CARRARA CHALLENGE 53: Cartoons & Comics - WIP

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,714
    Vyusur said:

Bunyip, your stylized works are amazing! Sometimes I want to join the fun, but can't imagine what to do.

Thanks ! There must be some great Russian Comics & Cartoons that you could use as a base, always love to see your work !!

Diomede said:

Great work everyone. 

Sorry for continuing to be absent.  My good machine has been tied up with something that is taking way longer than I intended.  Here is a quickie that I'm not sure came out the way I intended.  It is supposed to be variant on tough urban wisecracking woman confronted with a boorish man hitting on her, but the man might look more like a beggar.  The final combines the outline from the coverage pass, the shadow pass and a GMIC filter black and white.  One panel piece.

The Great Pickup Artist versus the Great Putdown Artist - nice render !

ed3D said:
    Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

seen a post about Hagar...

so today I modeled an table, beer stein with froth, Viking outfit, shield, helmet, sword and arrows and did a Hagar render!
    using Genesis

Tough pub that one ! Excellent render !!yes

_ + 1    _always liked Hägar the Horrible _

One of my favourites, along with The Phantom & Garfield. Any chance of a render or two from you as well !

Stezza said:
    Vyusur said:
    Stezza said:

thanks for all the comments smiley

today's render as we look like getting the 2nd wave ~

I modeled everything in Carrara except for Gosha which I used so I could stick the cricket head on lol.. 

What's the amazing filter do you use on your illustrations: here and on your nice Hagar's render?

thanks Veronika & Bunyip, it's a mixture of PanosFX pop art filter and my own layer blending styles in PSE2020 wink

Thanks Stezza !

edited July 2020

The Indelible AlphaMan, hot on the trails of the no-good WIP-1 - Not an entry

WIP - Scene, another Instances to Objects conversion

Render

Topaz Adjust

Carrara 53 AlphaMan WIP-1.png
    2256 x 1035 - 1M
    Carrara 53 AlphaMan 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Carrara 53 AlphaMan WIP-1b.png
    1918 x 1037 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited July 2020

The Indelible AlphaMan, hot on the trails of the no-good WIP-2 - Not an entry

Topaz Simplify

Text and Thought Bubble

Final Image

Carrara 53 AlphaMan WIP-1c.png
    1917 x 1042 - 1M
    Carrara 53 AlphaMan WIP-1d.png
    1923 x 1039 - 976K
    Carrara 53 AlphaMan 1b.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,806
    edited July 2020
    Diomede said:

Great work everyone. 

Sorry for continuing to be absent.  My good machine has been tied up with something that is taking way longer than I intended.  Here is a quickie that I'm not sure came out the way I intended.  It is supposed to be variant on tough urban wisecracking woman confronted with a boorish man hitting on her, but the man might look more like a beggar.  The final combines the outline from the coverage pass, the shadow pass and a GMIC filter black and white.  One panel piece.

cool stuff this... reminds me that Lucifer will back on telly next month .. S5 devil

You're In

You are in.png
    800 x 600 - 575K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,986
    edited July 2020
    Bunyip02 said:
    ed3D said:

One of my favourites, along with The Phantom & Garfield. Any chance of a render or two from you as well !

_thanx,  but don't guess , ought to try and name Fav's might take
     too many forum pages,

_and Yeah, am trying to work up some scenes *

Post edited by ed3D on
    Stezza said:
    Diomede said:

Great work everyone. 

cool stuff this... reminds me that Lucifer will back on telly next month .. S5 devil

You're In

Where's Wally strikes ! Nice one !

ed3D said:
    Bunyip02 said:
    ed3D said:

_thanx,  but don't guess , ought to try and name Fav's might take
     too many forum pages,

_and Yeah, am trying to work up some scenes *^^

I have plenty that I read when available, Swamp is another good one !

