DAZ women are too tall

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,409
    ramasters said:

I'm not requesting everything be made to fit my specific requirements, just saying that diversity in pose packs is awesome. I've only seen one pack for couples with significant size differences, but there are dozens of couple packs for the standard. It's just an underserved market.

And way to much work for a creator to have different height variations in a single package. There is no way a creator can account for everyones custom variations, so the best thing they can do is work from a a base unless they include a custom morph which will depend on every users that uses their poses to use that custom morph also and that won't happen.

If I was creating a couples pose set why would I inlude a height variation of my choice other than the base knowing full well most won't be able to use it?

This is exactly why it matters that Daz women are so tall. If pose builders work with a base, and that base happens to be one of the tallest female figures available, who is abnormally tall for a real-world woman, then the poses they create are going to be skewed towards unusually tall women. 

• ramasters said:

I'm not requesting everything be made to fit my specific requirements, just saying that diversity in pose packs is awesome. I've only seen one pack for couples with significant size differences, but there are dozens of couple packs for the standard. It's just an underserved market.

And way to much work for a creator to have different height variations in a single package. There is no way a creator can account for everyones custom variations, so the best thing they can do is work from a a base unless they include a custom morph which will depend on every users that uses their poses to use that custom morph also and that won't happen.

If I was creating a couples pose set why would I inlude a height variation of my choice other than the base knowing full well most won't be able to use it?

I agree with you on this point, FSMCDesigns.  I have used the height morph to make all my females 5' 7" (although I did bring Xia down to 5' 3") and make all the males 6' 0".  Then it works across all the characters I own when I create a pose that involves more that one person. 

• ramasters said:
    Oso3D said:

I find the complaints about poses a little weird, given that morphs will change proportions in all sorts of ways; I always consider poses to be a starting point and count on having to tweak a bunch to line things up.

The thing is that with single person poses, this makes sense as tweaks. With couple packs, though, heigh differences can mean you'll essentially have to change the entire pose of both characters to keep the same pose.

For instance, I love this set, but if my characters have a 1' difference in size, most of these poses will need to be substantially modified:

With morphs, it might mean moving a hand out or whatever just to get the basic pose to work, but for a couple pose that likely means both character's arms/hands/heads/angles being substantially moved. It just means a lot more time spent getting the basic pose fixed before I can move onto the tweaking phase. It can also substantially change the 'mood' of a pose if not done precisely.

As I said, it'd just be nice for more options.

This is evenmore true with love-making scenes, since certain parts of the participants' anatomies must line up properly, and their bodies are intertwined with each other. 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    edited September 2019

You know!

This "problem" along with the introduction of IK chains might open up an opportunity for utility makers to create a thingame that starts with one character's hand on another's, uh, shoulder, or counter top wherever the pose suggests, and have the pose adapt to the position of the target shoulder as either the acting character and/or the target deviate from some standard scale and/or morph.  This would not necessarily eliminate the need for tweaking entirely, but help posers in a hurry to sort things out more quickly.  V3D is already most of the way there already and she explains things so nicely avec son accent mignon.

This, in turn, could open up a type of IK-chainy interactive pose sets.  I mean there's at least one pose set posted every day on Daz, and somebody's buying them (!).  Not every posesmith does interactive poses, but for the ones who do, this could create a new line of products.  Or else they could adapt existing pose sets, and we'd have to buy them all over again if we wanted to take advantage of this new functionality. 

I'm not saying that such a thing is a necessity for pro posers, but Daz would make money, PAs would make money, we would complain about cash-grabbing, the Kama Sutra would spring to life, and everyone would be happy!

Post edited by Sevrin on
  • Sevrin said:

You know!

This "problem" along with the introduction of IK chains might open up an opportunity for utility makers to create a thingame that starts with one character's hand on another's, uh, shoulder, or counter top wherever the pose suggests, and have the pose adapt to the position of the target shoulder as either the acting character and/or the target deviate from some standard scale and/or morph.  This would not necessarily eliminate the need for tweaking entirely, but help posers in a hurry to sort things out more quickly.  V3D is already most of the way there already and she explains things so nicely avec son accent mignon.

This, in turn, could open up a type of IK-chainy interactive pose sets.  I mean there's at least one pose set posted every day on Daz, and somebody's buying them (!).  Not every posesmith does interactive poses, but for the ones who do, this could create a new line of products.  Or else they could adapt existing pose sets, and we'd have to buy them all over again if we wanted to take advantage of this new functionality. 

I'm not saying that such a thing is a necessity for pro posers, but Daz would make money, PAs would make money, we would complain about cash-grabbing, the Kama Sutra would spring to life, and everyone would be happy!

