Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 13

Comments

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

So what is everybody getting for their free $20 worth of  DAZ Originals?

I'm considering FG Gamers Bundle and Underground Dance Club and Bar

I got me FG Gamers Bundle and all in all it was worth it, but there's a few weird things going on with it.

The outfit for example is quite nice, but the top consists of a combination of shirt and a tube top, which is only a surface right under the shirt. Using dForce and some poses results in the tube top "breaking the plane" of the shirt. When the basic textures are used, this is nearly invisible, but if one changes the colours of shirt and tube top - due to style issues ;) - the effect shows quite severely. Solution for me: use the geometry editor tool to remove the tube top "material" and use a real tube top product instead.

The room has a couple items that seem to lack textures. Like a comic book with only blank grey pages and a soda can with a material zone called "label" but no label in the materials ^^

All of these little bugs are not that difficult to fix, if one is ready to spend some time and has the knowledge to deal with them.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,738
    edited April 2020

The last four.  Monthly Save6 coupon works, it only takes $5.50 off  though but I'm Ok with that.

dazcart-2020-04-02_01-30-40.png
    684 x 868 - 165K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

If you aren't watching CBS, Garth and Trisha are doing an impromptu concert for everyone right now. It's amazing. They're laughing and joking around and taking Facebook requests LIVE. Join the fun! 

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

What is this about "free $20 worth of Daz Originals" ?   Is that a pop-up or did it go away already or what? I don't see anything about that on the main shopping page deal banner or the Madness page....
       ~Gen

@genaris and @taoz   I am PMing you, give me a minute. 

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

I didn't do the $20 of free Daz.  There wasn't another New Mad Release that I was interested in today.

Use the cheapie item if you bought something new in the past three days. I had PMd you.

edited April 2020

Florida had 1037 new cases yesterday. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,199
    edited April 2020

I got these overall textures, and I'd cry too, if somebody gave me that banana man to play with.

Baby Tobyn mod dForce Overalls_001_Camera (6)-denoise.jpg
    1538 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on

LOL that banana man is priceless! Well done. 

edited April 2020

Micaela (Gabriela 8)      Apex Hair (G3F / G8F)      dForce Boho Boutique Bubble Dress  (G8F)   and Sophisticated

I like the boots having separate material zones for the straps, you can make them match the color of the dress (blue.)  Note I darkened the blue of the dress because it was so light, there was quite a bit of detail loss due to the lighting.

Something funny- I kept thinking the side panels of that jacket were poke through and I was like, "Dang, no matter what I do, I just can't get rid of it!"  Then I thought I'd better check the promo images and sure enough, it's material panels which match the dress. DUH. So have you done anything DUH lately?

Micaela Combined Sig.png
    799 x 784 - 991K
    Post edited by Novica on
    barbult said:

I got these overall textures, and I'd cry too, if somebody gave me that banana man to play with.

Hey, what set is that?  Or is it a kitbash?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,199
    edited April 2020
    Novica said:
    barbult said:

The background setting? That is Restoration Shop. The overalls outfit is dForce Overalls Outfit if G8M. The shoes are PreT Girls Sandals. The character is a dialed mix with lots of Tobyn. The overalls textures are dForce Overalls Outfit Textures

Post edited by barbult on

@barbult   Thanks- love it!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    barbult said:

LOL, at the railroader overalls. One of my uncles must of worn those his whole life except when he was in diapers or at work.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,756

I would like to thank @Carola_O for all of the lovely renders where she listed this light set by Skywolf, and showed just how effective and versatile it was. There was no forum references, but many renders. I bought the set this morning based on her work and hope I can be as skillful as she is with them.

Mary

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

My most recent "duh moment" was working on my last render and no matter how much brighter I made the ghost light, my lighting didn't change. I was working in the beta so I tried it in the released version. Still wasn't working.

And then I saw it.

The little "eye" icon next the light in the scene tab.

The eye was shut!

Somewhere along the line, testing this and then that, I'd managed to turn off the light. "duh!"

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited April 2020

*blinks... blinks again* oohh wow, thanks @memcneil70 *happy smile* I do love that set, as well as the other two sets of the Luminosity lights that Skywolf has made ( Luminosity Black and Luminosity )

Post edited by Carola O on

@Carola_O I have those two sets already!!!

Seriously, like pose sets, I think light sets need threads to explore all their options so new users, or less experienced users, can learn from others and then try their hands at renders with the products. 

And I will be totally honest, a pose or a light, is often the first thing or the second, that I flip through during a render set up, and forget what I used. And then go crazy later trying to find out the one I used.

L'Adair said:

My most recent "duh moment" was working on my last render and no matter how much brighter I made the ghost light, my lighting didn't change. I was working in the beta so I tried it in the released version. Still wasn't working.

And then I saw it.

The eye was shut!

Somewhere along the line, testing this and then that, I'd managed to turn off the light. "duh!"

