"GODZILLA!!! Everybody, run!!!"

Comments

• Anybody got any ideas for what to make King Ceezar out of? I was thinking of Big Cat 2 as a base, for something looking much less like a guy in a suit, but I dunno that I could get the face to have that mammal/reptile look Ceezar has right. And I got NO clue about the fur and scales...

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417

Anybody got any ideas for what to make King Ceezar out of? I was thinking of Big Cat 2 as a base, for something looking much less like a guy in a suit, but I dunno that I could get the face to have that mammal/reptile look Ceezar has right. And I got NO clue about the fur and scales...

Sadly, he'd almost entirely need to be custom modelled.

• Valandar said:

Anybody got any ideas for what to make King Ceezar out of? I was thinking of Big Cat 2 as a base, for something looking much less like a guy in a suit, but I dunno that I could get the face to have that mammal/reptile look Ceezar has right. And I got NO clue about the fur and scales...

There's a couple creatures in the shop that are decent bases, but the face and scales(and likely fur) are the problem. So I tend to think you're very likely right. 

• Valandar said:

There's a couple creatures in the shop that are decent bases, but the face and scales(and likely fur) are the problem. So I tend to think you're very likely right. 

You could get really close with genesis creature creator and then tweak the morph.Plenty of long hair in the store, and for the tufts you could use LAMH, just paint fur on where you needed it. The scales would be harder, unless you got lazy and just slapped a tiling pattern on.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,581
    edited December 2017

Not so much a composition as it is an "assembly study".

I bet DynaGirlsDaddy will recognize this character.  It's an "Xilien" from "Invasion of Astro-Monster", alternatively titled "Godzilla vs. Monster Zero", the titular kaiju being revealed as King Ghidorah.

The Xiliens were aliens living upon a planet on the far side of Jupiter.  Besides introducing ETs to the Godzilla franchise, they presented the trope of aliens controlling kaiju as weapons.  Well, at least within Goji films.  Other movies (usually from the West) in no way connected to Godzilla had already explored this theme, but the Xiliens were Toho's take on the idea.

The Xiliens had a very distinctive appearance, wearing form hugging grey jumpsuits with black "vests", a matching "cumberbund" (an element I did not include here), gloss black gloves, boots and a scuba-like cowl mounted with an antenna.  They also wore thin visors predating the "cyberpunk" look by nearly 20 years.  Most eye-catching, at least to me, was the inclusion of a wide tubular "collar" that reached a height so as to partially hide the chin.

This collar reminded me of something.  JoeQuick had originally sold a product called "Alien Force", one he later offered for free at ShareCG.  The central item was a jumpsuit with, yup, a wide tubular collar and a large selection of material zones that could be customized.    While not as absurdly tall as the collars on the Xilien costumes, by selecting a "ghost" body group labeled "neck" (the collar geometry is actually associated with the "chest" group), I was able to lengthen the "T" axis to make it look more like the movie outfit.  Boom!  Instant Xilien!

JoeQuick's freebie is still available at ShareCG.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/62305/gallery/11/Poser/M4-Alien-Force-Suit

I used a cowl from "Zero-Gravity" a near future spacesuit for Michael 4, but JoeQuick has a variety of superhero freebies, some of which likely contain a "near enough" cowl.

Anyway, just something silly to show on a lazy Saturday.

Sincerely,

Bill

M4-Xilien-J-1.jpg
    400 x 800 - 19K
    Post edited by Redfern on
  • edited December 2017
    Redfern said:

Not so much a composition as it is an "assembly study".

I bet DynaGirlsDaddy will recognize this character.  It's an "Xilien" from "Invasion of Astro-Monster", alternatively titled "Godzilla vs. Monster Zero", the titular kaiju being revealed as King Ghidorah.

The Xiliens were aliens living upon a planet on the far side of Jupiter.  Besides introducing ETs to the Godzilla franchise, they presented the trope of aliens controlling kaiju as weapons.  Well, at least within Goji films.  Other movies (usually from the West) in no way connected to Godzilla had already explored this theme, but the Xiliens were Toho's take on the idea.

