Inspirational Animated Movies and Videos

Comments

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

@DesertDude, I'll have to check out his take on Lord of the Rings based on your comments. I'd found about its existence in the interview that came with the Wizards DVD. Thanks for that ptr. Prolly ought to check wikipedia for any other 'gems' in his portfolio.

--ms

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    mindsong said:

I gotta go look at the Kara/Quantic Dream's back-story - that short tugs at the corners of my soul - not sure why, but it just does.

Yeah... me too! Yikes!

I've seen Wizards... can't wait to get it on DVD!!! Now to go and check that video link! I like a lot of Anime stuff - though I don't watch it regularly.

mindsong said:

Ralph Bakshi - mentioned above (Fire & Ice), also did 'Wizards', with some very progressive animation and compositing at the time, 'Cool World' (Brad Pitt, Kim Basinger), with great human/animated mixing, and of course 'Fritz the Cat', which was very notable for it's (at the time) edgy drug/political/sexual content, as-well-as costing $850K, and making $90Million in 1972 dollars - wow...

Back tracking on this thread I didn't realize Ralph Bakshi was responsible for so much, especially not knowing who he is.  blush

I remember seeing Wizards long ago as a VHS rental. Fire & Ice I missed, but just watched the documentary Dartanbeck mentioned. Cool stuff, and now makes sense fitting stylistically with the animated Lord of the Rings. I don't own the movie, but own the soundtrack by Leonard Rosenman, and heard similar sounds in that documentary. Intersesting.

I never saw (or heard of) Fire and Ice, but then, years and years ago I saw it at Walmart! LOL

I grabbed it up and it's been one of my favorite movies since. It's been hard to find Fantasy films when I was growing up. Now we have a bunch!

That original LotR and the Hobbit animated movies - had those... love 'em... had the Conan movies... well... I think I had all of the fantatsy films. It is a total shame that they didn't gey funding to complete the LotR. I definitely love what Steve Jackson did with it, though. I see a lot of things in there that was taken more from that animated film than from the books!

edited October 2016

Apparently the definition of 'anime' becomes religious to those who study/follow it closely. I honestly don't - I generally see 'anime' as an asian-rooted drawing/animation style, more than a story-telling 'protocol' - simple cel inking, big eye'd cute characters, rich color, etc. Really probably only catching a small percentage of the subtlety that's in their art form (as usual w me) - kind of latching on to the obvious hallmark elements, etc.

For me it's more about the story in any medium, and many great story-tellers are using the so-called 'anime-style' to carry their message as the world's style influences continue to meld into some great stuff.

The mentioned 'Shelter' video 'anime' is different to my eye in that it mixes the 3D stuff we're doing here with the 2D character work in a way I haven't seen, and, as with most of these cool productions, *IF* you (I) can have the discipline *NOT* to get sucked into the stories and actually watch the production/editing/cuts/transitions/animation-motion/etc., there are some really good choices being made in that clip (edits/clip-length/clip choices/color-grading/etc), that shows that everything they did was very intentional, and somehow leaves the viewer with just the right amount of wondering and wanting more. It's amazing how often I try to *watch* a given production for its technical elements, and keep getting sucked back into the good stories. Irritating, actually!

The techniques and skills used in this piece transcend this particular video/story to me.

Dart, let me know if I should go scarf up that Wizards DVD if you can't find one there. There were a couple on our rack, and I'd love to favor you back for all of the help you've given the community here.

cheers,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

I mentioned this somewhere a while back, but it bears repeating.  "Mr. Hublot", Oscar winner for best animated short in 2014, is a great animation:

Also, our friends to the North (if you're in the US) can be way more creative sometimes:

https://www.nfb.ca/channels/Animation/

mindsong said:

Apparently the definition of 'anime' becomes religious to those who study/follow it closely. I honestly don't - I generally see 'anime' as an asian-rooted drawing/animation style, more than a story-telling 'protocol' - simple cel inking, big eye'd cute characters, rich color, etc. Really probably only catching a small percentage of the subtlety that's in their art form (as usual w me) - kind of latching on to the obvious hallmark elements, etc.

For me it's more about the story in any medium, and many great story-tellers are using the so-called 'anime-style' to carry their message as the world's style influences continue to meld into some great stuff.

The mentioned 'Shelter' video 'anime' is different to my eye in that it mixes the 3D stuff we're doing here with the 2D character work in a way I haven't seen, and, as with most of these cool productions, *IF* you (I) can have the discipline *NOT* to get sucked into the stories and actually watch the production/editing/cuts/transitions/animation-motion/etc., there are some really good choices being made in that clip (edits/clip-length/clip choices/color-grading/etc), that shows that everything they did was very intentional, and somehow leaves the viewer with just the right amount of wondering and wanting more. It's amazing how often I try to *watch* a given production for its technical elements, and keep getting sucked back into the good stories. Irritating, actually!

The techniques and skills used in this piece transcend this particular video/story to me.

