Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

i thought i would share my most recent work in progress :) ...i still have a lot i would like to do to this scene but i was very happy with my results so far and wanted to share :)

that's brilliant

edited December 1969

i thought i would share my most recent work in progress :) ...i still have a lot i would like to do to this scene but i was very happy with my results so far and wanted to share :)

that's brilliant

Is it possible to render an image in B&W even thought the objects are coloured, can some one help me?

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Rashad: Thanks for the information, though it did raise one question. How do you create these domes? And how are biased in the direction needed? The leaves on those palms look exactly like those I've seen in the RW.

@David/Horo: Nice experiments with the galaxies.

@Tim Bateman: Wonderful ship and scene.

@silverdali: David did this You Tube video which might be what you're looking for.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Rashad: Thanks for the information, though it did raise one question. How do you create these domes? And how are biased in the direction needed? The leaves on those palms look exactly like those I've seen in the RW.

@silverdali: David did this You Tube video which might be what you're looking for.

Thanks for that it will help but will this method work on models from Daz?

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited August 2014

GussNemo said:

Thanks for that it will help but will this method work on models from Daz?

Any geometry.

More abstracted techniques are possible also http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-stylised-rendering

Edit. oh yes, Tim Bateman, your ship as sea is looking very good. Water like that, is always a challenge.

Test_pencil_sketch.jpg
    850 x 850 - 257K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

thanks for the kind comments everyone :)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@Tim Bateman - that scene with the ship already looks great.

@Jamie - thank you.

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

@Rashad : Thanks a lot for sending me your lightning technique! I'm proud to play with it when I got it! I'm not using a particular way to light my scenes you know, but here are some specifications about the way I'm making them :

First I usually use the "foggy dome" from Dan Whiteside on a sphere that is taking the whole Bryce world space. I then increase the value of diffuse for the sun between 300 to 500 because that dome absorb a lot of the sun rays.
    All the textures (for the ground, for the objects) in the scene have diffuse value at 100 and ambiant value between 20 to 25. I'm a landscape designer and I use a lot of plants, trees, shrubs, grass so the parameters for the vegetation textures are different than the other objects. For example the grass have a transparency usually set at 5. The leaves on the trees have transparency depending of their aspect and for a massive tree with a lot of leaves the translucency is set to 30 or 35. A tree with less leaves are set to only 20. Same thing for shrubs and plants.

I rarely use Hdri in my landscape renders because the dome is covering the background picture and it increase the render time, so I only use sunlight and of course T.A render engine. With all that transparency, render time is pharaonic.. about one or two weeks for some simple scene in widest side (Cacti way) to one month for my next render (A walk in the woods.. w.i.p..). I've got two computers with i7 systeme and when one is rendering, I use the other to work on a new project.

@David and Horo : Some really good nebular and galaxy stuff here! I'm really impressed about your skill with D.T.E... I hope that you're going to sell this products here at Daz.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

c-ram said:
    @Rashad : Thanks a lot for sending me your lightning technique! I'm proud to play with it when I got it! I'm not using a particular way to light my scenes you know, but here are some specifications about the way I'm making them :

First I usually use the "foggy dome" from Dan Whiteside on a sphere that is taking the whole Bryce world space. I then increase the value of diffuse for the sun between 300 to 500 because that dome absorb a lot of the sun rays.
    All the textures (for the ground, for the objects) in the scene have diffuse value at 100 and ambiant value between 20 to 25. I'm a landscape designer and I use a lot of plants, trees, shrubs, grass so the parameters for the vegetation textures are different than the other objects. For example the grass have a transparency usually set at 5. The leaves on the trees have transparency depending of their aspect and for a massive tree with a lot of leaves the translucency is set to 30 or 35. A tree with less leaves are set to only 20. Same thing for shrubs and plants.

I rarely use Hdri in my landscape renders because the dome is covering the background picture and it increase the render time, so I only use sunlight and of course T.A render engine. With all that transparency, render time is pharaonic.. about one or two weeks for some simple scene in widest side (Cacti way) to one month for my next render (A walk in the woods.. w.i.p..). I've got two computers with i7 systeme and when one is rendering, I use the other to work on a new project.

