UltraScenery [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

Thanks for the weapons suggestions, @alexhcowley and @richardandtracy! I think either of those would be effective. laugh

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited July 2020
    barbult said:

Who do you think will win?

The greenery looks so real - great scene!

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • DMaxDMax Posts: 637

Hmmm... does UltraScenery Mossy Hollow (https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascenery--mossy-hollow) in fact require Mossy Hollow Botanica (https://www.daz3d.com/mossy-hollow-botanica)? The latter isn't listed as a requirement for the former.

DMax said:

Hmmm... does UltraScenery Mossy Hollow (https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascenery--mossy-hollow) in fact require Mossy Hollow Botanica (https://www.daz3d.com/mossy-hollow-botanica)? The latter isn't listed as a requirement for the former.

Yes it does, and it is shown on the product page for me. Daz store has some kind of annoying bug where sometimes required products aren't shown. Later, they may show up again, without Daz changing anything. Or they will show for one customer but not for another, as in this case.

Annotation 2020-07-07 140907.jpg
    1228 x 937 - 250K
    edited July 2020
    barbult said:

Yes it does, and it is shown on the product page for me. Daz store has some kind of annoying bug where sometimes required products aren't shown. Later, they may show up again, without Daz changing anything. Or they will show for one customer but not for another, as in this case.

Thank you sir, it doesn't show up on mine :(
    I might probably finally utilise the 65% sale today to complete my Howie UltraScene collection and the other pine tree product.

@Barbult Did u purchase Harpwood Trail and US Harpwood? Every time I put it in my cart, I hesitate and remove it because I cannot quite understand what it does... especially if my sight is also on purchasing the Ecologies and Scenery Bundle (https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascenery--ecologies-and-features-bundle-1) I can understand Pines and Mossy Hollow for the different vegetation but Harpwood vegetation appears to be similar to the base UltraScene vegetation.

Post edited by DMax on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    DMax said:
    barbult said:

I might probably finally utilise the 65% sale today to complete my Howie UltraScene collection and the other pine tree product.

@Barbult Did u purchase Harpwood Trail and US Harpwood? Every time I put it in my cart, I hesitate and remove it because I cannot quite understand what it does... especially if my sight is also on purchasing the Ecologies and Scenery Bundle (https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascenery--ecologies-and-features-bundle-1) I can understand Pines and Mossy Hollow for the different vegetation but Harpwood vegetation appears to be similar to the base UltraScene vegetation.

I have it all. I don't find the Harpwood Trail vegetation particularly similar. I guarantee you, Howie would never do that. The vegetation for USC was developed for USC.

L'Adair said:

I have it all. I don't find the Harpwood Trail vegetation particularly similar. I guarantee you, Howie would never do that. The vegetation for USC was developed for USC.

Ah that's good to know. I will probably complete Howie's collection today then.

DMax said:
    barbult said:

(I'm not "sir", I'm female.) They are similar in that they both have tall trees, but the trees are different species. They also use different smaller plants.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited July 2020
    DMax said:

You can also check Howie's first post of this thread, which he updated to include the add-ons and their requirements.

Post edited by dawnblade on
  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153
    dawnblade said:
    DMax said:

You can also check Howie's first post of this thread, which he updated to include the add-ons and their requirements.

Excellent.  That was something I was curious about as well.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

Finished my collection today  :)

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562

I thought about doing more with this one, but its kind of time sensitive now.

It started as an experiment to see if https://www.daz3d.com/wild-flower-plants-vol-4--wheatfields (in Fast Grab today) would work with US + US. I was particularly interested in the wheat grass to create something other than the typical forest landscape.

The result was a yes. There are a bunch of nature items in FG today, so its worth a shot.

river.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,308
    edited July 2020

This is very much a work in progress, but was excited to use UltraScenery as an environment for this scene. I guess I was feeling nostalgic for Mighty Joe Young (I remember that film as "not as bad as I thought it might be.").  In any case I took some pretty boorish shortcuts here and am trying to render a new, better version.  MAN! I love UltraScenery! 

DS_Legenedary_Encounter_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    3440 x 1440 - 451K
    Post edited by Gogger on
    Gogger said:

This is very much a work in progress, but was excited to use UltraScenery as an environment for this scene. I guess I was feeling nostalgic for Mighty Joe Young (I remember that film as "not as bad as I thought it might be.").  In any case I took some pretty boorish shortcuts here and am trying to render a new, better version.  MAN! I love UltraScenery! 

Good one. It makes me think of the recent report of the woman being gored by a Bison in a National Park because she got way too close to take a photo.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    Gogger said:

Really nice shot!  Oddly, I was just thinking of the new Joe Young the other night.  Awesome makeup/animatronic effects by Rick Baker and CG (for the time) by Dream Quest and ILM, and great performances by Charlize Theron and the guy in the Joe suit... but, man, the script somehow managed to be even more hokey and cliched than the original film (which featured cowboys roping lions, an all-star line up of wrestlers and a random burning orphanage) and a lot of the cast seemed to be sleepwalking through the lamer passages of dialog.  When a film stars Bill Paxton and you can't remember a single Bill Paxton scene...  

