UltraScenery [Commercial]

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,023

@Gogger, @barbult, and @Artini

I just caught up on the last three pages and love all your renders with the pines. (Honestly, I love all your renders!)

I am on board with all the suggestions. All those PAs are on my must buy list. 

Mary

Thanks a lot, Mary.

This Pine extension has added so many nice features to UltraScenery.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,371
    DMax said:

Hi - just purchased this and it is simply impossible to use... I have a 2019 Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM... not the best but not the weakest as well but this product took 20 minutes to load the "100,000 instances" and after an hour, my hourglass is still flipping, DS freezes each time I move my mouse and the scene doesn't even load. I can't close the scene nor even work with it since it hasn't loaded and I am trying to avoid force shutting DS. I did have my optimization as "Memory" and am on minimal settings (no rivers or extras etc).

Am I doing something wrong? Am terribly disappointed as I was so looking forward to using this rather amazing product. :( :(

I would not use Daz on a laptop of any kind. But that's just me. I had a pretty decent desktop to start with but Daz proved too much for it doing certain tasks. The only thing I upgraded to improve performance was install a TITAN RTX card. Now things run better even with 16gb of pc memory.

I've been using a Surface Pro to set up scenes while I'm at work that I can finish up at home, and it's great for that. I can even do dForce Sims and test renders (although I'm relegated to battery power at work, so I try not to do too much of that). I'm even currently running UltraScenery on it, just to see if it will work. It took about 45 minutes, but it just completed successfully.

• DMaxDMax Posts: 637
    Gordig said:

It took about 45 minutes, but it just completed successfully.

What took 45 minutes? The render or loading the scene?
    I have been unable to even load the scene after almost 2h... I gave up and CMD-Q as soon as the hourglass let up for a second.

DMax said:
    Gordig said:

It took about 45 minutes, but it just completed successfully.

What took 45 minutes? The render or loading the scene?
    I have been unable to even load the scene after almost 2h... I gave up and CMD-Q as soon as the hourglass let up for a second.

Running the script to create the UltraScenery environment.

Gordig said:

Running the script to create the UltraScenery environment.

Yeah that's my concern... if it takes that long just to create the environment, I can't imagine how I could work with it (once it loads, which I have not yet succeeded after 2h) as it would be next to impossible to pose the scene, move around, etc... the guys from another thread asked me to post here so that the PA could perhaps help explain the troubles I have been having.

I wouldn't think setup and posing would be too much of a problem once the scene is created, since US uses proxies and hides most of the instances in the viewport.

Gordig said:

I wouldn't think setup and posing would be too much of a problem once the scene is created, since US uses proxies and hides most of the instances in the viewport.

Thank you for that glimmer of hope, coz this product does seem amazing... I might give it another shot late tonight so I might just go to bed as it loads up...

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,031
    Artini said:
    Doc Acme said:

Hmmm.  What does it take to get them to correct the page as it's still wrong.

https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascenery--pines

Yes, but there is also the link to the required: https://www.daz3d.com/nature-trees-pack-4

Looks like it has been fixed.

DMax said:
    Gordig said:

Thank you for that glimmer of hope, coz this product does seem amazing... I might give it another shot late tonight so I might just go to bed as it loads up...

I saved the scene, and it took about 2 minutes to load back up. Viewport navigation is smooth. Try this scene just to see how it works on your computer once everything is created. It uses Harpwood and a lake feature that may be in one of the expansions, so apologies if you don't have all the prerequisites. I can build another scene with default US assets once I'm home, unless someone else beats me to it.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvdvtDX-RX21g8VIdxSjoq4p9APu7A?e=e6LxVN

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,849

Also, make sure you are not in Iray preview mode and set render optimization to memory.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,371
    Artini said:
    DMax said:

Hi - just purchased this and it is simply impossible to use... I have a 2019 Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM... not the best but not the weakest as well but this product took 20 minutes to load the "100,000 instances" and after an hour, my hourglass is still flipping, DS freezes each time I move my mouse and the scene doesn't even load. I can't close the scene nor even work with it since it hasn't loaded and I am trying to avoid force shutting DS. I did have my optimization as "Memory" and am on minimal settings (no rivers or extras etc).

