Carrara Challenge X - “Past hopes and present nostalgia” WIP Thread is Open

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited December 1969

Here my project (almost) final…
    I could improve in PS, but I prefer not to use a postwork for this challenge.
    I don't know what I should still improve, gives me your opinion !
    I believe that I will make one second entry with the image of Jimi Hendrix…

Wonderful! Your crowd looks great. You used more than enough figures to prevent obvious patterns. You might also consider using the new Sparrowhawke shader randomizer to get even more variation for t-shirts, etc. There was a thread on it here.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/41088/

You don't need to use the shader randomizer, but there is still time if you want to make more changes. This is going to be an excellent entry.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited June 2014

Thank you for your remarks.
    Perhaps I thought of adding a little smoke to give some effect to the lightings, and make various colors of spots could also be interesting.
    It's a light effect of only one spot which cleared up all the scene, before that was darker.
    Diomède, I used Shader randomizer for the cases at the back of the scene, but it would be necessary that I create truths instances for the characters.
    I had seen a tuto (of PhilW?) in which he uses groups there, I will seek to find it.
    But I will see if I still have time too…:)

Post edited by DUDU on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited June 2014

Thank you for your remarks.
    Perhaps I thought of adding a little smoke to give some effect to the lightings, and make various colors of spots could also be interesting.
    It's a light effect of only one spot which cleared up all the scene, before that was darker.
    Diomède, I used Shader randomizer for the cases at the back of the scene, but it would be necessary that I create truths instances for the characters.
    I had seen a tuto (of PhilW?) in which he uses groups there, I will seek to find it.
    But I will see if I still have time too…:)

DUDU...that is so cool, it really, erm... ROCKS! I live less than an hour from [Glasto]. Well done! It's so colourful. Been watching it on the TV news and you have definitely caught the atmosphere.

:) xx Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited December 1969

Thank you,
    It is because it's in England that I would like to add a little fog…:-)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

DUDU, I know that you're thinking like an animator. You've got a great establishing shot f this were an animation! I think moving the camera closer to the stage with just maybe the front row of people visible would help a great deal to focus the eye on the really cool character work that you did, while till establishing the time frame.

edited June 2014

Thank you,

Nah...that would be the "fug" from all the funny cigarettes in the air! ;) Silene

ETA, I remember Woodstock.... no one would have had so many clothes on!

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited December 1969

DUDU, I know that you're thinking like an animator. You've got a great establishing shot f this were an animation! I think moving the camera closer to the stage with just maybe the front row of people visible would help a great deal to focus the eye on the really cool character work that you did, while till establishing the time frame.

Yes, it's an option…
    I was divided between the general atmosphere and the focus on the orchestra, here, I have make a compromise.
    In the memories of this time, it's especially the crowd which was typical but you are right and it's therefore I also will place an image of the soloist alone.
    It is for that I prefer animation, we can make footages as much that we wants without having to synthesize all in an image…

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Here my project (almost) final…
    I could improve in PS, but I prefer not to use a postwork for this challenge.
    I don't know what I should still improve, gives me your opinion !
    I believe that I will make one second entry with the image of Jimi Hendrix…

Excellent. I would think a different camera angle too, like down at crowd level looking up at the stage from the side looking up and across, a few rows back, you could get most of the musicians in the frame. Definitely add fog around the lights..
    edited December 1969

SileneUK said:
    Thank you,

Nah...that would be the "fug" from all the funny cigarettes in the air! ;) Silene

ETA, I remember Woodstock.... no one would have had so many clothes on!

Yes, I know but... Chohole wasn't there !:-)

edited December 1969

Back to my usual silly renders. I remember in an interview that S Speilberg said that when he made E.T. that he wanted an optimistic movie about alien encounters, rather than some of the standard archetypes.

What if E.T. were made in the 1950s, or remade today? Thoughts?

One thing I know for sure, even if it remained an optimistic movie, a monster would be carrying an attractive woman. Based on pulp covers and movie posters, I'm sure aliens like to carry hot babes. Here is ET carrying Aiko 6, who is wearing a morphed version of the garden party dress by Xena and Sarsa. They are being chased by the male medical muscle figure from Poser.

50s carhop? Setting today with a lot of cell phones? vs The Creature from the Black Lagoon? vs Zombies? Godzilla? Maybe one E.T. should be a vampire, another a werewolf, and a teenager must choose between them? Should E.T. be carrying the hot babe, or should another monster/alien or mad scientist? Maybe a hot babe should be carrying E.T.?

