Carrara Challenge X - “Past hopes and present nostalgia” WIP Thread is Open

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

Just amazing! Great job, EP. I am blown away,

Andy, that flyer is definitely on topic. I was supposed to have my own jetpack by now. Silene, wonderful approach! That is going to be a great image. As others have mentioned, very emotive. Then Kashyyyk drops in that fantastic car. And I still am blown away by Dudu and Varsel. Fantastic job, everybody. Voting is going to be a B!(@h.

And I was worried that few people were posting? Silly me. Great theme, Philemo. You inspired some fantastic WIPs.

OK, per this month's challenge, I have used the plant editor to make a custom sapling. I will post some images of the custom leaf mesh. I used a multichallenge mixer and color gradients for the shader of the leaf and the trunk. The burlap bag holding the roots is a simple vertex object with the bump creating the material. The trees on the right were also customized.

leaf_scene.jpg
    640 x 480 - 35K
    leaf_render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 10K
    leaf_mesh.JPG
    774 x 630 - 70K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Andy, that flyer is definitely on topic. I was supposed to have my own jetpack by now. Silene, wonderful approach! That is going to be a great image. As others have mentioned, very emotive. Then Kashyyyk drops in that fantastic car. And I still am blown away by Dudu and Varsel. Fantastic job, everybody. Voting is going to be a B!(@h.

And I was worried that few people were posting? Silly me. Great theme, Philemo. You inspired some fantastic WIPs.

OK, per this month's challenge, I have used the plant editor to make a custom sapling. I will post some images of the custom leaf mesh. I used a multichallenge mixer and color gradients for the shader of the leaf and the trunk. The burlap bag holding the roots is a simple vertex object with the bump creating the material. The trees on the right were also customized.

That little robot is great, Diomede! I can't wait to see how this one comes together!

I know you're still in the early stages, so if you already have plans to this stuff, just ignore me!

Something to consider, and perhaps you already have, is to add some volumetric clouds, not as clouds as such, but to suggest an atmosphere and moisture in the greenhouse space dome. The other thing to think about perhaps is changing the color of the dome's superstructure to something lighter so it is more obvious against the starry background.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited June 2014

thanks silene :), ep, et diomede64
    the genesis (if you pardon the biblical pun) of the image is 2001 a space oddity ;)

diomede64

the scene is heartwarming, the robot with the plant, especially like the vertex leaf!

on layers I always render shadow, object index and coverage , ( and depth most of the time) the second two are the most helpful to me

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    thanks silene :), ep, et diomede64
    the genesis (if you pardon the biblical pun) of the image is 2001 a space oddity ;)

diomede64

the scene is heartwarming, the robot with the plant, especially like the vertex leaf!

on layers I always render shadow, object index and coverage , ( and depth most of the time) the second two are the most helpful to me

I will have to try those. Right now I'm just trying to adjust to my new glasses. I needed bi-focals for sure, but decided to try tri-focals, as opposed to line-less, which I understand can cause distortion in the periphery, but it is hard getting used to the different areas of focus... So far I've only had them about 3 or four hours, so we'll see how it goes. I may just go to bi-focals...

edited December 1969

just get single vision for the monitor - much better :)
    sometimes old readers will do the trick

I have multifocals and a 27 inch monitor = disaster :)

bifocals will make your neck work too hard unless you have them set high - then you will fall down the stairs....

edited December 1969

I know you're still in the early stages, so if you already have plans to this stuff, just ignore me!

Something to consider, and perhaps you already have, is to add some volumetric clouds, not as clouds as such, but to suggest an atmosphere and moisture in the greenhouse space dome. The other thing to think about perhaps is changing the color of the dome's superstructure to something lighter so it is more obvious against the starry background.

Really appreciate the suggestions, EP. I think I found a useful approach for the dome (I added a very small numerical value in the glow channel). I will have to experiment a lot more with the volumetric cloud. I've never gotten the hang of those. It is an excellent suggestion but I don't know what I am doing.

post_ep_wip.jpg
    640 x 480 - 21K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Really appreciate the suggestions, EP. I think I found a useful approach for the dome (I added a very small numerical value in the glow channel). I will have to experiment a lot more with the volumetric cloud. I've never gotten the hang of those. It is an excellent suggestion but I don't know what I am doing.

The mechanics aren't really the important thing, it's the results. It looks like there is more of a sense of distance, which suggests the scale of the dome, which is a good thing. ;-)

edited June 2014

If anybody wants the Date Palm thingy I concocted using Carrara's Palm Tree preset, a vertex "petal" and a surface replicator, here's the link to the file on Dropbox:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7370483/Date-Palm-thingy.car.zip

The vertex petal is invisible and is roughly centered at the base of the trunk. If you want to adjust the orientation of the petals, just rotate or tilt the main petal object and all the replicated ones will follow. The hot point for the petal object is located at the bottom of the petal.