The Xiliens had a very distinctive appearance, wearing form hugging grey jumpsuits with black "vests", a matching "cumberbund" (an element I did not include here), gloss black gloves, boots and a scuba-like cowl mounted with an antenna.  They also wore thin visors predating the "cyberpunk" look by nearly 20 years.  Most eye-catching, at least to me, was the inclusion of a wide tubular "collar" that reached a height so as to partially hide the chin.

This collar reminded me of something.  JoeQuick had originally sold a product called "Alien Force", one he later offered for free at ShareCG.  The central item was a jumpsuit with, yup, a wide tubular collar and a large selection of material zones that could be customized.    While not as absurdly tall as the collars on the Xilien costumes, by selecting a "ghost" body group labeled "neck" (the collar geometry is actually associated with the "chest" group), I was able to lengthen the "T" axis to make it look more like the movie outfit.  Boom!  Instant Xilien!

JoeQuick's freebie is still available at ShareCG.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/62305/gallery/11/Poser/M4-Alien-Force-Suit

I used a cowl from "Zero-Gravity" a near future spacesuit for Michael 4, but JoeQuick has a variety of superhero freebies, some of which likely contain a "near enough" cowl.

Anyway, just something silly to show on a lazy Saturday.

Sincerely,

Bill

WOW! That's dang close! And I like the updated while still clearly oldschool look! Very good Job Bill!  And for some added info, Toho's first foray into the alien invasion controlling monsters was the non Godzilla film The Mysterians(1957), where the titular aliens controlled two robot monsters called Mogerua(later to become a combining mecha of human creation in Godzilla VS SpaceGodzilla). And here's some examples of Daz Dragon 3's versatility:

baragon.jpg
    1856 x 901 - 1M
    godzilla vs anguirus.jpg
    1856 x 901 - 1M
    reptilicus.jpg
    1856 x 901 - 1M
    varan.jpg
    1856 x 901 - 1M
    Post edited by dynagirlsdaddy_c70e7535d2 on

Thank you for the kind words, but you've certainly been rather more creative given the renders you've posted.  Let's see.  You have Baragon, Anguirus, Manda and, uh, ooh, possibly Varan (sans the flying squirrel type "wing" membranes)?

I had the Xiliens on my mind for two reasons.  One, the "El Rey" network aired its (now arguably "annual") "Kaiju Christmas" for the third yeare, a 4 day marathon of various Godzilla movies and "Monster Zero" was played a couple of times.  Two, I recently watched a YouTube fan/comedic film critic named Brandon Tenold who reviewed/riffed on "Monster Zero".  Whenever the Xiliens appeared on camera during his monologue, Brandon would play a few seconds of a Devo song (no, not "Whip It") given the nature of their wardrobe.  That kind of silliness sticks with you.  Those two factors compelled me to assemble the "Planet X" denizens when I remembered I had an appropriate clothing mesh.

Sincerely,

Bill

• edited December 2017
    Redfern said:

Thank you for the kind words, but you've certainly been rather more creative given the renders you've posted.  Let's see.  You have Baragon, Anguirus, Manda and, uh, ooh, possibly Varan (sans the flying squirrel type "wing" membranes)?

I had the Xiliens on my mind for two reasons.  One, the "El Rey" network aired its (now arguably "annual") "Kaiju Christmas" for the third yeare, a 4 day marathon of various Godzilla movies and "Monster Zero" was played a couple of times.  Two, I recently watched a YouTube fan/comedic film critic named Brandon Tenold who reviewed/riffed on "Monster Zero".  Whenever the Xiliens appeared on camera during his monologue, Brandon would play a few seconds of a Devo song (no, not "Whip It") given the nature of their wardrobe.  That kind of silliness sticks with you.  Those two factors compelled me to assemble the "Planet X" denizens when I remembered I had an appropriate clothing mesh.