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,909

While we are waiting for the next update, which will allow clearings to be created, I used InstaEdit to manually remove some reeds to create clearings.

Render time: 2 hrs 38 mins.

Danger.png
    1828 x 893 - 3M
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited July 2020
    Gogger said:

Wow! Very cool scene! :D 

The DOF seems to be a bit off though, looks like some manual blurring going on with two different distinct DOF focal points (is that possible in an actual photo?). I would probably clear up the blur on her camera lens, as the end of the camera lens is in an extreme blur while the rest of her camera isn't and it makes the end of her camera lens just kind of blur in with the background trees. I'd probably have the entire camera in focus (just IMO). :)

By the way, what hair shader are you using there for her hair? It looks amazing!

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited July 2020
    Gogger said:

Wow! Very cool scene! :D 

The DOF seems to be a bit off though, looks like some manual blurring going on with two different distinct DOF focal points (is that possible in an actual photo?). I would probably clear up the blur on her camera lens, as the end of the camera lens is in an extreme blur while the rest of her camera isn't and it makes the end of her camera lens just kind of blur in with the background trees. I'd probably have the entire camera in focus (just IMO). :)

By the way, what hair shader are you using there for her hair? It looks amazing!

REF: DoF:  Heh heh, hence the comment, "I took some pretty boorish shortcuts here".  There were some odd things going on with lighting and I was trying to resolve several issues at once (the HDRI lighting was coming in incredibly dim, and the whole scene was lighting in unexpected ways) and the DoF was kicking my butt where usually it is not difficult for me. I wanted her (and her camera) in focus along with the gorilla, but had an initial test where the foreground grass was pretty blurry and I LOVED the efffect, but then the light was hitting those distant trees (as seen under the gorilla's belly) and just not good so THEY needed to be blurry and well, the whole thing devolved from there. I'm reworking it in DAZ Studio and know I will have to choose blurry foreground OR blurry distant background, but can't have both (because people will call me out on it - BWAH HA HA!). Seriously though, I always appreciate comments and constructive criticism. I like the compostion I got (after quite a bit of tweaking camera positions) , but agree, there are some funky things going on that I aim to resolve.

The hair is Arion Braid using one of the default shaders that came with it, "Light Brown", I think.

Post edited by Gogger on
  • edited July 2020

Anyone else been hanging around this thread, eagerly awaiting the release of the latest update? So many great renders to see! Thought the winter oaks could use more love. Coast preset with yet another Orestes HDRI.

HowlimgB.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 897K
    Post edited by kennrowe_f558b276d6 on

QA seems to be incredibly slow at testing and releasing things these days. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,746

Hmm, maybe taking more time up front, to avoid extra time wasted fixing problems later?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

While we are waiting for the next update, which will allow clearings to be created, I used InstaEdit to manually remove some reeds to create clearings.

Render time: 2 hrs 38 mins.

Mmmm… Lunch!

edited July 2020

My machine is a bit older and Daz Studio hasn't been very stable for me lately, so I'm not too shocked that I've had trouble getting the product to work for me - at least with certain versions of Daz Studio. I have three different versions of Daz Studio installed - it won't render at all for me in Daz Studio 4.12.0.86 nor will it render at all in Daz Studio Beta 4.12.1.76. In both versions, it freezes up Daz Studio every time whenever I go to render the scene. I've tried 7 times and each time everything is going fine until I hit render. Then Daz Studio completely freezes up. The last time I let it sit for over an hour hoping it would eventually unfreeze, but it never did. 

Thankfully though, it seems to work just fine in one version of Daz Studio that I have installed: Daz Studio Version 4.12.2.7 Beta. It is really strange that it works for 4.12.2.7, but completely locks up 4.12.0.86 and 4.12.1.76. Is there any recommendation on how to get it to work for the other versions, or an idea of why it won't work in those "slightly" older versions of Daz Studio? I need to figure out how to get it to work with version 4.12.0.86 if at all possible since my workflow is dependant upon using that version of DS and I would really love to be able to use this product with that version of Daz Studio. Does anyone have any suggestions on why it might not be working in those versions of Daz Studio but works just fine in the latest version?

It works like a DREAM in 4.12.2.7. I mean... it's amazing in that version of Daz Studio! It renders SUPER FAST too, I'm pretty shocked. This scene rendered in 12 minutes, 12 minutes, that's amazing!:

So my computer CAN handle it. My graphics card and computer seams to handle it just fine. But for some reason, the product completely locks up the two other versions of Daz Studio I have installed. Does anyone know what might be the cause?