I don't know about that. Personally, I've never gotten IK chains to work properly when I've tried to pose a figure by moving the end of said chain (like pulling on a hand, or end of a rope to reprosition it). Instead, evarything goes haywire with things twisting at odd angles and such. It's not pretty. 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

size matters

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,704

...another issue with some poses that I discovered is sometimes morphs and height do change when the pose is applied.  For example, one which I used recently with my Leela character for some reason makes her bust larger than it should be. At first I thought it was just the way the clothing layered, but turning it off, I notice her breasts are actually larger than the default character asset I saved.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

can ya set limits on the pectorals?

something got frozed in the erc freezes?

...shouldn't need to as poses should not affect set, saved morphs, particularly in a region that isn't affected by the pose. Going to try turning off scaling to see if that works. 

• DripDrip Posts: 1,153
    edited September 2019
    Sevrin said:

You know!

I don't know about that. Personally, I've never gotten IK chains to work properly when I've tried to pose a figure by moving the end of said chain (like pulling on a hand, or end of a rope to reprosition it). Instead, evarything goes haywire with things twisting at odd angles and such. It's not pretty. 

I've seen something similar in other software ages ago (didn't know about DAZ IK-chains till I read this thread), which also allowed figures to connect, like, placing a hand of one character on the hip of another character. For very small pose adjustments to either character, it worked great. But it seemed like there was always some "hard limit" position, where a pose went haywire. Arms twisting upside down, knees and ankles snapping in weird angles. It was probably some mathematical problem combined with (default) pose limitations though, but I have no doubt the solution to it would be complex and require many more lines of code and possibly long datasets for each character on when to change the state of some joint. Overall, more work than it'd be worth, both for the creator of this "glue one bodypart to another characters' bodypart" and for the creator of the character (who would have to supply such a for each character created!).

Overall, this brings me to the use of standard posesets: No they don't always "fit" right. But that is not the point of these sets. They're there to provide a quick startingpoint to get to the pose you actually want. It's still faster to use some pre-made poses that are similar to the pose you want, and tweak them, than it is to pose from scratch. All those tiny details, like the gradual twist of a spine, the bend of the fingers, the bend of feet and ankles, most of those will already be in the right ballpark for where you want them. Getting the pose where you want it can take as little as 10 minutes, instead of that one hour. Unless you cut corners and leave out half those tiny details I just mentioned..

Post edited by Drip on
  • Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,579

Genesis 8 Female by height :

• Mrs Chow 8 - 5' 0" (152.7 cm)
    • Karyssa 8 - 5' 2" (158 cm)
    • Mika 8 - 5' 3.5" (161.29 cm)
    • Teen Jane 8 - 5' 4" (162.7 cm)
    • Mei Lin 8 - 5' 4" (163 cm)
    • Teen Josie 8 - 5' 5" (165 cm)
    • Gabriela 8 - 5' 5" (165.2 cm)
    • Sakura 8 - 5' 5" (166 cm)
    • Teen Raven 8 - 5' 6" (167.8 cm)
    • Stephanie 8 - 5' 6" (168 cm)
    • Teen Kaylee 8 - 5' 6" (168 cm)
    • Mabel 8 - 5' 6" (168 cm)
    • Edie 8 - 5' 6" (168 cm)
    • Bridget 8 - 5' 6" (168.1 cm)
    • Charlotte 8 - 5' 7" (170 cm)
    • Sydney 8 - 5' 7" (170.3 cm)
    • Aiko 8 - 5' 7" (171 cm)
    • Babina 8 - 5' 8" (173.0 cm)
    • Alexandra 8 - 5' 8" (173 cm)
    • The Girl 8 - 5' 8" (173 cm)
    • Olympia 8 - 5' 9" (175 cm)
    • Eva 8 - 5' 8" (175.3 cm)
    • Tika 8 - 5' 9" (175.6 cm)
    • Penny 8 - 5' 9" (176 cm)
    • Kala 8 - 5' 9" (177.1 cm)
    • Monique 8 - 5' 10" (178 cm)
    • Latonya 8 - 5' 10" (178 cm)
    • Ellithia 8 - 5' 10" (178.3 cm)
    • Kanade 8 - 5' 11" (179.9 cm)
    • Zelara 8 - 5' 11" (180 cm)
    • Gia 8 - 5' 11" (180 cm)
    • Victoria 8  - 6' 0" (183 cm)
    • Tasha 8 - 6' 0" (183.1 cm)
  • frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

So what's the problem with Daz women being too tall? There are Daz solutions, too!

https://www.daz3d.com/the-guillotine

• Maybe Daz males are just too short.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,965

I think they are thinner than average making them look taller than they really are. You'll have an easier time convincing DAZ to making them shorter and smaller than making them thinner.

• Thing is that the head is too small when the length is reduced. A total length of eight heads is not realistic. In art school, 7 1/2 heads is considered normal for a woman.

• Thing is that the head is too small when the length is reduced. A total length of eight heads is not realistic. In art school, 7 1/2 heads is considered normal for a woman.

