[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 3 Male to Genesis 8 Male (Now Conv JCMs) [Commercial]

Comments

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,392
    inquire said:

OK, thanks, RiverSoftArt. I didn't see the distinction in the folders. I guess it does make more sense to me now.

Glad to help.

inquire said:

Hi, it's me again. This time with another question. It's about the anatomical elements or gens. For the Genesis 3 Male, there were some fine products that came out with added morphs for the DAZ gens. I'd like to be able to get these morphs into the Genesis 8 DAZ gens. Will either of these scripts pick up morphs on the anatomical elements and transfer them to the G8 anatomical elements? If so, which script should I use? I realize that in the DAZ Content Pane, these are under Anatomy and not under Characters, so that's why I'm wondering.

Oooh, that is a good question.  I don't know.  I never use the gens and certain don't have morphs for it.  I don't think it will work, but you can try the Convert Scene Character.

• Submitted an update:

• Added ability to convert corrective morphs (JCMs, MCMs)
    • Added ability to detect and load "Actor" and "Preset/Character" presets as well as "Character/Actor" presets
    • Added new conversion process
    • Added more status messages to dialog during conversion
    • Fixed to strip out special characters from Vendor, Product, and Item Name as that can cause problems for saving the morphs
    • Added legacy conversion, hide eyes, and convert corrective morphs options
    • Added Reset Options button
    • Updated Manual with new conversion process and to note about corrective morphs being converted now
  • *thumbs up* Sounds great. I've had no major issues so far. I was actually able to get a Michael 4 GenX morph (Jepe's Jonah for M4) to carry over although it was trial and error till I finally got it right. ;-). It's not 100% perfect but looks fine to me. I'm not seeing any distortion except around the lower eyelid and it's a very trivial thing. I have to really zoom in to see it. The Genesis 3 men though have all looked perfect to me. Changeling Chick's Cillian on G8 looks flawless.
  • GlenWebb said:
    *thumbs up* Sounds great. I've had no major issues so far. I was actually able to get a Michael 4 GenX morph (Jepe's Jonah for M4) to carry over although it was trial and error till I finally got it right. ;-). It's not 100% perfect but looks fine to me. I'm not seeing any distortion except around the lower eyelid and it's a very trivial thing. I have to really zoom in to see it. The Genesis 3 men though have all looked perfect to me. Changeling Chick's Cillian on G8 looks flawless.

Fantastic!  Thanks for sharing.  I am sure there are people keenly interested. smiley

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    GlenWebb said:
    *thumbs up* Sounds great. I've had no major issues so far. I was actually able to get a Michael 4 GenX morph (Jepe's Jonah for M4) to carry over although it was trial and error till I finally got it right. ;-). It's not 100% perfect but looks fine to me. I'm not seeing any distortion except around the lower eyelid and it's a very trivial thing. I have to really zoom in to see it. The Genesis 3 men though have all looked perfect to me. Changeling Chick's Cillian on G8 looks flawless.

Alright, alright. We need some pics. :) I would LOVE to see the end products! :)

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099
    GlenWebb said:

Did you carry it over from M4 to Genesis 1, then to this Character Converter product, or, as I'm guessing, from a higher version of Genesis, such as Genesis 3?

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 826
    edited September 2019
    inquire said:
    GlenWebb said:

Did you carry it over from M4 to Genesis 1, then to this Character Converter product, or, as I'm guessing, from a higher version of Genesis, such as Genesis 3?

Transferred from M4 to G3M so the morph carried over from the transfer with the Scene Converter option. I did discover two issues: one with the Eyes Squinting dial and the Happy HD expression. Applied at 100%, one eye squints more than the other. I typically dial each eye squinting option seperately so it's not an issue for me. I've had problems in the past with Jepe's characters and GenX playing nicely and assuming this was an issue with the G3 version of my character but I never noticed it before. A trivial issue for me. With the Happy HD expression applied, the eyes go wide-eyed, like he's really super-happy excited to be Happy HD. hahaha

I will try to show a quick render soon, but it's going to be Daz soon as I have a lot of stuff rendering at the moment.

