The Wakeful Brain Complaint Thread

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,829
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Computer cookies. He is talking about his dos machine. I was told he has dos on it. He was saying his Internet was not working on that machine. Mum thinks I can fix it. My stepfather also says it is dial up and I have not had a computer that can do dial up in a long time.

SWEET MOTHER OF CELESTIA, IS YOUR FATHER LIVING IN THE JURASSIC ERA OR WHAT? :bug: :bug: :bug: :bug: :bug:

I knew that the dude in 2008 who was my co-worker and adamantly had the opinion of Windows 95 being the best thing ever was full of it, but whoa. WHOA.

My stepfather is the one who has an old computer. My father works with computers as a job. They are two different people.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I had bite marks on my arms that have not healed yet. It takes time to heal. I am not Wolverine and I do not have his healing ability. My stepfather thinks that means bugs are still biting me. No it just means they have not healed yet.
    Unless you have CLEANED all items from your old place before they went to the new place you can carry eggs and the small mites from place to place with you. The mites will even ride on you, sometimes even the larger ones. We keep a tight watch on my trucker brother and always clean everything after every road trip. That includes spaying his truck when he gets home from a trip. They are hard to handle but it can be done. Clean everything, wash all cloth, take the hottest shower you can handle, spray every item that MIGHT have one or two mites on it, vehicles are a known place they will hide, SPRAY the crap out of it. We keep a very tight eye out but still have trouble from time to time due to all his over the road trips.

Mum and I have been berg careful about it. We are trying our best to make sure we do not bring them with us. We know how bad they are. All the clothes I have saved from the old apartment has been washed and washed.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

Just a tip, they will even hide on books and stuff if those items are close to a nest. My brother is a big reader and we spray his books also. Especially the hard bound ones, the buggers will hide inside the part where the cover and spine are separate.

EDIT: Do you have Plush animals from your old bed? Those would need treated.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Maybe back to sculpting? I think my fingers and hands can handle working with Sculpey

*rps off head, kicks it up and down between the cubes at work* :snake: :vampire:

Sculpy? I used to work with that stuff. Lot's of fun, until you can not get it to dry properly. You have any tips for the drying process?

Pick your head back up and and put it back on. You'll need it to enjoy the up coming weekend.

I want my own .com but I'm too lame to build a good web site. Besides who would visit for my scattered stuff?

The trick with Sculpey is oven drying, and you have to be REAL careful with the temperature - too low and it'll be wet inside and eventually crack, too hot and it'll either crack in the oven or release nasty-smelling gas. I've used a loose aluminum wrap during baking to good effect, but I don't work in any kind of large scale - just small models, table-top size no greater than about six-seven inches tall.

I'll get my head later, right now it's been nothing but trouble so it can stay under my desk for a bit.

Urgh, .com reminds me that I need to redo my Website to be my writing/authors landing page, with links to my blog, my AuthorsDen site, and my DeviantArt site! Carp, I need a camera too so I can take pics of my sculptures and put 'em on DeviantArt.. dang dang dang! There goes my weekend, well, the part where I'm not gorging myself on home-made chicken wings! :snake:

I'm sick of writing code, I swear. Within 5 years my GOAL is to make enough from writing to stop programming full-time and just consult part-time to fill in the bank account with retirement money. Having decided on that, I can now plan how to get from Here to There.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

My stepfather is the one who has an old computer. My father works with computers as a job. They are two different people.

Yes, sorry... had a... miss-step there. :) Sentiment, however, remains. Does he have fossilized bones?

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited August 2012

Meh can't sleep tonight - wide awake at 0230 Friday AM ! There are a couple of owls perched near my window, with what look like white feathers on their wings, is too dark to tell for sure.

Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    Without shoes, I weigh about 140lbs. I don't know if that's good or bad.

*Edit* Actually a bit closer to 142 ~ 145 lbs.

I'm 5 8 140lbs or so and people always say I'm too thin, I don't worry about it my best friend is 6 3 and 300lbs, he worries :)

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Home and cooking. Cleaning a lot of stuff off my 2 macines that has nothing to do with writing, freeing up a TON of space. Grabbing some music from Amazon to listen to whilst writing, or working on anime. Oh...

..installing Anime Studio Pro. Time to sit down with the Wacom tablet and see if I can get my now-ancient drawing chops back. For no reason at ALL exceot as a challengng hobby! I blame Rezca (lol) and the amizing things she can do with Photoshop!!!

Eat (beef and veggies in Chinesw crushed red pepper and chili oil), watch "Nacho Libre", then bedtime! Tomorrow is more work on THE PLAN - I need to find small magazines and eZines that accept unsolicited manuscripts. Work work work! :coolsmile:

Everyone have a great day/evening/night!

Friends from our local writer's guild have a large grant to establish an e-commerce platform for people to sell e-books without brokerage fees, I'll let you know how it all turns out.

That's a cool idea - right now, I'm targeting Kindle Nook, and then Smashwords (distributor). I want to get a few short stories/flash fiction pieces published either in eZines or on dead trees, then work from there into selling collections of my works and novella-length series on Amazon/Barnes and Noble/Smashwords. It's all part of my PLAN.

