Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 13

Comments

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited March 2020

Beautiful Mary!

New render with all first time uses for me!  Really love Zelara's skin but not so much her makeup options, some are ok.  dforce Dragon Lady outfit I like and it drapes well after a bit of playing but to me all the textures look to plasticy.  Surround Curls hair I love!!  It has quite a few movement morphs.  Had some difficulty with the shaders so had to chase down the ReadMe which you should do before you play but what fun is that!! 

Boss Pro light set I use all the time (hard to break out of that box, Love this set).

Zelara 8 HD for G8F     dforce Dragon Lady Outfit for G8F   Surrounding Curls for G8F and G3F     Boss Pro Light Set

Post edited by Daventaki on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

You did a great job with that! @memcneil70

I have something fun for you folks to do while you're at home. We're under a requested "stay at home" unless essential, but Stetson was out of his pellets and supplements so I went out to the barn (first time in a month or more.) It was so nice being out in the country air and I went at 8pm so no one was there except the barn owner (who I had called.)  We sat out on the back deck about eight feet apart, saying how glad we'd be when this is over. Felt weird waving at each other from the end of the barn aisle then staying so far away. Anyway, here's something for you to try. We got on a discussion about a state's capital, then when she looked it up on her phone, she found a quiz that's really neat to take about all 50 states' capitals. You'll get three choices for each state. Just click on the answer you think is right. If you get it right, you get a green check mark, wrong is red but you get the answer.

We sucked at it and laughed so hard when she picked one answer, I guessed another, and it was the third one which neither of us picked. Yep, that bad. Remember when you were a kid and could do all fifty? WHY did we have to memorize that?

So How Many State Capitals Do You Know?

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

With the catchup sale putting Daz O's at extra discount (again!), I'm thinking about Dain 8 and specifically also the Dain 8 HD add-on.

Can someone who understands the HD character add-ons well tell me: is it possible to get all the good skin and body and vein details the HD add-on provides but NOT BE LOCKED INTO THE DAIN 8 SHAPE?? 

I love the look of the Dain 8 skin, the suggestions of subsurface details, (one of the more realistic and impressive G8 M D.O. skins imho) and I don't hate his face, but I got nuttin' but hate for those ridiculous traps and generally overblown body; I'm happily going to buy him for his skin but I'd love to be able to buy and use the HD add-on to get all the great additional surface details --  if only I could have them on a different body (or at least, a completely re-dialled Dain 8 body that makes him look waay different, although on other characters with really strongly overdone traps I have had nearly no success normalizing them via morph sets and dials).

Is this possible, or would buying the HD add-on for Dain8 be a waste of money for my use?       If I mixed the Dain8 down with someother character, would the HD add-on details also go away at the same rate as I mix out the Dain8 character base? or ?    ;) obviously I haven't tried character HD add-ons previously, so I have no clue about how they work.... but I figure someone here knows!
       ~Gen

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,260
    genaris said:

With the catchup sale putting Daz O's at extra discount (again!), I'm thinking about Dain 8 and specifically also the Dain 8 HD add-on.

Can someone who understands the HD character add-ons well tell me: is it possible to get all the good skin and body and vein details the HD add-on provides but NOT BE LOCKED INTO THE DAIN 8 SHAPE?? 

I love the look of the Dain 8 skin, the suggestions of subsurface details, (one of the more realistic and impressive G8 M D.O. skins imho) and I don't hate his face, but I got nuttin' but hate for those ridiculous traps and generally overblown body; I'm happily going to buy him for his skin but I'd love to be able to buy and use the HD add-on to get all the great additional surface details --  if only I could have them on a different body (or at least, a completely re-dialled Dain 8 body that makes him look waay different, although on other characters with really strongly overdone traps I have had nearly no success normalizing them via morph sets and dials).

Is this possible, or would buying the HD add-on for Dain8 be a waste of money for my use?       If I mixed the Dain8 down with someother character, would the HD add-on details also go away at the same rate as I mix out the Dain8 character base? or ?    ;) obviously I haven't tried character HD add-ons previously, so I have no clue about how they work.... but I figure someone here knows!
       ~Gen

The short answer is yes for the question of using the skin, hair, and HD morphs to get those veins and surface details as long as you can handle higher SD levels (3 or 4 rather 1 and 2).  is it a waste of money?  The Hd's are really only useful for closeups and extreme closeups so it depends on what you render.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,158
    edited March 2020

Here is Dain's maps, HD and veins on a character as unlike Dain as possible.