Sincerely,

Bill

You're 3 out of 4. It's Reptilicus, not Manda. Dunno if you've seen that film. I couldn't figure out how to make Varan's membranes. :P  I have all the movies, except Shin(thank God), but when we go to my stepmoms we'll occasionally watch the El Ray Godzilla marathons. They seem to have them 4 times a year. I know that three times this year we've been there and stumbled on them. And thanks for the kind words. You still did a great job. Some slight tweaking on the headgear, and I could accept your take in the Monsterverse series(assuming they get to expand the series after 2020).

encounter in the sky.jpg
    1856 x 901 - 1M
    Frankenstein's Monster VS Baragon.jpg
    1856 x 812 - 1M
    Post edited by dynagirlsdaddy_c70e7535d2 on

Oh, I know about Reptilicus, Denmark's answer to kaiju cinema.  That's what threw me.  I assumed all four examples were Toho monsters.  BTW, Reptilicus was the first movie riffed in the series "revival" of Mystery Science Theater 3000.  (My name is even listed in the credits of "Cry Wilderness" because I contributed to the KickStarter that funded its return.)

And I just realized you titled your pieces.  But, honestly, I was initially determining from the images alone.

Hmm, El Rey marathons kaiju films four times a year?  I know they do it at Christmas and around July 4th; what are the other two times?

Since you are showing kaiju beyond Toho's creations, that flaming, spinning shell can be nothing else than Gamera.  Did you use the "Dragon Turtle" available here?  I once tried "frankensteining" his complete form using the shell, tail, neck and haed parts while aligning arms and legs from some other critter.  It didn't turn out too well, looking even more absurd than his movie counterpart.  "Flight" mode seems to be the more dynamic choice as you've demonstrated.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Redfern said:

Oh, I know about Reptilicus, Denmark's answer to kaiju cinema.  That's what threw me.  I assumed all four examples were Toho monsters.  BTW, Reptilicus was the first movie riffed in the series "revival" of Mystery Science Theater 3000.  (My name is even listed in the credits of "Cry Wilderness" because I contributed to the KickStarter that funded its return.)

And I just realized you titled your pieces.  But, honestly, I was initially determining from the images alone.

Hmm, El Rey marathons kaiju films four times a year?  I know they do it at Christmas and around July 4th; what are the other two times?

Since you are showing kaiju beyond Toho's creations, that flaming, spinning shell can be nothing else than Gamera.  Did you use the "Dragon Turtle" available here?  I once tried "frankensteining" his complete form using the shell, tail, neck and haed parts while aligning arms and legs from some other critter.  It didn't turn out too well, looking even more absurd than his movie counterpart.  "Flight" mode seems to be the more dynamic choice as you've demonstrated.

Sincerely,

Bill

Word on the street is that Legendary either has, or is getting the rights to Reptilicus for the Monsterverse. He'd make a good stand in for Manda, Imo. I saw the new season of MST3K. not bad, but not nearly as good as the original show. Very cool you're in the credits!  I honestly can't remember... I remember right after my dad passed away in March, we watched Megaguirus, G2K and SpaceGodzilla when we were there to keep my stepmom company after his passing. And I wanna say around my birthday in August they had a marathon too.

Yep, it's Gamera! I used the Dragon Turtle and kitbashed with Kaiju, with custom transmaps on the Plastron(belly shell), though you obviously can't tell from that. Here's a better look:

the gigantic four.jpg
    1850 x 901 - 1M
  • An homage to Gamera 2: The Advent Of Legion!

gamera vs legion.jpg
    1856 x 901 - 266K
  • tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047
    edited April 2018

I call this one fun with Daz primitives.  It's my quick kitbash of the Alien Spaceship from Destroy All Planets! (A Gamera flick from 1968).

DestroyAllPlanets_AlienShip.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 194K
    Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569

An homage to Gamera 2: The Advent Of Legion!

...that's really stunning.