Dart, let me know if I should go scarf up that Wizards DVD if you can't find one there. There were a couple on our rack, and I'd love to favor you back for all of the help you've given the community here.

cheers,

--ms

Absolutely amazing! Our views align entirely and completely on these matters! I'm not used to that! LOL

As a matter of fact, I almost never started watching the Clone Wars - thinking that I'd never be able to really enjoy the chiseled style of cartoonish art they've chosen to use. I'm glad that I gave it a chance... now I'm so immersed and addicted, I just keep watching it over and over again!

This is their 100 episode celebration trailer. In watching the behind the scenes videos, I've discovered that the team, including the Director, never dreamed that it would make it that far - George always new, though. He said at least 105 episodes right from the start, and they've exceeded that - and I wish they'd double it for yet another six seasons.

Rebels is good (the newer Star Wars animated TV show) but, unlike Clone Wars, it still hasn't completely grown on me. Clone Wars only took a few episodes and Rebels third season just started. The acting is great, but I like the Clone Wars artwork better. It'll grow on me though.

Oh... and it'll be a few more days before I make it to Walmart. It's an hour away, so we only go once in a while.

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited October 2016

Here is another:

Fan made Star Trek movie.

Prelude to Axanar

Enjoy wink

Post edited by FifthElement on
    edited October 2016

Steve K, Mr. Hublot is great! - Wow! to the world they created. Crazy-creative - and the story is good for the soul. tnx for the link,

(anyone know how to 'quote' a username with a space - e.g. 'Steve K' ?)

--ms

Steve K said:

I mentioned this somewhere a while back, but it bears repeating.  "Mr. Hublot", Oscar winner for best animated short in 2014, is a great animation!

OMG, is that ever awesome!!! Made me cry at the end, though :|

@FifthElement, I don't know if I should be blown-away-impressed, or depressed...

"Prelude to Axanar" is mind-blowingly superb in every possible judgement criteria. started watching small-screen, then full-screen, then popcorn and beers... 

wow. fan-art? my gosh! certainly sets the bar high, but shows the value of having a high bar.

great link!

--ms

mindsong said:

@FifthElement, I don't know if I should be blown-away-impressed, or depressed...

"Prelude to Axanar" is mind-blowingly superb in every possible judgement criteria. started watching small-screen, then full-screen, then popcorn and beers... 

wow. fan-art? my gosh! certainly sets the bar high, but shows the value of having a high bar.

great link!

--ms

Gonna watch it now. Not sure if I can stay awake for another twenty-some minutes... but I'll give it a go!

Yeah... there's some fan-made Star Trek movies on YouTube who have casted previous Star Trek stars to be in them... it's quite the thing!

Popcorn and beers, eh? Oh alright! Twist my arm. It's only another twenty-some minutes, right?!!! enlightened

bet you won't regret trading it for the sleep... wow. (not enough hours in a minute tho' - some serious talent out there.)

sleep well,

--ms

Yikes that's fraking awesome!!!

I think that's the same team I was talking above earlier. They must have some earlier ones with some of the ST cast... I think so. At any rate... yeah... I like that!

Bravo!!!

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Sorry if this movie got over looked in this discussion, but this movie made a huge impact in my life Heavy Metal:

I still own the double vinyl album

Yes! Killer soundtrack!

I've known the soundtrack for years before ever seeing the movie. Cool flick! And it fits in this thread beautifully - in my opinion. Awesome inspiration for Carrara usage!

Ya know, as much as I might really like a movie (or not) I often find that I enjoy it so much more after watching things like this - getting to see and hear the heart and soul that individual teams put into the art and creation of the project to help bring the storyteller's dream to life.

I really thought this was a cool movie. I know that it got mixed reviews... I'm not a movie critic, I'm a coolness enjoyer. I love art and action... visuals and sound and music.

ILM freaking rocks! I like many of these great studios. I also see how the use of something like Blackmagic Design's Fusion combined with imaginative use of Carrara can really, truly allow the individual dreamer to realize things like this at home... so cool!

edited October 2016

Ooops... didn't realize that was a self-help film until I started watching it! LOL

Started off good! :D

Instead, I'll post this one from a really cool, extinct Dicovery Channel favorite - this episode about the Movie Magic (ILM) of Forest Gump

I have a fairly complete listing of this series in my VFX Inspiration playlist - among a bunch of other really cool Behind the Scenes stuff!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited October 2016

@DesertDude - +++ on Heavy-Metal - we must hail from same era - I don't 'collect' DVD's (like content... heh), but I've got that one too. I've always like the BOC 'vererans of a thousand psychic wars' in that soundtrack and have a zillion angles/ideas on animating that one.

Anyone else like the Animatrix pieces? - The one where the kids are playing in the funky old house with the distortion fields is pretty neat.

Just saw 'Rango' (ILM animation) and while kind of odd, the visual strength (desert environment, rough but very well 'furred' characters, great fly-throughs, moab-like desert scenery, and incredible water work). Not exactly a recommendation, but peruse a few of the stills in google images for a flavor of the quality and style choices. A lot went into it, but I don't think the writing was as strong as the rest of the production. Worth a view, I suppose. Some gems in the mix, and it might really appeal to some folks as it is a very committed style. Kind of like Dick Tracey and TinTin in terms of picking a look and going with it - solid production work and some clever moments.

