HDRI lightng and relfections

Is there any way to use HDR lighting but to have relfective surfaces not reflecting the HDR image?

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Easily done in 3DL.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

my bad. I'm using Iray.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Do you want to see the HDR in the background?  If not, you can set Draw Dome to Off on the Environment tab of your render settings.  That way you'll get all the lighting goodness, but none of the image.

• onixonix Posts: 282

If there is a reflective surface it probably it is supposed to reflect something so I can't imagine how this even could work in principle.

But if you don't want the environment to be reflected you can block it with some object or you can blur it adjusting the reflectivity settings.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    onix said:

...If there is a reflective surface it probably it is supposed to reflect something so I can't imagine how this even could work in principle

the same way a 3DL light can suspend casting a shadow I suppose.

• onixonix Posts: 282
    onix said:

...If there is a reflective surface it probably it is supposed to reflect something so I can't imagine how this even could work in principle

the same way a 3DL light can suspend casting a shadow I suppose.

I mean in theory if it is the reflective surface it has to reflect something or otherwise it will be just black and not reflective

I think it may be possible to create a special shader that does not reflect rays that have zero bounce counts so that it will show the background as something black and remaining items normally. but tyhis will be some kind of very special mirror. Maybe someone will eventually make that kind of shader.