What the hell is Gordig doing now?

1212223242527»

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,169
    edited February 16

Meet Mikey, the owner of the garage, and Clara, his ace mechanic. Looking at them next to the garage, it looks like I may have to scale the entire scene down, because Mikey, my first troll, is 226cm tall, well over 7', and even he looks small.

Garage.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by Gordig on

I also spent an inordinate amount of time over the last several days combining a bridged figure and a couple different FBX exports to get all of Mikey's JCMs and morphs working correctly. It was probably unwise to spend all that time on a character I don't see myself figuring very largely into the story, but I guess it's good experience.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

If you don't mind my asking, what do you do with the sets once you've made them?  Liked the gunstore for example.  Signage looked like you had fun.

They're for an animation project I've been developing based on Shadowrun. This set is one of the major recurring locations, and while I'm working on it, I'm also creating new characters and fleshing out the world.

edited February 17

I moved Mikey and Clara into the gun shop to see if the scale worked out. To my relief, it does. I finally "finished" up with Jimmy Chang, the owner of the gun shop and dropped him in there.

I say "finished" because there's more work to be done. For one, the War Dog shirt doesn't cleanly fit him, but that would be a relatively easy fix. After all the work I put into making his various prosthetics work with his base skeleton, I'd need to start over with a different approach if I wanted to have any hope of using his morphs and expressions. Perhaps most frustratingly, I made him a dwarf, but didn't give him pointy ears.

Jimmy's Shop.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by Gordig on

Gordig said:

They're for an animation project I've been developing based on Shadowrun. This set is one of the major recurring locations, and while I'm working on it, I'm also creating new characters and fleshing out the world.

Missed that one & would’ve been right up my alley.  Oh well.  Some amazing stuff out of Houdini & Arnold.  He looks pretty good.  Tempting to hare off & try it but better learn more in DS.

Anyway, leave you to your work without any more interuptions.  Thanks for reply & best wishes.    

"Missed" what? The project is still very much in development, if that's what you're talking about. Everything there is to see about it at this point has been showcased in this thread.

I'm a substantial part of the way through getting Jimmy fully rigged and ready to go. I really should have started this process with the main characters, but I'm certainly learning some important procedural lessons. Really wish the bridge correctly transferred morphs. I only get a couple pairs of JCMs, a lot of expressions are missing, some morphs horribly overfire or trigger things that they shouldn't....it's a mess, but I am learning that it's important to start with a bridged character because at least then I get properly aligned joints.

edited February 18

Gordig said:

"Missed" what?

Game you mentioned.  Looked it up & would’ve been around the time a group of us playing pencil & paper RPGs.  My bad.  Sloppy writing with implied the pronoun.  How the heck were you supposed to know what was referring to!

Anyway, won’t interrupt further.  Enjoy your week! 

Post edited by Tynkere on

Started focusing more on characters, which has largely involved finding the best workflow for bringing characters from DS into C4D and Houdini. To my great delight, FBX export has been fixed in recent versions of DS such that I can now export a character with geografts and not only get the entire character with geografts, but also morphs. The most recent version of the Daz to C4D bridge still has some bugs, but it's not too terribly hard to get it fully working. I also figured I should get back into experimenting with facial mocap using Moves by Maxon. I won't share my previous tests with it (although it might be worthwhile for me to go back and apply lessons I've learned to those), so here are the two most recent, both made after trimming my beard and moustache such that the camera can actually see my lips.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,779

Wow, you've been busy! Some very cool work.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,825
    edited February 26

very cool yes

I use PoseRecorder in DAZ sometimes and it hates my crooked face, works fine on videos of other people's faces so feel your pain with the beard and mustache

I think any markerless facial mocap will have that issue

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Because I'm incapable of focusing on one thing at a time, I downloaded a free horse animation and did a quick and dirty retarget to a G8M centaur.

I could probably make it look better if I put a bit more work into it, but there's a pretty affordable pack of good-looking horse animations on CGTrader that I just bought in the middle of typing this post out, so I'll give those a more thorough working over. If I understand the license correctly, I could even sell the animations retargeted to centaurs and DH2/3 if I wanted to.

Apart from that, I've mostly just been working with naked people, so not a lot to share about my recents goings on.

That's more like it. It's a little frustrating that all the animation is in a single sequence rather than different takes, but it'll be easy enough to extract different parts,

I spent a while setting up a centaur for ragdoll simulations, and there were some...unexpected results.