Inspirational Animated Movies and Videos

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    MistyMist said:

that rainbow of particles shouldnt be too difficult.

But... but... the Tiger... re... remember the Tiger?

tiger on catnip? smiley

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223

Umm... y... yeah!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

wow... stunning.

per the topic, yes! very inspirational, if not intimidating... I'll go with inspirational. Carrara can do it!

thanks for the link!

--ms

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

look at the skin of the bearded man

I'm scared to... what if I watch it and it suddenly focusses on a ten24 dead guy! I'll get sick! LOL

Just kidding.

Yeah, some of the earlier videos have demonstrated some amazing SSS work goin on. Star Wars got their SSS during the making of Episode III, which helps to illustrate how very new some of this stuff truly is for Feature Films - and how quickly it takes off when given to the maases of the public to put to use!

(The following is not to be taken seriously)

Okay, I've finally got the funding to finish my first movie, and it is destined to be released to theaters Summer 2017;

Okay, maybe it's the Director of FifthElement, not me... I can't remember! LOL

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Yep, nothing there you couldn't do in Carrara with a bunch of talent and around a thousand years...

And yet another Inspirational Playlist - "Art Inspiration through Artists"

Another growing collection of fun and inspiration, this one is kicked off with a wonderful documentary about Roger Dean, hosted by Yes keyboard artist, Rick Wakeman 

I hope to grow this to capture a lot more of the wonders of art which has captivated me over my life - so many artists. If you have any favorites, let me know ;)

Art Inspiration through Artists

PhilW said:

Yep, nothing there you couldn't do in Carrara with a bunch of talent and around a thousand years...

Well... I have been working on this since, what, 1010... I think? or was it 2010? I don't remember! ;)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited November 2016

Well, you've chosen one of my favourite artists right there, Roger Dean is a real hero - one of the first animations I ever did (on my old Amiga!) was an animated version of the Yes covers for Fragile and Yessongs. And as for Rick Wakeman, probably my all time favourite keyboard player (and I say that as one myself). And a really nice guy when you meet him in person which I have had the honour of doing a few times over the years - here is a picture of me with Rick backstage in 2002. I had more hair in those days...and couldn't stop grinning ear to ear to meet my hero!

Image068.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 106K
    Post edited by PhilW on
    edited November 2016

All of my playlists have hours and hous of material so watching them as a straight linear play-through isn't ever my original intention. Rather, I create these lists as a method of storing like material into a single place, a list from which current items of interest may be chosen.

I do get a LOT of personal enjoyment from these lists, but I also make them for others of common interest to absorb as well. So if any of them are missing something that you'd like included, don't hesitate to drop me a line. 

Here is my current selection of Inspirational Playlists:

Art Inspiration through Artists

Some video galleries with a few documentaries and biographies of some amazing artists - many more to come!

Inspiration through Game Trailers

Movies made by video game developers and fans that can offer some great ideas

VFX Inspiration

Documentaries and special features that I feel are geared towards visual effects and related techniques/inspiration for filmmakers

Clone Wars Inspiration

Featurettes from the six seasons of Star Wars - The Clone Wars animated TV show - very insightful 'Behind the Scenes' for all types of filmmaking styles

My Playlist Page

I also have other playlists that some of you may find interesting and have a collection of other channels' playlists saved, which also show up in my main Playlists page. Come on in, relax, and have some inspiration! :)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

@philw - that's pretty durned cool!

@dartanbeck - *stop that!* I don't have enough time to do stuff already, now you put no less than 5 lists of super-cool stuff that I'm sure to 'must see'? 

sleep is overrated... off to list #1...

sigh,

--ms

Very cool, Phil!!! That happens to be the same year that the documetary (above) came out - 2002!

Mindsong, just put on a playlist and close your eyes... puts me out every time! ;)

edited November 2016
    mindsong said:

@philw - that's pretty durned cool!

@dartanbeck - *stop that!* I don't have enough time to do stuff already, now you put no less than 5 lists of super-cool stuff that I'm sure to 'must see'? 

sleep is overrated... off to list #1...

sigh,

--ms

Sorry man... I've got another fun playlist:

Inspirations through Cool Movie Trailers

I've just added these to the list, which really have me pumped for the future of movies!

Gareth Edwards is just too fricken' cool! Love this guy!

I just can't help it. I'm currently into learning some pretty neat stuff, and that adds some really cool stuff to what YouTube suggests for me to watch.

I don't want to lose them, so I start a playlist, and that gets me all fired up as I find clips compatible with the list.

I don't get a whole lot of time to watch this stuff, but I do get some time - so when I do get the time, these make it a lot easier to find something I can watch that helps me along in what I'm doing all at the same time ---- Win Win! ;)

edited November 2016

I also have a playlist that has just some stuff that I've made myself:

My Carrara Experiments and Tests

which is now fairly dated. I have a bunch of stuff that will be going up there eventually, but it's just not ready yet.