UltraScene Test Render 3 - 12 Minutes B Cropped.png
    1200 x 898 - 2M
    Post edited by 3Diva on

My machine is a bit older and Daz Studio hasn't been very stable for me lately, so I'm not too shocked that I've had trouble getting the product to work for me - at least with certain versions of Daz Studio. I have three different versions of Daz Studio installed - it won't render at all for me in Daz Studio 4.12.0.86 nor will it render at all in Daz Studio Beta 4.12.1.76. In both versions, it freezes up Daz Studio every time whenever I go to render the scene. I've tried 7 times and each time everything is going fine until I hit render. Then Daz Studio completely freezes up. The last time I let it sit for over an hour hoping it would eventually unfreeze, but it never did. 

Thankfully though, it seems to work just fine in one version of Daz Studio that I have installed: Daz Studio Version 4.12.2.7 Beta. It is really strange that it works for 4.12.2.7, but completely locks up 4.12.0.86 and 4.12.1.76. Is there any recommendation on how to get it to work for the other versions, or an idea of why it won't work in those "slightly" older versions of Daz Studio? I need to figure out how to get it to work with version 4.12.0.86 if at all possible since my workflow is dependant upon using that version of DS and I would really love to be able to use this product with that version of Daz Studio. Does anyone have any suggestions on why it might not be working in those versions of Daz Studio but works just fine in the latest version?

It works like a DREAM in 4.12.2.7. I mean... it's amazing in that version of Daz Studio! It renders SUPER FAST too, I'm pretty shocked. This scene rendered in 12 minutes, 12 minutes, that amazing!:

So my computer CAN handle it. My graphics card and computer seams to handle it just fine. But for some reason, the product completely locks up the two other versions of Daz Studio I have installed. Does anyone know what might be the cause?

Do you have Instancing Optimization set to Speed in Render Settings. That will cause the problems you are seeing. Set it to Memory or possibly Auto, but NOT SPEED. Check the first post in this thread for tips from HowieFarkes on what to try if you are having problems.

edited July 2020

Here's the image one more step along the evolutionary chain.  No DoF, just KindredArts Fog and I think I'm closer.

DS_Legenedary_Encounter_in_The_Mist_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    3440 x 1440 - 877K
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited July 2020
    barbult said:

It works like a DREAM in 4.12.2.7. I mean... it's amazing in that version of Daz Studio! It renders SUPER FAST too, I'm pretty shocked. This scene rendered in 12 minutes, 12 minutes, that amazing!:

Do you have Instancing Optimization set to Speed in Render Settings. That will cause the problems you are seeing. Set it to Memory or possibly Auto, but NOT SPEED. Check the first post in this thread for tips from HowieFarkes on what to try if you are having problems.

I did as someone else suggested in this thread and made a shortcut to change to memory rather than speed in my render settings. It's right next to the shortcut for US, that way I always remember to hit it before I start a scene in US ;). Thanks for whomever came up with that suggestion - it's really been working for me. I apologize I can't remember who it was.

Laurie

screencap.jpg
    284 x 190 - 11K
    Post edited by AllenArt on
    edited July 2020
    barbult said:

YES! That did the trick! OH MY GOODNESS! Just turning it from Speed to Memory and suddenly it works like a dream... There REALLY should be a TIP file in the main folder, something like "Make sure Instance Optimization is set to Memory or Auto" or something to that effect. Or maybe even a render setting in the main folder that only turns the Instance Optimization to Memory - one could label it "Appy this preset before Rendering". 

Thank you for your help, barbult! It's very much appreciated! :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited July 2020
    AllenArt said:
    barbult said:

I did as someone else suggested in this thread and made a shortcut to change to memory rather than speed in my render settings. It's right next to the shortcut for US, that way I always remember to hit it before I start a scene in US ;). Thanks for whomever came up with that suggestion - it's really been working for me. I apologize I can't remember who it was.

Laurie

It's such a major issue - for it to cause freeze up every single time - it really should have a tip file right next to the script. One that either warns the user to make sure to have Instance Optimization set to memory, or a render setting preset called "Apply this before rendering" that does nothing but change the setting to Memory.

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited July 2020

The Memory setting requirement is clearly called out in the User Guide. I thought the included render settings preset did set it to Memory. Does it not???

Edit: I just checked. Yes, USC Late Morning render preset does set the Instancing Optimization to Memory.

Edit 2: Instancing Optimization is not just an issue for this product. This applies to anything that uses a lot of instances, including if you just create them yourself with Daz Studio commands.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited July 2020
    barbult said:

The Memory setting requirement is clearly called out in the User Guide. I thought the included render settings preset did set it to Memory. Does it not???

The render setting is five folders deep. Because it's kind of a big deal -the immediate freeze-up of Daz Studio upon hitting render, the need for that particular setting set that particular way should really be more clear in the main folder (Just IMO, of course).

Edit: And also it doesn't say that the "USC Late Morning" render setting is needed.

Post edited by 3Diva on
This discussion has been closed.