Bizarre DAZ name choices Pt 3 - the Holiday Apartment is not an apartment at all

CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

As mentioned in several past posts,most recently this one ,  I've begun to wonder if DAZ marketing is seriously looking at products before putting them in the catalog, as some of the names are extremely inaccurate.  The latest example is today's Holiday Apartment, which, I should stress, is a very nice loking product, but... it's not an apartment  An apartment, by defnition, is "a self-contained housing unit that occupies only a part of a larger building,"  And yet, the Holiday Apartment clearly isn't a part of a larger building.  It's a complete standalone structure with a full exterior and a wrap-around landscape, a much more involved product that the current name implies.

Why is this an issue?  Because I actually didn't even bother to look at it at first, as I have a ton of apartment sets already.  Needless to say, I was rather surprised when I finally did take look and discovered that it's actually what could best be described as a bungalow por beach cottage, and at that point it immediately went in my cart.  I can only wonder how many other people have bypassed the product thinking as I did initially, and how many sales that may have cost the artist.       

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Yeah, I found that weird, too, but, you know...

More importantly!  Have you installed it yet?  I can't tell if any walls are removable.  An interior floorplan would have been nice, too.  You get nice views of the kitchen area, which looks fantastic, but only a little peek in the bedroom and all we know about the living area is that there's a sectional sofa.  This is the first set of this type by this PA, it's hard to know how they put things together.

• ZaiZai Posts: 289

I've seen "garden apartments" that are like this, sort of separate. Also, I assume holiday means vacation in this instance ...maybe that's it?

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775

In Europe, if you book an "apartment" when you go on holiday (that's a vacation), you're booking somewhere that is fully equipped with a kitchen as well as a bathroom - as opposed to hotel accommodation where you can't self-cater. The name doesn't imply anything about the physical configuration of the place - they might be in high-rise blocks, or clusters of low rise buildings like houses, or even (in theory) single buildings like the one shown, though I don't think it would be very profitable to offer holiday accommodation in such a low-density way.

So, to turn the question around, if you were staying in this building whilst on vacation, what would you call it? A cabin maybe?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Isn't that what is called a bungalow? It's super nice, I didn't look at it either because it was labeled an apartment.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

In Europe, if you book an "apartment" when you go on holiday (that's a vacation), you're booking somewhere that is fully equipped with a kitchen as well as a bathroom - as opposed to hotel accommodation where you can't self-cater. The name doesn't imply anything about the physical configuration of the place - they might be in high-rise blocks, or clusters of low rise buildings like houses, or even (in theory) single buildings like the one shown, though I don't think it would be very profitable to offer holiday accommodation in such a low-density way.

So, to turn the question around, if you were staying in this building whilst on vacation, what would you call it? A cabin maybe?

It's a bungalow or cottage. 

edited April 2020
    Zai said:

I've seen "garden apartments" that are like this, sort of separate. Also, I assume holiday means vacation in this instance ...maybe that's it?

websters -

Definition of garden apartment

: a multiple-unit low-rise dwelling having considerable lawn or garden space

Post edited by Cybersox on
    Sevrin said:

More importantly!  Have you installed it yet?  I can't tell if any walls are removable.  An interior floorplan would have been nice, too.  You get nice views of the kitchen area, which looks fantastic, but only a little peek in the bedroom and all we know about the living area is that there's a sectional sofa.  This is the first set of this type by this PA, it's hard to know how they put things together.

It's a mixed bag.  A lot of the furniture is presented as fixed groups of props, like the covers are part of the bed, the ceiling fans are all a single object, and none of the cabinets open.  On the other hand, ALL of the interior and exterior doors and windows, except for the shower door, are rigged to open and close.  So, roughly approximate to what you get from Tesla and PespectX in the same price range.

• LucielLuciel Posts: 475

Pretty much all the names are weird in some way. 

The one that stood out recently (even though it's not recent) was Kyoto dental clinic https://www.daz3d.com/kyoto-dental-clinic . Which I assume doubles as an English learning center (or is for English speaking foreigners) as all the signs are in English, which is odd for Japan. I mean i wont go into how there's signs for blood pressure and kidney disease. Though that also raises some questions. 

I guess as all store names have to be unique they have to stretch things a bit. 

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,800

I can understand the confusion about all this, but I wouldn't be to picky, since not everybody is a native english speaker.

BTW: The internet is also happening outside the US. smiley

I assume cherry picking is a way to deal with isolation, ... maybe?

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

All PAs aren't Americans. I'm also pretty sure that DAZ 3D doesn't pick the names unless they violate TOS. 

Not to mention why bother mentioning? All choices hace consequences. If one chooses not to look at something because reasons, one shouldn't be grumbly about finding that wasn't the optimum choice.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I don't go off names so much as the image; i look at promo image and decide if i wanta closer look.

