My attempt to create clothes in Blender using SinckleYeld´s tutorial

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

You mean pose the Genesis figure in Daz Studio and export it to Blender with the pose? And I suppose I should also save that pose in Daz Studio since i won´t be able to make the shoes fit the default not posed genesis figure, right? And then when I create the shoes and import them to Daz Studio, I suppose there should be a way to save them with that pose so when I load them next time to genesis figure without any pose, the feet will automatically position themselves to pose for the shoe, right? As for weight maps, I have no idea what to do with these, I need to look into that.

Yes. You can save the pose either in the folder with the shoes (give it its own pose folder, or put it in materials) or in Pose/YourName/YourProductName.

You can also ensure that the feet pose automatically with the shoes by using a wearables preset.

Pose Genesis. No morphs.

Load the shoes and conform them.

File--Save As--Wearable(s) Preset. You can then put a preset in the main folder called "Load With Foot Pose" or the like, and check "Include Target Pose" with it.

---

Weight mapping/bone edit:

After your item is rigged with transfer utility and saved, reload it from the library. Activate the bone tool. It looks like a bone with a bandaid across it.

In the scene, the bones of the shoes should appear.

Left-click on a toe bone, then right-click and choose "Delete--Delete Bone" from the menu that comes up. Repeat for all of the toe bones, so that the leg bone chain ends in the foot.

Right-click again and choose Memorize--Memorize Figure Rigging (VERY IMPORTANT).

Test bending again. If deleting the toe bones got rid of their weight maps, you are good to go; the shoes should now bend only with the foot, and you didn't have to do any painting with the brushes. ;) Resave to library.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot!!! I hope to get to the shoes back soon, recently I have been creating a swimsuit and I´m quite happy with the modeling I did but I´m having some texturing problems which I am trying to solve atm so when they are gone, I will post a picture of the swimsuit here : )

edited December 1969

One problem with the swimsuit texture is solved so I started the shoes yesterday however, I was wondering, to make the second shoe I should probably use mirror modifier after the first one is done, right? As I guess this is the fastest way to make the second shoe.

edited December 1969

One problem with the swimsuit texture is solved so I started the shoes yesterday however, I was wondering, to make the second shoe I should probably use mirror modifier after the first one is done, right? As I guess this is the fastest way to make the second shoe.

That's right. You can split them using P key in edit mode if you end up wanting to rig them as separate pieces. Most vendors leave them together; I do this and do a "prop" morph for leaving them looking discarded.

edited December 1969

I think my latest model has too many polygons, does face count = polygon count?

edited December 1969

I think my latest model has too many polygons, does face count = polygon count?

Yes, it does.

edited December 1969

24877 is a bit too much for a swimsuit I guess, so the details will have to be added via displacement map, right?

edited December 1969

24877 is a bit too much for a swimsuit I guess, so the details will have to be added via displacement map, right?

Usually that's preferable, yes. I can't say no one ever submits items like that because there are PA items that are that dense.

edited December 1969

I would leave it at that count but I´m having a problem when applying the bump map in Daz Studio, the fabric pattern is stretched in some parts of the item which I think is due to the unwrapped UV map being too complicated so that´s why I´m thinking about making an easier version and using displacement map but the more complicated he item is the easier it is to position it exactly on the body of Genesis in Blender.

However, does it need to be 100% positioned on the body? Like no minor overlapping anywhere on the body for it to properly work in Daz Studio? Or does transfer utility tool handle some of the minor penetrations of the item through the skin?

edited December 1969

I would leave it at that count but I´m having a problem when applying the bump map in Daz Studio, the fabric pattern is stretched in some parts of the item which I think is due to the unwrapped UV map being too complicated so that´s why I´m thinking about making an easier version and using displacement map but the more complicated he item is the easier it is to position it exactly on the body of Genesis in Blender.

However, does it need to be 100% positioned on the body? Like no minor overlapping anywhere on the body for it to properly work in Daz Studio? Or does transfer utility tool handle some of the minor penetrations of the item through the skin?

Sorry, I got dropped from the notification list somehow!

Stretching is because of the UV map, and how many polygons there are should not affect that.

There needs not to be any overlap. Collision modifier will fake some of that, but not enough for it to look right if it's clipping in default pose on the unmorphed figure.

edited December 1969

No overlap on the UV map to prevent stretching or did u mean no overlap on the figure? So it´s best to position the clothing as precisely as I can on the figure, right?