Post edited by ZippyGuitar on
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

OK. Thanks so much for your answer.

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited October 2019

I think I'm totally lost... I selected the G3M Characters folder and it told me there were no characters there. I'm seeing Abel, Aran, Brayden, Chase, Cian, Dash.... etc, etc. I let it search some of the folders inside Characters.  It found ... vampire bites. indecision  What exactly is a character then?

I was able to do a scene-convert of Brahm for G7M to G8M and they look like twins.

Brahm G8M Twins.png
    750 x 642 - 501K
    Brahm G8M Twins No Expressions.png
    750 x 642 - 558K
    Post edited by sandmanmax on
  • Obviously, I was asleep at the wheel last night... I got up this morning and the Character Converter User Guide is staring me in the face.  And right in the middle of the screen, it says "Add Character presets to the input list, use the Add Files or Add Directory buttons to select Character presets from your library."  [head smack]

• Obviously, I was asleep at the wheel last night... I got up this morning and the Character Converter User Guide is staring me in the face.  And right in the middle of the screen, it says "Add Character presets to the input list, use the Add Files or Add Directory buttons to select Character presets from your library."  [head smack]

Oh good. it works now?  It found your characters?  I am glad.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited October 2019

Ok, I've tried to convert a character again and the new method is great for fixing the wobby irises, but there's something clipping that I can't quite figure out what it is. I totally get that the G3 eye texture won't work properly with G8, but it's not the eye texture that is the problem. I also noticed that the eyes are clipping through the lids when the eyes are shut, something that doesn't happen on the G3 side (which could be completely related to the first proclem). Everything else is really really close. (The converted character is on the left)

As a sidenote, I still can't get the preset converter working...I get an error when it's trying to save. (I'm wondering if it's because I'm selecting an output folder on a different drive from my DAZ install that's the problem.) But the in-scene converter works and that's what I have attached. 

Capture.JPG
    1728 x 1166 - 281K
    Capture.JPG
    1691 x 641 - 234K
    Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • Ok, I've tried to convert a character again and the new method is great for fixing the wobby irises, but there's something clipping that I can't quite figure out what it is. I totally get that the G3 eye texture won't work properly with G8, but it's not the eye texture that is the problem. I also noticed that the eyes are clipping through the lids when the eyes are shut, something that doesn't happen on the G3 side (which could be completely related to the first proclem). Everything else is really really close. (The converted character is on the left)

As a sidenote, I still can't get the preset converter working...I get an error when it's trying to save. (I'm wondering if it's because I'm selecting an output folder on a different drive from my DAZ install that's the problem.) But the in-scene converter works and that's what I have attached. 

They look very close to me (BTW, that skin looks great that you have).  I don't see the clipping in the left photo.  For the eyes closing clipping, did you transfer the JCMs?  A lot of characters have JCMs to fix issues when eyes closed is engaged.  For that matter, does the original character have JCMs to copy for that?

With the saving, can you post the log?  Are you saving to a directory that the Daz Content Manager knows about?  Perhaps if the content manager does not know about the directory, it can cause problems.  Or a network share?  (that is a known problem).

edited October 2019

Ok, I've tried to convert a character again and the new method is great for fixing the wobby irisis, but there's something clipping that I can't quite figure out what it is. I totally get that the G3 eye texture won't work properly with G8, but it's not the eye texture that is the problem. Everything else is really really close. (The converted character is on the left)

Ok, I've tried to convert a character again and the new method is great for fixing the wobby irises, but there's something clipping that I can't quite figure out what it is. I totally get that the G3 eye texture won't work properly with G8, but it's not the eye texture that is the problem. I also noticed that the eyes are clipping through the lids when the eyes are shut, something that doesn't happen on the G3 side (which could be completely related to the first proclem). Everything else is really really close. (The converted character is on the left)

They look very close to me (BTW, that skin looks great that you have).  I don't see the clipping in the left photo.  For the eyes closing clipping, did you transfer the JCMs?  A lot of characters have JCMs to fix issues when eyes closed is engaged.  For that matter, does the original character have JCMs to copy for that?