Date_Palm_Promo.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 300K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

bifocals will make your neck work too hard unless you have them set high - then you will fall down the stairs....

I have bifocals custom set for "work" (they're useless for "out and about") - the distance portion is set for my 27" monitor (arm fully extended + a CD jewel case), and the near portion is set to my reading prescription. So I can have a book open on my desk and not have to keep changing glasses between the book and the screen. My regular varifocals would mean pointing my head at the ceiling and looking down the bridge of my nose!

I'm very prone to eyestrain headaches if I have the wrong glasses on.

edited June 2014

Great idea . Vocational spec are the go ;)

Ep that is very kind of you to share your work!

Post edited by Headwax on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited June 2014

Tim_A said:
    head wax said:

I have bifocals custom set for "work" (they're useless for "out and about") - the distance portion is set for my 27" monitor (arm fully extended + a CD jewel case), and the near portion is set to my reading prescription. So I can have a book open on my desk and not have to keep changing glasses between the book and the screen. My regular varifocals would mean pointing my head at the ceiling and looking down the bridge of my nose!

I'm very prone to eyestrain headaches if I have the wrong glasses on.

Me, too.... I have a prescription for reading glasses that are for about 18 in to the monitor, even though it's a big one like yours. AND I have the anti-glare lenses as well. I lost my glasses once and had to use ready readers and my eyes were dried out and sore in about a half hour without the anti-glare. I try to look away at the TV news when working just to blink enough to keep eyeballs moist!

Get a granny chain to hang them around your neck as I was sticking the on my head and the arms were stretching too much.

Just got separate glasses for driving with the anti-glare. Got rid of those halos around oncoming headlights at last!

Don't need glasses the rest of the time....yet.

I love all these entries... hope to do more a bit later on today. Thanks to all for the encouragement!

xx :) Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Thats looking great so far. Just saw the movie for the first time not too long ago on Netflix!
    edited December 1969

My second image is done, here is the unedited and depth map images i used to create my final image

wipcaddy_sparce_Depth.jpg
    1040 x 780 - 120K
    wipcaddy_sparce.jpg
    1040 x 780 - 355K
    edited December 1969

Forgot to post earlier, here are my shader settings for the multi channel mixer for the body and chrome.

zUntitled-3.jpg
    776 x 658 - 132K
    zUntitled-2.jpg
    701 x 565 - 104K
    zUntitled-1.jpg
    699 x 572 - 121K
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    My second image is done, here is the unedited and depth map images i used to create my final image

that's beautiful work kashyyyk, very impressive the whole scene

edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:

This is a really great scene!

edited December 1969

Thanks, head wax & evilproducer

edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    Thanks, head wax & evilproducer

I think in honor of Blazing Saddles we should call head wax, Headly, Headly LaMarr!

edited December 1969

ha ha :) I have been called worse - head lice, arm wax, etc,

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:

I agree with EP and Headwax, it's a very nice render indeed.
    Nice composition, a lot of details bringing life to it, Yes it's very nice.
    edited December 1969

I think this will be my final iteration for this image.

I combined the volume pass with the depth pass which I used to add a slight DOF.

I also used the depth pass and the magic wand selector to do a rough knock out of the two palm trees on the left side of the image, which I then used to create an adjustment layer using Hue and Saturation. I used it to de-saturate the leaf color on the palms. Thanks for the suggestion Antara! :)

I used the clone tool to clean up collision artifacts with the ferns and boulders.

The middle image is a screen capture of the depth pass combined with the volume pass.

The top image is the non-postworked image, straight out of Carrara and converted to .jpg for the forum.

The bottom image has the postwork described above.

P.S. To the forum software, thanks so much for not posting them in the order in which they were uploaded! :roll:

EP, you're simply incredible. It's really one of the best renders I've seen in this forum for a long time.
    (I said, ONE of the best, so, dear other talented artist, please do not fell offended, you were included in the other bests ;-) )
    edited December 1969

SileneUK said:
    Thanks EP and Stezza AND Varsel!

I don't know if the tear is visible enough... I wanted to show his hand on the cane. AND I wanted to change the background, but am not there yet.

I made the headstones as spline crosses to clone a cemetery in Normandy and tweaked the white marble (took the pink out). They still sort of glow a lot even though they are very white. Like at the link below.

http://www.travelfranceonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Normandy-Coleville-sur-mer-American-cemetery.jpg

THEN, doh? I found that the crosses are in the American Cemetery! So am trying to decide to leave or change. If I change, I'd have to do some kind of inscription. Hmmmm. They will still be very white as I think they clean them all the time.

I know I need to work on lighting more. But first I have to fix the M4 business suit. It doesn't like fitting at the cuffs on Genesis2 very well.The whit cuffs go all weird at the wrists. I made his cane out of a tree trunk in Plant Editor, but not much of it shows.