Ollidain_comp.png
    2700 x 4800 - 3M
    Post edited by Gordig on

;) THANK YOU, THANK YOU  @nemesis10 and @Gordig for your answers and render! Looks like I'm gonna be buying them after all (like I need encouragement to keep shopping the MM!). Glad to see that you can get the surface details without being stuck to the shape!
      ~Gen

PS: I thought I was imagining that in his promos Dain8 seemed to have silver grey eyeshadow or concealer on around his eyes, and orangey-coral lipstick, but the OllieDain render @Gordig did shows it really is there. (At least --unlike Michael 6-- Dain doesn't have lipstick smeared outside of his upper lipline onto his skin.)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    nemesis10 said:

Novica said:

Regarding COVID-19   I was looking at the state list of cases on CNN, and thought I'd list them from most to least cases instead of that long alphabetical list. Within each group, they are alphabetical, aka the 3,000's group doesn't mean California, then Florida, then Illinois, etc so far as number of cases.

40,000's    New York

8,000's    New Jersey,

3,000's    California, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, Washington

2,000's    Georgia, Louisiana, Pennsylvania

1,000's    Colorado, Connecticut, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas

900's     Indiana

800's     Wisconsin

700's     Maryland, North Carolina

600's      Alabama, Arizona, Missouri, Virginia

500's      Mississippi, Nevada, South Carolina

400's     Oregon, Utah

300's      Arkansas, Kentucky, Minnesota (398 though), Oklahoma

200's      District of Columbia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Rhode Island

100's      Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Vermont

100 or less    Alaska, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wyoming

Hmmm, those New York & New Jersey numbers being higher than even Californias looks very fishy.

New York had earlier presenting infections so, when you consider geometric progression, California and Florida is about a week to a week and a half behind New York.   California also started social distancing a bit earlier than New York than New York also which slowed things down.  With a geometric progression, in 15 days, California should reach 48,000 cases in 15 days (3000 cases, 3 days later 6000, 3 days later 12000, etc.).

Oh, I thought like toilet paper, dried beans, pasta, and so on got hoarded so did the coronavirus tests because I don't think California, Texas, Florida or the like are catching up. You can't test for the virus presense if others have hoarded all the tests after all.

I saw the map of cases per unit population in the USA and it's highest at the biggest ports of entry in the US by plane and along I-75 (no surprise there as that interstate 75 is bumper to bumper traffic from the Florida Everglades to Michigan, even in rural areas.

I'm waiting for and hoping for home self test kits.

We have sheltering orders here too but I have to go out for allergy immunotherary shots once a week and I can tell you those sent home from work are spending much of their free time running about town as I see them out. Trafic is much heavier now on my weekly trip to get a shot than before the schools and other government jobs closed. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,747

Thank you barbult. Having seen what you accomplished with the product, that kept me pushing to achieve. I love everything you did. But the JSON hacking is all yours!

Mary

I didn't see the third page until I refreshed, so I thank Daventaki and Novica too! 

Daventaki, you did a great job with that outfit. It is so tricky that I think I have used it twice. I agree on the look of the materials. Maybe some silk shaders? The hair is wonderful and needs a character that can pull it off. You did a great job with it.

Novica, I had to ask a customer at Target yesterday to back off while we waited to use the check-out line. They had placed stickers on the floor for distancing, and she had moved right up to inches behind me. She acted all shocked I had the gall to talk to her. The clerks quickly moved us to registers that had opened up. Other than that, folks are generally careful about their movements, and laughing at the dance to avoid each other. 

We can go shop, walk the dog or get exercise walking, biking, running by ourselves or family groups, but other than that, stay at home. One thing the governor set-up right away was that no one could be evicted due to lack of rent money or foreclosed on. Rent is crazy here. A lot of people in my complex periodically worked from home, others didn't. I hardly see anyone. 

I don't think I ever studied state capitals. Vague memory of what cities were the capitals of what states. I think that type of memorization is lazy teaching. You remember better if you know why or how something came about, rather than a date, name, or place; black or white.

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited March 2020

Great renders, discovering Dain maps and HD, thanks everyone for sharing.

New to me : Vanessa for The Girl 8 fun character to use,   Matilda Hair For Genesis 8 Female(s)  Postwork Topaz Studio (which makes her skin appear lighter).

20_vanessa matilda hair.jpg
    700 x 933 - 494K
    Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

Great renders, discovering Dain maps and HD, thanks everyone for sharing.

New to me : Vanessa for The Girl 8 fun character to use,   Matilda Hair For Genesis 8 Female(s)  Postwork Topaz Studio (which makes her skin appear lighter).

She is beautiful, and the background you chose really goes nicely with her, too.

@xmasrose, I agree with barbult. Lovely and what struck me immediately was your palette and how it looked like mixed media pastel/watercolor. So restful.

edited March 2020

Here's some of what I just posted on my Facebook page. 