As much as some of these things make me cringe - I was so 'new' to Carrara, shaders, rendering and animation in general when I made some of these - I still enjoy them to some degree... even this really old one I made on Windows XP's Movie Maker

Funny thing about that one is that I actually slowed most of the clips waaaay down compared to what they were rendered at. It probably would have looked a lot better if I left them at full speed ;)   Just funny watching this old stuff.

edited December 2016

Saw this one... striking.

UpsideDown:

with Jim Sturgess and Kirsten Dunst

VFX, color grading, visual/style, story-line/premise - all worth the watch. It has a few story gaps at the end where you have to interpolate what probably happened to get from point a to point b, (feels like some parts got left on the editing table to make the 2 hour limit, etc.), but very grand scale and compelling world created. Another one where the 'making of' is fun to watch.

Curious if others have seen. I could see these worlds being made in Carrara - city-scapes, mountains, clouds, etc. Esp with the stylization, the uncanny valley issues would be easier to dodge. The live action compositing would be quite a trick though!

(Stereo 3D version too)

cheers,

--ms

220px-Upside_Down_Poster.jpg
    220 x 326 - 27K
    Post edited by mindsong on

Cool. I'll have to check that one out - Strange concept, for sure. (here's the trailer)

In the same way the Dick Tracy remake (80s?) was done with a great over-saturated effect, UpsideDown is styled in its own way (as the trailer shows) as well, and it adds a grit/harshness to the production that I think really helps separate that world from ours - taking the viewer away from 'here' even more completely. The Harry Potter series did the same in 'sucking us in' to their world. Blade-Runner... similar edge.

Some brilliant/creative folks out there.

Hope a few you folks can take a look someday.

--ms

Absolutely! I love it when the filmmaker takes us away and then blows us away!

Funny you're talking about that right now. My Nephew just gave me this book for Christmas

Not only is it an excellent read, but it's visually stunning as well!

Happy Holidays, mindsong!

Looks like a must-read! (That's a nephew who is paying attention - what a gift!)

cheers, health, and good renders to you and Rosie too!

Best wishes for a good year to all of you!

--ms

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I just got for my anniverary the entire Starwars Clone Wars Animated series special edition with the Storyboard art book including a Character turnaround or two.

I inlcudes lots of behind the scenes as well.

This one has the 5 seasons all together then We also got the 6th season nown as the lost season as it was never aired.

I just got for my anniverary the entire Starwars Clone Wars Animated series special edition with the Storyboard art book including a Character turnaround or two.

I inlcudes lots of behind the scenes as well.

This one has the 5 seasons all together then We also got the 6th season nown as the lost season as it was never aired.

Except on Netflix, which is where Season Six went before it was ever released on DVD/BluRay.

Woah... Congratulations!

Fantastic, isn't it? I cannot stop watching those behind the scenes features. It's so entertaining all on their own! But don't get me wrong... I love the whole series too!!!

This is the final season send-off. It brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it. Saying goodbye to this series is a very sad event!

But it's really cool how they talk about how the show was created and how it accellerated throughout.

George brought the group together, working in a house (yes, a real house!) at Skywalker Ranch! This made for an incredibly comfortable and inspirational working environment, as George would seemingly read their minds and make them do what they feared doing most, on a daily basis! LOL  And that's something they're all grateful for!

I love the rebels one as well so it all ties together in that respect.

Me too, yet I still like the character figures of the Clone Wars look better than the new Rebels Rubbery style - but that aside, it's an excellent show! And now with the new season, we've had two Doctor Who actors in the show! :)

This thing really attracts a lot of stars!

Here are the Stars of the Clone Wars

Here's a cool fan-stitched feature of the Rise and Fall of Anakin and Ahsoka, which is from both shows

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

inspired by this, looping it for a nice calm background music to play in carrara

There are also the Red vs Blue  and RWBY ones done by Roosterteeth found at 

http://roosterteeth.com/show/rwby

http://roosterteeth.com/show/red-vs-blue

They were both done originally in Poser and now RWBY is being done in Maya.

that RBWY switch from Poser to Maya is interesting news.

I was wondering what was to become of RWBY when the main creator (monte oum?) died a year or so back. It was the only series that I know of being done in Poser, so it was kind of inspiring to know it could be done without the high-end tools. He was an early user of the reversed normal geometry-shell concept for fast outline generation/rendering for toon/cel effects - practically real-time preview of the final output in Poser. Also a testimonial to the power of a good story (relative to the target audience) over fancy rendering. Note how the background worlds have changed through the series, and as CPU power has kicked up, so has their world shading/detail. A lot of interesting back-story/making of stuff on their site - character dev, voicing, studio history, etc.

But Maya now... damn - we lost another one.

Still shows what these tools can do with the right minds/hands!

cheers,

--ms