My attempt to create clothes in Blender using SinckleYeld´s tutorial

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

There does not appear to be a UV map.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861
    edited December 1969

You mean I should have unwrapped the item after creating the new material and before baking?

edited December 1969

You mean I should have unwrapped the item after creating the new material and before baking?

Yes. It can't bake without a UV map to bake to. Make sure you put seams in logical places first.

edited December 1969

I just found out that the clothes are so multiresolutioned (is that even a word? : D ) that i can no longer tell the faces, edges and vertices in edit mode : D Isnt it better if I make the seams before I apply the multiresolution?

edited December 1969

I just found out that the clothes are so multiresolutioned (is that even a word? : D ) that i can no longer tell the faces, edges and vertices in edit mode : D Isnt it better if I make the seams before I apply the multiresolution?

Yes, ideally you would do the UV map on the low-rez version. How did you end up with a version with that many verts? Subsurf x1 should only multiply the low-rez faces by 4.

edited December 1969

I think I went up with the settings in multiresolution modifier a bit too high, so I should go up by only a few in the multiresolution modifier and when I think I got the right numbers I should then do the seams and UV unwrap, then bake, right?

edited December 1969

I think I went up with the settings in multiresolution modifier a bit too high, so I should go up by only a few in the multiresolution modifier and when I think I got the right numbers I should then do the seams and UV unwrap, then bake, right?

Multiresolution is not good as a base meshing tool. The most you should use for that normally is the subsurface modifier at a max of 2 (depending on exactly how dense your low-rez was to start with).

Ideally you want it to be about as dense as the body it's over before subdivision is applied to both in DS. This means that, when you look at both in Blender's wireframe (z), their polys should look around the same size. Many vendors do not follow this guideline, but it's what is recommended for optimal bending.

Multirez is for baking displacement, ambient occlusion and normals from hi-rez to low-rez geometry. As such, it shouldn't come into play until you're done with the base mesh, the materials, the UV map, and have a functioning .duf rig in DAZ Studio. No part of the multirez version of the mesh itself is ever meant to be exported in a normal Blender-to-DS workflow, just the maps you make from it. For this reason I usually do the hirez displacement sculpt on a duplicate (shift D, m to move to a new layer) of the original when the original's final resolution is settled.

edited December 1969

I have the clothing in .duf file in Daz Studio and I am in the 3rd part of the tutorial now where there´s a part about adding multires. modifier so I think I´m in the right place hopefully?

edited December 1969

I have the clothing in .duf file in Daz Studio and I am in the 3rd part of the tutorial now where there´s a part about adding multires. modifier so I think I´m in the right place hopefully?

Yes, but the UV map needed to be there before you made the .duf. The one you have in DS right now (if I understand you correctly?) has no UV map and you'll have to recreate it using the low-resolution version after you UV map it.

Then you're good to go to multirez and start sculpting and baking.

edited December 1969

By UV map do you mean some basic material assigned to the object? Because if so I have a basic shade of gray on the clothing. Or do you mean I should have UV unwrapped it before I made the .duf file?

edited December 1969

By UV map do you mean some basic material assigned to the object? Because if so I have a basic shade of gray on the clothing. Or do you mean I should have UV unwrapped it before I made the .duf file?

The second one.

edited December 1969

I see, thanks a lot, I didn´t think the exported .obj file from Blender would carry the unwrapped UV map data with it to Daz Studio. Okay, I will need to go over this one more time, at least it´s a good learning practice getting into 3D : )

edited December 1969

I see, thanks a lot, I didn´t think the exported .obj file from Blender would carry the unwrapped UV map data with it to Daz Studio. Okay, I will need to go over this one more time, at least it´s a good learning practice getting into 3D : )

Oh yes, objs can hold UV data. Good thing too, because there's no way to do that in DS and Blender actually has a very good UV mapping setup.

edited December 1969

Okay I think I baked it! But, I saved the image and the UV map of the clothing isnt in it, just the grey background, was that supposed to happen?

Picture 1 - Here is what it looks like after I baked it.

