CARRARA CHALLENGE 53: Cartoons & Comics - WIP

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,713

The animation I was working on made me think of this thread, but alas... I remember that folks don't really care for Dart and Rosie renders around these parts - so I digress. I'll think of something before this is done, perhaps! ;)

Animations, as well as Graphic Novels, are welcome in the Challenge !

The animation I was working on made me think of this thread, but alas... I remember that folks don't really care for Dart and Rosie renders around these parts - so I digress. I'll think of something before this is done, perhaps! ;)

who said that?

I love your renders, always have

I am just not fond of tutorials by anyone

I only watch ones when I really need to find out something, yours are good BTW but they are still tutorials 

I utterly love your actual render videos! heart

We want Dart and Rosie ! heartyes

Stezza said:

Jack Kirby Tribute

The background is Urban Sprawl rendered in the Carrara Non-Photorealistic render engine.  Jack could do amazingly detailed foreground images, but he often left the background sketchy.  I wanted a sketchier look.

After loading the background onto a plane, I added the characters, which are Genesis (Hulk), F4 (The Thing), V4, K4, and M3 (the cops).  The police car is a Carrara native object.  I made the caption, and tweaked a bunch of things in the modeling room.

The Thing is in a classic Jack Kirby pose.  Just copying the pose - by itself - was an education.

In the beginning, I wasn't sure that I could get The Thing rock texture to look how I wanted.  But the Carrara shader room astounded me.  I didn't have to import any maps.  The texture is all Carrara.  Toon 3 was used for outlines, and GMIC (within Carrara) provided some basic image controls.

No postwork.

awesome... your fav settings & style certainly shine yes

I fiddled around with ChickenMan Lorenzo again with textures for his chicken supersuit and different set up using mmoirs city background and some free stuff from mortemvetus from RDNA when it was there.

Rubble

ChickenMan strikes again, love his apprentice !

Stezza said:

seen a post about Hagar...

so today I modeled an table, beer stein with froth, Viking outfit, shield, helmet, sword and arrows and did a Hagar render!
    using Genesis

Tough pub that one ! Excellent render !!yes

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839
    edited July 2020
    Bunyip02 said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Select them all within the group > Ctrl + U (Ungroup)

Bunyip02 said:

No extra scene from me today, been working on a DAZ Studio scene in Carrara, all of it's items are grouped together which is making life difficult, nearly given up on it several times now....

Thanks Dart, tried it but it didn't work. All of the objects in the scene are together on the one layer, only thing that is different are the UVs. Found a solution that works, but due to the size of the scene it's slow work !

Bummer. Sorry. Yeah, some DUF scenes I just give up on. I haven't been returning them, just giving up until the day I decide to try them in DS - as much as I do jump into DS, I still never work that way - as a render studio.

Would love to get Howie's Ultra Scenery converting to Carrara, but the potential size of the files (if it is practical to do so) has me going EEEEK !!!!

nah we only need the distribution and terrain height maps, we have everything else already, I was almost tempted to buy it just so I could reproduce everything in Carrara for comparison and render animated versions!

I have ultrascatter and its good as far as DAZ studio goes but I can still do better in Carrara.

what would be nice is some new Carrara scenes from him but sadly that's not where the money is, I recall encouraging him to do DAZ studio stuff too so cannot really complain.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Bunyip - you're on fire with all those renders - awesome! Thanks for the explanations.

Everyone's work looks great.

I got kind of computer fatigue the past few weeks so haven't done much Carrara-ing. Will try to get my act together here.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

What!!??

Your renders are gorgeous! Please keep sharing Dart and Rosie with us. yes

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Stezza said:
    I fiddled around with ChickenMan Lorenzo again with textures for his chicken supersuit and different set up using mmoirs city background and some free stuff from mortemvetus from RDNA when it was there.

Rubble

HA HA!  Wonderful in its absurdity.  The eggman expression was the perfect touch.

Bunyip02 said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Bunyip02 said:

No extra scene from me today, been working on a DAZ Studio scene in Carrara, all of it's items are grouped together which is making life difficult, nearly given up on it several times now....