I posted a picture of the UV map, I´ve been told it´s not good at all and I should try to unwrap it again at lower poly version. Let me know what you think.

Untitled_2.jpg
    598 x 555 - 155K
    edited December 1969

There should be no overlap between the clothing and the figure.

There should also be no overlap between sections of the UV map, but that's not your issue. It looks like you didn't post any seams before you unwrapped, is that the case?

And yes, it's going to be much easier to fix at low than high poly.

edited December 1969

The outfit is symmetrical, I have seams on the sides and one in between the legs so 3 seams in total in that mesh but still the material is stretching.

edited December 1969

The outfit is symmetrical, I have seams on the sides and one in between the legs so 3 seams in total in that mesh but still the material is stretching.

When creating a dress, I place seams in the following places:

1. Up each side.

2. Up the middle back, if it's a larger garment (I don't think it's needed with yours, probably).

3. Across each shoulder top, to ensure full separation between front and back.

That's just a broad rule of thumb; every outfit is different. But it looks like you are missing #3, and front and back aren't being separated at the shoulders?

edited December 1969

Theres like a string that goes around the shoulders and the neck on the back. Should i place a seam there?

edited December 1969

I made a new UV map and the stretching problem on the base of the clothing is gone now. However, I´m experiencing problems on the details of the swimsuit.

Picture 1 - Very weird mapping here. Any idea what caused this? My guesses are either this area is somehow not part of the UV map or something with the wrong direction of he faces?

Picture 2 - Again, weird mapping + stretch. The stretch could be cause by the area being quite small while the texture image being quite big for this area but why did it only map the beginning of the string? No idea.

Picture 3 - This area is entirely mapped yet it´s kinda weird, maybe the size of the picture or the direction of faces? I have no idea.

Picture 4 - I think this is a seam I placed on the item before unwrapping it, any way how to prevent the seam being visible on the item and have it there only for the purpose of unwrapping?

swimsuit_problems.jpg
    1400 x 600 - 225K
    edited December 1969

1 -3. I can't tell without seeing the UV of that specific item and area. I would guess you did not seam the entire side of the belt there?
    4. You can use a tiling texture, or you can use a tiling version of the texture to paint over it using texture paint in Blender. I'm not going into that here because I've got a tutorial for it at dA already.

edited December 1969

I think I found the problem. When I select that area the UV window doesnt show anything even though I unwrapped the entire object.
    I will definitely look into the texture painting tutorial!! great! And I wanted to ask, does Daz Studio recognize the materials/textures that are created in Blender using for example the cycles render node editor? Because it has plenty of shaders and I don´t think that Daz Studio has all of these as well so if I create a material/texture using the Cycles Render options, then export it with the item and import it to daz Studio, will Daz run it properly with all the different shaders and so on?

Or should I stick to Blender Render or create the textures outside of Blender in 2D image editor and then create the materials using Daz Studio tools?

nouv.jpg
    907 x 553 - 168K
    edited December 1969

I don't believe Blender exports its shaders with obj files, or that they can transfer to DS at the present time. You have to just make textures and set up the shaders using DS Surfaces Tab (and/or Shader Mixer, if you want to get into that one).

edited December 1969

I see, what about rigging that is done in Blender? Will it work in Daz Studio as well or is it better to rig the object in Daz Studio only?

edited December 1969

I see, what about rigging that is done in Blender? Will it work in Daz Studio as well or is it better to rig the object in Daz Studio only?

Nope. Rigging for DS can only be done in DS at the present time.

You can export an obj from blender with face groups, if you want to use them in figure setup. This is quicker when rigging totally from scratch, but that's a pretty involved process.

edited December 1969

Right now I need to just rig furniture pieces, like making the drawers to open or the door, however today I was trying to create my first shader so didn´t have time to check out some rigging stuff but will do that tomorrow. I also got back to the swimsuit problem and I duplicated the string, saved it as an obj and opened in blender again and it unwrapped, no idea why won´t it unwrap when I select the whole swimsuit.

edited December 1969

Right now I need to just rig furniture pieces, like making the drawers to open or the door, however today I was trying to create my first shader so didn´t have time to check out some rigging stuff but will do that tomorrow. I also got back to the swimsuit problem and I duplicated the string, saved it as an obj and opened in blender again and it unwrapped, no idea why won´t it unwrap when I select the whole swimsuit.

When in doubt, more seams. The UV image editor does not like higher polygon counts and does not handle them well automatically. You might have to use Live Unwrap from the UV menu and pin and move bits around the UV image editor screen (pin by pressing p, alt-p undoes selected pins).

