Artbreeder and Prototyping

2»

Comments

• https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/6088047653289984?edit=albums#gallery=album3328506&page=1&image=1207247

(For some reason, I couldn't actually attach the file to this post.)

Yes, I take Artbreeder portraits, then I use Face Transfer along the way to making Daz characters out of them. Here's a new render I just did for this post based on two of my best creations to date. These two characters are the result of taking an Artbreeder portrait and using Face Transfer + Face Transfer Shapes to create a character on a stock G8.1 figure. After that was a lengthy process of tweaking them in Daz with various products. These skins are purely what Face Transfer creates from the source image - I think that means they're based on stock G8 mat files. Will they ever be as good as commercial characters? No, but these characters are good enough for what I'm doing. My problem is that I can't consistently create good ones, so I keep hoping to find a community of like-minded artists. In the nine months since I've first started learning Daz, I've found that someone out here on the community has run into a problem I'm having, and there's a known solution - one needs only to ask (or often just search, to find a post where someone else already asked it). I am really grateful for this community.

Not to go into a long, boring autobiography, I'm a fiction writer who wandered into Daz because I wanted to create inspirational art for the stories I'm working on. It started almost two years ago when I discovered Artbreeder - a total gamechanger for someone like me with no art skills. I heard about FaceGen, which led me to try Daz. (I recently started using Face Transfer instead of FaceGen.) So I am here specifically for the purpose of creating 3D characters from 2D images to use to create story-related art. 

Anyone else out there? Let's talk and share.

RE: ToS. That's a separate and interesting discussion. I had glanced at it long enough to confirm that I could use the images I created as needed, so off I went starting in May 2020, creating a giant collection of 2D Artbreeder characters. (It's one of the reasons I want my Daz characters to be based entirely on the portrait - I "knew" these major characters for a year or more, churning out a vast amount of written material inspired by them, before I started creating 3D characters based on them.)

Since every image I have is the result of countless breedings of other people's images, I don't mind if mine get used by others - in fact, I've often taken a portrait someone else made from one of mine, and crossed it back with another of mine to create a new one for me. As to crediting the source, I am entirely respectful of other people's work, but I am not sure how one would reasonably attribute a source image which bears little to no resemblance to my final character. For example, this woman is the result of six generations of changes I made to someone else's portrait of a much-younger girl, and her 3D version is not a perfect likeness even to that Artbreeder image of mine, six generations away from someone else's creation. Again, though - a worthy discussion.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited February 2022

paulawp (marahzen) said:

RE: ToS. That's a separate and interesting discussion. I had glanced at it long enough to confirm that I could use the images I created as needed, so off I went starting in May 2020, creating a giant collection of 2D Artbreeder characters. (It's one of the reasons I want my Daz characters to be based entirely on the portrait - I "knew" these major characters for a year or more, churning out a vast amount of written material inspired by them, before I started creating 3D characters based on them.)

Since every image I have is the result of countless breedings of other people's images, I don't mind if mine get used by others - in fact, I've often taken a portrait someone else made from one of mine, and crossed it back with another of mine to create a new one for me. As to crediting the source, I am entirely respectful of other people's work, but I am not sure how one would reasonably attribute a source image which bears little to no resemblance to my final character. For example, this woman is the result of six generations of changes I made to someone else's portrait of a much-younger girl, and her 3D version is not a perfect likeness even to that Artbreeder image of mine, six generations away from someone else's creation. Again, though - a worthy discussion.

What would worry me is that yes, you can do whatever you want with the images you create on Artbreeder...but so can anyone else. I've never used Artbreeder myself, so I don't know exactly what it can do...but for example, if I take one of my renders and then create a separate piece of artwork with Artbreeder using that render as one of the base images...the output then can be used by anybody who wants it. (At least that is how I interpret their ToS.) And that is what I have issue with. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • MelissaGT: Here's the quick, practical overview. Screenshot "MainPage" shows an earlier version of the portrait that I used to create the woman in my render. Anyone could take this image and do what they want. At the bottom of the screen shot, you can see three versions I made from this portrait as well as two that "satchelshah" made from her. In fact, I just checked and I see that "satchelshah" went to town with these, creating a multigenerational army of figures descended from mine. 

With an image like this, you can "Edit-Genes" by twiddling with the controls you see in this screen shot. You could let the Artbreeder create variants at random with "Children". Or you could cross this image with any other image - yours or someone else's - with Crossbreed.

The screenshot "Tree" - which shows newest to oldest, from top to bottom - shows the origin of my woman character, which is typical of almost all of my Artbreeder characters. I saw something that I could start with in the "dwargs" girl, and started doing "Children" or "Edit-Genes" modifications to get to the older, imposing, stern woman that I envisioned for this character. (You can tell that I did one of those two options because if you crossbreed, you get a tree, of two or more source images, like what "dwargs" did to create the image I started with. )

I personally would not feel comfortable putting live photos (of me or real people I know), or art that I created, into Artbreeder; eg, things I wouldn't want running loose for free on the Internet. I've created hundreds of images, but have only uploaded a handful. Rather, I'm using it as a tool to create source images that go on a one-way trip to Daz.

