any experience with Janna original figure?

Anyone have comments on using Janna Original Figure by Vyusur?  I realize she's not compatible with most products.  I'm fine with posing by hand, but would appreciate comments.  thanks.

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081

Janna is one of a set of stand-alone figures for Daz Studio by Vyusur.  Some others are Leon and Teena.  https://www.daz3d.com/leon   .  https://www.daz3d.com/teena

The same conversion issues exist for Janna that would exist for any new figure (say genesis 1 to genesis 3).  Clothing designed for other figures does not automatically fit.  There are a few options.  A clone can be created.  In some cases, DForce can be adapted with additional adjustments.  The clothing item can be taken to a modeling program, adjusted, and then reconverted. There are probably a few more options.

Although Janna is designed for Daz Studio, it can be used in Carrara if the rigging is converted.  Therefore, the Carrara folks have had a discussion (that sometimes goes off topic) and sometimes includes issues that wouldn't apply to Daz Studio.  Here is a link to the Carrara discussion.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/366356/veronika-yet-another-custom-figure-in-store-wow/p1

• Diomede said:

Janna is one of a set of stand-alone figures for Daz Studio by Vyusur.  Some others are Leon and Teena.  https://www.daz3d.com/leon   .  https://www.daz3d.com/teena

The same conversion issues exist for Janna that would exist for any new figure (say genesis 1 to genesis 3).  Clothing designed for other figures does not automatically fit.  There are a few options.  A clone can be created.  In some cases, DForce can be adapted with additional adjustments.  The clothing item can be taken to a modeling program, adjusted, and then reconverted. There are probably a few more options.

Although Janna is designed for Daz Studio, it can be used in Carrara if the rigging is converted.  Therefore, the Carrara folks have had a discussion (that sometimes goes off topic) and sometimes includes issues that wouldn't apply to Daz Studio.  Here is a link to the Carrara discussion.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/366356/veronika-yet-another-custom-figure-in-store-wow/p1

thanks - I'll give her a try

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

she bends nice.  and face rigged. comes with starter clothes. and some expression sliders
      i'm still hopin a boyfriend will follow her

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I've always been curious about the motivation of producing a stand-alone figure.

• nicstt said:

I've always been curious about the motivation of producing a stand-alone figure.

its something most people using DAZ content cannot do hence buying content 

nicstt said:

making the content to make the art.  is great for a graphic designer's portfolio.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822
    edited February 2020
    Mystarra said:
    nicstt said:

making the content to make the art.  is great for a graphic designer's portfolio.

yes indeed I have a lot of respect for Vyuser's skills heart

from a content buyer's perspective it is less useable and I admit I have not bought her yet but that does not detract from Veronika's modelling and rigging ability, just my lack of disposable income to support it blush

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Janna is in this clip,  I was starting screen tests for the 'actors' i using in my production

trouble is i dont know what should go into a screen test  lol

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    nicstt said:

Mechs/Droids I understand. ...but a young ,white ,human stand alone, female in this market is .....puzzling .
    edited February 2020

Hollywood lore says that once Burt Lancaster became a big enough star to have a say in his own career, he planned to invest his time in about two movies per year.  One he would make to pay the bills, and these were often swashbucklers and similar popcorn movies that took advantage of his looks and athleticism.  The second movie was often a movie he wanted to make for his own satisfaction.  These second movies often had smaller probable audiences, and made use of his dramatic talents.  Fortunately for those of us who are movie fans, quite a few of the movies he made to satisfy himself found an audience and became widely distributed and preserved.

Check out VYusur's store.  Its not limited to pretty white women (and no one said it did, but their was a reference to ethnicity).  Perhaps there is an easy answer for why she would make a few stand alone figures.  Because she can direct her own efforts to some extent, and because she derives satisfaction from the effort, and because there are those of us who feel comfortable with stand alone figures.

Post edited by Diomede on

a fresh gene pool is always welcome

• I ended up getting her and think she'll work out great.  Many of the G8 poses work with minor tweaks.  

• it used to be more common before DAZ introduced Genesis

there were many standalone figures such as little one, Sadie, Chip and Cookie etc

does not mean it still cannot happen just most don't because of sales taking priority over artistic vision

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566
    Mystarra said:

But it's not a gene pool if it is standalone.

i am also puzzled with the decision of creating a stand alone figure. I can see showing off your talents in creating it, but it makes no sense financially in this market.

• Mystarra said:

i am also puzzled with the decision of creating a stand alone figure. I can see showing off your talents in creating it, but it makes no sense financially in this market.

well it could when it comes to game licence pricing for example 

it makes sense for an artist.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    edited February 2020
    Mystarra said:

well it could when it comes to game licence pricing for example 

I don't know, a one off like Janna might make even less sense for gaming models. Daz Genesis has a pipeline of sorts for it, and so somebody could buy several Genesis models and use that same pipeline for them all. But Janna is standalone, and would require altering that method, and most probably one would not wish to devote their time to do that for just a single model. It might make more sense if you plan on ditching the rigging from the start, but then that would seem to defeat the purpose of buying a model from Daz in the first place. 