--ms

A bit more modern, let's help to create a world with visual effects in Game of Thrones

• Another gem ...

Mirjam Veske: Kosmonauta

smiley

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Yes! Killer soundtrack!

Yeah, I was listening to music in my headphones last night when "Blue Lamp" by Stevie Nicks started playing and I was like..."THIS MOVIE!" I remember my friends and myself jumping up and down rockin' out to this soundtrack...whatever rockin' out was to us in, what, 7th grade or something?

mindsong said:

@DesertDude - +++ on Heavy-Metal - we must hail from same era - I don't 'collect' DVD's (like content... heh), but I've got that one too. I've always like the BOC 'vererans of a thousand psychic wars' in that soundtrack and have a zillion angles/ideas on animating that one.

Totally! Blue Oyster Cult...so awesome! Yeah, I think many of us here are from the same era.

I have a fairly complete listing of this series in my VFX Inspiration playlist - among a bunch of other really cool Behind the Scenes stuff!

I need to stop checking the Carrara forum in the morning...you all create such a distraction from what I need to be doing in real life!  laugh Thanks for the links Dartanbeck, and everyone else...so much to watch and learn.

Man... Blue Oyster Cult has always been one of my faves!!!

Seventh grade, eh? We must be the same age... roughly, at least! ;)

Okay, Misty has that thread about what started it all to get us into Carrara. Well Neverwinter Nights (first series) was built from the ground up to openly accept community-made content and tweaks. BioWare has helped us all along the way, too, by giving us free tools for extracting any part of the game we needed to, tutorials, game updates specifically for us content creators, etc.,

Each game expansion came with a new campaign, of course. But beyond that it came with literally Tons of new content for us to make more and more new stories and campaigns ourselves. It even has Dungeon Master tools - the Dungeon Master is invisible by default, but can also 'posess' any NPC or Monster or Creature or Villain, etc., in the game - even spawn brand new ones, if so preferred. It's really an incredible game - even to this day!

I was perfectly content making textures and other 2D art - even when it was meant to be used on 3D figures. Once I got into 3D... it was this opener of the original game that got me wanting to do animations - leading me to Poser, whose lack of modeling tools finally led me to Carrara... Here!

Here's that Opener short

Here's the Killer trailer (made of actual in-game captures) that came with Baldur's Gate II

Another take altogether on making movie shorts - a bit less extensive on the animation aspect. While this one does have animations, they're a lot less complex, yet still help to tell the (short) story:

This one has a lot longer run time, no need to watch the whole thing to see the point, though. This one uses little to no actual animation, but rather uses camera pans and zooms of stills to add movement and interest - all just to help tell the tale:

...which led me to accidentally checking out a plethora of other cool Game Cinematics. Some of these are just So Cool... makes me wish that these game companies would just continue the high-end cinematic stuff into a full feature-length movie. But there are plenty of fans doing that for them... linking them together into Epics.

This thing is really cool... a series of Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls Cinematics

Beautiful combination of the style I mentioned just up one post, and actual high-end CG animation cinema-quality clips - all tied together. Sweet!

So in light of finding more and more really cool compilations and intro cinematics and such, I've began building a new Playlist on YouTube - so I don't have to actually watch them in entirety as I find them - just add them to my playlist and watch them when I can:

► Inspiration through Game Trailers Playlist

Inside you'll find cool things like this, which the first minute teaches us that we need to keep watching - for there is much inspiration to come. Just before the second minute begins, it starts to take on a whole new shape... pulling us deeper, harder, and more thoroughly! Man... these folks makes some cool freaking movies!!!

edited October 2016

...which led me to accidentally checking out a plethora of other cool Game Cinematics. Some of these are just So Cool... makes me wish that these game companies would just continue the high-end cinematic stuff into a full feature-length movie. But there are plenty of fans doing that for them... linking them together into Epics.

This thing is really cool... a series of Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls Cinematics

Beautiful combination of the style I mentioned just up one post, and actual high-end CG animation cinema-quality clips - all tied together. Sweet!

you weren't kidding about the quality. Beautiful and intriguing!

especially cool is the 3-Dimensionality of the parchment art. That's way-cool!

good link!

--ms

mindsong said:

you weren't kidding about the quality. Beautiful and intriguing!

especially cool is the 3-Dimensionality of the parchment art. That's way-cool!

good link!

--ms

Man, I just watched it again last night. I really like the effect... and she's really nice looking too. Very good stuff.

I've added a quite a few in my new playlist. Some might raise an eyebrow as to the "why" of my adding it - it all has to do with my finding something inspirational about either the animation, art or even story or pacing techniques. I know there are still a bunch I need to add... very time-consuming is that! LOL

Cheers Mindsong!!!

Is anyone else watching this show?

I watch it on NetFlix... love it!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Yes I've been watching Dark Matter.  Season 2 just started in the UK.

Pretty intense! I'm almost done watching Season 2. I was really happy to see it get its second season!!! ;)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

The 2015/16 reboot of Thunderbirds is pretty inspirational, although it's a mix of CG and miniature sets from Weta - no puppets! (and I still prefer the 60s theme tune, lol!)