Hope you have time to get those scenes done !!!

edited July 2020

Two eyed Aliens - WIP-1 - Not an entry

WIP - Scene

Render

Topaz Adjust

Carrara 53 Alien2 WIP-1.png
    2265 x 1035 - 807K
    Carrara 53 Alien2 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Carrara 53 Alien2 WIP-1b.png
    1916 x 1037 - 920K
    edited July 2020

Two eyed Aliens - WIP-2 - Not an entry

Filter Forge

Speech Bubble & Text

Final Image

Carrara 53 Alien2 WIP-1c.png
    1522 x 1025 - 1M
    Carrara 53 Alien2 WIP-1d.png
    1918 x 1039 - 1M
    Carrara 53 Alien2 1b.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited July 2020

Rework of Tough Urban Woman vs Yucky Man

Thanks for the comments everyone, especially ed3D.  Hope this makes it more clear he is bothering her.  I did a separate render of a bus from the browser tray to create the texture map for the bus stop sign.

Composite with NPR

I rendered out a base render (most shaders converted to black/white gradients), coverage pass, and shadow pass.

I took the base render and inserted it in the backdrop of a new scene.

In the render room, I switched from photoreal to NPR.  I rendered out two NPR renders, one with a very transparent brush and one with a more dense brush.

I composited the shadow pass with the NPR, and adjusted some with the base pass to get the text more readable.  I didn't like the lines from the coverage pass show I excluded it.

Bus Stop 02 composite for challenge.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 955K
    Bus Stop 02 BW Shaders Gradients.png
    1200 x 1600 - 577K
    Bus Stop 02 BW Shaders Gradients_Shadow.png
    1200 x 1600 - 202K
    Bus Stop NPR 01.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 234K
    Bus Stop NPR 02.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 196K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited July 2020

Here are the scene setups and NPR settings - but remember that I composited with the base render.  I've posted two screengrabs to show the two different brushes.  There are two scene setups because the first one has the figures and set and the second shows the first base render inserted in backdrop of a new NPR scene.

NPR settings 1.jpg
    281 x 872 - 66K
    NPR settings 2.jpg
    254 x 934 - 62K
    carrara challenge setup 000.jpg
    1552 x 1036 - 301K
    setup insert in backdrop.jpg
    1474 x 981 - 283K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

quickie visit to keep hat in ring - sorry not to comment on the excellent renders! been busy managed to pick up some work  - finally

this is Freddie from poser - custom morph Working Title - if only you were real like me ...

freddie unprocessed is here https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Freddie

Bunyip02 said:
    Headwax said:

quickie visit to keep hat in ring - sorry not to comment on the excellent renders! been busy managed to pick up some work  - finally

this is Freddie from poser - custom morph Working Title - if only you were real like me ...

Bunyip02 comment about using cartoon figures made me go looking - 

Glad you got some work !

Hadn't thought of poaching the Poser Runtime, love the scene !!

thanks ! yes Poser runtime is full of 'stuff'

Diomede said:

Great work everyone. 

great scene and body language and style !

Bunyip02 said:

Topaz Simplify

Text and Thought Bubble

Final Image

thanks again for those walk throughs, great library of data here in this thread

Bunyip02 said:

Filter Forge

Speech Bubble & Text

Final Image

this one is my favourite style I think

Stezza said:
    Diomede said:

Great work everyone. 

You're In

I still think you should work for the newspapers as a social commentator :)

edited July 2020

some random stuff from my runtime PhilW's Giovanni and Tiny ? Tim. 

Topaz simplifuy, filter forge for watercolourt texture Photodonut for pencil lines 

Used Carrara's built in Toon filter and also ToonPro for line work

prepost image - geographically in post I tilted boy's head more (chap on right) and made the kids eyes smaller as that kind of head and eyes annoys me :)

let-them-eat-cakecropped.jpg
    2236 x 2000 - 4M
    let-them-eat-cakeprepost.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 515K
    Post edited by Headwax on
    Diomede said:

Rework of Tough Urban Woman vs Yucky Man

Thanks for the comments everyone, especially ed3D.  Hope this makes it more clear he is bothering her.  I did a separate render of a bus from the browser tray to create the texture map for the bus stop sign.

