Artbreeder and Prototyping

Is anyone using Artbreeder to create characters?

https://www.daz3d.com/prototyping-unlimited-character-development-for-daz-studio-This workflow looks really interesting.

Have any of you used his tutorials? I have hearing issues and can't use tutorials with no CC option where they play music behind them. Are his tutorials easy to follow?

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Is anyone using Artbreeder to create characters?

https://www.daz3d.com/prototyping-unlimited-character-development-for-daz-studio-This workflow looks really interesting.

Have any of you used his tutorials? I have hearing issues and can't use tutorials with no CC option where they play music behind them. Are his tutorials easy to follow?

I have no experience with Artbreeder.  There are a number of free videos on Youtube you can check out to see if it's something you want to explore.

The tutorials at Digital Art Live vary in quality, depending on the presenter.   This is the kind of product that should come with a brief example video clip.  In your case, I would purchase it if it really interests you, and return it if you find it difficult to follow.  

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,324

Knew nothing about Artbreeder, so clicked through the link.  And Had a look at the license TOS

Page 1of 4ARTBREEDERTERMS OF USELast Updated: November 20, 2019These terms of use (“Terms of Use”)are an agreement between you and Morphogen, Inc. (“Morphogen”). These Terms of Useaffect your legal rights and obligations. Please read them carefully.If you have any other questions about these Terms of Use, please contact us at: [email protected]•By using the Artbreederwebsiteor any associated services(“Artbreeder”), you agree to be bound bythese Terms of Use. If you do not agree to be bound by all of these Terms of Use, do not access or use Artbreeder.Age Restrictions•You must be at least 13 years old to use Artbreeder.Image

Ownershipand Intellectual Property•

Each Artbreeder image is owned by the user who createdthatimage.

•You agree to license any images you create on Artbreederunder the Creative Commons CC0license. This effectively releases any image you create on Artbreeder into the public domain. Such images may be used by anyone for any purpose, with or without attribution.If you use another user’s image, please consider providing attribution in the form of a link to the image’s lineage page.

Your Account

•To use some of Artbreeder’s features, you must create an account. You are solely responsible for theactivity that occurs on your account, and you must keep your account password secure

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

That TOS is why I never signed up. I do hope people read that before jumping in.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817

...and my free goes never worked so no intention of tossing money at them

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    barbult said:

That TOS is why I never signed up. I do hope people read that before jumping in.

agreed!

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited July 2020
    Linwelly said:
    barbult said:

agreed!

Why? I'm not sure I understand what in the TOS is considered bad? Is it just because the creations automatically become CC?

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    Linwelly said:
    barbult said:

agreed!

Why? I'm not sure I understand what in the TOS is considered bad? Is it just because the creations automatically become CC?

yes, I need my images to be mine and not something everybody else has the right to use. I've been giving images to CC eg photographs for wikipedia, others I'm offering on shutterstock which I could 't do with anything that comes out of artbreeder. So it's something I want to decide on a case by case basis, not generalized.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    Linwelly said:
    barbult said:

agreed!

That's hardly a "just".  That's taking the ownership of your work away forever and not giving you anything for it. 

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    Cybersox said:
    Linwelly said:
    barbult said:

agreed!

That's hardly a "just".  That's taking the ownership of your work away forever and not giving you anything for it. 

I guess I was misunderstanding what Artbreeder was - I thought it was just mixing images that were already in the public domain.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895

From the ArtBreeder FAQ

https://www.artbreeder.com/support

[quote]

• resolution on the face.
    • Who owns the images?
      All images are public domain (CC0) and may be used for commercial purposes. It is strongly suggested that you cite the Artbreeder image URL when sharing something that strongly resembles an Artbreeder image. Private mode is available for subscribers to ensure the images are not used by others.
    • How does private mode work?
      Images made in private mode are not seen or used by anyone at any time. If you end your subscription the images will stay private forever.
    • Are uploads for other image categories available?

[/quote]

Using Private mode maybe the way to circumvent some of your concerns.

Meh, I wouldn't get too worked up about who owns the images.  Its value mostly seems mostly to be as a tool for prototyping reference images and generating ideas for use in other works.  I mean it's a "free-to-use" thing, and like with Facebook, if you're not the customer, you're the product.

Sorry Servin but I'm not sure what your point is? Do you think using Artbeeder is a good idea or bad idea?

Thanks kindly

kenmo said:

Sorry Servin but I'm not sure what your point is? Do you think using Artbeeder is a good idea or bad idea?