A name might pique my curiosity but basically, none of the stuff is essential for me outside of the hobby. I discover items sometimes months (and longer) after they've been released; to me, it doesn't matter.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    Cybersox said:
    Zai said:

websters -

Can you check websters for what a "Handy" is, please...

'Cause thats what people here in Germany call their smartphones/cell phones.. probably dates from the time when there were "handheld" phones or suchlike.

And in the - now closed - German Democratic Republic a roasted chicken would be called a "Broiler" - because it was, well, kinda broiled probably - even though the use of the english language wasn't very widely spread there.

Or to say it different: Just because a certain word has a definition in Webster's that might not be the only one when it's used in other countries...

What does Webster's say about the differences between english (the real one..) and american english, btw? Like all those tiny differences pavement / sidewalk, bonnet / hood and whatever else is there. Would using real english - so, the british version - sound also strange to you?

fastbike1 said:

All PAs aren't Americans. I'm also pretty sure that DAZ 3D doesn't pick the names unless they violate TOS. 

Not to mention why bother mentioning?

The main reason is that when people are searching for a particular type of product, the product is unlikely to come up if you're searching with what should be the correct keywords. So, the PA can lose a potential sale and the customer can miss a product that might have fit their needs better than what they ultimately bought.  And that's not even taking into account the simple fact that when you've got a lot of products in your runtimes, as I do, it can be a royal PITA trying to keep track of which products are not actually what the name implies.  It just strikes me as really odd that DAZ can send outfits back to PAs with instructions to add more wrinkles, but no one says "Um... this thing listed as a Jet is a prop plane" or "This is a full house, not an apartment."  

Cybersox said:
    Zai said:

websters -

'Cause thats what people here in Germany call their smartphones/cell phones.. probably dates from the time when there were "handheld" phones or suchlike.

And in the - now closed - German Democratic Republic a roasted chicken would be called a "Broiler" - because it was, well, kinda broiled probably - even though the use of the english language wasn't very widely spread there.

Or to say it different: Just because a certain word has a definition in Webster's that might not be the only one when it's used in other countries...

What does Webster's say about the differences between english (the real one..) and american english, btw? Like all those tiny differences pavement / sidewalk, bonnet / hood and whatever else is there. Would using real english - so, the british version - sound also strange to you?

Frankly, a lot of American dialects of English sound strange to me, but then again, even the Queen of England no longer speaks in what purists consider to be the true Queen's English aka Recieved Pronunciation, and nor do the vast majority of her subjects.  (Note - I was a theatre major and spent way too much time studying dialects and accents.  I've also put in my time in the UK as well as OZ, and the only language difference that I could never get the hang of was the extreme difference of the meaning of "fanny."  That one's just weird.) However, in this case we're talking about Written English, and while there are actually 15 distinct written forms of English (check your language selection in Word) before one even attempts to go into all the dialects, U.S. standard is by far the most commonly used, at nearly triple the next most used version, which is Indian English, and nearly six times that of British Standard if, and only if, one includes Scotland and Wales. That said, sInce the DAZ website is based in the U.S., one expects it to be in U.S. English, though I personally I wouldn't have a problem with a model of a truck being called a lorry, or an apartment being called a flat, as long it actually was one.   

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    Cybersox said:
    Zai said:

websters -

Broiler is what chicken raised for meat are called here.

Sevrin said:
    Cybersox said:
    Zai said:

websters -

Broiler is what chicken raised for meat are called here.

Actually, Broiler is a technical term butchers use to refer to the age and size of the chicken.  As chickens age and become larger, the meat requires more intensive cooking methods to make sure it's tender and properly cooked.  The main categories are:

(copied from www.thekitchn.com)

• Broilers: Chickens 6 to 8 weeks old and weighing about 2 1/2 pounds
    • Fryers: Chickens 6 to 8 weeks old and weighing 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds
    • Roasters: Chickens less than 8 months old and weighing 3 1/2 to 5 pounds
    • Stewing Chickens: Chickens (usually hens) over 10 months old and weighing 5 to 7 pounds

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Broiler is not an English term  it is an American term

Chohole said:

Broiler is not an English term  it is an American term

Why makes it getting used in the German Democratic Republic - y'know, the part that got controlled by russia after WWII - even more interesting.

fastbike1 said:

It just strikes me as really odd that DAZ can send outfits back to PAs with instructions to add more wrinkles, but no one says "Um... this thing listed as a Jet is a prop plane" or "This is a full house, not an apartment."  

Well, that I can understand, as seeing a japanese fighter plane suddenly being "converted" into taking a torpedo payload made me shake my head in wonder, too...

