Comics

Comments

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,757

I'll try that ComicLife app. 

Thanks for linking to it.

For speed like seeing an after image- like a ghost semi-transparent version of a previous action state.

That and motion blur is another option.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I also use ComicLife 3 because of its simplicty. I find it works better on my Mac than on the PC but perhaps the Mac controls are more intuitive for me. I'd love it if they could add a feature where you could add animated gifs or similar so you could have a panel with animations. I'm not sure there's anything out there that does that though.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    marble said:

I also use ComicLife 3 because of its simplicty. I find it works better on my Mac than on the PC but perhaps the Mac controls are more intuitive for me. I'd love it if they could add a feature where you could add animated gifs or similar so you could have a panel with animations. I'm not sure there's anything out there that does that though.

Actually, some time back there was a free Iron Man comic online somewhere that was narrated and semi-animated (in that there were subtle movements in each page) or something like that

• estheresther Posts: 608

the effect would be perfect for you Randy.

Love esther

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

I saw software called MotionArtist that is for creating motion comics.  I saw it on Amazon being sold with Clip Paint Studio Pro and Poser.  It's also sold separately.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,321

It is good to see this thread was resusitated,  there's some good information in here. 

I made this comicbook cover experiment a few months back just trying out some technique options for that ever elusive graphic art style. 

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,757

I dig it. Great job.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

It is good to see this thread was resusitated,  there's some good information in here. 

I made this comicbook cover experiment a few months back just trying out some technique options for that ever elusive graphic art style. 

That looks pretty much like the style I saw done in an Inhumans comic book ad copy from 2016 on GooglePlay, except yours has a higher degree of shadow and light gradients (and looks butter but still like a modern comic book art). I'm almost sure they are using DAZ or Poser to do their art. It looks OK in most places but not so good in other places. The ad copy is bragging about the 'story lines' and dang! $10 comics of 122 pages each. They've went and priced comics out of the reach of kids like they did with baseball, football, and basketball cards!

That looks awesome.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Esther,

Wow, thanks again for the Comic Life tip. Makes life so much easier. Everything is built in just click or drag n drop to change fonts and sizes and styles...

Although it did take me a while to figure out how to simply add an image. I finally saw the Explorer tab on bottom right, found my image, then dragged and dropped into the document. They don't mention that anywhere in the startup guide. Go figure.

So Clip Sudio Paint Pro is 52% off on Amazon.  Is it worth getting?  I have PhotoShop, Comic Life 3, and Topaz Simplicity along with various free tools.

• MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,679
    edited July 2017

Another +1 for Comic Life as well.  I used it for my Webcomic: http://www.DominoChronicles.com.  Very simple and easy to use.

-MJ

Post edited by MJ007 on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,981

I just download the trial version 3.8 ...
    Interestingly, only just installed and already started to like this version, it is very likely that I will do an upgrade (if it is possible to upgrade 1.3.9, which is very old)
    Actually you're right. Things have changed places
    It is this:
    clic on: Inspector / measures, and unchek the box restrict proportions.

How can there be a version 3.8 of Comic Life 3 when the current version is 3.55??

tkdrobert said:

So Clip Sudio Paint Pro is 52% off on Amazon.  Is it worth getting?  I have PhotoShop, Comic Life 3, and Topaz Simplicity along with various free tools.

Recommendations?  Yes? No?

• father1776father1776 Posts: 982

call me boring but

I use Daz, PS, and Clip Studio/Manga Studio 5

my go to tool box

edited July 2017

I use Daz because I have depth perception issues and have trouble drawing body proportions.  Manga has that 3d posing feature which is why I'm thinking of buying it. 

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378

I see that Plasq now has Comic Draw for iPad and iPhone, in addition to Comic Life.  The full app costs less than a couple of pizzas.  I like good software that doesn't require a commitment akin to adoption.

• I'm late to the party, but I use Manga Studio 5.  It's called Clip Art or something these days.  I spent 20 bucks on it and if you wait SmithMicro sometimes has sales on it. Of course, I only use it for my layout, bubbles, and output of the page.  I use some filters from Rendo to give it a "comic" effect.  I haven't tried the shaders I bought for Studio that changes the surfaces directly inside the program.  I did play with the included 3D people in Manga Studio, but it's nothing like what you can do in DAZ Studio.  They have a PRO version I think that might do even more, but I just bought the basic one. Without it, I would not have been able to get my comic in print!      

Manga Studio also has some excellent "electronic" paint features.  I love it more than PS and Corel Painter for actual digital painting with a wacom tablet :)   

This is the first time I am using Studio and G3 for my comic.  The expression abilities of G3 will make my life easier.  I am having a hard time finding a filter I like to make it look like a comic and less like a beautiful picture.  I attached an example of one of my smaller WIP.  I am using the filters in the pack https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/sensual-treatment/82606/ to give it the look.  It takes just the "edge off" and makes it slightly more toon like.         

Kinir Smirk 3 Sexy Cartoon.jpg
    457 x 741 - 382K
  • tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Yes, in my opinion.  It is a great resource.  

• It is good to see this thread was resusitated,  there's some good information in here. 

Now that looks pretty freaking awesome.  What is your formula to reach this coloration?  Post work?  Shader?  It is most like the newer comics I enjoy.  Not quite a render and not quite a cartoon.  I think you may have nailed what you were trying to achieve.  