7 1/2 heads is considered "average" for any adult. The key word here is "average". A tall person (male or female) will likely have a higher head count (8- 8.5 heads high, or more), while a shorter character will have a lower head count (5-6 heads or less). 

So what's the problem with Daz women being too tall? There are Daz solutions, too!

https://www.daz3d.com/the-guillotine

...laugh

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

7.5 heads is average in real life but when you use that measure for 2D image figures tend to look short an dumpy so 8.5 to 9 heads is used.  Just look at some of the brothers Hildebrandt's art where they used the 7.5 average.

• jestmart said:

7.5 heads is average in real life but when you use that measure for 2D image figures tend to look short an dumpy so 8.5 to 9 heads is used.  Just look at some of the brothers Hildebrandt's art where they used the 7.5 average.

Not necessarily. And, by the same token, if you're trying for a shorter character, using 7 heads or less is ideal. Several of my characters are less than 7 heads tall, for the simple reason that they're 5'6" or shorter. 

• In my writing project, the lead female character is 4'11".  Needless to say, there is no Daz character that even comes reasonably close.  I guess your satisfaction levels with Daz's choice of heights relates directly to both your visual needs and your personal experiences. (I'm 5'2".  My roommate at university was 4'11"... so she got the lower cabinets, and I had to go buy a ladder!)

• There are a couple of freebies out there that let you change the height and proportions of characters, particularly for the Genesis base figure. 

• There are a couple of freebies out there that let you change the height and proportions of characters, particularly for the Genesis base figure. 

I couldn't live without my hundreds of Genesis morphs :-)  It's one of many reasons I have no urge to 'upgrade' to later iterations of Genesis, though; I make my own characters, all I'm interested in is skins...  my point was just that Daz women, in both my experience and my graphic needs, are much too tall, and consistently so.  Unless I ever needed to render my oldest girl, who at 12 was 5'11"... and then I didn't need ladders as often!  :-D

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,520
    edited October 2019

While it is true that with morphs you can get anything you want, it is also true that couple poses are often designed for the default figures, that's G8F or V8 for example. And it is true that said default figures are "off scale". For example 180 cm for G8F or 183 cm for V8 are way off the average female height. So yes, I do agree with the OP. Though I also believe there's nothing that can be done, apart may be a new G9F with more standard measures.

Another point is that it is not enough to scale down a tall figure to get a short figure, since proportions are different. So you have to manually edit the head and body and legs/arms to get the proportions right. Or I also found that applying growing up morphs takes care of the proportions so it's a easier way to make shorter characters.

Finally there was an issue with the pose tool jumping the figure when using the height fbm in the official body morphs pack, to make a figure taller or shorter. That's extremely odd in my opinion. This was around until 4.10 and should be fixed from 4.11 on.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/218061/g8f-height-changing-body-morphs-break-ik-figure-jumps-up-or-down-when-moving-body-parts

Post edited by Padone on
  • Padone said:

While it is true that with morphs you can get anything you want, it is also true that couple poses are often designed for the default figures, that's G8F or V8 for example. And it is true that said default figures are "off scale". For example 180 cm for G8F or 183 cm for V8 are way off the average female height. So yes, I do agree with the OP. Though I also believe there's nothing that can be done, apart may be a new G9F with more standard measures.

Another point is that it is not enough to scale down a tall figure to get a short figure, since proportions are different. So you have to manually edit the head and body and legs/arms to get the proportions right. Or I also found that applying growing up morphs takes care of the proportions so it's a easier way to make shorter characters.

Finally there was an issue with the pose tool jumping the figure when using the height fbm in the official body morphs pack, to make a figure taller or shorter. That's extremely odd in my opinion. This was around until 4.10 and should be fixed from 4.11 on.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/218061/g8f-height-changing-body-morphs-break-ik-figure-jumps-up-or-down-when-moving-body-parts

That depends upon how you're changing the height of your figures. The morphs I use adjust the actual proportions of the characters, not simply the heights. 

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,579
    edited October 2019

That depends upon how you're changing the height of your figures. The morphs I use adjust the actual proportions of the characters, not simply the heights. 

It's almost X Scale and Z Scale ajustments (by default these parameters are hidden for the figures).

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • The real issue is that just about every one either uses Genesis 8 base characters (both 5' 11") or V8 & M8 (V8 is 6 foot 1/2 inch and M8 is 6 foor 4 inches) to create thier pose sets.  If someone, for instance, wants to pose Me Lin 8 and the The Brute 8 using a standard pose set, there will be a pretty big mismatch and a while lot of rework.  I think if Daz made the base G8 characters a more reasoinable height (G8M @ 6' foor and G8F @ 5'6' to 5'9"), the poses would be more realistic.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,945

My mother pointed it out to me and I have not been able to unsee it since

Actors and TV personalities nearly all have big heads

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

My mother pointed it out to me and I have not been able to unsee it since

Actors and TV personalities nearly all have big heads

And fat wallets!