Picture 2 - here is the result what came out after I saved the image

jpgtankmap1.png
    1024 x 1024 - 29K
    baked01.jpg
    1891 x 987 - 369K
    edited December 1969

You've got the baking procedure correct. You're not getting any results right now because you don't have anything to bake to that UV.

Now make sure that:

1. You have the UV'd version at its present (medium) resolution set up as a .duf.
    2. You then set up a copy of it in Blender with multirez.
    3. Sculpt at multiresolution 4 or so if your computer can handle it. This is where you add the more detailed wrinkles etc. that you want to appear on the displacement. DO NOT apply the modifier.
    4. Set preview to 1 in the multiresolution modifier's settings while leaving the subdivision at 4.
    5. THEN bake displacement.

edited December 1969

Okay just need to make sure I am opening the right file for this, I am opening the .obj file that was loaded into Daz Studio and then turned into .duf file since I cannot open dufs in Blender, right?

edited December 1969

Okay just need to make sure I am opening the right file for this, I am opening the .obj file that was loaded into Daz Studio and then turned into .duf file since I cannot open dufs in Blender, right?

Yes, but you should either duplicate it and move it to a new layer or save as a new blend file to make sure you always have your original base geometry.

edited December 1969

I just added some random folds, not going into much detail as this shirt is for learning purposes only, this is the result I got now.

jpgtankmap2.png
    1024 x 1024 - 566K
    edited December 1969

I just added some random folds, not going into much detail as this shirt is for learning purposes only, this is the result I got now.

I'd run a blur over it in your 2D image editor before using it, but that is a valid displacement map, yep.

edited December 1969

Oh great! I will try to blur this thing and then I´m gonna jump into the next part of the tutorial tomorrow! Thank you very much for all your help and have a great day : )

edited December 1969

Oh great! I will try to blur this thing and then I´m gonna jump into the next part of the tutorial tomorrow! Thank you very much for all your help and have a great day : )

No problem! You too. :)

edited December 1969

So today I played with the materials, I tried to create a bump map from the baked image with Gimp using this tutorial http://www.tankedup-imaging.com/gimp/bumpmap2.html but I failed.

Also I want to make sure I understand this step right, the reason for creating these maps is to prevent the item from being too complex if I just sculpted the folds into it right away?

So when I load the diffuse map it shows where on the item the folds will be, then the bump map adds them and the displacement map....I didn´t really get what that does. : D

Also, I loaded the basic (I guess it´s the diffuse one) baked map into all three slots (Diffuse, Bump and Displacement) as it is the only map I have but in render, the folds are still lying flat and ugly : D I definitely did it wrong I know.

I hope I understand this step right because I was thinking to myself, why am I trying to create these bumped folds like this if I could just sculpt them to the item right away before saving it as .duf

Also, let´s say I have a texture of some fabric and I want the item to have that fabric on it with the blue color I have picked, where do I put the texture? Into diffuse slot instead of that baked map? And do I have to recolor the texture in an image editor program in order for it to have that color?

I hope I understand this part of the process right.

render.jpg
    1541 x 919 - 146K
    edited December 1969

The tutorial isn't really a good one for creating bump maps from clothes. Let me first explain a little more about what the channels are for (sorry, incoming wall of text). I really respect your determination to learn this, and I'm sorry I'm not better at explaining it.

Diffuse: This is for color and visible shading. 3Delight doesn't always create perfect shadows of folds on clothing; in fact many renderers don't. Sometimes we put baked shading from ambient occlusion into the diffuse for this reason, and it gives a more complex look to the final product. That is baked in the same place as displacement if you end up wanting to try it. This is the only thing that shows up in the preview window; bump shows up even in a render with only default lights; displacement requires you to add lights to the scene to appear (or that's how it used to be).

Bump: The bump map can create more visual complexity in a texture but it does not add literal geometry to the scene. That is, you can add a fabric weave here, but not a fold that stands up off the surface. You use this to add the pattern of the fabric in clothing, or low-level grunge in a gun or car, etc. It may be a desaturated version of the diffuse (Desaturate is under Colors in the GIMP), or if your diffuse is just a plain blue color it may be a tiling weave pattern you got from elsewhere (CGTextures is free if you sign up and has a lot of things that can make good tiling weaves; MorgueFile has a looser license but not as good of source files). The best of all is to use a camera and scanner to get your fabric weaves directly from clothes. This is what I do now on most clothing. The bump map should not contain the fabric's surface pattern or shading (if it has a print on it), only its weave.