Thanks kindly

It's great, for what it is. 

Again I have no idea on what you are saying. Are you using ArtBreeder? Do you think it is a good idea or bad idea?

Can you not answer without using vague responses which are subject to interpretation?

Personally I think ArtBreeder is a good tool to have in your arsenal.

Cheers & many thanks.

In the DAZ store there is a tutorial for sale by the developer of ArtBreeder. It's about using ArtBreeder for prototyping characters along with Photoshop. So IF the developer has a tutorial for sale HERE, it is obviously OK to use ArtBreeder in your DAZ creations.

https://www.daz3d.com/artbreeder--generating-new-characters-with-artificial-intelligence

has aboyne purchased this tutorial?

kenmo said:

Again I have no idea on what you are saying. Are you using ArtBreeder? Do you think it is a good idea or bad idea?

Can you not answer without using vague responses which are subject to interpretation?

Personally I think ArtBreeder is a good tool to have in your arsenal.

Cheers & many thanks.

I don't use Artbreeder.  I think it's a good tool for prototyping faces, which does not mean that I think it's a good tool for creating final artworks, but as a tool for developing ideas to be translated into final artworks.  I also like that it's free.  Since it has a private mode, I think it's a good idea for people who want to develop stuff to use, particularly faces.  If I were a PA who makes characters, I would definitely use it to help generate ideas for new products.

I never saw this free option surprise

just a couple of goes I couldn't download then a request for payment options to do more

I've been using the free version for quite some time. No problems or solicitations for payment yet.

maybe it's free for Americans? wouldn't be the first tome I encountered such a limitation 

I'm not American. I'm Canadian.

edited March 2021

Ah I see if you use only on site images its free, your own uploads are limited and that's what I couldn't get to process and use up all my goes

it never processes and then if I keep trying I have none left and it wants to charge me

that one never did and I am sick of creating new gmail accounts to try

it has pricing here https://www.artbreeder.com/pricing

I would rather buy DAZ morphs

Capture.JPG
    1920 x 1040 - 95K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

OK I did finally get that one to upload

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

WendyLuvsCatz said:

OK I did finally get that one to upload

Nice! It seems like more fun to upload your own pictures. 

I had never heard of Art Breeder before, but it's really interesting. I played with it a little earlier and am looking forward to trying it out more. 

It's a great time waster for sure....

I created this today using ArtBreeder, ArtRage and final adjustments using Photoshop & Lightroom.

Artbreeder 04 The Hobo {2021}=KRM02.jpg
    1100 x 1100 - 593K
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,308
    edited March 2021

So, I went ahead and signed up for Artbreeder because I can get A LOT of mileage out of it!  I like to feed my renders to it and see what happens. Yeah, I'm burning quite a few hours on it, but am inspired, intrigued and having a blast!  It is CRAZY to see some of the results - and while not render-perfect images of people, they fall SOLIDLY in the realm of Art.

Here are some examples.

My original render is on the left and the image(s) to the right are ArtBreeder cross-generated from it. My biggest WOOHOO moment is from the hair! OMG - I'd LOVE to be able to get hair like that in a render!

Orken_ArtBreeder-Specimens_005a_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    2093 x 938 - 439K
    Berenice_ArtBreeder_Specimens_005a_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    1920 x 840 - 287K
    Penny_ArtBreeder-Specimens_005a_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    1920 x 1104 - 298K
    Post edited by Gogger on

Thanks for sharing. I too believe ArtBreeder is an awesome tool to have access to.

Another example of my use of Artbreeder to jump start a 2D painting using Photoshop CC 2021 and ArtRage 6.

Artbreeder 06 The Fearful Child {2021}=KRM02.jpg
    1266 x 1400 - 732K
  • I know that this thread is old ... Is anyone out there still interested in talking about using Artbreeder ultimately to make characters?

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited February 2022

How would you use it to make characters? Take the produced images and then use them with FaceTransfer? 

This is also an issue for me in the ToS - 

Image Ownership and Intellectual Property

• Each Artbreeder image is owned by the user who created that image.

• You agree to license any images you create on Artbreeder under the Creative Commons CC0 license. This effectively releases any image you create on Artbreeder into the public domain. Such images may be used by anyone for any purpose, with or without attribution. If you use another user’s image, please consider providing attribution in the form of a link to the image’s lineage page.

Post edited by MelissaGT on