Comics

Comments

• GreycatGreycat Posts: 332
    edited December 1969

Here’s the end results with a couple of other trys.

PS_Poster_edges.jpg
    352 x 1170 - 76K
    PS_Comic_filter.jpg
    352 x 1170 - 71K
    PS1.jpg
    352 x 1170 - 76K
    MS1.jpg
    352 x 1170 - 99K
    PSP1.jpg
    352 x 1170 - 59K
    edited December 1969

Here's a few more using various different lights and filters.

ET.jpg
    389 x 1152 - 79K
    v3a.jpg
    263 x 756 - 51K
    Lotus2.jpg
    418 x 1157 - 66K
    H.jpg
    375 x 690 - 49K
    F.jpg
    338 x 888 - 66K
  • edited December 1969

I have both Manga Creator from Smith Micro and Comic Life 2 from Plasq.. of the two I prefer Comic Life 2 for putting speech bubbles, effects, speed lines, and the like. I find Manga Creator very difficult to use, with arcane little symbols I can't read that you have to memorize to know how to do things like add tones and the like.

Boojum the brown bunny

GoldenPoppyComic.png
    1275 x 1649 - 1M
  • jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

Hmm, nice work, and well prepared in 5 frames ... How can I observe, the character in the first frame, opens the page (he is facing within the page) opening the story, while Table 2 and 3, litters the page with the presentation, close in table 4, and ends the presentation in Table 5, with the character facing in the page (the character profile page opens for the story, and again for the profile page he concludes your presentation) ... Good point, your page.
    Are rendered in poser?

GoldenPoppyComic_copy.jpg
    387 x 500 - 180K
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Hey Greycat, the bikini babe's fingers loo kinda weird though. Have you tried he "cutout" filter?

edited December 1969

Hey Greycat, the bikini babe's fingers loo kinda weird though. Have you tried he "cutout" filter?

Don’t really understand what you mean. The cutout filter doesn’t fit in with what I’m doing.

Most of the sketch filters give you a rather crude finished product. It would probably work better to use that as template to trace lines over the top of.

outline.jpg
    352 x 678 - 43K
    edited December 1969

So far with a little playing around I think Photoshop comic filter produces the best results. Here one I did with the comic filter and then touched up a bit.

Keep in mind I’m trying different things to see what might work well if was making a comic.

Laura1a.jpg
    234 x 576 - 24K
    Laura1.jpg
    469 x 1152 - 68K
    edited December 1969

Here isc my FIRST attempt at using Carrara'sc NPR renderer. IC can use it with the Parchment plug-in, but...oops, closed it. :D

kitgirl.png
    1200 x 900 - 158K
    edited December 1969

With Parchment, I get this.

kitgirl.png
    438 x 1296 - 419K
  • zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited April 2014

If yu're going to render in Carrara, you might want to try this:

http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/plugin.php?ProductId=15

Or this:

https://bitbucket.org/zgock/yatoon

Post edited by zigraphix on
    edited December 1969

I plian to try Toon Pro. YAToon is built in. I've tried it a couple trimes beforeh, but I'm not familiar with it yet.

edited December 1969

Ummm...Confession: I could be wrong about YAToon. I can't even remember where to find t. But here's a render of what I6 built in.

kitgirl.png
    438 x 1296 - 392K
    edited December 1969

Personally, I prefer to do my outlining in my rendering tool (DS, Carrara, etc.) because I think the edge detection works better when the renderer has access to the geometry in the scene, rather than just the final render. That said, i think some of the Photoshop filters work surprisingly well. :)

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    Personally, I prefer to do my outlining in my rendering tool (DS, Carrara, etc.) because I think the edge detection works better when the renderer has access to the geometry in the scene, rather than just the final render. That said, i think some of the Photoshop filters work surprisingly well. :)

While I must grant you that your outlining is very good, where I feel your camera app falls down is the number of shading levels. When you compare 3 shading levels with say something like 12 shading levels you get a much better result. Most programs I used have 1-250 shading levels; Manga studio has 1-20 levels, which I think is a good number. If your app had 20 shading levels I would buy it.

RosePinup1.jpg
    275 x 1180 - 47K
    RosePinup2.jpg
    275 x 1180 - 49K
    edited December 1969

Greycat said:
    zigraphix said:

While I must grant you that your outlining is very good, where I feel your camera app falls down is the number of shading levels. When you compare 3 shading levels with say something like 12 shading levels you get a much better result. Most programs I used have 1-250 shading levels; Manga studio has 1-20 levels, which I think is a good number. If your app had 20 shading levels I would buy it.

ToonyCam Pro has presets for 1-5 levels, but you can put whatever number you want in the properties pane for the camera....

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    Greycat said:
    zigraphix said:

ToonyCam Pro has presets for 1-5 levels, but you can put whatever number you want in the properties pane for the camera....

Could you show me an example using 12 shading levels?

edited December 1969

You want 12 example renders? :O :D

edited April 2014

Greycat said:

Could you show me an example using 12 shading levels?

Here's one with 12 levels and one with 20 levels. 25% blending between levels on both. Left figure has no transmap on hair. Both are using the OutlineID mode of outlining (each MAT zone gets an outline). There are two other modes available, as well. The third image uses the "Normal" geometry edge detection mode with 20 shading levels. That doesn't work as well with the transmapped hair, as you can see.