@David and Horo : Some really good nebular and galaxy stuff here! I'm really impressed about your skill with D.T.E... I hope that you're going to sell this products here at Daz.

Thanks Marco, your dedication to big scenes in Bryce is a wonderful thing. There are very few pushing the limits of the memory and the render engine in this way. I appreciate such complex scenes but I don't enjoy making them myself. Rendering is different, since I can leave my computer to do all the heavy lifting. But my patience wears thin when the wireframe view becomes sluggish.

The DTE spacey stuff is part of the initial experimental stage. We have already done a couple of space HDRI sets, but we want to bring something new to the table. Procedural solutions are nice because they to a large extent are scale independent, which makes them far more versatile than 2D images - particularly so if volumetric solutions can be found. The drawback is that they tend to be somewhat slow to render and if we are talking volumetric, care has to be taken not to let the geometry which contains the volume clip any other geometry in the scene - otherwise weird and often ugly artifacts result.

To overcome render time limitations, a mix of 2D and 3D elements can be used, with pre-rendered versions of procedural effects supplied as billboards as well as the source 3D materials. This then offers the best of both worlds. And as usual a selection of accompanying videos to explain ways in which the materials can be adapted to create new effects.

StarCoronaUV7.jpg
    850 x 850 - 197K
    StarCoronaUV6.jpg
    850 x 850 - 224K
    StarCoronaUV5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 152K
    StarCoronaUV4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 248K
    StarCoronaUV3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 209K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Is it possible to render an image in B&W even thought the objects are coloured,

while I don't know how to render something in black and white, if you want the entire render and not just part of it that way and are willing to do postwork, probably any image editor has the option to convert any image to greyscale. In GIMP, from the menu, select Colors > Desaturate, and click the OK button.
    edited December 1969

@Marco - thank you. As David already mentioned, we're working on a tool set. Here is a star corona photographed with a Ha (hydrogen alpha) filter and represented in green.

StarCoronaHa_Green.jpg
    800 x 800 - 89K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited December 1969

David/Horo - the space renders are great.

Electro-elvis - Useless things …. I wish I could make such useless things, not good at modeling.

Rashad – all your renders are outstanding.

Tim Bateman- lovely sea and ship render.

edited December 1969

@David/Horo: The colors you both are using in these experiments are fabulously eye catching.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

c-ram said:

Haven't sent it yet. Will send it tonight and yes, please do report back.

edited December 1969

c-ram said:

Haven't sent it yet. Will send it tonight and yes, please do report back.

Amazing effect

edited August 2014

I decided to try pencile sketch effect in Bryce Pro 7.1 its my first attempt, after doing a David Brinnen's Tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfRzEydWRio

I think it needs tweaking the reflection its a bit tricky but overall I am happy, thanks GussNemo for your help

Pencil_Sketch_-_Alter_Ego.jpg
    1224 x 1585 - 499K
    Post edited by Sylverdali on
    edited December 1969

@silverdali: My, that's an extremely fine image. As usual. The detail is terrific. And you are more than welcome for the help.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

That is really nice image. I have to have a go at this.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

To be honest, when I saw Guss' link to the tutorial in your other thread, I went to check it out, but when I saw "pencil sketch" I thought no, that's not what I want.

Now that I see what you've come up with using David's tutorial, I'm going to have to check it out as well. Very nicely done. :coolsmile:

edited August 2014

chohole said:
    That is really nice image. I have to have a go at this.

@ chohole thanks

edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    To be honest, when I saw Guss' link to the tutorial in your other thread, I went to check it out, but when I saw "pencil sketch" I thought no, that's not what I want.

Now that I see what you've come up with using David's tutorial, I'm going to have to check it out as well. Very nicely done. :coolsmile:

@ Miss B thanks for the comment, yes I would have to agree I was not sure about the tut either but when I tried the pencil sketch I was very surprised the image I used is one i had done in color as well some time ago.

edited December 1969

@silverdali: Would you be able to post the color version? I'd be interested in comparing the detail between the two.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @silverdali: Would you be able to post the color version? I'd be interested in comparing the detail between the two.