Making furniture figures is definitely facilitated by first making vertex groups in Blender (it's another right-panel edit mode dialog under the tab with the three-vertex triangle picture). Select all the verts of a drawer with ctrl+L and then click the plus sign next to the vertex group editor, type in a name, and choose "Assign."

After you've done that, and exported the obj, you will need to text-edit the obj in something like Notepad++ to get rid of unwanted gibberish groups with names like "group_material_material.001." Find the gibberish groups by searching g space and going down the resulting list of groups. A simple find/replace where you put in a blank space for the replace item and the gibberish group name for the find item works well for this. I hope some future update of Blender will remove this annoying tendency in the obj exporter, but for now we have to work around it.

Once it is exported and fixed up, start a Figure Setup tab in DAZ Studio. Right-click in the left panel and choose Add Geometry. Navigate to your fixed obj. It will appear in the left panel showing all of its groups, so you can tell if you missed any gibberish ones and need to start over. Drag it to the right panel to create a hierarchy. This is where you drag groups onto each other to ensure the bones it creates are parented properly. I can't recall off the top of my head the best joint rotation for drawers or doors; check those in your runtime to see what they use (YZX? ZXY?).

When you've got the hierarchy set up, click the "create" button at the bottom of the panel, and it should build the item in your 3d window. You can use the bone editor to check and adjust your bones. Its icon looks like a bone with a bandaid across it. Make sure that you right-click and choose memorize--memorize figure rigging before you save to the library.

You will probably also want to change the bend, twist, side-side names to "Drawer Open" etc. in Parameters, and check "hidden" for those you do not want to be available (no one needs drawers to rotate side to side, for instance).

edited December 1969

Thanks a lot for the explanation I will try to rig a simple desk I modeled and see if I can do it. Also, what do you think is better? To rig the item first or create the maps for the objects first and then rig it after its mapped?

edited December 1969

Thanks a lot for the explanation I will try to rig a simple desk I modeled and see if I can do it. Also, what do you think is better? To rig the item first or create the maps for the objects first and then rig it after its mapped?

Always do the UV before exporting. Whether you have textures finished before that point is a matter of personal taste; I normally do things in this order.

-Base model in Blender.
    -Base UV and materials in Blender.
    -Vert groups in Blender, if needed.
    -Export obj.
    -Text-edit obj.
    -Figure Setup in DAZ Studio, generate figure, tweak, memorize rigging.
    -Save to library.
    -Reload from library.
    -Create texture and shader using Surface Tab, GIMP and saved-out UV template. If needed, paint displacement using a multirez sculpt in Blender or in Zbrush (very rarely in 3dCoat). If needed, paint diffuse in Zbrush, 3dCoat or Blender using brushes.
    -Save first material to library. Resave object to library with first material on it.

edited December 1969

Thanks very much again! I finally fixed the texture bump map problem with the swimsuit today, I made a lower poly version of the object, separated it to a few parts and each of them has its own UV maps and its working out much better than unwrapping the entire object. Right now I am trying to get the diffuse and bump maps right and then I will need to create a proper displacement map. Also, how do I know if an object in Daz Studio has a shader on it?

edited December 1969

Thanks very much again! I finally fixed the texture bump map problem with the swimsuit today, I made a lower poly version of the object, separated it to a few parts and each of them has its own UV maps and its working out much better than unwrapping the entire object. Right now I am trying to get the diffuse and bump maps right and then I will need to create a proper displacement map. Also, how do I know if an object in Daz Studio has a shader on it?

It always has a shader on it. This is what distinguishes the diffuse, bump, etc. settings from just the fact of a diffuse and bump map existing. The default Surfaces tab shaders are simple compared to UberSurface 2, SSS, etc., and of course there are shaders sold that are tiling texture presets.

When you save a material, you are saving it by default with the default shader.

edited December 1969

I see so it always has a shader on it but I can add a texture to it via the diffuse map right? Like I could use a wood texture in the diffuse window to create a piece of wooden furniture or I could try to create/use a tiling shader?

edited December 1969

I see so it always has a shader on it but I can add a texture to it via the diffuse map right? Like I could use a wood texture in the diffuse window to create a piece of wooden furniture or I could try to create/use a tiling shader?

Yes.

edited December 1969

I think I´ll stick to maps right now, creating my own shaders seems like a complicated field. I hope to learn it one day : )