MainPage.JPG
    1791 x 930 - 156K
    Tree.JPG
    1000 x 847 - 63K
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited February 2022

paulawp (marahzen) said:

MelissaGT: Here's the quick, practical overview. Screenshot "MainPage" shows an earlier version of the portrait that I used to create the woman in my render. Anyone could take this image and do what they want. At the bottom of the screen shot, you can see three versions I made from this portrait as well as two that "satchelshah" made from her. In fact, I just checked and I see that "satchelshah" went to town with these, creating a multigenerational army of figures descended from mine. 

With an image like this, you can "Edit-Genes" by twiddling with the controls you see in this screen shot. You could let the Artbreeder create variants at random with "Children". Or you could cross this image with any other image - yours or someone else's - with Crossbreed.

The screenshot "Tree" - which shows newest to oldest, from top to bottom - shows the origin of my woman character, which is typical of almost all of my Artbreeder characters. I saw something that I could start with in the "dwargs" girl, and started doing "Children" or "Edit-Genes" modifications to get to the older, imposing, stern woman that I envisioned for this character. (You can tell that I did one of those two options because if you crossbreed, you get a tree, of two or more source images, like what "dwargs" did to create the image I started with. )

I personally would not feel comfortable putting live photos (of me or real people I know), or art that I created, into Artbreeder; eg, things I wouldn't want running loose for free on the Internet. I've created hundreds of images, but have only uploaded a handful. Rather, I'm using it as a tool to create source images that go on a one-way trip to Daz.

Gotcha...so it's not an actual end-output for you in terms of art. That's what I wouldn't touch. No way would I want any of my finished products running around free for use. I think a lot of folks get misled by these sites...sure they're cool and that's the draw, but definitely be wary of copyright ownership and terms of use.  

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • Yep, I am cautious about online things, too. Gotta be careful about not just sourcing, but posting. 

But anyway, I totally appreciate you taking a moment to chat. I am awed by the work that you and others are doing in the realm of photorealism. I expect that what Face Transfer creates is not good enough for that high-end stuff. But I'm OK with that; I can do perfectly useful inspirational illustrations with these characters, if I could just work out the bugs; and even at my sorta-newbie level, I still want to push and do the best I can. When I happened to run across this thread last night, I decided to try bringing it back from the dead hoping to find others in a similar spot. If I have anything of value to offer about what I've learned along the way, I'll gladly share, but if there's no real interest, I'll just quietly keep doing what I do and hopefully continue to get better.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409
    edited February 2022

As I see it, use of artbreeder is fairly simple. You either get more uploads if you wait several days, or you pay a monthly fee (about 10$). This fee not only gives you more uploads and more frames for videos, but you can use private mood. These are pictures no one but you can see, so no one but you is able to use them. Doesn't matter that they are CC, nobody but you will find them.
    So, you get unique artwork.
    I use artbreeder for nature background, it makes formidable hills, mountains, and skies, And I do characters, which are perfect for some type of book-covers.

These pictures are from my very first tries when I didn't know about private mood, so these are usable for everybody. But I have a lot of later ones which are private.
    Just a pity that artbreeder offers only heads, not full figures (except for comic line-art-characters)

Grafik1.JPG
    3374 x 1412 - 951K
    Post edited by cherpenbeck on
  • Hi cherpenbeck. What I'm doing is taking the head portraits from Artbreeder and creating Daz characters from them. (You can also do it with images from sites like thispersondoesnotexist.com, or just real photos.) Since Face Transfer - also FaceGen and presumably HeadShop, which I don't have experience using - only transfers the face anyway, the rest of the body is not needed. I'm hoping to find a group of others who are creating characters that way, or want to.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

Have to try that. There are some characters I made with artbreeder which would make stunning book covers.

• So in short, I take a source image like Random Guy, which I created in Artbreeder this afternoon as a quick example, and create a Daz character out of him, as in Random Guy A and B. I only spent a few minutes on him - for a real character, I spend a lot more time with morphs, skin, etc. - but he's a start. (I also suspect he'd be better if I'd used a 2048x2048 "high-res" download than the 512x512 image you get from Artbreeder otherwise - but I only get five of those a month as someone with a free account.) I'm hoping to find more people who are creating characters in this way. 

RandomGuy.JPG
    1053 x 600 - 67K
    RandomGuyA.jpg
    1623 x 1298 - 624K
    RandomGuyB.jpg
    1623 x 1298 - 634K
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

I did a few, it's a great way to get some unique morphs. It's pretty straightforward, I used the face transfer shapes product as well. This is an older render of mine @paulawp :