According to PNJ, As of Sunday morning, the health department said 580 people were tested in Escambia County. The results were 5% positive. For Santa Rosa, 263 people tested with 8% of them returning positive results.

NOW HERE'S THE PROBLEM- there's a very significant lag in the numbers the health department show versus what is actually being done. Our hospitals here (West Florida, Baptist, Sacred Heart, and a few others) HAVE DONE 2701 tests!  So 2,121 results not reported yet

Using a 6% calculation (more than 5% and less than 8%) the Milton/Pace/Gulf Breeze (and possibly Navarre) is possibly looking at 127 NEW CASES that aren't really new. Just not reported yet. If we go with the 8% like Santa Rosa has, we're looking at 170 new cases.

Regardless of whether it's 5%, 6%, 7%, or 8% THE TESTS RESULTS ARE LAGGING BEHIND. In all likelihood, it's worse that what is being reported in this area. That's why health officials are saying to expect to see "a significant increase" in the number of cases that are going to be reported. The testing has already been done, the results are coming. We're also getting more people tested as more kits are becoming available so numbers are going to go up.

And this is probably true for your area of the country too, wherever you are. The good news- most of us are doing what we've been asked to do. Don't get discouraged if the number increases this next week, it's not an indicator of the effectiveness of the quarantine. That will show only when the number of tests match the results, and they're over 2100 tests behind in our area.

As for me, I love having a countryside and barn to visit in the evenings when it's deserted. I take Lysol/Clorox wipes, wipe off the tackroom door handle, and I'm good to go. Elaine (barn owner) came to the barn and she and I sat eight feet apart on the huge back deck of the barn, and enjoyed sitting out in the clean, fresh country air. Both of us have been self quarantining for a couple weeks, but we social distanced anyway. Her barn staff aren't allowed to work together, and she's stocked up on hay and shavings over a month ago.  I'll post a Stetson picture from last night in a few minutes. He's got that glossy Spring coat! 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2020

Here's a little tally I did a couple days ago- really shows the differences in the states. Number of active cases. Quite a jump from New York to anyone else, but then another jump from New Jersey (8,000+ cases) to where the 3,000+ cases are. Including Florida. Grouping the states like this made it easier for me to comprehend what was going on all over the US.  (Most lists are alphabetical.)   I AM AMAZED AT WEST VIRGINIA! 

40,000's New York

8,000's New Jersey

3,000's California, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, Washington

2,000's Georgia, Louisiana, Pennsylvania

1,000's Colorado, Connecticut, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas

900's Indiana

800's Wisconsin

700's Maryland, North Carolina

600's Alabama, Arizona, Missouri, Virginia

500's Mississippi, Nevada, South Carolina

400's Oregon, Utah

300's Arkansas, Kentucky, Minnesota (398 though), Oklahoma

200's District of Columbia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Rhode Island

100's Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Vermont

100 or less
    Alaska, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wyoming

Post edited by Novica on

@xmasrose  Also love the pink glimmer of light on top of her hair. 

@gordig Thanks for showing that. I believe that is Ollie, eh? Can't miss that nose! 

@daventaki   You made me realize I haven't ever used that hair! Surrounding Curls didn't seem familiar and I was like, "Oops, I DO own it."  I've used Boss Lights a lot too :)  

edited March 2020

Stetson says "Have A Great Week!" 

Elaine took this photo last night. He looks apprehensive LOL but actually was watching Elaine get a treat out of a bag over by the tack room.

Stetson March28 2020.jpeg
    756 x 1008 - 632K
    Post edited by Novica on

Hi Novica,

You need to move Colorado up. I thought we were in the 2000s and checked our state stats as of last night:

Colorado Case Summary (Updated 3/28/20 at 4:00 p.m.)
    Note: This summary only includes data through 3/27 and does not reflect cases since then.  

2,061 cases*
    274 hospitalized
    44 counties
    13,276 people tested
    44 deaths 
    10 outbreaks at residential and non-hospital health care facilities

We haven't flattened our curve quite yet.

Mary

• shootybearshootybear Posts: 136
    edited March 2020

This is sort of a cheat since the character is new so of course I haven't rendered it before. But it's an excuse to render something. smiley

Wilder HD for Genesis 3 and 8 Female
    Camila Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s)
    Beautiful Shoes Collection for Genesis 8 Female(s)
    Autumn Haze Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s)
    Z Utility Simply Bored Poses and Expressions for Genesis 3 and 8
    EJ Handbags Collection and Poses for Genesis 8 Female(s)(though you can't really see it that much)
    Urban Bus Stop

By the way, I have this pic in my gallery but I cannot seem to link to it? How does one do that?