I would have bought Janna, but I was quite saddened that she is standalone. Its not just about fitting clothing or hair. I like messing around with textures and things. There are no other textures for Janna's UV, so I can't just swap say Bluejaunte's girls skins on her or other characters. I can customize the textures, but that's about it. I can't even convert them like I could from Genesis 2 or Victoria 4. And if I wanted to alter her shape, I'd have to go to Hexagon or Blender to do it. I couldn't just use a morph from something else.

Post edited by outrider42 on
    As a Content creator, I commend anyone who can create /rig an entire figure ......for their personal use...... I only question its commercial viability in this Genesis base frame work/ecosystem. ......The majority will have to depend on one merchant for products and support ( ask the poser people how that has worked for them over the years).... And us minority of content creators have little incentive to abandon the transfer utility and perform extra labor to make clothing for a Model with looks I could quite easily "Dial in"with the G2 females many morphs in less than an hour.
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033
    Mystarra said:

It is a gene pool, just not one of the Genesis ones.

edited February 2020

The transfer utility is not limited to Genesis figures.  I have made my own silly toon stand-alone figures for personal use, and have used the transfer utility as an aid in making the accompanying clothing.  Likewise, I have used the transfer utility to make some conforming clothes for VYusur's figures.  I've also used DForce.  No bigger deal than it is to make custom items for a Genesis type figure.  

However much time it takes to make compatible clothing for a new generation genesis figure, it should take about the same time for a new stand alone figure, whether VYusur's or Raw Art's or mine.  If you plan to use the stand-alone figure regularly, just make a couple of mesh starter envelopes.

edited February 2020

Importing a custom avatar in Marvelous Designer

current version of MD has a scale preset for importing figures from Daz, which works on Janna, Leon, and Teena (VYusur's stand alones)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37J7IL3srrw

To each thier own... I am an animator.. I need Default compatibility with my lipsync tools and iclone.... No time for incompatible outliers that frankly bring nothing new or exceptional as a figure resource.
    wolf359 said:
    To each thier own... I am an animator.. I need Default compatibility with my lipsync tools and iclone.... No time for incompatible outliers that frankly bring nothing new or exceptional as a figure resource.

Yes, some people save money by making their own clothing.  Others save money (time) by purchasing clothing.  Some people save money by making their own morphs.  Others save money (time) by purchasing morphs.  Some people save money by making their own texture sets.  Others save money (time) by purchasing texture sets.  Many people do a combination, just depending on the project and personal skills.  I think a related saying is "horses for courses."

Speaking of texture sets, VYusur offers a few merchant skin resources.  Folks could ask her if she would allow using her merchant resource dark skin set designed for G8F to help create textures for her stand alone figure.

https://www.daz3d.com/dark-skin-merchant-resource-for-genesis-8-females

vyusur dark skin for g8f.png
    1351 x 900 - 2M
  • if I ever get her,

(I have been very frugal now for months buying only props and cut price things and mostly V4 and genesis!)

I will likely make a clone shape like I did for the kid

fitting clothes easy then and using UUW3D repaint

I myself am going very retro lately often using M3 and V3 so anything goes as far as human figures

sadly I have plenty 

edited February 2020

Speaking of making clones, does anyone have a link to a "How to" for making clones?  I know there are several free tutorials, but I don't remember where.  My guess would be SickleYield.

Here is a 2017 thread by mtl1 on creating V4 / G8F clone.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/193296/freebie-how-to-create-a-v4-clone-and-transfer-other-figures-for-g8f-now-with-video/p1

There may be something more recent, or more general.

• Diomede said:

Speaking of making clones, does anyone have a link to a "How to" for making clones?  I know there are several free tutorials, but I don't remember where.  My guess would be SickleYield.

Here is a 2017 thread by mtl1 on creating V4 / G8F clone.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/193296/freebie-how-to-create-a-v4-clone-and-transfer-other-figures-for-g8f-now-with-video/p1

There may be something more recent, or more general.

I used the old tutes along with shrinkwrap in Blender and Zproject in Zbrush for mine

we cannot redistribute clones though and if not DAZ figures Autofit doesn't work but you can shape the clothes then make it a prop and use the transfer utility

• Vyusur answers some of the questions asked here in the thread about her/his stand alone Leon. When asked why create such a figure, the answer was  Quote : 

'The goal was to create a figure from scratch. Profit is not the main criterion for me. '

i bought janna the day she came out.  high quality.  no typos in her internal ids. all verts accounted for in her rigging.
    face rigging versatility.  and she is pretty.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited May 2020

Janna is compatible with most of Genesis 8 poses and animation. Here is an example of her compatibility with Genesis 8 walk-cycle.

If someone interested in, Genesis 8 clone for Janna is available on the other site.

Post edited by Vyusur on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    Vyusur said:

Janna is compatible with most of Genesis 8 poses and animation. Here is an example of her compatibility with Genesis 8 walk-cycle.

If someone interested in, Genesis 8 clone for Janna is available on the other site.

@Vyusur

Did you do something special with the hip rigging?  Janna's walk animation seems more natural for a woman than what you see with Genesis.  Male and female genesis figures have their hips configured the same way, i.e., their pivot is close together like men, whereas women's pelvis are typically wider and that affects gait.