I might not put something together by the 7th, but I will try.

ET_Sillyness.jpg
    480 x 640 - 83K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited June 2014

DUDU_00001 beautiful atmospheric. Perhaps you need some main foreground figures? You've set the scene, now you could introduce some actors?

diomede64 not so silly 1

!

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

I'm really enjoying see the other WIPs, some have given me some ideas so hope to be able try them. Still have lighting to work on, and am not happy with the volumetric cloud... new to me. It's not misty-rising enough. And I need to age the old vet a bit more and tidy his suit jacket.

Here's my new headstones. Another spline object created in Illustrator and brought in. Then I made a front texture map from a real headstone at Bayeaux Cemetery for the British engraving.

Am not sure if I am going to keep the poppies where they are, I might change them to wreaths for some of the headstones. Then put real trees/shrubs to divide the background.

There's really a garden in between the stones in their rows. See link below. Guess for ease of lawn care. Not sure if I have the time or skill to make the garden the way they have it. I also took licence that the paratroopers from D-Day are all buried together so I didn't have to make a variety of headstones...it was hard to find clear photos of some of those badges.

http://www.cwgc.org/dbImage.ashx?id=4179

:) Silene

Poppy3.png
    1000 x 700 - 876K
    edited December 1969

Hi silene nice work. Here are my suggestions - shadows will help the graves sit better. The vet 's biceps should be thicker than his forearm. The distant images should have some colour variation maybe bluish ? Scatter the poppies through the foreground, make sure your ambient light is set to less than 5 percent, an open hand will be wide enough to cover the face, maybe he could be leaning on the stick which would mean his shoulders were tilted random thoughts only :)

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

To try to get a qualified plant editor object into my scene... Here's the International Space Stasion (ISS) mark. IV.

I had to convert it into a vertex object, so I could get the branches to equal length.

Doc1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 305K
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Hi silene nice work. Here are my suggestions - shadows will help the graves sit better. The vet 's biceps should be thicker than his forearm. The distant images should have some colour variation maybe bluish ? Scatter the poppies through the foreground, make sure your ambient light is set to less than 5 percent, an open hand will be wide enough to cover the face, maybe he could be leaning on the stick which would mean his shoulders were tilted random thoughts only :)

Hi HW, Thanks for that... I turn off shadows when composing...must put them on now! And need to fix grass around headstones, too.

Don't your down-under servicemen salute like that? I thought they did as well. I tried having him stooped a bit, might go back to that. The suit is for M4 and does not fit Genesis 2 very well, the morphs are off the scale in the thousands. I tried to re-enter them by hand to normal limited. But I thnk I am going to have to do some hand-tailoring, especially at the cuffs and to fix the arms you pointed out.

I am still struggling with his face... maybe should give up and work on the rest of the scene.

Thanks for the suggestions!

xx :) Silene

edited December 1969

face looks good :)

varsel, very ingenious!

edited December 1969

@Varsel, I would never have thought that was a plant model. Great job.
    @Silene, coming along nicely.

OK, now I have a basic concept for my E.T. entry. I'm thinking along the lines of the dime novels and pulp paperbacks. What if E.T. had been included in "Amazing Stories" and similar publications? It would look something like this....

Credits include the BMX bike, Ringo's shaders for Aiko6, and Jenny hair by SWAM. The moon is from a pic of the moon placed in the color channel and the glow channel.

ET_cover_WIP.jpg
    1230 x 1640 - 177K
    edited December 1969

SileneUK said:
    I'm really enjoying see the other WIPs, some have given me some ideas so hope to be able try them. Still have lighting to work on, and am not happy with the volumetric cloud... new to me. It's not misty-rising enough. And I need to age the old vet a bit more and tidy his suit jacket.

Here's my new headstones. Another spline object created in Illustrator and brought in. Then I made a front texture map from a real headstone at Bayeaux Cemetery for the British engraving.

Am not sure if I am going to keep the poppies where they are, I might change them to wreaths for some of the headstones. Then put real trees/shrubs to divide the background.

There's really a garden in between the stones in their rows. See link below. Guess for ease of lawn care. Not sure if I have the time or skill to make the garden the way they have it. I also took licence that the paratroopers from D-Day are all buried together so I didn't have to make a variety of headstones...it was hard to find clear photos of some of those badges.

http://www.cwgc.org/dbImage.ashx?id=4179

:) Silene

Nice scene, I really like the background with the paratroopers

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

OK, now I have a basic concept for my E.T. entry. I'm thinking along the lines of the dime novels and pulp paperbacks. What if E.T. had been included in "Amazing Stories" and similar publications? It would look something like this....