Thanks Dart, tried it but it didn't work. All of the objects in the scene are together on the one layer, only thing that is different are the UVs. Found a solution that works, but due to the size of the scene it's slow work !

Bummer. Sorry. Yeah, some DUF scenes I just give up on. I haven't been returning them, just giving up until the day I decide to try them in DS - as much as I do jump into DS, I still never work that way - as a render studio.

Would love to get Howie's Ultra Scenery converting to Carrara, but the potential size of the files (if it is practical to do so) has me going EEEEK !!!!

nah we only need the distribution and terrain height maps, we have everything else already, I was almost tempted to buy it just so I could reproduce everything in Carrara for comparison and render animated versions!

I have ultrascatter and its good as far as DAZ studio goes but I can still do better in Carrara.

what would be nice is some new Carrara scenes from him but sadly that's not where the money is, I recall encouraging him to do DAZ studio stuff too so cannot really complain.

Was thinking about setting up the Ultra Scenery scenes in DAZ Studio, then using Instances to Objects and saving the scene as a DUF so it could be opened in Carrara. Tried using Instances to Objects on one of Howie's DAZ Studio scenes and got warnings about the size of the file. If I can get it on one of the sales will think about it then.

Bunyip - you're on fire with all those renders - awesome! Thanks for the explanations.

Everyone's work looks great.

I got kind of computer fatigue the past few weeks so haven't done much Carrara-ing. Will try to get my act together here.

Thanks ! Was trying to do a render a day while using the Toon parts of my library, have slowed down a bit. Was worried that I might scare people off the Challenge.

Definately nice work, hopefully more people will join in the fun !

Computer fatigue is a worry for everyone, trust you get your Carrara mojo back soon !!!

What!!??

Your renders are gorgeous! Please keep sharing Dart and Rosie with us. yes

Always good to see what adventures they are up to ! yesyes

Stezza said:

Rubble

HA HA!  Wonderful in its absurdity.  The eggman expression was the perfect touch.

Stezza's offerings help the day go by !!!

Bunyip02 said:
    Bunyip02 said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Bunyip02 said:

Was thinking about setting up the Ultra Scenery scenes in DAZ Studio, then using Instances to Objects and saving the scene as a DUF so it could be opened in Carrara. Tried using Instances to Objects on one of Howie's DAZ Studio scenes and got warnings about the size of the file. If I can get it on one of the sales will think about it then.

you can try proxies unlike instances they can be placeholders Carrara can actually recognise,

maybe some tiny one poly planes, can even do sets for each plant group and export reimport them as objects to replicate on

edited July 2020
    MossyHollow Inst to obj 1.png
    2421 x 1018 - 755K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

LOL I started to try Alessandro's Lost World

just no

one needs a Carrara replicator solution

LOL I started to try Alessandro's Lost World

just no

one needs a Carrara replicator solution

Very heavy on the memory !!!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,804
    edited July 2020

thanks for all the comments smiley

today's render as we look like getting the 2nd wave ~

I modeled everything in Carrara except for Gosha which I used so I could stick the cricket head on lol.. 

Covid Data.png
    800 x 600 - 648K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    Stezza said:

I modeled everything in Carrara except for Gosha which I used so I could stick the cricket head on lol.. 

What's the amazing filter do you use on your illustrations: here and on your nice Hagar's render?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited July 2020

quickie visit to keep hat in ring - sorry not to comment on the excellent renders! been busy managed to pick up some work  - finally

this is Freddie from poser - custom morph Working Title - if only you were real like me ...

Bunyip02 comment about using cartoon figures made me go looking - 

freddie unprocessed is here https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Freddie

Untitled-1.jpg
    1855 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on
    Stezza said:

Nice work ! It's amazing how many people are treating Covid like it's the common sniffles/cough....

Vyusur said:
    Stezza said:

What's the amazing filter do you use on your illustrations: here and on your nice Hagar's render?