In the thread for the product, there's a link to a draft version of the documentation, showing more examples. A PDF comes with the set.

20-levels-normal.jpg
    500 x 650 - 206K
    20-levels-outlineid.jpg
    500 x 650 - 201K
    12-levels-outlineid.jpg
    500 x 650 - 205K
    edited December 1969

Here's a Toon Pro render. It's a cool plugin, but I'm lost because rthere re lines where they shouldn't bex and I have no idea how to fix it.

kitgirl.png
    430 x 1290 - 452K
  • NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited December 1969

Hey, great thread everybody !

I just read the whole thing and am dying to try out some of the inking techniques that have been posted.

Also since no one mentioned it yet, there is a plug-in called "Toon-It" for After Effects that I use a lot.

It is also available for Photoshop.

I really like the results I have gotten with it.

If you experiment with the different pre-sets you can get drastically different looks from the same image, everything from a Sunday comic-strip look to a rotoscoped Charles Schwab look to a noir graphic novel.

If you google "Toon-It Digital Anarchy" for photoshop or "Toon-It Red Giant" for after effects I think they have a 15 day trial

edited December 1969

Here's some quick samples I threw together.

The top is the original. The 2nd one is Toon-It using the crackle filter, and the 3rd one is also Toon-It using the "40s Advertisement" preset.

image.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 561K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 195K
    image.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 196K
    edited December 1969

equinoxx5 said:

What are you using to get that "inked" look to your images?

Agreed that does look good, I would like to know as well. :-)

Here's one way of doing the "ink" effect; this is in Photoshop, but should work in comparably featured editors...

1. Load your render, then duplicate it onto a new layer. This will be your "ink" layer.

2. Desaturate the ink layer, and adjust the levels until you have a nice, contrasty monochrome.

3. Apply a Poster Edges filter (or equivalent), and fiddle with the settings to taste.

4. Set the blend mode of the ink layer to Overlay.

5. Adjust Color Saturation and/or Contrast on the base layer to taste.

Thank you for posting this, that was great. I've seen similar techniques elsewhere but never explained as clearly and simply as you have.

edited December 1969

ToonIt looks awesome, but dang, can't afford it

edited April 2014

Here's a Toon Pro render. It's a cool plugin, but I'm lost because rthere re lines where they shouldn't bex and I have no idea how to fix it.

Note: I was confused and thought this question was being asked about "ToonyCam Pro" -- if this is about Toon Pro! for Carrara, the info below doesn't help at all. Sorry!

1 - Which method of outlining are you using?

2 - Did you use the OutlineID Figure Preset to make sure the outline IDs for the skin are all the same?

3 - It looks like that hair model has a "scalp" material zone with transparency. You'll need to set the OutlineID of that MAT zone to the same as the figure's skin and/or turn off Outline Depth for that MAT zone, depending on which outline method you are using.

You may find the troubleshooting section of the documentation helpful.

edited December 1969

@zigraphix

Thank you for the examples, it will give me something to think about.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited April 2014

Try swapping your Alpha for Transparency (IIRC that fixes it.) .

Note that presumes you are talking about hte Carrara plug-in from Digital Carver's Guild "Toon Pro."

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

dinopt said:
    Here's some quick samples I threw together.

The top is the original. The 2nd one is Toon-It using the crackle filter, and the 3rd one is also Toon-It using the "40s Advertisement" preset.

Thank you for the render. I was actually looking for something like this a few days ago.

edited December 1969

Greycat said:
    @zigraphix

Thank you for the examples, it will give me something to think about.

Every artist has particular looks in mind, and needs to choose their own tools. ToonyCam Pro isn't the best or only tool for comic images, but it's good at what it does (I think), so I like people to know how it can be used. :)

edited December 1969

LOL Sorry. I do mean the Carrara plugin.

Try swapping your Alpha for Transparency (IIRC that fixes it.) .

Note that presumes you are talking about hte Carrara plug-in from Digital Carver's Guild "Toon Pro."

Tried it. It sort of worked, but still has a line across his forehead.

This is the M5 Elite hair.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,787
    edited December 1969

An example image made with ComiPo.
    Lisa's Botanicals Bell Flower and Exnem's cake was exported from Daz Studio as .obj.
    http://www.comipo.com/en/manual/operation/operation-p06-02.html
    https://www.facebook.com/Manga.Maker.ComiPo?sk=app_208195102528120
    It is a pity that ComiPo has such a restrictions on the complexity of the imported 3D objects
    because I like how they are converted.
    Restrictions are as follows:
    File size: 8 MB or smaller
    No. of vertices: 60,000 vertices or fewer
    No. of surfaces: 60,000 surfaces or fewer (20,000 or fewer recommended)
    No. of objects: 64 or fewer, No. of materials: 64 or fewer
    No. of textures: 8 or fewer, Texture size: 2048 x 2048 dots or smaller
    Texture file size: 4 MB or smaller, Total texture file size: 8 MB or smaller
    Data interpolation (curved surface control, mirroring, rotating body) is not used.

I also attach Daz Studio renders of Bell Flower and the cake.

tart1PieceFullLow01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 87K
    BelFlowerHalf01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 124K
    Test101a01_001.jpg
    1334 x 921 - 408K