With the saving, can you post the log?  Are you saving to a directory that the Daz Content Manager knows about?  Perhaps if the content manager does not know about the directory, it can cause problems.  Or a network share?  (that is a known problem).

I'm referring to the black spots you can see in the white of the eye on the left. He's built off Michael 7, so I would imagine there are JCM's to control the eyes. I took a screenshot of what's showing active for the squinty pose and those are the same JCM's I see on the G3 character when he's doing that pose (but no eye clipping). They're from Darius 7 and Michael 7. The one difference, however, is that there are additional JCM's that the G3 figure doesn't have (3rd attatchment)...and those are providing what seems to be extra squinty-ness...when I remove them, the clipping goes away but he's not nearly as squinty. Actually, now that I try that specific pose on the Daz proprietary "Michael 7 for Micheal 8" he's also clipping with that pose...so I'm chalking it up to that specific pose not working without adjustment for anytihng but G8 and Nix 8. Cross that one off! Whew!

And thank you on the skin! It's Michael 7 with custom tweaking. 

In regards to the log, I'll be working on converting a couple other characters, so I will try the preset script first and get back to you. I do have one addition, however, I noticed that I'm now getting tons of duplicate formula errors and I'm not sure how to resolve those. I've attached a copy of the log file with some of those. I'm not sure why I can't attach the text file here, so here it is on mega - 

https://mega.nz/#!WQN0xaaB!NejFg5A1Z_9xHDu7mApCEk1GbVAhTBeqThTIzFNiSvg

Capture4.JPG
    776 x 539 - 66K
    added controllers.JPG
    386 x 389 - 31K
  • Ok, I've tried to convert a character again and the new method is great for fixing the wobby irisis, but there's something clipping that I can't quite figure out what it is. I totally get that the G3 eye texture won't work properly with G8, but it's not the eye texture that is the problem. Everything else is really really close. (The converted character is on the left)

I'm referring to the black spots you can see in the white of the eye on the left. He's built off Michael 7, so I would imagine there are JCM's to control the eyes. I took a screenshot of what's showing active for the squinty pose and those are the same JCM's I see on the G3 character when he's doing that pose (but no eye clipping). They're from Darius 7 and Michael 7. The one difference, however, is that there are additional JCM's that the G3 figure doesn't have (3rd attatchment)...and those are providing what seems to be extra squinty-ness...when I remove them, the clipping goes away but he's not nearly as squinty. Actually, now that I try that specific pose on the Daz proprietary "Michael 7 for Micheal 8" he's also clipping with that pose...so I'm chalking it up to that specific pose not working without adjustment for anytihng but G8 and Nix 8. Cross that one off! Whew!

In regards to the log, I'll be working on converting a couple other characters, so I will try the preset script first and get back to you. I do have one addition, however, I noticed that I'm now getting tons of duplicate formula errors and I'm not sure how to resolve those. I've attached a copy of the log file with some of those. I'm not sure why I can't attach the text file here, so here it is on mega - 

This error can occur when you have converted the same character twice (or more), and have unchecked the Overwrite Existing Morphs checkbox without deleting the morphs.  The best thing to do is delete all morphs and the controller property from the data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 3/(Fe)male/Morphs/VENDOR NAME/PRODUCT NAME folder and reconverting the character.  Alternatively, you can try a solution from the forums (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22220/duplicate-formulas-error-solved-thank-you-bejaymac)

edited October 2019

Ok, I've tried to convert a character again and the new method is great for fixing the wobby irisis, but there's something clipping that I can't quite figure out what it is. I totally get that the G3 eye texture won't work properly with G8, but it's not the eye texture that is the problem. Everything else is really really close. (The converted character is on the left)

This error can occur when you have converted the same character twice (or more), and have unchecked the Overwrite Existing Morphs checkbox without deleting the morphs.  The best thing to do is delete all morphs and the controller property from the data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 3/(Fe)male/Morphs/VENDOR NAME/PRODUCT NAME folder and reconverting the character.  Alternatively, you can try a solution from the forums (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22220/duplicate-formulas-error-solved-thank-you-bejaymac)

I think I'm all set. I deleted those three offending files and I'm no longer getting the error...and my character preset I made last night still works. However, I'd still like to figure out the black spots on the white of the eye...I hope it's not something I have to live with and Photoshop out every time. I'm sorry to be such a pain!