Come on Stezza, spill the beans on your workflow !!wink

Headwax said:

quickie visit to keep hat in ring - sorry not to comment on the excellent renders! been busy managed to pick up some work  - finally

this is Freddie from poser - custom morph Working Title - if only you were real like me ...

Bunyip02 comment about using cartoon figures made me go looking - 

freddie unprocessed is here https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Freddie

Glad you got some work !

Hadn't thought of poaching the Poser Runtime, love the scene !!

edited July 2020

Fox on the run WIP-1 - Not an entry

Was interested in seeing what difficulties arose from using a DAZ Studio scene that is populated with Instances converted for use in Carrara. In my post above referencing Mossy Hollow the original conversion would have been far too big for my system.

I removed all of the Moss & Weeds to make it more user friendly. So had all the ferns, palms, and trees in the conversion, it still took a while and when completed was 341MB in size.

Loaded the saved DUF into Carrara, 5 to 6 hours later it was ready to use.

Size wise was slowing down my actions in Carrara.

Loaded a figure into Carrara to pose, each step took over a minute to do.

Rendering was very slow for first of all a mini test render in the Assembly room, then for an 800 pixel width size image in the render room, which took 17 minutes. Lighting was a simple single light, nothing fancy.

In retrospect a Carrara or Bryce terrain, populated with plants using a Surface Replicator would have been far more productive.

WIP - Scene. Used a Surface Replicator to add some grass.

Render

Into PSP for a One Stop Photo Fix

Carrara 53 Fox WIP-1.png
    2265 x 1033 - 2M
    Carrara 53 Fox 1.png
    800 x 600 - 629K
    Carrara 53 Fox WIP-1b.png
    1921 x 1024 - 1M
    edited July 2020

Fox on the run WIP-2 - Not an entry

PicToPainting filter

PicToPainting layer in PSP, adjusted Opacity for some detail

Final image

Carrara 53 Fox WIP-1c.png
    1921 x 1024 - 2M
    Carrara 53 Fox WIP-1d.png
    1919 x 1044 - 1M
    Carrara 53 Fox 1b.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Bunyip, your stylized works are amazing! Sometimes I want to join the fun, but can't imagine what to do.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited July 2020

Great work everyone. 

Sorry for continuing to be absent.  My good machine has been tied up with something that is taking way longer than I intended.  Here is a quickie that I'm not sure came out the way I intended.  It is supposed to be variant on tough urban wisecracking woman confronted with a boorish man hitting on her, but the man might look more like a beggar.  The final combines the outline from the coverage pass, the shadow pass and a GMIC filter black and white.  One panel piece.

Bus Stop composite.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 315K
    scene setup bus stop.jpg
    1599 x 1032 - 287K
    Bus Stop 01.png
    1500 x 2000 - 938K
    Bus Stop 01c gmic bw.png
    1500 x 2000 - 596K
    Bus Stop 01_Shadow.png
    1500 x 2000 - 299K
    Bus Stop 01_Coverage.png
    1500 x 2000 - 179K
    Bus Stop composite updated for shadow.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 330K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,986
    Diomede said:

Great work everyone. 

Sorry for continuing to be absent.  My good machine has been tied up with something that is taking way longer than I intended.  Here is a quickie that I'm not sure came out the way I intended.  It is supposed to be variant on tough urban wisecracking woman confronted with a boorish man hitting on her, but the man might look more like a beggar.  The final combines the outline from the coverage pass, the shadow pass and a GMIC filter black and white.  One panel piece.

_And perhaps Change the Boor-Man hand pose from palm-up to side, _could give less beggar  look   _  thanx

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,986
    Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

so today I modeled an table, beer stein with froth, Viking outfit, shield, helmet, sword and arrows and did a Hagar render!
    using Genesis

_ + 1    _always liked Hägar the Horrible _

Vyusur said:
    Stezza said:

thanks Veronika & Bunyip, it's a mixture of PanosFX pop art filter and my own layer blending styles in PSE2020 wink

ed3D said:
    Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

using Genesis

_ + 1    _always liked Hägar the Horrible _

+1 again on that yes