Early days yet with the new publishing models but newsprint sales have collapsed here, bookshops have closed all over and even small blogs have thousands of page views a week, don't know how that will all translate into $$. Is probably good that the old monopolies are shrinking, but I guess there is a lot of uncertainty about what will and won't work as new platforms come and go One writer I know has some success giving half of it away and charging for the rest, don't know how sustainable that will be in the long run :)

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Non-Complaint day:

Woke up feeling great for a change, I'm going to try to enjoy it.
    I have all day to do anything I want, no commitments at all.
    Installing new content and playing with it is fun, organizing bites but must be done.
    As the first official DAZ3D Addict I'm going to try to get back into rendering more often.
    I got sit-coms on the TV for fun and giggles...
    Last but not least, I'm working on a beer buzz to get the day started.

Hey gratz :)

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    ps1borg said:
    Home and cooking. Cleaning a lot of stuff off my 2 macines that has nothing to do with writing, freeing up a TON of space. Grabbing some music from Amazon to listen to whilst writing, or working on anime. Oh...

..installing Anime Studio Pro. Time to sit down with the Wacom tablet and see if I can get my now-ancient drawing chops back. For no reason at ALL exceot as a challengng hobby! I blame Rezca (lol) and the amizing things she can do with Photoshop!!!

Eat (beef and veggies in Chinesw crushed red pepper and chili oil), watch "Nacho Libre", then bedtime! Tomorrow is more work on THE PLAN - I need to find small magazines and eZines that accept unsolicited manuscripts. Work work work! :coolsmile:

Everyone have a great day/evening/night!

Friends from our local writer's guild have a large grant to establish an e-commerce platform for people to sell e-books without brokerage fees, I'll let you know how it all turns out.

That's a cool idea - right now, I'm targeting Kindle Nook, and then Smashwords (distributor). I want to get a few short stories/flash fiction pieces published either in eZines or on dead trees, then work from there into selling collections of my works and novella-length series on Amazon/Barnes and Noble/Smashwords. It's all part of my PLAN.

Early days yet with the new publishing models but newsprint sales have collapsed here, bookshops have closed all over and even small blogs have thousands of page views a week, don't know how that will all translate into $$. Is probably good that the old monopolies are shrinking, but I guess there is a lot of uncertainty about what will and won't work as new platforms come and go One writer I know has some success giving half of it away and charging for the rest, don't know how sustainable that will be in the long run :)

I've seen that model work quite well on Amazon and Smashwords - the first novel/novella/part is either free or 99 cents, then the next one is $299 or $1.99 or such. Reviews and word of mouth drive sales of follow-on works. I think some folks on Amazon are raking in about $4000/month on this model - you need to have a LOT of books in you catalog, though. But it seems to work!

The trick appears to be to have a huge back catalog new fans will want to buy, keep the cost down per-unit so people are willing to pay and not pirate, and continually attract new fans. Keep the books flowing, make your fanbase happy, o occasion try something new, and you'll do OK. Get rich? Not likely. make a survivable living? Sure!

Dead tree publishing is pretty much dead in the main. There will always be a market for print, but it's probably going to be specialty publications and niche items, as more and more written content is consumed on phones and tablets.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next!

edited December 1969

ARGH!! I'm still having a good day but argh anyway. I decided to wash my car, it's all nice and sunny and not way hot so off I went. I hooked up my washer thing to my hose pipe, it does the work not me, and got to it. Within five minutes the darn skeeters were making a major meal out of me. Bites all over the place, so argh. Car washing is put off until I get some DEEP WOODS OFF or something very close.

Man, I itch now. ARGH!!

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    ARGH!! I'm still having a good day but argh anyway. I decided to wash my car, it's all nice and sunny and not way hot so off I went. I hooked up my washer thing to my hose pipe, it does the work not me, and got to it. Within five minutes the darn skeeters were making a major meal out of me. Bites all over the place, so argh. Car washing is put off until I get some DEEP WOODS OFF or something very close.

Man, I itch now. ARGH!!

Yikes! You're what's for dinner!!! :ahhh:

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,511
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Man, I itch now. ARGH!!

I hate the down south mosquito's. Up North we don't have to worry about them to much except in the summer. Down south you can have them all year and they're the size of buicks.

edited December 1969

You should have seen the thing in my kitchen last night. I have a 300 lum florescent light as my porch light so I can see my yard. This monster flew in when I feed the animals last night. It looked like a hornet but had to be close to three inches long. I killed the kitchen lights and held the backdoor open, it went back to fighting the porch light when the kitchen went dark. BIG MOTHER whatever it was.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    You should have seen the thing in my kitchen last night. I have a 300 lum florescent light as my porch light so I can see my yard. This monster flew in when I feed the animals last night. It looked like a hornet but had to be close to three inches long. I killed the kitchen lights and held the backdoor open, it went back to fighting the porch light when the kitchen went dark. BIG MOTHER whatever it was.

