it's so easy to admire every single one, but going to be really hard to choose!

Bon anniversaire, DUDU! 38 années... formidable!

;-) :-P xx Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited December 1969

Hi Philippe,
    I have to go away a few days (38 years of marriage…), but I will post that this evening.
    Superb, Head Wax !

Hardly seems a day of over 40! ;-)

edited December 1969

Thank You .
    The medal will be even heavier to carry !

edited December 1969

So here is my Car of the Future.
    It's heavily influenced by Dodge '57 and Dodge '59.

So instead of someone in a spacesuit, there will be a spaceship on the outside

Doc3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 306K
  • DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

SileneUK said:
    head wax said:

That is amazing... I just love it and want to look at all the minutiae in the scene!

There are so many really uber-cool entries this time. I wish I'd been able to give more time to mine...maybe next time. I stand in awe at the ability and imagination of all the Carrara creators here to design to a theme given, and just for fun and to share.

So I am very grateful just to have these opportunities and the helpful comments and instructions/tuts for better modelling are truly heartfelt..

Sorry to go on, but I love all these entries and the time taken to explain how things were done...it's so easy to admire every single one, but going to be really hard to choose!

Bon anniversaire, DUDU! 38 années... formidable!

;-) :-P xx Silene

My sentiments exactly. Really curious to see how the voting pans out with these great entries

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

I have added a circle of spotlights behind the bicycle and pointing at the riders, as per EvilProducer's suggestions. Thanks, EP, definitely an improvement.

Otherwise, I am trying to mix different types of renders to get a pulp cover look, rather than photoreal. I rendered out several variations of photoreal, toon, and non-photoreal. I have been experimenting with using the multichannel mixers to combine several images (rather than in photoshop).

I would prefer to use the non-photo renderer to try to get the look I want, but it won't recognize the leaves on trees, and several other basic components.

I will post the component renders in the next thread.

7_post_pulp_cover.jpg
    960 x 1280 - 111K
    edited December 1969

Here is the a look at the shader tree and the component renders. The opacity mask can be used to limit where each image has an effect, in addition to intensity. Therefore, the non-[hotoreal has only very limited contribution to the image in the previous post.

shader_for_mixer.JPG
    666 x 598 - 53K
    et_paint_wip.jpg
    1230 x 1640 - 153K
    4_et_real_1.jpg
    1230 x 1640 - 1008K
    4_et_toon_a.jpg
    1230 x 1640 - 214K
    edited July 2014

Have you tried the toon effect in the scene's effects tab?

Edited to add that it is under the scene's filter tab.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    So here is my Car of the Future.
    It's heavily influenced by Dodge '57 and Dodge '59.

So instead of someone in a spacesuit, there will be a spaceship on the outside

That car looks great! You and Kashyyk should get together and design some retro-future cars and see if DAZ wants to sell them. Make them Carrara only to encourage sales of Carrara! ;-)

edited December 1969

Have you tried the toon effect in the scene's effects tab?

Yes, one of the renders above uses the toon effect, but I minimized the line effect so it wouldn't look like a toon. I don't want it to look toon-ish, but neither do i want photoreal. Ideally, the paint-stroke of non-photoreal would be best, but it misses too many components.

edited December 1969

I see it now.

I know you want to use Carrara, but I like depth passes in Photoshop used as a layer mask on a duplicate layer, then Poster or some other filter on the layer below.

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited July 2014

Philemo said:
    Just a very gentle (if not subtle) reminder. ;-)
    There is only 3 days left before submission close

I'm so sorry, but I have to sit out this round, even with your generous provision. I came back to a lot of workload at my day job, and discovered that the course I needed to take for it starts in early July, not early August as I thought, so it's been work plus lectures and homework for me all week :(. I am sorry. I am spending my 3-day weekend writing documentation and doing programming homework assignments.

But I am very excited to see all the amazing entries and WIP's. Voting for this round will also be hard work. Best of luck everybody!

Post edited by Antara on