Am I doing something wrong? Am terribly disappointed as I was so looking forward to using this rather amazing product. :( :(

I would recommend to disable all small things, like pebbles, daisies, maybe grass and leave only trees selected

before you click on Build button. Check that first and experiment with the limits of your computer later on.

I was suprised, when I have created UltraScenery with small island preset and got over 200 000 instances,

but only a few trees. I guess all pebbles were created under the water that was around the island.

This is excellent advice. Really, really, excellent. 

Thank you guys... I will take all your advice and try this one more time, fingers crossed! The amount of support and help that this micro-community dishes out is so super heart warming and cuddly!

edited June 2020

Also, make sure you are not in Iray preview mode and set render optimization to memory.

Another excellenty tip! Don't ever try to use Iray Preview with UltraScenery at any stage*. Iray Preview doesn't seem to respect the Instancing Optimization setting of Memory. Just use Texture Shaded viewport preview when generating the scenery and use normal Photoreal render when the scene is complete.

* Unless you have s super powerful graphics card like the Titan RTX. creationz8 has pointed out that he can do Iray Preview successfully with that configuration.

Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:

Another excellenty tip! Don't ever try to use Iray Preview with UltraScenery at any stage. Iray Preview doesn't seem to respect the Instancing Optimization setting of Memory. Just use Texture Shaded viewport preview when generating the scenery and use normal Photoreal render when the scene is complete.

If you don't use Iray Preview... would you be able to see that the render and lighting etc will all be ok? I honestly have never before started a render without first doing an Iray Preview.

I'm going to make sure these tips from Artini and memcneil70 are mentioned in my UltraScenery Experimentation thread, because I think they are very important.

edited June 2020

I have been having UltraScenery renders running on two computers, a laptop and my desktop. One I added the HDRI and took a chance. The other, I loaded the HDRI and cameras, then after creating the scene and positioning the characters, I started the render. Light was on the hill behind them, but my characters were in the dark. Stop, tried other HDRIs, used tiny screen shots to test until I as happy. Saved a lot of times. That render just finished. (I even baked a loaf of Apple Breakfast Bread that just came out of the oven in the meantime.)

This is from my desktop. 'Did We Get the Right Beam Coordinates?'. 

Mary

Click on attachment for full size.

Did We Get the Right Beam Coordinates.png
    2500 x 1545 - 8M
    Post edited by memcneil70 on
    DMax said:
    barbult said:

Another excellenty tip! Don't ever try to use Iray Preview with UltraScenery at any stage. Iray Preview doesn't seem to respect the Instancing Optimization setting of Memory. Just use Texture Shaded viewport preview when generating the scenery and use normal Photoreal render when the scene is complete.

If you don't use Iray Preview... would you be able to see that the render and lighting etc will all be ok? I honestly have never before started a render without first doing an Iray Preview.

No, you can't. sad Instead, since Iray preview is a no go with so many instances, you can use the spot render tool to render a small part of the image or you can render the whole image in a small size (to make it quicker). The Render Preset that comes with UltraScenery is an excellent starting point for lighting and render settings. You almost can't go wrong with that. You may want to rotate the environment or change the hour of the sun time, if you are viewing your scene from the back and want it lit from the front. 

barbult said:

No, you can't. sad Instead, since Iray preview is a no go with so many instances, you can use the spot render tool to render a small part of the image or you can render the whole image in a small size (to make it quicker). The Render Preset that comes with UltraScenery is an excellent starting point for lighting and render settings. You almost can't go wrong with that. You may want to rotate the environment or change the hour of the sun time, if you are viewing your scene from the back and want it lit from the front. 

Very good advice, definitely excited to try it all out tonight (before I zzzz away haha)

@memcneil70 your scene is simply too adorable!

Thanks @DMax. I was feeling happy this morning.

I forgot to mention, I used a Heightmap that someone had linked to https://tangrams.github.io/heightmapper/ where you can move to a area on the Earth and download a map for it. My selection was from an area near the foothills of the Rockies. So this was totally an experiment on how this would turn out.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    DMax said:
    barbult said:

Iray Preview has locked up Daz Studio on some of us with UltraScenery, simply because of the large number of instances. Use Texture Shaded as barbult suggested, to adjust your camera. Then render long enough to see how it looks. Go back to Texture Shaded, adjust your camera/lighting, render again. Do that as many times as needed.