I also tried the preset converter again and attached that log file...the error it gives is "failed to save morph asset". 

txt
    txt
    Character Converter Log.txt
    Capture4.JPG
    776 x 539 - 66K
  • Ok, I've tried to convert a character again and the new method is great for fixing the wobby irisis, but there's something clipping that I can't quite figure out what it is. I totally get that the G3 eye texture won't work properly with G8, but it's not the eye texture that is the problem. Everything else is really really close. (The converted character is on the left)

I think I'm all set. I deleted those three offending files and I'm no longer getting the error...and my character preset I made last night still works. However, I'd still like to figure out the black spots on the white of the eye...I hope it's not something I have to live with and Photoshop out every time. I'm sorry to be such a pain!

For the black spot, the only thing I can suggest is delete the morphs from file explorer and try converting again using different tolerance.

I also tried the preset converter again and attached that log file...the error it gives is "failed to save morph asset". 

Ok, there are a few things that look off to me.  Could you PM me your email address and I will send a special version?  Also, can I have a log from using the Custom Scene Character script to compare against?

For the black spot, the only thing I can suggest is delete the morphs from file explorer and try converting again using different tolerance.

Ok, there are a few things that look off to me.  Could you PM me your email address and I will send a special version?  Also, can I have a log from using the Custom Scene Character script to compare against?

Is there a way for me to save the conversion I already have of him before trying again with a different tolerance? I don't want to risk losing what I have because he came out so amazing and I can Photoshop out the black in the eyes (not that I want to). But I don't want to end up with something worse and not get back what I had, lol. Once I know I can save his conversion off somewhere as a backup, I'll try re-converting (tolerance higher or lower?) and then PM you the log from the scene script. 

edited October 2019

Is there a way for me to save the conversion I already have of him before trying again with a different tolerance? I don't want to risk losing what I have because he came out so amazing and I can Photoshop out the black in the eyes (not that I want to). But I don't want to end up with something worse and not get back what I had, lol. Once I know I can save his conversion off somewhere as a backup, I'll try re-converting (tolerance higher or lower?) and then PM you the log from the scene script. 

Just save those morphs to a directory NOT in the morphs path.  I actually store mine in the My Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Male/Old Morphs where the real ones are in My Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Male/Morphs

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
    edited October 2019

Just save those morphs to a directory NOT in the morphs path.  I actually store mine in the My Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Male/Old Morphs where the real ones are in My Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Male/Morphs

Okay - one thing I just noticed was that the preset script will work fine with marketplace characters (Micahel 7, Elijah 7, etc)...so maybe that's the way it's supposed to work? I assumed you could use your own saved character presets. If that is the way it's supposed to work, then we're all set with the not being able to save issue and we can cross it off the list. 

In terms of transfers, I tried out a number of characters and most transferred over fine. Michael 7, Elijah 7, and Gwenbleiz all look great, just like in your promos. However, Darius 7 and Lucian 7 are ones that I cannot get to transfer. I tried every combination of current process, legacy process, hide eyes, etc and none of them worked. All result in the same wobbly eyes. If you have either of those characters, I would love to know if you had luck with them. (I don't know if it makes a difference, but Darius 7 and Lucian 7 both seem to have way more JCM's and therefore take way longer to transfer than the ones who came out flawless, like MIchael 7, etc. Darius took about 5min and Lucian took about 7, while Michael took maybe 2.)