Varsel, I used your vertex models and changed the maps to British medals... I think it came out OK as I copied the medal array from an actual old veteran paratrooper who went to the 70th D-Day commemorations, which is what this is about.

Still lots to do..... but will have to do it as time allows if I can. In the meantime....back to work.

Cheers for all the help and suggestions!

xxx :) Silene

Silene,
    You've succeeded in giving this render a lot of emotions.
    The B&W background is a sound idea. I add a nice feeling to the picture.
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Ep, that's a an amazing render, congrats! Best one I have sen for a while
    From me an extrapolation of my last ... Sort of gone off topic , ah well

Not so sure you've gone off topic.
    Back pack fliers were one of the sci-fi golden age classics.
    And the reference to 2001 is a nice touch.

edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Some people lives in cooperative housings, while other prefer to keep a distance to their neighbours.

I'm just hoping that I have enough time to finish this.
    Being summer, and living in a town that is famous for it's annual rainfall, and there as been no rain for weeks, it is difficult to find any excuse to spend time at the computer.

I'm sure you're not alone is hoping you'll be able to finish it. At least, speaking for myself, I'm impatient to see the final result.
    edited December 1969

[quote author="diomede64" date="1403916695"

Nice result in the end.
    Did you eventually use the volumetric cloud?

edited June 2014

Philemo said:
    [quote author="diomede64" date="1403916695"

Nice result in the end.

In my last WIP and in my final entry, I did use two volumetric clouds. I tried to keep them low in the scene near the ground to make it look more like humidity than a cloud or fog (it is a spacecraft after all). Great suggestion, not so great execution. :red: I think I ended up blurring the starfield without giving a convincing sense of haze near the ground. I did learn a new (to me) use for clouds that can work on for the future, which is the point of these challenges for me.

With the time remaining, I may try to use construct a second entry with the ET model that I made.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited June 2014

diomede64 said:
    Philemo said:
    Really appreciate the suggestions, EP. I think I found a useful approach for the dome (I added a very small numerical value in the glow channel). I will have to experiment a lot more with the volumetric cloud. I've never gotten the hang of those. It is an excellent suggestion but I don't know what I am doing. Nice result in the end.

In my last WIP and in my final entry, I did use two volumetric clouds. I tried to keep them low in the scene near the ground to make it look more like humidity than a cloud or fog (it is a spacecraft after all). Great suggestion, not so great execution. :red: I think I ended up blurring the starfield without giving a convincing sense of haze near the ground. I did learn a new (to me) use for clouds that can work on for the future, which is the point of these challenges for me.

With the time remaining, I may try to use construct a second entry with the ET model that I made.

I wondered where you were going to use! It would be really cool if you did have the time to put something together! Even if it's not by deadline, it would still be nice to see the concept!

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    I think this will be my final iteration for this image.

I combined the volume pass with the depth pass which I used to add a slight DOF.

I also used the depth pass and the magic wand selector to do a rough knock out of the two palm trees on the left side of the image, which I then used to create an adjustment layer using Hue and Saturation. I used it to de-saturate the leaf color on the palms. Thanks for the suggestion Antara! :)

I used the clone tool to clean up collision artifacts with the ferns and boulders.

The middle image is a screen capture of the depth pass combined with the volume pass.

The top image is the non-postworked image, straight out of Carrara and converted to .jpg for the forum.

The bottom image has the postwork described above.

P.S. To the forum software, thanks so much for not posting them in the order in which they were uploaded! :roll:

EP, you're simply incredible. It's really one of the best renders I've seen in this forum for a long time.
    (I said, ONE of the best, so, dear other talented artist, please do not fell offended, you were included in the other bests ;-) )

Thanks!

I agree with the last part you wrote! There are some really, really amazing renders, and so many different styles and unique visions that are presented during these challenges. I am always amazed.

This is why I like Carrara and the tools that it has: If you want whimiscal you can do whimsical, if you want hyper-real, you can do hyper real. If you want to use pre-made content, you can do that. If you don't want to use pre-made content you don't have to. Then there's the ability to mash it up and combine all or some of those things and styles, and Carrara has the tools to allow your imagination to run wild!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Here my project (almost) final…
    I could improve in PS, but I prefer not to use a postwork for this challenge.
    I don't know what I should still improve, gives me your opinion !
    I believe that I will make one second entry with the image of Jimi Hendrix…

Woodstock_v13.jpg
    2000 x 1200 - 2M
  • DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

This is pretty cool, but I agree with you that Jimi Hendricks deserves a stand alone entry cuz all the coolness he had in that previous render you posted is lost to the crowd here, that would make two cool entries from you which sure won't hurt! ;o) Wondering if a night time shot with time spent tweaking the lights for (psychedelic) effect would add an interesting aura to the scene.......