For me, it's a minor inconvenience to be able to use such an awesome product and add-ons.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 738
    I work in IRAY preview with the TITAN RTX with no issues.
    edited June 2020

If you want to evaluate your terrain quickly, you can take Artini's tip to the extreme and uncheck everything in the Build tab. That will generate the terrain very quickly without any vegetation. I do this a lot, to see how wide my river will be, how steep the terrain is, etc. You could Iray Preview that to see if your lighting is coming from the right direction. It is quick and easy to make adjustments on a bare terrain. If you want to evaluate shadow direction, etc. add a tree from the UltraScenery Plants subfolder. Iray Preview should work fine on that minimal setup. Then when you are satisfied, switch back to Texture Shaded (don't forget and leave it on Iray Preview!!!!). You can delete the tree you manually added now, because it might intersect with the location of some instances later. Select the UltraScene in the Scene pane and run the UltraSceneCreator script again and check the items in the Build tab that you want to generate instances for. It will retain you terrain, feature, and ecology settings and build your scene with vegetation.

Iray Preview Bare terrain One Tree.jpg
    3203 x 1534 - 1M
    barbult said:

If you want to evaluate your terrain quickly, you can take Artini's tip to the extreme and uncheck everything in the Build tab. That will generate the terrain very quickly without any vegetation. I do this a lot, to see how wide my river will be, how steep the terrain is, etc. You could Iray Preview that to see if your lighting is coming from the right direction. It is quick and easy to make adjustments on a bare terrain. If you want to evaluate shadow direction, etc. add a tree from the UltraScenery Plants subfolder. Iray Preview should work fine on that minimal setup. Then when you are satisfied, switch back to Texture Shaded (don't forget and leave it on Iray Preview!!!!). You can delete the tree you manually added now, because it might intersect with the location of some instances later. Select the UltraScene in the Scene pane and run the UltraSceneCreator script again and check the items in the Build tab that you want to generate instances for. It will retain you terrain, feature, and ecology settings and build your scene with vegetation.

Very good tip!... especially "...switch back to Texture Shaded (don't forget and leave it on Iray Preview!!!!)" :D

edited June 2020
    I work in IRAY preview with the TITAN RTX with no issues.

That's good to know. Most of us are jealous. I'll add that information to my tip over in my thread.

DMax said:
    barbult said:

Very good tip!... especially "...switch back to Texture Shaded (don't forget and leave it on Iray Preview!!!!)" :D

Yeah, where was all this great insight when you first posted your problem? blushsurprise I think my brain was stuck on "Mac" and didn't venture beyond that until Artini kickstarted things. I'm so glad you posted in this thread and I hope everybody's suggestions will lead you to success.

edited June 2020

Another experiment with the island. I have disabled pebbles and most of the small underwater things.

What a difference, the computer is more responsible and renders faster.

isle04sc05pic03.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 358K
    Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

Another experiment with the island. I have disabled pebbles and most of the small underwater things.

What a difference, the computer is more responsible and renders faster.

I'm glad I'm not vacationing on THAT island! Way too much wildlife!
    Good decision on the pebbles, I think. I noticed a similar slowness and overabundance of pebbles on an island ecology that I built. Pebbles are very nice in a close up render, but at that distance, I'm not sure you could even see them. We continue to learn as we experiment.

I have been having UltraScenery renders running on two computers, a laptop and my desktop. One I added the HDRI and took a chance. The other, I loaded the HDRI and cameras, then after creating the scene and positioning the characters, I started the render. Light was on the hill behind them, but my characters were in the dark. Stop, tried other HDRIs, used tiny screen shots to test until I as happy. Saved a lot of times. That render just finished. (I even baked a loaf of Apple Breakfast Bread that just came out of the oven in the meantime.)

This is from my desktop. 'Did We Get the Right Beam Coordinates?'. 

Mary

Click on attachment for full size.

It gives me fond memories of the old ET movie! You have an abundance of cute there.

Thanks a lot, Barbult.

edited June 2020

Below is another render of this small island.

isle04sc07pic02.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 242K
    Post edited by Artini on
This discussion has been closed.