Sounds like a wood borer wasp. We had those in Dallas, suckers were HUGE and scary. Typically they get around 2 to 2-1/2 inches long.

Never got stung by one, no idea how aggressive they are. But they're too big to mess with!!! :ahhh:

edited December 1969

Life is just getting worse before it is getting better. When mum and I went to a doctor and do errands, my stepfather went into my car and rummaged it to the point it was a mess.

He also pulled back the sheets on the bed and said I did not make the bed.

I just wish I could wake up from this nightmare. I want to be anywhere but here.

edited August 2012

Sounds like a wood borer wasp. We had those in Dallas, suckers were HUGE and scary. Typically they get around 2 to 2-1/2 inches long.

Never got stung by one, no idea how aggressive they are. But they're too big to mess with!!! :ahhh:
    About this big but it was a little thinner than this one. I was NOT going near the sucker.
    mandarinia1.jpg
    640 x 511 - 41K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

That's what it sounds like to me to. We had them in Texas City when we were there.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

About this big but it was a little thinner than this one. I was NOT going near the sucker.

Was it the same color or was it brown to blackish in color.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

That thing is GINORMOUS!!!! :bug: :ohh: :ahhh:

I'd leave the house until it left.. crikey!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Life is just getting worse before it is getting better. When mum and I went to a doctor and do errands, my stepfather went into my car and rummaged it to the point it was a mess.

I just wish I could wake up from this nightmare. I want to be anywhere but here.

i hope he majorly regrets not helping your mum help you with your rent when you needed it.

edited December 1969

It sounds like your gonna have to get a second part time job so you can get out on your own again. Like I said before. I had 1 full time and two part time to support my family for many years. You do what you have to do to survive.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Ultraman original series went on sale :lol:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DQSKLU

lala ultraman, here he comes from the sky.

it's in Japanese with english subtitles.

1966, i remember watching it on uhf channels. it was a dial under the regular dial.
    we had to get up and go to the tv to change the channel in those days.

edited December 1969

Ultraman original series went on sale :lol:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DQSKLU

lala ultraman, here he comes from the sky.

it's in Japanese with english subtitles.

1966, i remember watching it on uhf channels. it was a dial under the regular dial.
    we had to get up and go to the tv to change the channel in those days.

Wow! I faintly remember Ultraman.. from when I was real young, although I can't recall where or when any more. Cool! :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Blech, getting a headache. Grinding my jaws and getting tension in my shoulders and neck. Blech.

But THE PLAN is taking shape and I think I have the basics in mind and down in my spreadsheet. I foresee gettig up earlier in the orning and staying up later at night, for a while, maybe years.

Since I'm taking a week off (the week of September 3rd) I've decided not to go anywhere, but turn it into a week-long "writers retreat" - stay home, drink coffee, write, visit local museums and art shops, get ideas, come home and write more, listen to music, write a bit, then sleep off and on and.. well.. write more! :coolcheese:

I've found a couple of online eZines that take unsolicited manuscripts for short stories and flash fiction, and PAY (only $20-$50).. these are my first targets! :vampire: Print magazines will be next, after I place one in an online 'zine. this will get me some experience dealing with a large number of rejection letters (heh).

Sigh - to buy a single-cup coffeemaker for my room, or just stick with tea and make coffee in the kitchen? Do I want to have to get up and walk all the way in, start water, watch for it to boil etc. etc. when I just want a hot cup while I'm scrivening? Argh. :-S

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Jaderail said:

Was it the same color or was it brown to blackish in color.The same Yellow and Black stripped. It's gone now but I do not wish another visit any time soon.

edited December 1969

Sigh - to buy a single-cup coffeemaker for my room, or just stick with tea and make coffee in the kitchen? Do I want to have to get up and walk all the way in, start water, watch for it to boil etc. etc. when I just want a hot cup while I'm scrivening? Argh. :-S
    I have one of those Cup on demand kind. It holds 12 cups of water but you have to fill the drip filter every time. It took ages to find one that did not use those little cups of blends. It takes my folgers just fine. But for you, you could try one of those thermal carafe pitcher things. They will keep hot HOT for a long time. We used them at the restaurant I ran for awhile.
    edited December 1969

I need to get a job but my stepfather hid my car key.

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited December 1969

I am just finding out about this Japanese film about a young Tyrannosaurus that's protecting an anklyosaur (For some reason. I haven't actually read about it or watched it yet.).

Right here the main character (A blue trex with orange stripes) sees the dominant males in the area about to eat his friend, then he proceeds to beat the crap out of all of them XD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp8I1kskkIg

YOU DONT TOUCH MY FRIEND

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I have one of those Cup on demand kind. It holds 12 cups of water but you have to fill the drip filter every time. It took ages to find one that did not use those little cups of blends. It takes my folgers just fine. But for you, you could try one of those thermal carafe pitcher things. They will keep hot HOT for a long time. We used them at the restaurant I ran for awhile.

You know, that's a GREAT idea! I'll look for one! I could have coffee all evening... :coolsmile:

This discussion has been closed.