• Oleg (my custom morph of Ivan 7) seems a little concerned about the new clone.  There's something... missing here.  G8M makes a nice son but not a body-double.  This was a Scene Character conversion.  Right after the conversion finished, he was somewhat splinched (see 2nd screenshot) but he reloaded intact but not identical to Oleg.  Any ideas?  I'll probably keep him anyway. I like having the younger version. Oh - wait.... this might have been before I installed the update.  Would that do it?  I'll try again and see if it's any better.

Ivan 7-Oleg and G8M Clone.jpg
    613 x 409 - 42K
    Oleg G8M Splinched.jpg
    789 x 645 - 83K
  • sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited November 2019

It must have been the old verison.  I redid the conversion and now we have Oleg's younger brother.  Still in the family.  It's also possible that what I'm seeing is simply the Ivan 7 texture vs G8M default.  But little bro is definitely shorter.  I'm happy - I wasn't looking for identical twins, just family members.  So... what should I name them?

Oleg Bros.jpg
    583 x 341 - 30K
    Post edited by sandmanmax on
  • Bummer - I lost Junior's morph and got a bunch of duplicate file errors, even though they're in different folders.  I'll worry about it tomorrow.  If I can't track down the errors, I'll post the details.

edited November 2019

Okay - one thing I just noticed was that the preset script will work fine with marketplace characters (Micahel 7, Elijah 7, etc)...so maybe that's the way it's supposed to work? I assumed you could use your own saved character presets. If that is the way it's supposed to work, then we're all set with the not being able to save issue and we can cross it off the list. 

In terms of transfers, I tried out a number of characters and most transferred over fine. Michael 7, Elijah 7, and Gwenbleiz all look great, just like in your promos. However, Darius 7 and Lucian 7 are ones that I cannot get to transfer. I tried every combination of current process, legacy process, hide eyes, etc and none of them worked. All result in the same wobbly eyes. If you have either of those characters, I would love to know if you had luck with them. (I don't know if it makes a difference, but Darius 7 and Lucian 7 both seem to have way more JCM's and therefore take way longer to transfer than the ones who came out flawless, like MIchael 7, etc. Darius took about 5min and Lucian took about 7, while Michael took maybe 2.)

First off, I apologize!  I don't know how your post fell through the cracks.  No, this script works with much more than the marketplace characters.  I was able to convert Lucian and Darius just fine, though they were before the JCMs support was added.  You can always try converting those two with the JCMs option OFF to see if that makes a difference (it shouldn't).

Converted Darius 7.jpg
    1380 x 1602 - 204K
    Lucian 7 and 8.jpg
    2131 x 1556 - 386K
    Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • It must have been the old verison.  I redid the conversion and now we have Oleg's younger brother.  Still in the family.  It's also possible that what I'm seeing is simply the Ivan 7 texture vs G8M default.  But little bro is definitely shorter.  I'm happy - I wasn't looking for identical twins, just family members.  So... what should I name them?

I am glad you got it working.  The scaling is weird though.  Have you been deleting the morphs between runs?

Bummer - I lost Junior's morph and got a bunch of duplicate file errors, even though they're in different folders.  I'll worry about it tomorrow.  If I can't track down the errors, I'll post the details.

I think this happens if DS is trying to load the same morphs multiple times for the same figure generation.  Since these two are two different generations, I am a little confused.  Have you been deleting the previous attempts morphs before trying another attempt?

• No, I assumed since they were in separate folders, that I didn't need to delete them.

• No, I assumed since they were in separate folders, that I didn't need to delete them.

It depends on the Overwrite Morphs option what happens when you convert the same character twice.   Unchecked and nothing really gets changed.  Checked and the script uses DS to delete the morphs first, but that is VERY SLOW.  It is better to delete the previous conversion's morphs from File Explorer.

• is there a way to reset the scripts...for some reason the female 8 to 3 stopped working for me ..i made a post on the section, and put the log file....

• is there a way to reset the scripts...for some reason the female 8 to 3 stopped working for me ..i made a post on the section, and put the log file....

You can try uninstalling and reinstalling.  Make sure all copies of the script and its files are gone after uninstalling.  If multiple copies of some of the files are installed (especially from earlier versions), this can stop a script from working.