@ GussNemo sure I have also done part color and pencil

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

@ GussNemo sure I have also done part color and pencil

edited August 2014

I tweaked the lighting and color to get a combination of both in 1 render, I toned down the blue lighting in this one a bit

Pencil_scetch_and_color_Alter_Ego.jpg
    1024 x 1326 - 416K
    edited August 2014

color version, I admit you do loose some material texture in the pencil sketch maybe its something I need to play with a bit more or maybe some one can give me some advise on how to get more out of the mats in this effect

alter_ego_4ee.jpg
    1224 x 1584 - 958K
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I like the combination image. Getting one figure in color and one in black and white is no small feat, and you nailed it. Nicely done. :coolsmile:

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

I confess, I didn't make it very far into this topic before I was inspired to try something. Here we are around page 60-some, and I only made it to page 7, which was back around April.

You artists were discussing something called UV-Mapper and put up a bunch of samples. I just didn't get inspired enough to look up what UV-Mapper is ... where to get it ... what it costs ... platforms it's for ... etc., etc.. Nope. Instead, before I even read your descriptions, (learning that UV-Mapper was involved in these images), I was just thinking Bryce, and how to do this.

So, being lazy and what not, rather than find a box and scan it or photograph it, I just went to Google and picked the first one I found. It's a Milk Duds box from 1978. (Notice no URL's or consumer blinding advertizing on the package. These things flew off the shelves without all that.) The picture of the Milk Dud box I found is credited to Jack Thompson. You can tell by the top of the box ... the flap lid, it was not a new box.

This box is 6 cubes moved .02 Bryce units away from each other in the six directions of a cube. Each one has its own picture material set to Object Cubic. Then the six cubes were grouped.

What I did was took the box I found into Paint Shop Pro 8 by JASC, (you use expensive stuff like Photoshop ... I use cheap and effective), and selected each side of the box and saved them in their own files as TIF. (Um, by the way, you may notice hints of green on some corner edges. That was me not being careful when cutting out each side in PSP8. Had this been an actual art project instead of a whimsical test, I would have bothered to correct that.) That was all I needed PSP8 for. That, and cropping the final Bryce render to upload for this topic. The rest I did with Bryce as described above, (picture material in Object Cubic).

In reality, I only had to do 5 sides of this box, since the front and back are identical ... one seemingly up-side-down to the other. I did the work for all six, though. Wasn't until I was done I realized I had that short-cut available. On some of them I had to do some 90 and 180 degree rotating to get them to fit, but they pretty much threw themselves into place. I measured the sides in the image in pixels, then calculated that out to Bryce units. So the cubes ended up 8.87 X 20.48 X 55.71 BU each. (Yup ... 20.48. Did I mention I was lazy?) I think that measurement and calculation is one reason the picture material all fit to scale so nicely.

The render time for one box pretty much filling the Bryce screen was 24 seconds on my old Dell Dimension 4500. I'm sure it would render much quicker for you.

I guess my whole point here is; I knew Bryce could do this without UV-Mapper, (which I still need to look up to see what it is), and it didn't take very much time out of my life to prove it.

Should I post my Coke Can made in a similar way with cylinders?

MilkDudBoxes_Cropped.jpg
    1001 x 919 - 466K
    edited December 1969

@silverdali: The black/white/color combo image is amazing--I'm easily impressed. And that color image is wonderful. But I think the full pencil sketch image brings out more detail that color image doesn't. It also makes the large figure look more fierce.

@Ctippettis: Milk Duds boxes are really nice looking.

edited December 1969

@silverdali - the pencil sketch with the coloured part looks very nice. The fully coloured render is great in itself. Going monochrome changes things dramatically.

@CTippetts - great result. Oh yes, you can do things directly in Bryce. Doing it via UV-mapping makes certain things simpler but others more complicated. I think it boils down to what workflow you prefer.

This discussion has been closed.