I did that last week, rendered a bald female because I had turned off the hair. I was SIXTEEN MINUTES into it when I looked at it and thought, "Something's not right... OH SERIOUSLY!"  I mean it, I was sitting at the computer doing paperwork and looked at that screen at least half a dozen times and it didn't register. 

edited April 2020

And I will be totally honest, a pose or a light, is often the first thing or the second, that I flip through during a render set up, and forget what I used. And then go crazy later trying to find out the one I used.

Mary, have you done light presets? I have the front view so no matter if you're doing a scene or portrait, you know the light sets you make will always come at the person/prop from the view from the front. Then you can rotate them to achieve the effect you want. Then you can name the light preset whatever you want, which sometimes I name after a character where I particularly liked the results.

Post edited by Novica on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:
    L'Adair said:

And then I saw it.

The eye was shut!

I did that last week, rendered a bald female because I had turned off the hair. I was SIXTEEN MINUTES into it when I looked at it and thought, "Something's not right... OH SERIOUSLY!"  I mean it, I was sitting at the computer doing paperwork and looked at that screen at least half a dozen times and it didn't register. 

Thanks for the giggle. I needed that.

(I assume you know you can disable Visible in Viewport while leaving Visible in Render enabled. I've been doing that with hair a lot lately. And anything I need to see through while setting up the scene but want in the render; Like ceiling, for example.)

edited April 2020

@Novica, Actually, before my iMac had all its files destroyed for DS by Nvidia, during repeated updates, I had some presets I had made based on your tutorial during one of your first threads. Female in armor, and cute little dragonling critters. You were showing how to handle multiple characters and pinpoint lights and all kinds of great stuff. I always wondered if after Iray, if you ever revisited that and updated it?

And goofs, all the time. This render I am posting, the mask strings was put on before the coat, so the bottom strings showed up after the render was an hour into processing. I finally tried deleting the mask, and then put it back on, over the coat, with minor adjustments. The coat also, well, dForce would not work with a G2 era outfit. So the camera was moved as the morphs just turned it into a mess. Second render, the hair cap showed through, and I had lost 45 minutes. Turned it off, all good. 

When I started working with Hua, the news was on and the death of a 6 day old baby hit me. So, I wanted to honor the researchers working so hard behind the scenes trying to find a cure or figure out how this virus works on the body. I kitbashed the outfit from G8F, G3M, and G2M clothing sets: High Waist Pants, top, glasses, and shoes, a lab coat, and mask and used the Quarantine Room. (I used a pose from Advanced Seated Poses and the chairs in the Quarantine Room fit perfectly.) I want to note the hair with the character had great morphs to allow this messy, exhausted look. It is easy to get 'perfect' hair styles, but to find hairs that also give you a realistic disheveled look is not that easy. I just had to fight with the glasses a bit.

Mary

Another Dead End.png
    1200 x 1440 - 3M
    Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742
    barbult said:
    Novica said:
    barbult said:

The background setting? That is Restoration Shop. The overalls outfit is dForce Overalls Outfit if G8M. The shoes are PreT Girls Sandals. The character is a dialed mix with lots of Tobyn. The overalls textures are dForce Overalls Outfit Textures

Great kit bash! Never thought of using the overalls on a kid! 

@memcneil70   That is beautiful. Captures the weariness, the stoic determination. 

edited April 2020

Mindie (G8F)        Shirley Hair  (G3F / G8F)       Racing Queen's Outfit (G8F) 

I used Dumor's Iray HDRI Apocalyptic Plant Indoors Set 2 lighting. I like that set for muted indoor scenes. 

I colored it out in postwork, but the corners of her eyes went coal black. The schlera? The hair was doing wonky things and I'm not sure if I just scaled the hair and it went into the eyes (giving new meaning to having hair in your eyes...)   I didn't save the scene so I can't check it and I saw it too late. 

I'm touching up the hair as it seems to be slightly embedded in the chest, but leaving this here for now.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2020
    Miindie Shirley Hair RacingSuit .png
    769 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130
    L'Adair said:
    Novica said:
    L'Adair said:

And then I saw it.

The eye was shut!

Thanks for the giggle. I needed that.

(I assume you know you can disable Visible in Viewport while leaving Visible in Render enabled. I've been doing that with hair a lot lately. And anything I need to see through while setting up the scene but want in the render; Like ceiling, for example.)

That is very good information!

I had read about it when I first started Daz but didn't need it and in the meantime forgot. Just this weekend I had some very high polygon high mesh resolution clothing in the scene and it was slowing it down. I just went back and forth between hiding and making it visible, would have been nice if I rememebered this option :).

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Current promo is discounting gift cards at 35%!! Seems to work at least twice so keep that in mind if you need addition purchases.

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

yea, it's 28% from today's offer and 10% from the bonus for PC+ members.

This discussion has been closed.