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@maikdecker "japanese fighter plane suddenly being "converted" into taking a torpedo payload made me shake my head"

Had mumbling to myself as well. However, especially in these times, gumbling about product names seems hardly worth it. Neither the Zero or the "holiday Apartment" are unusable. If folks have trouble keeping track of their Studio assets, that's not DAZ' or the PA's fault. Even then it's just not that big of a deal.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

But I think you can say it is their fault if the sales end up low because people didn't know what it was. Confusing customers with the name of the product, no matter how unintentional it may be, is never, ever a good thing. That is the bottom line. We have people here who say they passed it over because they thought it was something different. That's all it takes in a store that gets new products every day. Your product has to be able to be found by customers in a store that has over 20K items. This can ultimately effect us all in small ways. Because if a product does poorly, that PA may not want to attempt it again, or perhaps in a worst case, they quit making products. Then customers might lose out on potentially cool stuff they could have made. So it does matter. I think we all want to see good PAs and good products get rewarded for their work and do well. So while it might seem trivial that a product has an unfortunate name, there are impacts. It can certainly impact the PAs themselves. There are people who specialize in making websites show up in Google search for a reason. PAs have to seriously think about how their products will show up in Daz store searches.

I know its difficult for non English PAs, and there are PAs all over the world now. Some of my favorite PAs are on the other side of the globe and I am not sure if they know any English at all, or if they just use Google Translate, LOL. But I think we can safely say most buyers are in the US or speak English fluently.

edited April 2020

But I think you can say it is their fault if the sales end up low because people didn't know what it was. Confusing customers with the name of the product, no matter how unintentional it may be, is never, ever a good thing. That is the bottom line. We have people here who say they passed it over because they thought it was something different. That's all it takes in a store that gets new products every day. Your product has to be able to be found by customers in a store that has over 20K items. This can ultimately effect us all in small ways. Because if a product does poorly, that PA may not want to attempt it again, or perhaps in a worst case, they quit making products. Then customers might lose out on potentially cool stuff they could have made. So it does matter. I think we all want to see good PAs and good products get rewarded for their work and do well. So while it might seem trivial that a product has an unfortunate name, there are impacts. It can certainly impact the PAs themselves. There are people who specialize in making websites show up in Google search for a reason. PAs have to seriously think about how their products will show up in Daz store searches.

I know its difficult for non English PAs, and there are PAs all over the world now. Some of my favorite PAs are on the other side of the globe and I am not sure if they know any English at all, or if they just use Google Translate, LOL. But I think we can safely say most buyers are in the US or speak English fluently.

Eaxactly.  And whether a PA has a solid grasp of English or not, they have a reasonable right to expect DAZ to market their products in the most effective manner.  As it is, having an odd name is one thing, but having a name that is actually misleading in a way that negatively impacts the product doesn't do anyone - not the PA, not the customer, and not DAZ itself - any favors.  And it's not as if products haven't had their names changed after being relesed in the past.   

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • vagansvagans Posts: 422
    Cybersox said:
    Sevrin said:

It's a mixed bag.  A lot of the furniture is presented as fixed groups of props, like the covers are part of the bed, the ceiling fans are all a single object, and none of the cabinets open.  On the other hand, ALL of the interior and exterior doors and windows, except for the shower door, are rigged to open and close.  So, roughly approximate to what you get from Tesla and PespectX in the same price range.

Even the windows open... but the shower door isn't rigged? So from the screenshots, it's just hanging slightly open fixed in place?

.. PAs have to seriously think about how their products will show up in Daz store searches.

Well, it would help then if the shop page had a search option with more functionality. For me at least it's usually "chose a category, then go through all the items showing up in it" with only a rare search for certain words.

.. But I think we can safely say most buyers are in the US or speak English fluently.

That is probably true. And funny, even though You probably did mean it different than how it comes out for some who read it... devil

vagans said:
    Cybersox said:
    Sevrin said:

Even the windows open... but the shower door isn't rigged? So from the screenshots, it's just hanging slightly open fixed in place?

Seemed to be that way.  The toilet's permanently open as well, although the lid/seat are separate from the porcelain base. Another odd choice was that the blankets and the pillows on the couch are all one unit, so you can either have all the accessories or none.    

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    edited April 2020

.. PAs have to seriously think about how their products will show up in Daz store searches.

Well, it would help then if the shop page had a search option with more functionality. For me at least it's usually "chose a category, then go through all the items showing up in it" with only a rare search for certain words.

.. But I think we can safely say most buyers are in the US or speak English fluently.

That is probably true. And funny, even though You probably did mean it different than how it comes out for some who read it... devil

Daz products show up in Google searches, too. If the store is frustrating you, you can use the Google site search to specifically search the store section of Daz.com. Plus you can use all the search modifiers you like.

Also, do you have the Daz deals browser add on? That adds extra functionality to the store search, too. I've been using that add on so long I can't remember all things it adds, but I know some of the basic stuff I routinely use come from that add on.

I'm sure some people already are thinking that way. <.<
    Post edited by outrider42 on