Credits include the BMX bike, Ringo's shaders for Aiko6, and Jenny hair by SWAM. The moon is from a pic of the moon placed in the color channel and the glow channel.

Amazing stories is a great idea, just they usually have the main focus of the covers large, they almost fill it up. You could almost go right in on et and the bike in front of the moon, and then add atmospherics around the sides, top and bottom.

I keep amazing stories and such cover images on my Hard drive, I like to try to replicate them using carrara.

AMZDec48.jpg
    325 x 430 - 42K
    02AmazingStories_1949-11_100.jpg
    293 x 400 - 37K
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    diomede64 said:

Amazing stories is a great idea, just they usually have the main focus of the covers large, they almost fill it up. You could almost go right in on et and the bike in front of the moon, and then add atmospherics around the sides, top and bottom.

I keep amazing stories and such cover images on my Hard drive, I like to try to replicate them using carrara.

Thanks for posting the covers. Very good suggestion regarding the zoom level. My previous post was designed to be closer to the 80s poster for the movie. But, you are right, I am trying to do a cover, not a poster.

Open to more suggestions.

Now to go back to the drawing board (3D Paint) and try to improve my E.T. figure, especially if he is closer to the camera!

et_close_up_wip.jpg
    1230 x 1640 - 211K
    et--the-extra-terrestrial-movie-poster-1982-1020141470.jpg
    580 x 859 - 109K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    kashyyyk said:
    diomede64 said:

Thanks for posting the covers. Very good suggestion regarding the zoom level. My previous post was designed to be closer to the 80s poster for the movie. But, you are right, I am trying to do a cover, not a poster.

Open to more suggestions.

Now to go back to the drawing board (3D Paint) and try to improve my E.T. figure, especially if he is closer to the camera!
    Looks good! I would suggest a rim light or halo light on either side of E.T. and his captive.

Here's an example with a simple sphere. I set one spotlight, adjusted the color and applied a point at modifier. The I duplicated it. I had one on the left and one on the right. It looked okay, but it didn't take into account the halo effect on the top or bottom, so I duplicated the light two more times. As you can see, I didn't really do anything special to spotlights.

Halo-light-rig.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 587K
    Picture_4.png
    253 x 403 - 18K
    Picture_3.png
    253 x 558 - 39K
    Picture_2.png
    897 x 659 - 79K
    Picture_1.png
    792 x 585 - 84K
    edited July 2014

nice tut ep!

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge
    , !
    Cheers !

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

I would suggest a rim light or halo light on either side of E.T. and his captive.

Here's an example with a simple sphere. I set one spotlight, adjusted the color and applied a point at modifier. The I duplicated it. I had one on the left and one on the right. It looked okay, but it didn't take into account the halo effect on the top or bottom, so I duplicated the light two more times. As you can see, I didn't really do anything special to spotlights.

Thanks for the tips and the screen shots. Great explanation. This really helps me.

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    nice tut ep!

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge
    , !
    Cheers !

You're just glad that you're not the only one that makes typos! ;-)

edited December 1969

typing on an ipad is like eating rice with your elbows ..... :)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    typing on an ipad is like eating rice with your elbows ..... :)

That's why I eat rice with my toes and type with my elbows.

edited December 1969

I have just seen the news…
    I am not sure to be able to take part in this challenge, they say in the news that a small country as Belgium, overcame a nation of 51 countries with the football.
    I'm very sorry.

edited December 1969

I have just seen the news…
    I am not sure to be able to take part in this challenge, they say in the news that a small country as Belgium, overcame a nation of 51 countries with the football.
    I'm very sorry.

Do you mean 50 states? We don't count Canada- Yet... (Insert ominous music)

Well, if it was real football, then I might be upset. ;-P

Seriously though, congratulations. Make sure you stop partying long enough to finish your entry!

edited December 1969

I always thought that Alaska stays the 51th…

edited December 1969

I always thought that Alaska stays the 51th…

Nope. Alaska and Hawaii were both made states in 1959, but Alaska was first and then Hawaii, so Hawaii is the 50th state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_and_territories_of_the_United_States

I live in Wisconsin, near the bottom of the alphabetical list of states.