LY-Wilder_WaitingForBus.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
    Post edited by shootybear on

shootybear, she doesn't seem amused! What ever did you put her through before the final render? And who is she?

• shootybearshootybear Posts: 136

shootybear, she doesn't seem amused! What ever did you put her through before the final render? And who is she?

She's bored and somewhat annoyed to be stuck waiting for her bus!

You're quick! I was adding links when you asked. LY Wilder (new character). Fairly impressed by it. TONS of options for makeups and skin relative to most characters.

@Novica - LOVE that braid on his forehead!   He is a beauty!
        ~Gen

I have Wilder! and Lyoness does great characters with scads of options. Good investment always. Your link took me to the library page, not the store page though. 

You did fantastic to get her to the point I didn't recognize her. And I could feel her frustration.

Mary

edited March 2020

Hi Novica,

You need to move Colorado up. I thought we were in the 2000s and checked our state stats as of last night:

Colorado Case Summary (Updated 3/28/20 at 4:00 p.m.)
    Note: This summary only includes data through 3/27 and does not reflect cases since then.  

2,061 cases*
    274 hospitalized
    44 counties
    13,276 people tested
    44 deaths 
    10 outbreaks at residential and non-hospital health care facilities

We haven't flattened our curve quite yet.

Mary

Those stats were yesterday morning I think. I can't change one state without looking at all the others as this was what they were in at the same point in time yesterday. Also in the 1000's could mean 1,998 but you'd still be in the 1000's. I did not round anything up or down.

Florida had a big jump by the evening too. I triple checked each state when I categorized them, so that is what was posted for Colorado and was correct in relationship to the status of the other states at the time. I don't have that page up anymore but it was from a major newspaper.  Most states are increasing fast unfortunately. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

I have Wilder! and Lyoness does great characters with scads of options. Good investment always.

thank you. ;)
    I like loads of options myself and variety.

edited March 2020

Mary, here's the latest from the cnn page updated every 10 minutes.  (I just copied down to Colorado, all states are listed.) So you have just slightly less than 300 more than what you relayed at the earlier time.

The figures below are based on data from state and county health departments. These numbers are updated every 10 minutes but may differ from other sources due to differences in reporting times. For up-to-the-minute updates, follow our live coverage.

Cases …per 100K Deaths
    New York 59,513 306 965
    New Jersey 13,386 151 161
    Michigan 5,486 55 132
    Massachusetts 4,955 72 48
    Florida 4,944 23 59
    California 4,643 12 101
    Illinois 4,596 36 65
    Washington 4,310 57 189
    Louisiana 3,540 76 151
    Pennsylvania 3,394 27 38
    Georgia 2,683 25 83
    Texas 2,552 9 34
    Colorado 2,307 40 47
    Post edited by Novica on
    genaris said:

@Novica - LOVE that braid on his forehead!   He is a beauty!
        ~Gen

Thank you. It's practical, as his hair in his eyes makes them tear up. We put fly spray on his face (not above his eyes, sweat would make it run into his eyes) and it works well to keep the flies off his face entirely. His hair is so long it comes down to his nostrils. :) 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

This may be of interest. It says is a live update of the virus worldwide.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    Fishtales said:

This may be of interest. It says is a live update of the virus worldwide.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

It is. I've been watching it for a while now. Most of Europe comes in during the day (CET), US and AUS seem to be added to throughout the day. Numbers are the official figures put out by countries.

edited March 2020

I've done screenshots of the John Hopkins ones for the past ten days. I like it because it has the timestamp and you get the feel of when the numbers are going to change. For example, Florida reports at 11am and 5pm usually (or 6pm, can't remember.)  Someone reports around 3pm but I don't know who. There's more that come in at 7pm and 11pm. Also, clickorlando.com is where to go for really good central florida stories and for Pensacola it's pnj.com   Right now you can see photos of the state police checkpoints for Interstate 10 (West/East, from New Orleans in particular)  to stop traffic and conduct interviews. Never in my lifetime did I think we'd be interviewing people for their travel history due to a virus. 

They've also got Interstate 75 done too. (North/ South. For New Yorkers, New Jersey, Connecticut.)  I love that the Keys have got that nipped in the bud too with a checkpoint. They were ahead of the game, did that over a week ago. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Here's one where you can see both by US state & country, worldwide.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Covid-19+cases+by&FORM=ANCMS9&PC=U531

The US Attorney General is saying Indianapolis could by the next city to get really contagious like NYC did and if that's true then Chicago & Detriot both most be too, if not already.  

This discussion has been closed.