I call this one fun with Daz primitives.  It's my quick kitbash of the Alien Spaceship from Destroy All Planets! (A Gamera flick from 1968).

...nice kitbash.  a little more glossiness on the radio dishes might help discern them a bit.

edited April 2018

Sorry I missed this one earlier.  Very nice job!

---

Following up on Kyoto Kid's suggestion, I did some texture adjustments:

DestroyAllPlanets_AlienShip.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 370K
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,307
    edited April 2018

Might be a little on the fringe here, but no disrespect intended.  When I saw the Carnomoloch character I couldn't sleep until I did an homage to Godzilla.  Mind you this is NOT supposed BE Godzilla, just an homage.  :)

Carnomolochzilla!

FS_Carnomolochzilla11_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 177K
    Post edited by Gogger on
    Gogger said:

Might be a little on the fringe here, but no disrespect intended.  When I saw the Carnomoloch character I couldn't sleep until I did an homage to Godzilla.  Mind you this is NOT supposed BE Godzilla, just an homage.  :)

Carnomolochzilla!

Looks pretty sweet to me!  And he's really not all that far off from the 2014 Godzilla...

Sorry I missed this one earlier.  Very nice job!

---

Following up on Kyoto Kid's suggestion, I did some texture adjustments:

...perfect.

No need to be so apologetic, @Gogger!  When I saw that figure, I too could see it as a kaiju.  And though the “joke” is twenty years old, now (has really been that long?!), I daresay this beast looks more like Godzilla than a certain movie monster from 1998.  Plus, the way you composed and illuminated your composition, it’s easy to mistake it as still from a real movie!

Sincerely,

Bill

• What a great thread.  Lots of old school sweetness.  

More fun with the Virasians...

OK, so not quite 'Kaiju' related, but the 1962 movie Gorath does have a 30 foot walrus apparently.  I'm off to see if there are any walruses for Poser/Daz...

The rocket boosters in Antartica thing... umm yeah, only in sci fi!

Then there's that 'Message From Space' movie... I think I'm going to try to take a stab at the Starfish Aliens, 'cuz they look so silly!

Blame Comet.  They are showing a bunch of these sorts of movies lately.

starfishaliens.jpg
    720 x 502 - 57K
    edited May 2018

R.E. Starfish Aliens:

Well, here's a proof of concept anyways.  I've never tried to build a wearable suit in Daz & Hexagon before.  This ended up being sorta kinda as it's own figure instead of a suit, but for a first attempt/proof of concept It's not a bad start anyways...

Not bad for guesstimating how to do this.  If there's interest, maybe I'll make a more serious attempt at this at a later date.

SillyStarfishAlienConcept1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 196K
    edited January 2019

I've been wanting to take a stab at a Maser Cannon Platform for a while.  I'm slowly piecing this one together. 

It's inspired by the one from Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla (2002), which has the tracked tractor pulling a trailer.  I want my trailer section to look more military-ish (hence I'm not shooting for a close likeness), but there aren't a lot of good trailer options, so I'm kitbashing away...

I still have a ways to go on this one, but I'm (finally) making progress at least.  I may end up going the CommSaber sattelite dish/Sci Fi Tank route on the emitter & barrel, but I want to take my own crack at it first.

MaserTruck_WIP1.jpg
    960 x 540 - 148K
    Post edited by Chohole on

..."we can build an atomic blaster!".

--Revenge From Mars pinball game soundtrack.

edited January 2019

The movie tonight, "Bride of Godzilla"  Huh?  What do you mean you don't see any "bride"?  She's right there!  Yes, it's the "mechanical" lady facing off the King of the Monsters.

As insane is it may seem in context with the films we actually got, a treatment was presented for a third Godzilla film that would have premiered instead of "Rodan" in 1956, had Toho Studio decided to "milk" the property instead of resting it until 1962.