Composite with NPR

I rendered out a base render (most shaders converted to black/white gradients), coverage pass, and shadow pass.

I took the base render and inserted it in the backdrop of a new scene.

In the render room, I switched from photoreal to NPR.  I rendered out two NPR renders, one with a very transparent brush and one with a more dense brush.

I composited the shadow pass with the NPR, and adjusted some with the base pass to get the text more readable.  I didn't like the lines from the coverage pass show I excluded it.

Nice work on the composition !!

Diomede said:

Here are the scene setups and NPR settings - but remember that I composited with the base render.  I've posted two screengrabs to show the two different brushes.  There are two scene setups because the first one has the figures and set and the second shows the first base render inserted in backdrop of a new NPR scene.

I should use the NPR setting more often, thanks for showing your settings !

Headwax said:

Bunyip02 said:
    Headwax said:

Bunyip02 comment about using cartoon figures made me go looking - 

Glad you got some work !

Hadn't thought of poaching the Poser Runtime, love the scene !!

thanks ! yes Poser runtime is full of 'stuff'

Some nice items in there !

Headwax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Topaz Simplify

Text and Thought Bubble

Final Image

thanks again for those walk throughs, great library of data here in this thread

Hopefully will be of use to those contemplating doing post work !

Headwax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Filter Forge

Speech Bubble & Text

Final Image

this one is my favourite style I think

I have a number of favourites, the filter used is one of them.

Headwax said:
    Stezza said:
    Diomede said:

Great work everyone. 

You're In

I still think you should work for the newspapers as a social commentator :)

Gets both the thoughts and the giggles going !!!

Headwax said:

some random stuff from my runtime PhilW's Giovanni and Tiny ? Tim. 

Topaz simplifuy, filter forge for watercolourt texture Photodonut for pencil lines 

Used Carrara's built in Toon filter and also ToonPro for line work

prepost image - geographically in post I tilted boy's head more (chap on right) and made the kids eyes smaller as that kind of head and eyes annoys me :)

Interesting blend you have going there ! Hmmm "Let them eat cake", made an Orange cake this afternoon - yummy !!

edited July 2020

Pink - WIP-1 - Not an Entry

Is a Poser figure, was doing some funny things in Carrara while trying to pose it, so assume it is a late Poser item with weight painting issues.

WIP - Scene

Render

Topaz Adjust

Carrara 53 Pink WIP-1.png
    2267 x 1037 - 790K
    Carrara 53 Pink 1.png
    800 x 1200 - 944K
    Carrara 53 Pink WIP-1b.png
    1912 x 1037 - 799K
    edited July 2020

Pink - WIP-2 - Not an Entry

Topaz Adjust image with Gaussian blur applied

DAP filter

Final image

Carrara 53 Pink 1 Topaz.png
    800 x 1200 - 2M
    Carrara 53 Pink WIP-1c.png
    1916 x 1033 - 1M
    Carrara 53 Pink 1 Topaz_DAP_Textured_Aqua-Real 800.png
    800 x 1203 - 2M
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited July 2020

Oh, What A Tangled Web

The image is pretty dark, so you will need to click on to the larger size so the white forum background doesn't fry your eyes. :)

I rendered the BG separately, and loaded it onto a plane.  It was made using the Black Widow model and a GMIC filter (Contours>Skeleton, the raw render is below), and then tweaked with lights and bump maps.

Spiderman is M4, using the Joe Quick freebie morph and textures at ShareCG.  The boots and mask have individual morph controls.  Pretty impressive for a freebie!

No postwork

Oh_What A Tangled Web.png
    1700 x 1133 - 2M
    Oh, What Spider Skeleton BG.JPG
    1502 x 871 - 225K
    Oh, Carrara Setup.JPG
    1629 x 1060 - 182K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on