Displacement: This is for making the folds appear on your item. Displacement CAN add literal geometry, so it can make your item more complex than its base geometry. In the displacement map gray is "zero," white is "up" and black is "down." In the surfaces tab, the minimum displacement is how far "down" the darker areas go and maximum is how far "up" the white areas go. Be careful using minimum displacement on clothes because it can cause them to clip down through the skin of a character. This is why it's good to have a character under your shirt when sculpting displacement, to make sure the final doesn't clip when displacement is rendered.

The purpose of having a higher resolution displacement sculpt is so that you can have a lower resolution base item. This won't make a huge difference with a simple tank top like the one pictured, but on more complex items it can be huge because you can show lots of folds, wrinkles, hems, etc. that would give you a 500,000 polygon item and instead end up with a 5000 polygon one that LOOKS like it has 500,000 polygons. This is important, because with a lot of those 500k items in a scene the user's computer gets bogged down, and that makes it harder for people to use your items if you release or sell them (and for you to do so even if it's just for you).

It's okay to look at the surface tab setting of products you have bought or freebies that you have to see how people handle these maps and what they look like.k

edited December 1969

I see, so diffuse adds more complex look to the item and makes the folds that are already sculpted there more visible in the render, bump is where the fabric texture goes, by the way, do I have to combine the fabric texture with the UV map that has the folds baked on it in image editor program? And displacement map is for giving the item complex look so your computer doesnt have a heart attack.

So the map from the 3rd part of the tutorial I was baking was displacement map and the purpose of the sculpting was that it was meant to make the item look complex while avoiding a high polygon count right?

I don´t mind long texts and you are being great and I appreciate every reply I can get from you as well as from others : )

edited December 1969

I see, so diffuse adds more complex look to the item and makes the folds that are already sculpted there more visible in the render, bump is where the fabric texture goes, by the way, do I have to combine the fabric texture with the UV map that has the folds baked on it in image editor program? And displacement map is for giving the item complex look so your computer doesnt have a heart attack.

So the map from the 3rd part of the tutorial I was baking was displacement map and the purpose of the sculpting was that it was meant to make the item look complex while avoiding a high polygon count right?

I don´t mind long texts and you are being great and I appreciate every reply I can get from you as well as from others : )

Very welcome!

Yes, basically that's right on all counts.

You can add the baked displacement folds over the diffuse map as a Soft Light layer in the GIMP if you wish. Some artists do that, some don't. Whether I do it depends on the individual project.

edited December 1969

I was trying to create a better piece of clothing using the cloth simulation in Blender but Blender probably thinks Im designing clothes for Lady gaga or something because what came out was beyond ugly : D Right now I´m up to a simple tight dress so I can have a decent piece of clothing where I can apply the materials, that tank top was pretty horrible so I hope I can get the dress done and I can try again with the materials : )

edited December 1969

Sculpting wrinkles or pulling them in edit mode with proportional editing (connected) usually gives better results than the cloth sim.

edited December 1969

Yep I think it might actually after what I´ve seen in cloth modifier : D I just need to get better at this, still getting to know all the brushes and figuring out the proportional editing, sometimes it works the way I want, sometimes it doesn´t.

edited December 1969

I didnt get to the materials today but I think I´m making a tiny bit of a progress when it comes to cloth creation, I plan to add some buttons or so to the outfit. And I finally learned how to use the mirror modifier, that was a struggle too! : D

skirtoutfit.jpg
    1157 x 831 - 74K
  • none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited June 2014

Nice work there Dave. Using the Mirror modifier means that you effectively do half the modelling, unless you want it asymmetric, which you could achieve by tweaking after you've applied the modifier. I'm building up to clothes but still a way off from trying as yet. Keep up the good work 'pathfinder'.

Post edited by none01ohone on