I'm so glad I'm not the only one wanting to do comics :)   

edited July 2017

Here are some concept characters I've been working on for a Sci-Fi series, ala GoG, Buck Rodgers, Flash Gordon, etc.  They are all a work in progress and far from perfect.  In Daz I use Visual Style Shaders and some other toon skin shaders.  Post work, I've been using Photoshop and Topaz Simplicity. I'm still trying to perfect my process.

I'm doing this as a purly creative exercise, I have no intention to make money off it. 

seare_hawkeye_concept_by_tkdrobert-dbflgo5.png.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 91K
    lycan_concept_by_tkdrobert-dbgg8u6.png.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 91K
    cyborg_warrior_by_tkdrobert-dbgftct.png.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 90K

One more.

weapons_expert_by_tkdrobert-dbggqwt.png
    1024 x 1280 - 1M
  • JCThomasJCThomas Posts: 254
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Yes, definitely worth it. It's worth it at full price.

I've gotta say that I haven't found a use for Comic Life since I bought it over a year ago. I see lots of users here are happy with their results using it, which is great. I'd personally recommend someone who's on the fence regarding a purchase of Comic Life to pass it up.

Two tips for comic art using DS:

1. Go back and hand draw the eyes in every panel. Just simple white and black eyes. All of the filters and toon renders out there distinuigh between the different parts of the eye too much and pack in too much detail, detracting from the expressiveness. All of the detail in the eyes might look cool to the eyes of some, but it's inarguably mechanical-looking.

2. Group everything in your scene that's not a character into the same Group. Call it "Background" or something in the scene tab. Hide it when rendering character focused images, especially closeups and mid-range shots. If the character is the focus or a scene or panel, why draw attention away from the characters with a busy background?

• ecoleenaecoleena Posts: 85

Many thanks to equinoxx5 for the Tip !!

edited July 2017

Thanks for the tips.  That's why I wanted to resurect this thread.  Lots of great tips.  I did buy Manga/Clip Paint Studio Pro last night.  I found my old, low budget Wacom Tablet and updated it's software.  It works better with Manga than it does with Photoshop.  Not sure why.  Now idealy I would like to use my iPad Pro as a drawing tablet.  Unfortunanly I don't have a Mac and Duete Pro or whatever it's called wants $20 a year.  If I was a Pro than yeah I'd do it, but I'm not. 

tkdrobert said:

Thanks for the tips.  That's why I wanted to resurect this thread.  Lots of great tips.  I did buy Manga/Clip Paint Studio Pro last night.  I found my old, low budget Wacom Tablet and updated it's software.  It works better with Manga than it does with Photoshop.  Not sure why.  Now idealy I woould like to use my iPad Pro as a drawing tablet.  Unfortunanly I don't have a Mac and Duete Pro or whatever it's called wants $20 a year.  If I was a Pro than yeah I'd do it, but I'm not. 

Ah, sorry, I didn't realize you had an ipad pro. There's a great app for it called Medibang Paint. It's completely free, and it's very powerful. it does have some ads here and there, and from what I can tell, there's no way to get rid of them. I'm still getting aquainted with it, but it seems to be able to do just about everything that Manga Studio / Clip Paint can do.

One limitation is it only exports PNGs and TIFFs. However, it can import PSDs. It's a great way to touch up your renders by hand. You could render everything and then hand touch those renders in Medibang paint, then layout everything is Manga Studio. Or you could layout everything in Manga Studio, export a PSD, then import that PSD into Medibang Paint and touch up everything there.

On yeah, one more tip @tkdrobert,

3. Go back and redraw the teeth by hand in every panel. Get rid of all the individual teeth, and just turn them into general blobby white shapes.

I hope you don't mind, but I checked out some stuff in DA gallery. I applied the eye and teeth tip to one of your renders of the hulk just to show what I'm talking about.

hulk test.jpg
    305 x 388 - 112K
    edited July 2017
    JCThomas said:

On yeah, one more tip @tkdrobert,

3. Go back and redraw the teeth by hand in every panel. Get rid of all the individual teeth, and just turn them into general blobby white shapes.

I hope you don't mind, but I checked out some stuff in DA gallery. I applied the eye and teeth tip to one of your renders of the hulk just to show what I'm talking about.

I don't mind at all.  I'm looking for all the tips and constructive criticism I can get.  Thank You.

• GreycatGreycat Posts: 332

Comic Life is good at what does, a simple tool to create comics using scans. Clip Studio Paint has a lot more tools for creating comics, but it’s primarily a drawing and painting geared toward comics.

Tkdrobert;

Although it’s possible to do 3D work in CSP, it is really hard to do. Posing a 3D figure is not something you’d want to do. It’s better to pose a figure in DAZ Studio, render it and import the render into CSP.

Check out these sites;

https://forum.smithmicro.com/category/7/clip-studio-paint-formerly-manga-studio

https://ask.clip-studio.com/en-us/?_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_43ReoTEoaK8_IJ6w7kbOSQ0m2KRs_wK53t8DbzExqmwwxs_LjESu8xC_kkKjmj0otRcyCvrE7apXiNgk9dbHdIegDnw&_hsmi=52535092

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Well reading about Clip Studio Paint Pro and MotionArtist it seems those have been getting added features and are becoming simplified versions of Moho Pro / Anime Studio Pro