Briefly, it would have involved the discovery of a Pelucidor type "hollow earth" where an entire ecosystem of kaiju thrive, including a third Godzilla, maybe more.  In order to stop Godzilla and other monsters like Anguirus a scientist builds a giant robot in the image of his daughter to combat them.  Initially, they fight, but when Godzilla can not destroy the robot, he then perceives it worthy as a potential, well, "mate".  The story ends with the, uh, "couple" entering the hollow earth environment where the gynoid explodes, at the very least sealing the primordial landscape from the surface world, possibly destroying it totally.  It turns out the robot was rigged with a hydrogen bomb for that very purpose.

You guys think I'm just making up this stuff.  Can't say that I blame you.  When I watched a YouTube video listing several "never made" Godzilla films, this was one of those described.  I, too, thought the maker, "Monster Island Buddy" might have been gently trolling his viewers, but some casual research revealed this thing was actually considered.  A book released in Japan within the last few years documents the account.  I gather it never went beyond an "outline", but it was rejected not for its outlandish concept (which would have included mermaids), but rather because Toho didn't want to do another sequel so close on the heels of "Godzilla Raids Again".  Instead, the studio thought it better to "rest" Godzilla for a few years and instead create new monsters.  It has been speculated that "Rodan" may have developed from a similar new monster considered for "Bride...".  It too was a winged creature, but it was based more upon the Archeopterax rather than the pteranadon.

Anyway, for "proof", here re inks to several discussions about this unmade film.

http://cultistofvertigo.blogspot.com/2014/12/unseen-tohoverse-1954-1959-featuring.html

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22723

https://www.deviantart.com/enshohma/journal/Kaiju-Unmade-Bride-of-Godzilla-1956-520272898

https://www.deviantart.com/dadahyena/art/Bride-Of-Godzilla-758801737

Had this movie been produced, the debut of "Robomusume" (a term applied by those reporting this oddity which translates as "robot daughter" or "robot girl") would have radically changed the concept of giant mecha from the way they appear today.  Instead of being loosely inspired by ceremonial armor, the the Gundam properties, giant fighting robots might have been based upon the feminine silhouette.  You know, that's a divergent quantum reality I would not mind at least visiting!

Shukky's free "B-Co" figure plays the role of "Robomusume".  Given this hypothetical film would have debuted in 1956, the robot would probably been covered in rivets and pleated tubing at the joints.  B-Co has details reflecting designs from the 1980s onwards.  So it's a bit anachronistic, but it looks cooler.  he 1954 Godzilla is a mesh created by Snake151 at Deviant Art and rigged for Poser by Jim "Xaa" Farris.  Snake151 had stated he was updating his model with far better mapping and textures equal to that of his more recent goodies, but that was nearly a year ago.  Thus I applied Poser node based procedurals to replace the low resolution game style textures that came with the model.  maybe someday he'll release it.

Sincerely,

Bill

Goji-v-RoboGirl-J-1.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 143K
    Post edited by Chohole on

One month to go r.e.seeing the big guy onscreen again!  Well, multiple big guys, since it's King of the Monsters...

No art to share, just getting excited about the new movie!

Here's a compilation of trailers so far:

"..,they use my favourite song for the first promos.

..and then one of my favourite piano works for two others.

Songs of beauty, tranquillity, and hope to promote a story about death and destruction.

Why?."

--Leela G.

Less than two weeks now!

The only movie I've seen in the theaters so far this year has been "Alita: Battle Angel" (which I thoroughly enjoyed).  "Godzilla, King of the Monsters" is the one other I wish to experience upon the "big screen".  IMAX would be fantastic, but I don't trust my car making it to Tallahassee, FL where they exist, so I'll make do with the local multiplex.

Sincerely,

Bill

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,307

I'm actually excited about the new Godzilla movie coming out. No one else I know is even batting an eyelash about seeing it, but I believe I will actually see it in theaters - alone, but happy. (My wife *might* come just for something to do, but she clearly was NOT interested in the movie, which is weird, because we tend to like a lot of the same movies.)