• his xhis x Posts: 866
    edited August 2014

I only ever did a couple beards that way BTW
    As shown in video
    Too much work

Duh...

I came across this...
    http://forum.reallusion.com/Topic158484-281-1.aspx#bm162481

I see this subject is nothing new. I'm going to watch your videos a few times.

Post edited by his x on
    edited December 1969

Well, I watched beard with visemes rough go a couple of times. I'll need to work through it before I get the hang of it, but I think I'll be able to follow it.

I see you used a one-piece beard. I hope to do it with a separate moustache and goatee, each with its own FBX export file.

Yes, it looks tedious. The good news is, you do it once and it stays done. Unless you're doing a vid about a ZZ Top look-alike contest. :-)

BTW, I edited a copy of your video by bringing the audio levels up to normal. I had to. You're welcome to it if you want it. It is the authoritative 3DX Genesis Beard Morph video, after all.

Thanks.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,901
    edited December 1969

yes you are not the first to ask
    and as I said a tedious job, I have found no easy way

edited August 2014

yes you are not the first to ask
    and as I said a tedious job, I have found no easy way

I have a number of "loose ends," but I've made it work. I did basically what you did. I used the Boris beard, as it comes in two pieces.

Once I figured it out, using the Transfer utility to transfer the morphs to the beard worked fine. I exported the morphs a little differently than you did. I created one keyframe for eace viseme on the Beard timeline, and gave each viseme morph a value of 1. This exported well. I expect I'll be able to add other morphs to the timeline as I need them. I've only begun to test this in iClone. In fact, I've only begun to learn iClone! :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFq5GcwOyho

Thanks wendy♥catz, I would never have lived long enough to figure this out myself. I learned more than I set out to learn.

Post edited by his x on
    edited December 1969

you did well

edited December 1969

you did well

Thanks. On to other issues. Shoes.

I put shoes on Genesis and exported as is. I was able to correct the feet - I think - in 3DX. They seem to look OK, anyway. But when they get into iClone, the toes are a bit elevated. Any comments?

I've ordered "the only book," the one for iClone v4. Hopefully it will mention 3DX.

genesis_feet.jpg
    932 x 426 - 31K
    edited December 1969

Go into convert to nonstandard character, untick the retarget window
    Repose the toes and foot with rotate icon then retick and convert

edited December 1969

Go into convert to nonstandard character, untick the retarget window
    Repose the toes and foot with rotate icon then retick and convert

Thanks, I see it just takes fiddling.

edited September 2014

Moving Along...

For weeks I beat myself up trying to duplicate my beard results. Finally I succeeded, kind of. There are certain morphs I just can't bring in to 3DX. I let it rest.

Recently I began thinking about talking animals. I started fooling with the Millenium Cat, but got nowhere. Today I found this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPq8euZWmkQ

If I understand this correctly, it makes a difference which frame number is used to contain which morph. I'm going to try it. I'm going to start by trying it on the Boris Mustache. So far I have failed with the mustache morphs. Then I'm going to try it on the cat. I notice the cat has a full set of visemes.

What I've not been able to do so far is to transfer the Mouth Open Wide morph to the Boris Goatee. All the 3DX jaw movement exercises fail. I noticed that, in one of your beard videos, you've got the jaw dropped and the beard along with it. Got clues?

Post edited by his x on
    edited December 1969

I do them all manually, the animals
    make sure all morphs are baked to the timeline, you only need two frames zero at 0 dial them all up at frame 1

edited December 1969

After considerable time and effort, I've come to the conclusion that exporting beard morphs from DS to iClone is only possible in a limited sense. The problem is, DS doesn't make all the needed morphs available for export.

Visemes transfer to the beard very well, and so can be exported via FBX. However, DS doesn't transfer any of the face morphs to the beard. The result is that the FBX file is short a few required morphs. In 3DXchange, the Expression Editor has only partial success. The iClone Puppeteering Panel is of little value.

Could I have overlooked something? Sure I could have. The lack of professional documentation is a constant problem. I tried everything I knew. If I'm wrong about this, I would love to find out.

So, unless you're making Children of the Damned, or a vid about a tribe of Amazons, you may find the Genesis export "pipeline" (marketing loves that word) to be slightly limited (useless).

edited December 1969

it is not so much it cannot be done as it is not easy to do
    I have gotten ALL the morphs over
    but it took a lot of work I cannot be bothered with

edited December 1969

it is not so much it cannot be done as it is not easy to do
    I have gotten ALL the morphs over
    but it took a lot of work I cannot be bothered with

It's not so much that it may or may not be easy to do. It's guessing at how to hack it that's hard. This is a hack if ever I saw one. I cannot be bothered.

edited December 1969

the problem is my friend DAZ content PA's mostly cater for still images in DAZ studio
    the stuff simply not designed for facial animation
    if you want to use it in such a way you have to be prepared to do it yourself
    one could onesself rig and add morphs to a bearded figure and it would work in iClone fine like any mesh, is not the program that is the issue
    if I ever figure out Zbrush which so far has caused me much grief, I can make you a beard WITH morphs that WOULD work in iClone
    I do know how to do it just,.the morphing, cannot share anothers mesh, and yes is work indeed

edited December 1969

actually on Mec4D beard there may be an easy way as she has viseme morphs just not under head, I am trying something will get back to you

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

if you must use a beard - why don't you use a iClone model ?

edited December 1969

I have suggested the same method used in iClone ie beard part of face mesh
    some M4 morphs did this with textures to match
    Mec4D Buddy being one
    it can be transferred over using genX
    or one could create their own morph using Dfrorm or modeler of choice eg carrara hexagon etc, just use base not subdiv and do not transform or change vertex order

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 1969

Hey Wendy -

Any words of wisdom on purchasing Crazy Talk Animator 2 versus iClone 5 Pro (would have to see if that comes with free upgrade to iClone 6 Pro - saw something about that on Reallusion site)

Are these programs complementary where you might want both?

Is iClone Pro a 'better' / more robust program, but steeper learning curve?

They're both on sale at DAZ store now and considering a purchase?

( my main interest is animation, and I do that in Carrara 8.5 Pro - but would welcome a quicker workflow at times so considering Reallusion products)

Thanks

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Any words of wisdom on purchasing Crazy Talk Animator 2 versus iClone 5 Pro (would have to see if that comes with free upgrade to iClone 6 Pro - saw something about that on Reallusion site)

you will have to buy iClone 5 at their site to get the free iClone 6 upgrade from what I read .
    get on their email list - they offer some good deal off and on .

edited December 1969

yes I suspect it only applies if bought from Reallusion
    Crazytalk and iClone two completely different birds though of a feather so to speak
    one a 2D app the other 3D
    they can share some scripts like cts files for facial puppeteering and now 3D animation files in pro version on the bones of the 2D rig
    is like comparing Anime studio to Poser
    crazytalk a lot of fun with family photos

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,739
    edited December 1969

When will iclone 6 be released? What are the new features?

edited December 1969

When will iclone 6 be released? What are the new features?

info all here, no exact date yet http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/14-ic6_preorder/index.html
    edited December 1969

I have solved the beard thing
    use transfer utility
    in advanced options choose morphs and transfer poses and shaping or add the ones you want to favorites and transfer
    afterwards in parameters actor head go into edit mode
    select them all
    clone property
    hip is default change it to head and let it run
    apply the facekey to the beard before adding your figure to the scene and conforming the beard
    apply it again to figure
    it will now work automatically in 3Dxchange